4K@60hz VS 2560x1440@144hz

Chuny

-
11 December 2007
Hey!

I'm getting a new monitor this month and I've been wondering for a while now what would be the best option for me. So I hope you can help me out, and by helping me you may be helping others out there.
I've looked at, literally, more than 20 monitors for the past couple of weeks. I'm a little dizzy already.

I mostly play PES and FIFA (occasionally of the newer games as well, but very rarely really. I'm playing Hitman these days, but haven't played another game other than PES or FIFA since GTA V came out). So please bare that in mind.

Are PES and FIFA capped at 60fps?.

I'm getting a GTX 1080 TI (11GB) soon after the monitor too. But I don't know which monitor would work the better for football games.

Is 144hz noticeable and recommended for football games? Or is it better to play at native 4K@60hz?.

Right now these are the options I've been looking at with extra desire:
- https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-27UD68P...TF8&qid=1496259546&sr=1-1&keywords=lg+27ud68p
- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-U2...d=1496259568&sr=1-1&keywords=Samsung+U28E590D
- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LC...5568313&sr=8-2&keywords=samsung+monitor+144hz
- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LC...e=UTF8&qid=1496260624&sr=8-1&keywords=C27H711
- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Preda...61636&sr=1-2&keywords=2560x1440+monitor+144hz

Thanks!

Last edited:
I've tried pes 2017 at 1440@144Hz and it is not good - stuttering and jerkyness galore, although fps meter stood stable at cca. 142fps.
Had to put frame limit to 60-ish Hz via nvidia inspector and it became smooth as a butter. I guess pes 2017 isn't cut out for anything above 60Hz. Is 2018 perhaps going to be? Who knows ... probably not.

Don't know about fifa.

Hey!

I'm getting a new monitor this month and I've been wondering for a while now what would be the best option for me. So I hope you can help me out, and by helping me you may be helping others out there.
I've looked at, literally, more than 20 monitors for the past couple of weeks. I'm a little dizzy already.

I mostly play PES and FIFA (occasionally of the newer games as well, but very rarely really. I'm playing Hitman these days, but haven't played another game other than PES or FIFA since GTA V came out). So please bare that in mind.

Are PES and FIFA capped at 60fps?.

I'm getting a GTX 1080 TI (11GB) soon after the monitor too. But I don't know which monitor would work the better for football games.

Is 144hz noticeable and recommended for football games? Or is it better to play at native 4K@60hz?.

Thanks!
1. FIFA is not capped at 60fps. If you set it in NVIDIA driver to Highest Framerate it runs with smooth 144fps when GSync is on. It runs smooth like butter on my PC. Don't know about PES.

2. In my opinion it's all about the smoothness of 144hz, games looking incredible at that Framerate with 1440p. In fast scenes (not only for FPS games) the graphic looks way, way and I mean way better. When you look around with a character in a game the smoothness gives you such a different feeling. Make sure you get a monitor with GSync, it's the cherry on the ice. I mostly played FIFA 17 on PC and I don't want to play ever again on it without the 144hz.

Take in mind that you buy a PC monitor and not a TV. For a big TV always the better resolution. The difference on a 26"-28" monitor between 1440p and 4k is not that big that you will see such a big difference that it matters. On 4k you will sometimes struggle to reach the 60fps, even with that great GPU you want to buy. The difference you will always notice is the smoothness.

Just my opinion, I'm using that monitor btw. https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01784K78A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

From your links, that Acer monitor looks the best.

Last edited:
I've tried pes 2017 at 1440@144Hz and it is not good - stuttering and jerkyness galore, although fps meter stood stable at cca. 142fps.
Had to put frame limit to 60-ish Hz via nvidia inspector and it became smooth as a butter. I guess pes 2017 isn't cut out for anything above 60Hz. Is 2018 perhaps going to be? Who knows ... probably not.

Don't know about fifa.
It has always been an issue with PES.

PES 17 will even stutter if you play at 59Hz @ 59FPS.

Anything other than 30, 60 or 120 will look bad. 60 is the sweetspot. 120 FPS might look good but you might notice some jerkiness.

From what I have been told by people, is 1440 with a 144HZ monitor with G-Sync is superior to current 4K monitors.

Gaming in 4K is still not really achievable on PC's and you will spend most of your time playing games in 1440 anyway.

One thing which used to annoy me when I had a 60HZ monitor is the amount of screen tearing, this might of been improved but you had to keep turning on V-Sync.
So I would I get a 144HZ monitor everyday of the week at the moment, 4K monitors need to get to at least 100HZ before I even consider buying one.

