Tactics Thread PES 2014

klashman69

Fight the Power!
28 November 2007
I Travel.
Glossary:

Sliders Explanation:

Player support:

Player support dictates how teammates move around the ball carrier.

0-6 These values instruct players to stay in their position and not move into space up the pitch to support the ball carrier. This is suitable for a defensive or long ball setup.

7-13 Players will provide balanced support, unless the player isn't in clear space, teammates won't always run ahead of the ball carrier. This is suitable for teams which have no defined, strict style and allows your team to build up with the ball in a variety of ways.

14-20 These are for attacking play where players move into space to support the ball carrier!

Support Range

Support range shows how close the players stay to around the ball carrier

0-6 These parameters will make players keep close together. This is useful for passing teams who like to dominate possession, ‘short passing game, tiki taka’. This is useful if you have a team full with short players since the team will have more options to pass to and very useful for possession teams to kill the momentum of their opponent by keeping the ball for a while.

7-13 Players keep a reasonable distance away from each over, this like with player support helps provide a nice balance for the team to play in a variety of ways.

14-20 Players spread away from the ball carrier. This is useful for teams that play on the counter attack, so players will look to provide space up the pitch and provide with to play long balls and to help spread the play. This is also very useful for play route one attacking style hoofball like you see in England with Stoke, or a team managed by Sam Allardyce.

Position Switch

Position switch dictate how much freedom players have to temporarily play in different designated positions or switch places with players in similar positions.

0-6 Means player rarely if ever switch positions and stay tactically disciplined.

7-13 Means players will now and again switch with players in a similar position. This good in regards to if a player is caught up the pitch, another can fill in temporarily for him.

14-20 This is similar to that above but If a player finds himself out of position he will then take up the nearest position designated for a while, the drop back to his designated position.

So for example if a center back charges forward, if he ends up in midfield he will stay there for a bit, then move back, same with striker coming back to defend. It's built to give you the option to give your players the choice to swap positions for bit to confuse the opposition. This is effective for teams who have many versatile players.

Pressing

Pressing is how intense your team presses the opposition team’s ball carrier. For you ‘the user’ this is important to set it up correctly, so you defend in the style which you have set you team. You can find yourself in trouble if you try to pressure aggressively and you team is setup with loose marking for example and vice versa.

0-6 Loose marking makes players stand off the ball carrier and the player will focus much more and working with his teammates as a unit to prevent spaces. This is very effective for getting players behind the ball, making it hard for h opposition team to find space, although this could invite too much pressure from the opposition and they can pin you in your own half.

7-13 Players won't actively close down the opposition, they will tend to hold their shape unless the opposing ball carrier enter is the players ‘zone’.

14-20 When set to tight, players will actively close down the opposition, 14-20 dictates how intense they move out of their formations shape to meet the ball carrier. This is good for playing against weak opponents with low technique to pressure them into mistakes but beware when using this since it will leave gaps in your defence and your team might lose its defensive structure.

Defensive Line:

Self explanatory really. This dictates how high or deep your defensive back line pushes up.

0-6 Deep line, good for getting players behind the ball and compressing space in the box, however this could invite too much pressure from the opposing team.

7-13 Normal, the team keeps a suitable defensive line

14-20 High line, Players look to push up the pitch and keep a high line. This is good to help teams push forward in attack but can leave your team very open to counter attacks.

Compactiviness:

This dictates how closely compacted your team is when closing in around the ball carrier. This is also important for when your team wins the ball back from the opposition.

0-6 The team forms up as a unit very tightly in the center of the pitch. This is effective for stopping attacks down the center.

7-13 The teams forms up defensively in a balanced manner against the opposition.

14-20 The team spreads out wide. This is effective for preventing attacks from the wings.

Shifting to Attack:

Attacking style is important for setting up your teammates run direction when you have the ball. It’s important to define the attacking style so you ‘the user’ can attack in the style you want with your players following your orders. It’s important for playing in a style which suits the individuals in the team.

0-6 Players will take their time in moving up the pitch and will prefer to retain possession. This favours possession based football

7-13 On medium setting players will move up the pitch while maintaining their shape in a balanced fashion.

14-20 On a high setting players will quickly and aggressively look to move into attacking positions. This favors counter attacking play.

Attack/Defence Levels:

Attacking style is important for setting up your teammates run direction when you have the ball. It’s important to define the attacking style so you ‘the user’ can attack in the style you want with your players following your orders. It’s important for playing in a style which suits the individuals in the team.

0-6 Players will focus on their defensive duties and not focus on attacking

7-13 Medium the players balance their focus on both defending and attacking

14-20 Players will focus on their attacking duties

Parameters Advice:

Finally you should now that: 0-6 and 14-20 dictate how extreme you want your team style to be for each parameter.

For example for player support; 14 is say relatively far from the ball carrier and 20 is very far. Parameters 7-13 dictate you want a balance but with a slight favour towards a parameter. So 7 or 8 would mean your players your players would move slightly out wide, and say 11 or 12 would make them move slightly towards the middle.

Thank you for reading the guide.

Last edited:
First I'd like to start off with some bad news. I have only one week left to do tactics for PES 2014 until possibly Christmas because I'm moving across the world and i can't use my PC, so i need a new laptop.

It will depend after if and when I get a new laptop for me to continue because I won't be able to play. I'd need to spend about £500-600 on one, possibly 8GB ram, a really good processor and good mid range card. more importantly I need this for my graphics.

Moving on. I've done some tests regarding the tactics, seems just like since 2011 they have their usual big effect, once again I have started with Barcelona and have found very interesting results with them.

The sliders have changed quite a bit, player support is now changed and is essential the other way round, Compactivness is switched around. and the new sliders in Shifting to attack dictates the speed of the buildup, and Attack/Defence level dictates how defensive and attacking orientated each player is in his movement while attacking.

I've managed to get Barca to always play like Barca with tiki taka, but they won't be unstoppable to beat, infact it's not difficult to beat them, But the key will be to get used to having less than 60% when you have Pressure at 20 the AI Swarm at you, leaving you little time and room to play. Since they have Mascherano at the back who is pretty poor and Neymar up top who is too selfish this will give you a good chance of beating them with a strong team like Bayern or PSG or evens someone like Spurs.

I've also included Combination play, I've seen the CPU use them, not all the time but I've put some in which suit each team.

The best news is we don't need to bother using Possession game or whatever this year, every tactic can be custom and the CPU will still use it.

Tactic 1: is default,
Tactic 2: is defensive and used at half time if leading by a goal, depending on opposition or leading by a number of goals
Tactic 3: is offensive and used if trailing, again depends on opposition strength, the time in the game when they will use it.

I'll upload Barcelona, Arsenal, Manchester City, Chelsea and Spurs in a bit.

I'm looking forward and can't wait to test your barca tactic. I tried a lot of your tactics last year. I really appreciate what you're doing here. Thank you!

Oh yes, bring them here :WORSHIP:

I am also experimenting a bit with tactics. Liking a lot new, proper Player Support option, which dictates how many players position themselves around the ball carrier for support in attack, also Shifting to the Attack is as necessary as a fresh air for PES.

So far I came to conclusion never to put Defense Line and Shifting to the Attack above 13, helping this way to create slower buildup and midfield battles instead of a rushed kick-n-run gameplay. Really enjoying the results so far.

Try to look for notebook with gtx 760m/765m power for native 1080p screen.. gtx 750m will do fine with resolution below. Have a good time in your travel.

If only i had that kind of money to spend 800+ pounds on one. Times are hard.

Here is Barca

sd8z.png

Last edited:
Thanks for these tactics, their much appreciated. I have a little problem. On the arsenal tactics for combinations, you have assigned one for number 10. I can't seem to assign the same as you have done as the number 10 is blanked out.

Thanks for these tactics, their much appreciated. I have a little problem. On the arsenal tactics for combinations, you have assigned one for number 10. I can't seem to assign the same as you have done as the number 10 is blanked out.

Sorry, my bad. i fixed it here:

Manchester United
8k82.png

Tottenham Hotspur
1a1c.png

Manchester City
09jf.png

Arsenal
n08h.png

Borussia Dortmund
7upq.png

Shakhtar Donesk
jofo.png

Benfica
pzvz.png

FC Porto
ehc2.png

Bayern Munich
dcsc.png

I might do about 5 More:

AC Milan, Juventus, Napoli, Marseille and Schalke.

But i'm really busy at the moment, i'll be back in about 2 weeks or so if i have a new laptop, moving across the world. I'm sure you will all be patient and instead just experiment and create you own tactics for teams an upload them here. For example the Liverpool tactic is very recent, they only changed to that formation since Suarez came back, teams change their tactics all the time, we'll have to wait till mid November to fully accustom to every team.

I'll try do another indepth slider explanation in time.

Fantastic work Klashman :WORSHIP:

I think for Newcaslte you should swap Cabaye and Anita. Cabaye has been given more freedom to roam forward while Anita has been sitting deep winning the ball

Don't worry about the lineups they will change from week to week, Some teams like Bayern and Real with Cristiano it's important certain players are in certain positions but feel free to put the players where you want. For example with Everton McCarthy should be starting, I just threw a lineup in.

The Madrid formation is designed to play around Cristiano though.

I have to say that these tactics are in general amazing. Not only do teams play a lot more like they do in real life but these tactics also help with some of the issues of the game, such as defensive lines.

A big reason why the defensive line is an issue in this game is because many default tactics use 15 or more in "Shifting to Attack". If both teams, especially noticable in BAL, have 15 or more it will become a big counter-attacking fest where none of the teams ever gets organized at the back between attacks and the defensive lines looks more like ant farms. Combine that with high frontline pressure and the mess is complete.

I've put a 'cap' on 'Shifting to Attack' at 13 and have frontline pressure 1-2 points lower than yours which I find help the match engine to become more 'realistic' in some sense.

I've played half a season of BAL since implementing your tactics using personal tweaks as mentioned above, and the game has more and more turned into a gem. The defensive lines and breathtaking counter-fests were a big issue for me but now it's quite good. Barcelona is too easy to beat though, they lose the ball in dire siutations and I scored 4 easy goals against them in CL with a crappy player. Spurs won the game 7-0 on away field, including a hat-trick from Lamela. I'm experimenting with less extreme settings and it's working somewhat. I believe in finding a balance between reality and game effectiveness and Barcelona is a hard team to get right. Maybe player editing is the only solution, I've noticed that many Barca players have quite low Body Balance and they're unable to win the ball back as much as in real life.

Thanks Klashman, you're a rare and valuable gem in the PES community.

Last edited:
Cheers for feedback everyone.

Which level are you playing on Zero? I assume superstar? Since you where concerned over the Counter Attacking fest that superstar is. The Barca tactic works best on professional, you can still beat them but usually 1-0 or at best 2-0, they dominate the game and you are forced to try and counter them.

Professional on this version is still the best and hardest level to play on, the pressure and organization of the CPU is more solid and consistent, on Superstar in general the just charge at you and totally mess up their defensive line, game, like you said and like I've seen on my game and everywhere is a pressure fest.

The tweaking down of the extreme values is good, it's about your preference, I'll keep doing them like this since I'm sure the update will balance the game out much better.

I said it so many times, I really don't think they finished superstar, it's in a experimental stage at the moment, they wanted the pressure to be intense but there is no balance on this level, the Pressure create a general lag on this level and you see so many errors from everyone and especially it hurts keepers.

After the update I'm sure superstar will change drastically along with top player with professional staying about the same. One thing I do find very surprising is people see to insist on playing on Superstar because of an almost dogmatic belief it's the hardest level, yes Konami say it is. and it has the title being the hardest but in games before PES 5 especially we have seen it where other levels have been harder. Normally in PES 2013/12/11/10/09 yes it's been correct Superstar or top player was the hardest :) But this year with the next engine problems have arose meaning professional provides the best challenge at the moment.

I always play on Professional, I prefer 'realism' and put the brakes on myself to get a better expeience. I also try to play like the team I am currently playing rather than trying to be the most effective all the time. Barcelona made so many mistakes that it would be just weird to disallow myself a clear cut chance alone with Valdes though. This year, for the first time since the first PES I played, I had to start on regular to learn the game. The difference between regular and professional isn't huge this year though. The downside with Professional is that the defender catch-up seems boosted, and the downside with Regular is that defenders seems sometimes uninterested in closing down the ball carrier which makes the defence wide open on occasion.

Spurs with 13 Switch to attack in their defensive formation @Professional feels just perfect to me both playing with them or against them. Anyway, it's just details and your tactics are simply fantastic. I've been a fan since you started doing this and this year it has a much better impact than previous versions because Konami equipped you with better tools. I wish I had half your ability to transfer real life tactics into PES tactics.

EDIT: Anyone who complains about PES2014 and haven't tested the game with your tactics doesn't know what they're talking about. I would go as far as saying your tactics makes exe-AI editing largely obsolete. That's a statement I am willing to stand by until I die! :)

Last edited:
When developing their tactic I used PSG, I got one 4-0 win( quit after being 4-0 up after 60 minutes) then kept tweaking and changing and each game was close in the scoreline but they heavily dominated every game. Noticed Macherano is a really shit center back and aiming attacks at him have me Joy, sticking Puyol there makes a missive difference.

Also Neymar up top is in general too selfish and messes up attacks here and there, this is again because all the levels this game dosen't suit pre dribblers yet or pacey players when the CPU have control. If Iniesta is there i's harder sice he's less selfish and works better passing moves. Messi is great at doing the number 10 stuff and retaining possession but he struggles badly to make any effective dribbles like in previous games, this is being looked at and will be changed in the patch. This is something I can't change and will make Barca a little easier to play against than what you would normally expect.

Thanks again for the feedback, glad it's positive, my intention was never to fix the defensive line errors at all :LOL: was simply to get every team there playing as they do in real life and making sure they where balanced enough to retain a challenge. I noticed almost immediately after looking at the tactics apart from long ball every strategy almost has a high line and even long ball has high Attack and Defence level.

The difficultly in PES for me changed in PES 2011 and has shown itself the most in 2013 and will show this year. I don't want difficulty to be intense pressure and expecting the same game but to win in a slow, laborious way passing, passing and scoring a certain goal. I want every team to pose a different challenge and play out different so every game you need to prepare differently to beat each opponent which is far harder than anything any other older PES or other football video game can offer.

Last edited:
Wow, great work here Klashman, awesome tactics! :)

Any chance to upload the tactics files or was it being done using an external option file editor (which is not available for PES 2014 yet)?

About Bayern Munchen formation, don't you want to make 4141 (flat) for them?

4 defenders
1 DM
4 Mids
1 CF

Wanted to see how it pans out on PES, as it works very fine on FIFA...

Back
Top Bottom