Your Game of the Year 2014

Scutch

Futsal Master
31 October 2006
Cumbria, UK
Tottenham Hotspur
A year that promised so much, but in truth actually delivered very little.

All the big titles were put back to 2015, but a surprise release of GTA V for next gen consoles was nice.

Game of the Year for me was Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor. Thoroughly enjoying it. I was half tempted to trade it in after 4 or 5 hours play, but having sat down with it and actually following the missions instead of running around hacking and slicing off Orc's heads, it's been one of the most entertaining games I've played. Up to 20 hours in now and only 25% done overall. Sadly it's single player only, but for a welcome break away from Fifa 15, it's all good and it's keeping me away from GTA V, Forza Horizons 2 and Far Cry 4 - which I haven't even bought yet.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/09/26/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-review

Mine's Shadow of Mordor. It was a very unexpected surprise as I never thought it would be that good for me. Yes I did see some of the gameplay clips before and somehow knew it's going to use a combat system similar to batman's, but that's it. I didn't expect it to engulf me and that nemesis system it introduced was really nice. The mechanics, graphics, just everything felt almost perfect everywhere for me. Was a very nice and finished gaming experience as well which is hardly the case nowadays. I enjoyed every bit of the 110 hours I've spent on it, and still do once a week.

this is a tough one.

For me, dont laugh, but PES 2015 on PS4. I cant stop playing it.

Special mention for Far Cry 4 as well, love it.

For me nothing. 2014 was dark age for me. I blame UBItheft.
I'm Just looking forward to pCARS and GTA V PC version.

Last edited:
I would personally say for me 2014 was a poor year for gaming, I can't say I played too much which was amazing or even very good..

I will go back through my Steam list later tonight and have a ponder, but for me 2014 was a very disappointing year - especially after 2013, which bought both Last of Us and GTA V to the table.

Watchdogs was a disappointment, AC: Unity has more performance issues than an 80's Skoda. But I also have not really played many new games this year (have Placebo and Bohemia to blame for this), will play some more over Christmas.

But I can say without doubt Worst Game of the Year easily goes to Alien Isolation - no game should ever, ever be that boring.

2015 I would expect though will have some better games released, The Order, Uncharted.. I am sure there will be some more games which will come since the consoles have now been out a year. Also of course forgot the game which will easily be GOTY for me next year Batman: Arkham Knight.

To sum it up 2014 will be remembered as: "THE YEAR OF DELAYED GAMES"

Last edited:
I enjoyed Shadow of Mordor very much, it was one of those bloody good games which nobody anticipated!

I have to say though, my favourite 2 games come from the indie scene.

I'm talking about Broken Age and This War of Mine.

Those two were simply masterpieces, so if you're wondering what to play during the holidays, I would strongly recommend them, especially This War of Mine!
Plot, story, characters, and the whole concepts are way better than the pile of crap we've seen this year!

Last edited:
Shadow of Mordor for me also for Game of the Year. I knew virtually nothing about it and played it on the basis of people talking about it on here and twitter and was very surprised.

I am a mad sports gamer so I have to mention Don Bradman Cricket as my sports game of the year, it came out in April and I still play it almost everyday, over time some of the limitations have come out but it still a solid experience for me. Also the developer (Big Ant Games) support has for this game has also been fantastic.

For me, it'd be between Dragon Age: Inquisition, Forza Horizon 2 or Diablo 3 (technically not 2014, I know. But it was for the PS4).

Also very impressed with Mario Kart 8 & Smash Bros on Wii U.

Either Dragon Age or Shadow of Mordor for me. Dragon Age I think is the better game overall, but Shadow of Mordor had one of the most innovative and entertaining new features in single player gaming with its Nemesis system.

PES 2015 for me also...played it non stop since i got it and imo the best pes game ever which makes it a pretty fukin legendary video game overall lol.

Btw SoM fans i also played 1-2hrs but found it nothing special..it gets much better?

PES 2015 for me also...played it non stop since i got it and imo the best pes game ever which makes it a pretty fukin legendary video game overall lol.

Btw SoM fans i also played 1-2hrs but found it nothing special..it gets much better?

If you swap the games mentioned above, into the others' respective sentence I agree with you completely.

:LOL:

I think there are some 3DS games that deserve to be contenders too, but don't think many here have a 3DS.