Last edited:
4k is very possible on PC. But don't expect 60 FPS on all games.

Even a GTX 1060 can do 4k pretty well. Digital foundry proved it.

Nevertheless, 4k or 1440p or 144Hz or whatever it is, I am only getting it if it's G-sync. The amount of stutters due to inconsistant 60 FPS is driving me nuts. And 144Hz monitors didn't help preventing stutters either. So, if I were you, I would get G-sync monitor.

So, popular consensus dictates that 1440p@144hz with G-Sync is the best way to go right now.
Later this year the first 4K+144hz+G-Sync are getting out. But you can expect them to be above U$S1000. Go figure...

I would be interested in seeing the Digital Foundry report on 4k gaming on a 1060, when I borrowed a 4K Asus monitor with my 1070 it only managed 4K gaming on Medium to High settings.

Whilst I was testing it Tomb Raider looked at it's best in 1440 as everything was completely maxed out, where in 4K to get it running smoothly I had to turn off enough graphical settings that is didn't look as good.
1440p maxed out with full AA looked better than 4K on medium IMO.
However although the game ran like shite, when maxed out in 4K it did look very good indeed - but I do stand by unless you own a 1080TI I wouldn't even bother with 4K.

4K monitors with 144Hz are meant to be coming this year, as an Acer model is meant to be getting released very soon, so maybe Chuny you should save for another year and get a 144hz 4K monitor this time next year and a 1180GTX when launched.

You would be amazed to see the very little-to-none difference that there is between ULTRA LEVEL OF DETAIL AND HIGH (and sometimes even MEDIUM)... And yet you still gain some extra FPS.

You would be amazed to see the very little-to-none difference that there is between ULTRA LEVEL OF DETAIL AND HIGH (and sometimes even MEDIUM)... And yet you still gain some extra FPS.

If you cant tell the difference between Medium and Ultra settings why are you even considering 4K?

It is true that Ultra isn't very different from Very High. But medium... no way.

Ultra is near impossible for my GPU anyway (Except Fifa games) because even at 1080p ultra I cant manage 60FPS.

Being that said, FiFA 17 there is noticeable difference between ultra and very high in cutscenes. With ultra, the 3d model of the kits move and shows creases along with the normal map. That is very noticeable and looks realistic.

I can manage 60fps very high at 4k. But I rather play at 2880x1800p Ultra 4x msaa. Looks better.

If you cant tell the difference between Medium and Ultra settings why are you even considering 4K?

Well... 4K for the resolution mostly. I do free-lance Web/Graphics Design, and wouldn't kill me to be ble to use 4 times my actual screen and even split it in two, or three or fourr, to use different programs at the sime time, like Dreamweaver, Photoshop and a Web-Browser to check the changes of what I'm doing in the actual website.

But as I said in my first post, also for gaming. I don't game most of my free time, but I do, like, about 30%.
So with 4K I would be killing to birds with the same shot. But I don't like the fact that I can't go beyond 60hz for gaming.

TBH Chuny, you are in exactly the same boat as me, you want 4K but the monitors just don't cut it at the moment.

I am waiting for them to be 100hz minimum before I buy one, as would buy a 1440 but if I upgrade my monitor now I want 4K.

I am going to wait a year and hopefully next summer 4K 144hz monitors will be available and 4K gaming will be more realistic with the next generation of Nvidia cards.

Sure. I don't know if you're on a budget but 4K monitors @144hz will hurt my pockets...

Sexy 34'' ... but it's using ultra-wide 21:9 resolution. Wanna bet that new PES won't support ultra-wide? :D

Stop tantalizing yourself. Grab some nice g-sync 1440p@144Hz 27''+ beast and enjoy the present.

Sexy 34'' ... but it's using ultra-wide 21:9 resolution. Wanna bet that new PES won't support ultra-wide? :D

Stop tantalizing yourself. Grab some nice g-sync 1440p@144Hz 27''+ beast and enjoy the present.

You're probably right about both.

The thing is though, I live in Argentina, and since are overlypriced down here, I'm getting it through one of the Europe Amazon sites (English Amazon, German Amazon, etc). And for some odd reason, the taxes for 27'' monitors make the overall price go to hell. A 500 pound monitor goes to 1000 pounds or so. I may have to get a 24 one :(

1. FIFA is not capped at 60fps. If you set it in NVIDIA driver to Highest Framerate it runs with smooth 144fps when GSync is on. It runs smooth like butter on my PC. Don't know about PES.

