4K TVs

Definitely something I'm worried about when we buy our new TV in Portugal is whether it'll play games OK, need to do very thorough research before buying.
Well after that incident, I decided I would have to spend more than the £1,000 I'd budgeted for, so ended up spending £2,000 on the Panasonic DX902b, which gets top-marks everywhere due to the backlighting matrix.

Even that, I'm really disappointed with. I wouldn't say motion was clear - when a camera pans across a line-up of footballers, their faces form one long streak - and playing games, any dark areas produce a trail. In FIFA, a player with black hair leaves a trail as he moves along.

On top of that, the reflective screen is, frankly, fucking ridiculous. It's like a mirror. Why the hell have they done that? AND. It leans backwards, on the stand. They say this is so that it has a lower risk of falling forwards and smashing. But... During those moments where your TV isn't crashing to the floor... THE TV IS LEANING BACKWARDS. You can't position yourself to be head-on with the TV. It will always lean backwards.

But, I didn't send it back because no other TV at the time had reviews that were anywhere near as good. I've just been looking up replacements this morning - I was going to try and sell it locally - but even the best replacements have issues. Sony's XE90/93 have four HDMIs, but two of them are locked to 25p/30p. What the fuck.

I don't have an AV receiver, and don't intend to buy one because I don't have a use for one - not when I can just wire the TV to my Logitech Z5500 surround unit via an optical cable (I bought it in 2004 and it's absolutely perfect for a small living room).

So yeah, I'm stuck with a TV I don't really like, which I paid £2,000 for, and anything that's considered better is absolutely stupid money I could never afford anyway. Really not happy with current TVs.

My Sony KDL55W905 was, and is, absolutely incredible for 1080p content. The best TV I've ever had. Suddenly, 4K comes along, and... I feel like overall TV packages have got worse, not better. No TVs get everything right.

Ouch that really sucks :( Our projectors have been pretty flawless when it came to gaming, and the last TV I bought (which I used as a monitor) was the PHILIPS 40"LED/FHD/50Hz/TT2C which I stumbled on for sale and it was brilliant with my PC which surprised me, sadly had to leave that behind in Sweden (with our three projectors and shit loads of other stuff!).

Well after that incident, I decided I would have to spend more than the £1,000 I'd budgeted for, so ended up spending £2,000 on the Panasonic DX902b, which gets top-marks everywhere due to the backlighting matrix.

Even that, I'm really disappointed with. I wouldn't say motion was clear - when a camera pans across a line-up of footballers, their faces form one long streak - and playing games, any dark areas produce a trail. In FIFA, a player with black hair leaves a trail as he moves along.

On top of that, the reflective screen is, frankly, fucking ridiculous. It's like a mirror. Why the hell have they done that? AND. It leans backwards, on the stand. They say this is so that it has a lower risk of falling forwards and smashing. But... During those moments where your TV isn't crashing to the floor... THE TV IS LEANING BACKWARDS. You can't position yourself to be head-on with the TV. It will always lean backwards.

But, I didn't send it back because no other TV at the time had reviews that were anywhere near as good. I've just been looking up replacements this morning - I was going to try and sell it locally - but even the best replacements have issues. Sony's XE90/93 have four HDMIs, but two of them are locked to 25p/30p. What the fuck.

I don't have an AV receiver, and don't intend to buy one because I don't have a use for one - not when I can just wire the TV to my Logitech Z5500 surround unit via an optical cable (I bought it in 2004 and it's absolutely perfect for a small living room).

So yeah, I'm stuck with a TV I don't really like, which I paid £2,000 for, and anything that's considered better is absolutely stupid money I could never afford anyway. Really not happy with current TVs.

My Sony KDL55W905 was, and is, absolutely incredible for 1080p content. The best TV I've ever had. Suddenly, 4K comes along, and... I feel like overall TV packages have got worse, not better. No TVs get everything right.
Motion Blur was a HUGE issue for me when I moved from a 51" Plasma TV to a 60" LED Samsung TV.... I sent that bugger back to Currys as I paid £2000 for a TV that was supposed Blur Free... was it fuck!

I have a 55" Sony Bravia XD85 now and whilst it still has Motion Blur which I CANNOT STAND for gaming.... I am used to it now and don't notice it anywhere NEAR as much.

In our Living Room we have a 65" LG OLED... my god that thing is STUNNING but the price? was a cool £3500.....