I haven't bought many new games this year at all. Couple of small Steam games, plus PES 2015 and GTA5 for PS4.

GTA is excellent, Pro Evo is very enjoyable but Game Of 2015? Wouldn't feel right to say either of them for different reasons. I enjoyed the P.T. demo a lot.

:THINK:

Does Shadows of Mordor have a storyline that it follows?

Loved the movies, but not sure about going down this route, I've never been a Skyrim or the likes gamer, so not sure what I'd think of this. Someone mentioned Batman as a similar type game, loved those games.

FD

I know not a lot of people don't have it or even care for it. Hell some fans don't even like it, but Super Smash has been tremendously fun.

Does Shadows of Mordor have a storyline that it follows?

Loved the movies, but not sure about going down this route, I've never been a Skyrim or the likes gamer, so not sure what I'd think of this. Someone mentioned Batman as a similar type game, loved those games.

FD

Me. It's close to Batman's combat system. Add to it a nemesis system. It's nothing like Skyrim. It has a story to it too and you can branch out and explore mordor. Killing orcs felt so good :SMUG:

I cant think of anything this year that has grabbed me from start to finish and left me smiling. I've enjoyed a good few games but most of the major titles like farcry, alien, Mario kart. I've started, played for a week or two and then lost the urge to rush hone and immediately stick it in and continue on.

The only game I can think of that grabbed me this year was Bro Force, and it was just an early access game at the time.

Mine was BF3 I guess, even it came out 2011.

But EA gave it away for free this year for a few days on Origin and I had a lot of joyful online games with it.
At least that one was the one I played the most on PC.

I´d add Shadow Fight 2 as well, which nearly got me addcited.
Nice Beat em up game on Android.

Me. It's close to Batman's combat system. Add to it a nemesis system. It's nothing like Skyrim. It has a story to it too and you can branch out and explore mordor. Killing orcs felt so good :SMUG:

Thanks.

May have to give this a little look later on.

FD

For all the moaning, this year I've spent more time playing FIFA, PES and Football Manager than I ever have before.

I think this has been a good year when you take the good bits and bad bits into account for all three - e.g. I love playing FIFA offline, love playing PES online and love playing Football Manager when I feel like a change.

I think the physics and (some of) the AI in FIFA deserves real credit, I'm still seeing goals etc. I've not seen before.

Otherwise... Yeah, I've not played a great deal else.

Really impressed with Driveclub (despite the inital poor reviews), my favourite driving game for a good while, but nobody else plays it so I don't have a club! :CRY:

Loving the next-gen GTA V but whenever I play it online I find it difficult to find other lower level players and seem to get gangbanged by every bastard who's level 100+.

Destiny felt great at first but then became very samey. No point having it when some of the raids need six players (has the support for playing them with a random group of players been added in yet, only I don't know five other people who play it).

Far Cry 4 I'm not impressed with but then I've never liked a Far Cry (or a Crysis actually), the trouble with any open-world game is it all becomes a bit "wash, rinse, repeat".

For me...

Fifa, I think they have done a great job, manual online is great and clubs has been more enjoyable than last season.

Shadow of mordor plays great but ive not spent too long with it yet.

GTA V is visually stunning, so much so it has hindered my progression of the story as I find myself driving around the map to catch views of the sunset!

Also have enjoyed advanced warfare after missing out a couple of versions.

I still feel like I've not seen anything that next gen on my ps4. GTA V comes the closest.

I didn't like the demo of Forza Horizon 2, don't know why but it felt a bit too slow and the handling too unresponsive for me (in comparison with 60fps Forza 5). Does the full game have more variation in the handling between cars and/or feel any faster?

Also, after reading Ken Levine's comments about Shadow of Mordor and the "adaptive" gameplay (which I had no idea about), I'll be trying to pick that up as cheaply as I can...

Purely from the time put in, FIFA 15 probably.

The games I have played/enjoyed the most though are tablet releases; Galaxy Trucker and also Star Realms. Both totally addictive and no reason they shouldnt be included in any game of the year polls :)

Honorable mentions to Drive Club which gets better all the time, Golf Club was a good attempt to bring an age-old genre into the next gen (didnt quite make it, but the dev support is encouraging) and for all the hate, I enjoy(ed) Watch_Dogs.

Back
Top Bottom