2. In my opinion it's all about the smoothness of 144hz, games looking incredible at that Framerate with 1440p. In fast scenes (not only for FPS games) the graphic looks way, way and I mean way better. When you look around with a character in a game the smoothness gives you such a different feeling. Make sure you get a monitor with GSync, it's the cherry on the ice. I mostly played FIFA 17 on PC and I don't want to play ever again on it without the 144hz.

Take in mind that you buy a PC monitor and not a TV. For a big TV always the better resolution. The difference on a 26"-28" monitor between 1440p and 4k is not that big that you will see such a big difference that it matters. On 4k you will sometimes struggle to reach the 60fps, even with that great GPU you want to buy. The difference you will always notice is the smoothness.

Just my opinion, I'm using that monitor btw. https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01784K78A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

From your links, that Acer monitor looks the best.

So... I think I'm getting the same monitor you have (because I'm second to none... LOL).

Anything I should know about? Are you disatisfied with it in any way? Any warnings?...

For example, I found this in one of Amazon's review by somebody who bought it:

When I first turned this monitor on, not gonna lie, it was very underwhelming. Colors were washed out and it was too bright. You HAVE to calibrate this in order to see its true potential. Here is what I finally landed on. Use this for yours or atleast a starting point. You should be able to play games without adjusting in game brightness. Here we go.

Nvidia Control Panel>Adjust desktop color settings:
Brightness-50%
Contrast-50%
Gamma-0.60%
Digital vibrance-70%
Hue-0
CLICK APPLY

DELL Monitor settings:
Brightness-26%
Contrast-75%
Color>Custom Color:
R-97%
G-99%
B-96%

*Also, download the latest driver for this monitor on Dell's website.

And you're welcome :)

Last edited:
So... I think I'm getting the same monitor you have (because I'm second to none... LOL).

Anything I should know about? Are you disatisfied with it in any way? Any warnings?...

For example, I found this in one of Amazon's review by somebody who bought it:
Well I use a custom ICC colour profile with this monitor. On stock the colours are a bit pale, yes, but easy to fix with that profile. I can provide the colour profile if you will get this monitor. You can simply set it via Windows colour management.

Well I can't be happier with that monitor, the picture quality is great, fast response time, Gsync beauty, it has no flaws (like clouding etc. on Acer) and the style of the monitor itself is professional. What's crazy about it, it seems that this monitor never catches dust, always so tidy without needing to clean :D

Maybe if you want to hear something negative, there is sometimes a bit "ghosting" when you scroll fast on black text on a white background but really, how often do you scroll fast on a word document and stare at the letters? :D Otherwise there is nothing negative.

Last edited:
Well I use a custom ICC colour profile with this monitor. On stock the colours are a bit pale, yes, but easy to fix with that profile. I can provide the colour profile if you will get this monitor. You can simply set it via Windows colour management.

Well I can't be happier with that monitor, the picture quality is great, fast response time, Gsync beauty, it has no flaws (like clouding etc. on Acer) and the style of the monitor itself is professional. What's crazy about it, it seems that this monitor never catches dust, always so tidy without needing to clean :D

Maybe if you want to hear something negative, there is sometimes a bit "ghosting" when you scroll fast on black text on a white background but really, how often do you scroll fast on a word document and stare at the letters? :D Otherwise there is nothing negative.

OK you got me. Just ordered through Amazon.
So pretty please, send me the Color Profile!
BOOM!

Thank you very much.

Here you go > https://www.sendspace.com/file/xv126r
https://www.sendspace.com/file/xv126r
Simply set it for the monitor in Windows colour management after you installed it :)

I've just received and connected the Monitor.
I installed the drivers and then I loaded your profile but I couldn't notice any change.
Could you take a couple of screenshots from your Profile Manager to see what everything's supposed to look like, from the different tabs there?.

Thanks!

I've just received and connected the Monitor.
I installed the drivers and then I loaded your profile but I couldn't notice any change.
Could you take a couple of screenshots from your Profile Manager to see what everything's supposed to look like, from the different tabs there?.

Thanks!
2Pl0txg.png

The other tabs have actually nothing do with it. It's a massive difference, you should notice it. It actually changes the colour when you login into Windows after a reboot. You will always see the old colour for 1-2 seconds, then it changes.

Don't know what went wrong for you.

