Bloodborne

Looks awesome but I'm worried, does this mean the end of Dark/Demon Souls? I'd imagine Dark Souls is too popular to end, but these games look so similar...

Looks awesome but I'm worried, does this mean the end of Dark/Demon Souls? I'd imagine Dark Souls is too popular to end, but these games look so similar...

This game is a new IP being made by the same team that made Demons Souls with Japan Studio, that's why it's exclusive for PS4. The game have no relation with future Dark Souls releases on NG consoles. We will probably see in the future a Dark Souls 3 for PS4/XBO.

This game is a new IP being made by the same team that made Demons Souls with Japan Studio, that's why it's exclusive for PS4. The game have no relation with future Dark Souls releases on NG consoles. We will probably see in the future a Dark Souls 3 for PS4/XBO.

I think you're missing my point. I know that Bloodborne is made by the same studio, which is exactly why I find it curious that it's being made at all, considering that it looks to play so much like Dark Souls. It's unusual that you have a studio make two franchises that are so closely alike.

I just find it surprising is all.

I think you're missing my point. I know that Bloodborne is made by the same studio, which is exactly why I find it curious that it's being made at all, considering that it looks to play so much like Dark Souls. It's unusual that you have a studio make two franchises that are so closely alike.

I just find it surprising is all.

Demon's Souls wasn't linked to Dark Souls. Completely different lore and worlds, yet they were made by the same developer, From Software.

This game reminds of a Van Helsing universe. Day one purchase for me, given that some of the best games last gen were the Souls games.

Last edited:
I have no idea why that's relevant to what I said, but okay.

You said it's unusual to have a studio make two franchises so alike. This is not the case with From Software. They made Demon Souls and Dark Souls which, whilst they have different worlds and lore, essentially play the same way.

You said it's unusual to have a studio make two franchises so alike. This is not the case with From Software. They made Demon Souls and Dark Souls which, whilst they have different worlds and lore, essentially play the same way.

I meant that it's unusual for a studio to make two similar franchises concurrently.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say it's unusual to recycle concepts, engines and graphics at all.

Really, what examples can you think of where a studio is producing two AAA franchises that are so similar in tone, setting, style, gameplay mechanics, and target audience?

I have hardly played every video game under the sun, but the only example that springs to mind, and it still doesn't quite fit, is Bioware with Dragon Age and Mass Effect, in that they're both party-based RPG/action games with some similar concepts and mechanics, but they are also totally different games.

I mean really, based off those gameplay vids, just swap out Bloodborne's goth setting and new weapons for medieval ones and you've basically got Dark Souls 3.

Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely not complaining - I'd love for even more games like these to come out.

Developers re-use assets all the time and especially when they can get away with it more or less unnoticed.

DS2 left most Souls gamers with a sense of something missing, as the game was far below what we could expect in terms of mob complexity. It was also fairly simple compared to DS1. Having them recycling the concept and slap another setting on it will rectify that somewhat even if I have to pay again.

PS. I don't think I'd call Demon's Souls and Dark Souls AAA titles by the way. DS2 is arguably be though.

Really, what examples can you think of where a studio is producing two AAA franchises that are so similar in tone, setting, style, gameplay mechanics, and target audience?

I have hardly played every video game under the sun, but the only example that springs to mind, and it still doesn't quite fit, is Bioware with Dragon Age and Mass Effect, in that they're both party-based RPG/action games with some similar concepts and mechanics, but they are also totally different games.

I mean really, based off those gameplay vids, just swap out Bloodborne's goth setting and new weapons for medieval ones and you've basically got Dark Souls 3.

Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely not complaining - I'd love for even more games like these to come out.

You speak as if Bloodborne will be a rival to Dark Soul series, and i don´t see that way. They have different stories, different lore, even different time in history... They also are not being released at the same time, Dark Souls 2 was released this year and i don´t see how Bloodborne can effect the sales of Dark Souls and vice-versa.

We have Assassin´s Creed games being released every fucking yearand it keeps selling a lot. In fact this year we will have 2 Assassin´s Creed games, one for NG consoles and other for OG.

mjsmith2k and i already explained to you that is a different team making the game in partnership with Japan Studios, is the same team that made Demons Souls. They actually decide to create a new IP in stead of creating a Demons Souls 2 maybe to not be a rival to Dark Soul series, however the public for both will probably be the same and i don´t see any problem about that.

Back
Top Bottom