I read that the JS was better than the KS for gaming (don't know if it's true or not), so bought one a while ago at an absolute bargain price, and when I got it home, it was doing this:

Samsung wouldn't do anything about it because it was the older model, and I had a right job getting a refund from the shop, who "couldn't recreate it". Thankfully, they caved after I sent them a link to the video above ten times a day.

Wouldn't buy a Samsung again (just my experience)...

I didn't see the JS mentioned when I was scouring AVF for a 4K, HDR TV so I have no idea if it's better for gaming. I've had no problems with gaming at all gaming on the PC or Xbox on it. The KS is newer though so I hope they made it better haha.

I got mine from Richer Sounds and they give a 5 year warranty with it as well so if I have any issues I should be OK.

Yea the ks 8/9000 are nice with a nice picture and low input lag around 20ms. Had one but returned because it was faulty and got an OLED instead. The difference in image quality is noticeable. 2016 oleds have input lag in the 30s for game mode which is still fine, but the 2017 models are lower. One thing to mention though LG significantly lowered brightness in hdr game mode and a lot of people have been complaining. Keep that in mind if you're planning to get one.

Anyone know anything about the LG 55UJ630V? 55" 4k, really good price so looking to get it, need to know ASAP if it's bad! :)

Edit: Reading the rtings review: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uj6300

I bought the 43" version on Amazon when it was £379 during Prime Day.

Tried it out for the evening and thought the picture wasn't great compared to my current HDTV.

Personally wouldn't recommend it as was very disappointed with the HD picture.

Tried a few 4K videos on it, but considering would watch 99% of TV still in HD I returned it to Amazon.

I see, thanks for the feedback, ordered it so hopefully it'll be ok! Also needed a new fridge, cooker, washing machine, and this is a fairly local store so was ideal :)

Oh, Lol. Sorry.

If you click on the "settings" part in that rtings link you'll get their calibrations for your TV. I'll link it here anyway. It tells you what you need to turn off and change.

Panasonic Australia features a range of 4K HDR TV's that comes with stunning cinematic picture quality, incredibly precise color reproduction along with smart TV features and in elegant designs. Checkout the website below.

http://www.panasonic.com/au/consumer/televisions/premium-ultra-hd-tvs.html

Yea the ks 8/9000 are nice with a nice picture and low input lag around 20ms. Had one but returned because it was faulty and got an OLED instead. The difference in image quality is noticeable. 2016 oleds have input lag in the 30s for game mode which is still fine, but the 2017 models are lower. One thing to mention though LG significantly lowered brightness in hdr game mode and a lot of people have been complaining. Keep that in mind if you're planning to get one.

I got me a LG B7 OLED on Sunday.

I'm blown away by it, I didn't realise how bad the blacks were on LCDs and how bad they deal with them when something bright is on the screen until I got this.

Anything HDR looks unbelievable now on it as well. OLED is definitely the way forward.

I got me a LG B7 OLED on Sunday.

I'm blown away by it, I didn't realise how bad the blacks were on LCDs and how bad they deal with them when something bright is on the screen until I got this.

Anything HDR looks unbelievable now on it as well. OLED is definitely the way forward.
Welcome to the club!

If you're having issues with HDR game mode being dark then I'd suggest putting dynamic contrast on high. I don't know if the 2017 models get as dark as 2016 models though.

There were reports that recent firmware updates apparently made HDR darker but I was on the latest one from the get-go and so it looks fine to me.

I tested out Stranger Things last night in 4k HDR as it has some nice dark scene and boy does it look good :)

Nice. I assume you got it calibrated?

Btw Game HDR is darker than the other HDR modes. So if you tried an HDR game don't be surprised if it looks darker. That's when you put dynamic contrast on high to compensate as suggested elsewhere :)

But again I don't really know the differences between 2016 and 2017 hdr game though. Yours might be better than mine.

Not professionally but had a good read on other forums for pictures settings and found some I liked then tweaked them a bit myself.

I've been played Assassins Creed Origins on PC in HDR and that looks amazing. I can't remember if I used game HDR or not but its nice and bright, ill have to look at it and see what difference it makes with other HDR modes.

Last edited:
Speaking of TVs I’m getting maybe a component to HDMI box for my PS2 since the wall mount on my 2009 32” LG HDTV (1080p) blocks the cable insert

I know... I've seen the reviews before and I so wanted this TV but sadly it's only available in the USA. I don't know why they do this. Feels like I'm living in the 80s and 90s again.