2Pl0txg.png

The other tabs have actually nothing do with it. It's a massive difference, you should notice it. It actually changes the colour when you login into Windows after a reboot. You will always see the old colour for 1-2 seconds, then it changes.

Don't know what went wrong for you.

Thanks Cesc. It's working now =) Very nice indeed.

I'm getting a GTX 1080 TI next week. But I don't know which one is the best. So many options.
MSI
Gigabyte
Asus
Zotac

I want the best one. Any advice guys?

Great to hear it's working now :)

Normally Zotac are the fastest version on stock, I think. I advice you to ask bsmaff, he is the specs guru :D

Sorry been away a few days, the cards are all very different.

What they call the founders editions are normally just Nvidia PCB's and fans with the re-sellers name on the product.

The other cards the PCB and fans are made by the actual manufacturer and Nvidia just supply the GPU chip.

The clock speeds vary a little bit, from being minor to quite abit out the box.

For instance Palit:-
Their Game Rock Extreme
Graphics Clock OC Mode:1594/Gaming Mode:1556/Silence Mode:1518
Boost Clock OC Mode:1708/Gaming Mode:1670/Silence Mode:1582

Their normal bog standard:-
Graphics Clock 1480MHz
Boost Clock 1582MHz

I personally don't have brand loyalty when it comes to makers of GFX cards, as never had any issues with any brands.
I normally look around at the prices, as at the moment I have a Palit and had an MSI before and various other brands.
And never noticed the difference in reliability and never had any issues with the so called lesser brands.
You will though pay a premium for Asus, Gigabyte products as they are the big brands. So you will be able to find a Palit or other none top brand with custom coolers and higher clock speeds for probably around £40-£50 less.

Sorry been away a few days, the cards are all very different.

What they call the founders editions are normally just Nvidia PCB's and fans with the re-sellers name on the product.

The other cards the PCB and fans are made by the actual manufacturer and Nvidia just supply the GPU chip.

The clock speeds vary a little bit, from being minor to quite abit out the box.

For instance Palit:-
Their Game Rock Extreme
Graphics Clock OC Mode:1594/Gaming Mode:1556/Silence Mode:1518
Boost Clock OC Mode:1708/Gaming Mode:1670/Silence Mode:1582

Their normal bog standard:-
Graphics Clock 1480MHz
Boost Clock 1582MHz

I personally don't have brand loyalty when it comes to makers of GFX cards, as never had any issues with any brands.
I normally look around at the prices, as at the moment I have a Palit and had an MSI before and various other brands.
And never noticed the difference in reliability and never had any issues with the so called lesser brands.
You will though pay a premium for Asus, Gigabyte products as they are the big brands. So you will be able to find a Palit or other none top brand with custom coolers and higher clock speeds for probably around £40-£50 less.

Thank you for the explanation.
In the end, I bought this one:

P_setting_000_1_90_end_500.png

I should get it next week.

I have a newbie question.
I've never installed a GFX myself.
Until now I had the one in my signature (a Sapphire Radeon Tri-x R9 290x 4gb Ddr5 Oc Gddr5), which I already removed and sold. When I get the GTX 1080 TI, what should I do?. Step by step, from hardware to software, drivers, Overclock?.

I really don't want to pay someone to install the whole thing, because I'm sure it shouldn't be hard.

Installation:-
You seem to know how to install components so won't be an issue for you, only thing is to make sure you have the correct connectors for it.

Software:-
Throw disk with GFX card in nearest bin or use as coffee coaster, and download the latest Nvidia drivers from the net.
Sometime you also have to install the Nvidia experience separately so make sure you do that too, as with Nvidia cards you can now run a game once - go to the Nvidia experience and click Optimise, you will now have the optimised settings for that game with your system spec.

As for overclocking, never done it with a GFX card due to bad experiences friends and colleagues have had.
CPU's on the other hand..

Installation:-
You seem to know how to install components so won't be an issue for you, only thing is to make sure you have the correct connectors for it.

Software:-
Throw disk with GFX card in nearest bin or use as coffee coaster, and download the latest Nvidia drivers from the net.
Sometime you also have to install the Nvidia experience separately so make sure you do that too, as with Nvidia cards you can now run a game once - go to the Nvidia experience and click Optimise, you will now have the optimised settings for that game with your system spec.

As for overclocking, never done it with a GFX card due to bad experiences friends and colleagues have had.
CPU's on the other hand..

But how would I go about removing my current AMD Radeon information off my system so there won't be compatibility issue after installing the NVIDIA one?.

Back
Top Bottom