• When a winger attacks from the corner flag

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • At some other time

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

James Beaver

Championship
21 December 2014
A while back I asked the same question about Fifa on a Fifa forum. There the answer was "When it is moving the ball around outside the box."

Last edited:
Justice_d70a0d_1805805.gif

I was thinking about this the other day.

I think PES is deadliest when the AI has the ball and refuses to give it up, passing around the midfield (or the defence), retreating as soon as you try to pressure them, and giving you a 0% chance of getting the ball (leading to those 90%+ passing accuracy statistics).

FIFA, strangely, is the exact same - except, instead of passing backwards if you charge at them from any distance, they keep the ball until you're about 3ft away, and only THEN pass the ball away (or dribble past you instead).

I'm enjoying Become a Legend at the moment, but some games have finished with ridiculous possession stats (the best I've seen is 89% - 11%) because one team just refuses to take a risk, and the other team isn't allowed close, and unless you increase the match time to 30 minutes it's not going to be a fair game (and possibly not even then)...

I love the game but I definitely think it's fair to say some elements are broken. Strong word, but stats like that aren't right.

I love the game but I definitely think it's fair to say some elements are broken. Strong word, but stats like that aren't right.
I just finished a game where the CPU pass completion was 76%. Like FIFA, passing stats can be improved by lowering speed ratings and shot power ratings, which throws off the game's preset pass programming. Broken is a strong word but not in the case of PES, there are several elements in the game that don't work properly or flat out don't work period. But some of that can in fact be "fixed" with a bit of editing.

I just finished a game where the CPU pass completion was 76%. Like FIFA, passing stats can be improved by lowering speed ratings and shot power ratings, which throws off the game's preset pass programming. Broken is a strong word but not in the case of PES, there are several elements in the game that don't work properly or flat out don't work period. But some of that can in fact be "fixed" with a bit of editing.

Editing Speed and Shot Power stats to improve passing stats? Are you sure?

Editing Speed and Shot Power stats to improve passing stats? Are you sure?
FIFA has the same high pass % issue although, unlike PES, it can be half-corrected via raising the pass error sliders. PES programming works the same way that FIFA does, albeit not as effectively. Like other player ratings, passing is to a large degree programmed according to default rating levels. If you lower shot power and running speed for all players, it throws off the default passing programming so to speak, resulting in a higher number of missed passes... passes that are not strong enough to reach the player, and players not being able to run fast enough to reach the pass.

Last edited:
We've got a small sample of votes here, but I'm going to draw some conclusions anyway.

What PES superstar and Fifa world class / legendary seem to have in common is that neither can play good attacking game on the break. In the real sport, when your opponent counters quickly, leading to a 3-2 or even 2-1, you're in trouble. But in these games at least I feel that it's usually pretty easy to stall the attack. Neither programming team went through the trouble of including effective counters.

Another interesting thing here for me is that my choice "when a winger attacks from the corner flag" is not a winner. There are a couple of different ways to read this result, but I'm gonna go with the interpretation that some players are better in defending against these types of attacks. Either they can play the front man better, or they control the CB to block passes and use teammate pressure up front. (I'd actually like to know which case it is.) I have gradually shifted towards the use of teammate pressure, even though I resented it's use for a long time. Every really good PES defender I have seen playing has used teammate pressure.

What PES superstar and Fifa world class / legendary seem to have in common is that neither can play good attacking game on the break. In the real sport, when your opponent counters quickly, leading to a 3-2 or even 2-1, you're in trouble. But in these games at least I feel that it's usually pretty easy to stall the attack. Neither programming team went through the trouble of including effective counters.
That's not what I see. In PES, if you play with a high defensive line or with an attack formation, and the CPU is playing counter-attack tactics, the CPU will continually lob the ball forward to its FWs who are racing forward, resulting in a lot of breakaways if not defended properly. If you want to see this in action, edit a CPU team to play counter-attack/long pass, and assign the long ball/cross traits to its players.

FIFA also has this same sort of counter-attack programming but only in a couple of special instances, including the last few minutes of a game when the CPU is down by a goal and needs to score. That's when you often see the CPU frantically lobbing balls ahead to its FWs in the same sort of way. The other time you'll see this in FIFA is if you raise the line sliders for the purpose of bringing your team forward to attack. The CPU will read this and respond by kicking the ball up the pitch to its FWs who are standing at midfield alongside your CBs.

Last edited:
That's not what I see. In PES, if you play with a high defensive line or with an attack formation, and the CPU is playing counter-attack tactics, the CPU will continually lob the ball forward to its FWs who are racing forward, resulting in a lot of breakaways if not defended properly. If you want to see this in action, edit a CPU team to play counter-attack/long pass, and assign the long ball/cross traits to its players.

FIFA also has this same sort of counter-attack programming but only in a couple of special instances, including the last few minutes of a game when the CPU is down by a goal and needs to score. That's when you often see the CPU frantically lobbing balls ahead to its FWs in the same sort of way. The other time you'll see this in FIFA is if you raise the line sliders for the purpose of bringing your team forward to attack. The CPU will read this and respond by kicking the ball up the pitch to its FWs who are standing at midfield alongside your CBs.

I am not sure whether we disagree or whether we are talking about two different things. If you're saying that the CPU is looking for 1 vs. 1 with the keeper by having a player upfield and using a pass to deliver the ball to him, then I agree.

What I meant by "on a break" is, say, a 3-2. In such a case I think neither PES nor Fifa know what to do effectively. I think this is reflected in the results of these polls.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom