Battlefield 3

Indeed. I quite liked the single player campaign, and always want to finish that first before delving into the multiplayer aspect. Bad Company 2 was actually the first MP game I've properly played, and 300 hours or so later I'm still thoroughly enjoying it.

I'm looking forward to LA Noire first, but cannot wait for BF3.

Yeah I always play the single player game all the way through before delving into the MP side of things. You get a feel for how the guns/aiming etc handle, get familiar with the way the game plays. That sets you up nicely for MP I find.

New trailer due at 12pm tomorrow.

I hope they don't dumb it down over BF2 and even BC2. It's popular precisely because it offers something different to the likes of MW2 etc.

If there's any sign of killstreaks in this game, I won't be happy. Medal of Honor was made by DICE, and tried to bridge the gap between BC2 and MW2, but ended up a mess. I really hope this doesn't touch anything they tried to do with that game.

From the video, it was nice to see prone in operation, but I think it will become a snipers dream in the game - especially in long grass or surrounded by sight obstructions. Also noticed the guy mounting his LMG to the ground. Very cool. The Little Bird chopper was a great addition as well. Hopefully that will make it into the MP game, although I'm certainly not a chopper whore - much prefer the action on the ground.

I hope they don't dumb it down over BF2 and even BC2. It's popular precisely because it offers something different to the likes of MW2 etc.

If there's any sign of killstreaks in this game, I won't be happy. Medal of Honor was made by DICE, and tried to bridge the gap between BC2 and MW2, but ended up a mess. I really hope this doesn't touch anything they tried to do with that game.
+1

fucking console ports dumbing down games.

Is jonney referring to the idea that these games would be far better if they were PC only and able to use their tech more? And that by making games multiformat, makes them scale down the PC version so it 'fits' into the console versions too?

Not sure about that. Consoles can make the same game in terms of gameplay. Graphics will always suffer next to PC, but I doubt that games are being scaled down or made arcadey because of consoles. MW2 and Black Ops are all out on PC too, and sell just as well from what I can see. They play the way they do because the market dictates to developers that this type of gameplay seems to sell by the bucketload, so of course they'll just make more of them. They decide to go down that route because it's what the wider market seem to like. However, if there are any signs of killstreaks, lurching, lightning fast knife attacks etc in BF3 then I won't be a happy bunny!

Last edited:
Is jonney referring to the idea that these games would be far better if they were PC only and able to use their tech more? And that by making games multiformat, makes them scale down the PC version so it 'fits' into the console versions too?

Not sure about that. Consoles can make the same game in terms of gameplay. Graphics will always suffer next to PC, but I doubt that games are being scaled down or made arcadey because of consoles. MW2 and Black Ops are all out on PC too, and sell just as well from what I can see. They play the way they do because the market dictates to developers that this type of gameplay seems to sell by the bucketload, so of course they'll just make more of them. They decide to go down that route because it's what the wider market seem to like. However, if there are any signs of killstreaks, lurching, lightning fast knife attacks etc in BF3 then I won't be a happy bunny!

Most Mutliplatform games nowadays are scaled down to the low end machine so it can be run across all platforms fine.

This means game designs changes to be identical to all platforms such has size of the game world, amount of content the game world has, physics being implemented(crysis 2 has less physics then crysis 1) possible player count, game menu's button configurations etc etc.

And that is without mentioning graphics qualities. Point is, consoles are old tech, they have its limits, while pc's are more up to date.

Check out a game called Arma 2. That came could not be run on a console IMO even if you dumbed down the graphics only. for starters, lack of controls located in a control pad is one of the issues and lack of video memory to rendar such a massive game world 10x size as liberty city also makes it far more difficult to create a game of that complexity and scope as Arma 2.

So in a nutshell, yes, consoles are limited in gameplay that is enchanced using raw power, i.e physics, AI, game worlds etc.

Electronic Arts is setting the bar high for Battlefield 3.

Speaking during the Ad Age Digital Conference in New York City today, CEO John Riccitiello confirm it will launch Battlefield 3 in November of this year and said the publisher has rival Activision's Call of Duty series in its sights.

"This November, we're launching Battlefield 3. It's going up against the next Call of Duty, which is presently the #1 game in the game industry," he said. "A game that last year did $400 million dollars in revenue on day one. [Battlefield 3] is designed to take that game down."

Riccitiello later compared this holiday's battle between the two games to the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry in baseball and said gamers can expect to see massive advertising campaigns for both titles.

"There will be a couple hundred million dollars of marketing against these two products going head to head. We think we have the better product," Riccitiello added.

EA Games president Frank Gibeau echoed similar comments during GDC last month when he told us: "Everybody loves a heavyweight fight, and that's what this is going to be. We're here to compete."

Seriously hope they're gonna go up against COD on it's own merits rather than adapting BF3 to appeal to COD fans. In this instance the best of both worlds wouldn't be better. Hopefully they're confident enough in their own product to keep it like it's always been.

If they do go down the COD route of kill-streaks, dual wielding and other such kiddie crap then I'm happy to play Bad Company 2 for another year.

I'm starting to get worried at how good it will look on both the PS3 and 360.

DICE: Using PC as BF3 lead platform is “helping us make a better console game”

Battlefield 3 executive producer Patrick Bach is of the belief that consoles are holding development of PC games back, due to what he feels is an outdated focus by other developers.

Speaking in an interview over on Nvidia’s GeForce website, Bach believes using consoles as the lead platform in development is the “biggest problem we have today.”

“Most games are actually still based on the same core idea that the consoles are your focus, the superior platform or something,” he said. “I don’t know why. That was the truth five years ago, but the world has moved on. PCs are way more powerful than the consoles today and there are actually almost zero games out there that actually use the benefits of this.

“So for our target of what we want to hit, we are now using the more powerful platform to try and prove what we see gaming being in the future rather than using the lowest common denominator, instead of developing it for the consoles and then just adding higher resolution textures and anti-aliasing for the PC version. We’re doing it the other way around, we start with the highest-end technology that we can come up with and then scale it back to the consoles.”

Bach said that by using PC as Battlefield 3′s lead platform, console versions of the game will look better as well.

“In theory you could argue that you’re building it for a more powerful platform and that it will look crappy on consoles. That’s not the case because when you build the target high, you can then pick and choose from the target and ask what actually creates this picture and then pick the best things from that and turn that into your console solution.

“The other thing that is very interesting is that since you’re building the engine based on the knowledge that you will release it on the consoles, you actually streamline the whole technology to be able to scale back to the weaker platforms. So in the end, by, you know, painting this high-end target, you actually set a new bar and then when you scale it back.

“I think people will be surprised to see how good it looks on the consoles. We can’t show it right now, because we’re aiming to use the PC to set the bar, but it’s actually helping us make a better console game.”

Do you guys reckon the console versions will be as sharp as that PC video? Games like God of War 3 and Uncharted 2 managed to be sharp, smooth and colourful.

Regen health?
Will medics be necessary?
Can i just run and gun, then hide behind cover if i get hurt and be fine?

I heard Battlefield 2 had a good focus on team play because of the need for medics/fear of taking damage by going alone.

Last edited:
Do you guys reckon the console versions will be as sharp as that PC video? Games like God of War 3 and Uncharted 2 managed to be sharp, smooth and colourful.

Whats teh one thing in common about GOW3 and uncharted 2??
i'l tell u. they was ps3 exclusives.

Point is, to get the very best out of a system, the game should be made for that system only. When you make a game and want it to run on any console, you suffer a bit.

This is one of the reasons why many pc fans dont like to see BF3 coming out on consoles because it will effect the quality of the product.

Lets wait and see. a half arsed BF3 is stil a million times better than COD.

Back
Top Bottom