Think I'm about to get this Samsung 50 MU6100 that's 4K and HDR at a good price
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/mu6100

What do you think, eh @Lami ?
It looks just ok, but isn't good enough if you're getting it for HDR. It doesn't have a wide color gamut. How much are you willing to spend?

Check out this part in the link:
HDR on the MU6100 is unremarkable, as the HDR peak brightness is inadequate and the lack of a local dimming feature and of a wide color gamut option can't really set it apart from a normal SDR TV.

It looks just ok, but isn't good enough if you're getting it for HDR. It doesn't have a wide color gamut. How much are you willing to spend?

Check out this part in the link:

Well, 4K TVs are very expensive here unfortunately.
For instance, that one is GBP 625 (USD 796).

Well, 4K TVs are very expensive here unfortunately.
For instance, that one is GBP 625 (USD 796).
Heh. That's cheaper than what's on offer here for that TV. But I guess our wages are higher so maybe not a fair comparison.

Do you guys have tcl p607 or r617? Those are supposedly budget TVs and have good HDR and low input lag.

@Lami you seems to have a good aknowledge about TV

I want to buy this one: https://icecat.co.uk/en/p/samsung/ue49mu6440sxxn/led-tvs-UE49MU6440-40101421.html

My budget is 700 Euros, and i want a 49" TV at least
I don't really care about size, but my living room is big and i'm far from the TV.

If you've (or somebody else) got a TV to purpose, even not a Samsung but good for HDR... I will follow your advice
Thanks in advance!
Hi Vialli. You're in Italy right? You can check the TV stores you have see what they have on offer for 700 euros. Or list them here so I can check all your options.

@Chuny you can do the same as well.

If any of you can find the TCL p607 or r617 though that should be a very good budget TV for HDR and gaming.

No, i'm from Belgium mate :) from Mons/Bergen (if you know where it is, in the "french" region)
But italian from origin, there's many where i live

Thanks for responding that quick, i will take a closer look to both TV you've purpose if i found them.
What do you think about the Samsung from the link? I always buyed Samsung, and never been disappointed.

To be honest, i don't care of all others functionnality (like smart TV) having a good image/HDR and at least 3 HDMI ports, one for my TV box, the two other for my PS4 pro and my raspberry with Recalbox on it

Edit: i've checked both TCL, and i remember that i've already thinked about buying one of those...
But unfornately unvalaible in Belgium, or even France :(
Delivery or not. They're hard to find and rare it seems

Edit 2: I've found here on amazon, the TCL U55C7006 version, but with 42 euros in more from the delivery lol

Last edited:
No, i'm from Belgium mate :) from Mons/Bergen (if you know where it is, in the "french" region)
But italian from origin, there's many where i live

Thanks for responding that quick, i will take a closer look to both TV you've purpose if i found them.
What do you think about the Samsung from the link? I always buyed Samsung, and never been disappointed.

To be honest, i don't care of all others functionnality (like smart TV) having a good image/HDR and at least 3 HDMI ports, one for my TV box, the two other for my PS4 pro and my raspberry with Recalbox on it

Edit: i've checked both TCL, and i remember that i've already thinked about buying one of those...
But unfornately unvalaible in Belgium, or even France :(
Delivery or not. They're hard to find and rare it seems

Edit 2: I've found here on amazon, the TCL U55C7006 version, but with 42 euros in more from the delivery lol
I've been trying to respond earlier but the forum was down for a minute.

I've looked at it. There are other TVs out there with that budget. Check out the Samsung MU7000 or the LG SJ810v. The MU7000 has better contrast. The SJ810v has a 120hz panel compared to just 60hz, and bit better HDR performance. The SJ810v also has Dolby Vision in addition to HDR and HLG, which is useful when watching shows on Netflix (I don't know where else it's used). Both have excellent low input lag at around 15ms.

I've checked out Mediamarkt and coolblue. I don't know if you have access to these or not where your are though. If you can list other shops you can buy from so I can have a look too.

Here's the SJ810v from coolblue.

@Chuny You might want to look at these options as well, see if they fit your budget.

IMPORTANT EDIT: Ignore my post for a moment. I'm checking a few things before I confirm. Please be patient :D

EDIT 2: Check my post on the next page for clarification.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom