Fight Night Round 4 (PS3/360)

New Hatton v Pacquiao video :)
Hatton/Pacquiao's facial likenesses are pretty decent. Their bodies are way off and obviously generic, tattoos are well done though. No Freddie Roach in Pacquiao's corner :( Teddy Atlas now co-commentator which is cool.

Graphically it looks very nice, however punch speed is well off for Pacquiao especially, perhaps a little limited by the flaws of the person controlling him?

Oh and the music blows chunks :(

Yea, its just all inside stuff, looks nothing like a 'real' fight.

I imagine if you play against another human who wants to make a fight look good, then you could have some decent looking matches.

Same with PES/FIFA - Its better to play against another person who knows the game (of football) well and can make the video game look as realistic as possible...

Jury still out on this for me...

Yeah same here PBB I'd like to get my hands on this first before I write anything off. To me the punches don't seem to pack any real punch and there isn't much of a demonstration of inside fighting in that video. I'd like to see more of Hatton's strength coming into play. Physically they look the same, I hope they change the bodies so they don't all look generic.

I still think there are a number of a positives to draw from the video, a number of which Placebo has pointed out. I'm also impressed with the 'sweat physics', which add more realism to the game. Graphically it is stunning.

It looks really good. The thing with this game is I never managed to master the controls, always played as an arcade. Is it rewarding to do it? Does the game have some depth?

Well in this version buttons are removed, so if you never learned to analogue stick punch with the FNR3 you could be in trouble ;)

Depth? Depends how you judge depth really, FNR3's career mode was gash, supposedly they've made big efforts to improve R4's career mode, as I'm 99.999999964% about single player then hopefully that's where the depth will come from for me, presumably there'll be decent online plus legacy fights and such to enjoy, it may also have the "prison rules" mode again where intentional fouls are allowed and each round lasts until an opponent is knocked down and the fight is won/lost by being completely KO'd.

Not impressed with the commercial but fight night games have been great in the past and I've been waiting for this one for a really long time.

God I can't get enough of sports games lol!!

I've never played a Fight Night game before, this one looks great graphically, but I think it looks like a bit of a button masher from the videos (punches always being thrown...).

I'll try the demo if there is one though.

Yah Rob, one reason I only liked this boxing game (FN) was that it's totally NOT button mashing. You use right stick, so it's all about what type of punches to hit where and timing, like the UFC game, it seems its more about technique than button-mashing. thats why im looking forward to both.

Thanks for the replies, I didn't know anything about the controls of the game, having had no experience playing the games so it's good to know it's not a button-masher as I suspected may have been :).

Yah it's not, the gameplay of FN3 for example was I found really good. Not perfect but the best boxing 'gameplay' and most realistic I'd ever seen and definitely one of the game's strong points. It was the career mode among other things that sorta reduced its longevity and the game was lacking.

So if they've fixed that (I hope so), we're gonna have a really top notch boxing game on our hand. Something we haven't always had the privilege of just like currently with lack of a great Tennis game let's say.

They've gone with the whole Ali vs. Tyson thing in this one though, mostly to increase hype and for promotional purposes I suppose but we'll see how the final game plays.

Rob you should grab the FNR3 demo and check it out, in that you can still use either face buttons or analogue stick to punch but you should force yourself to use only the analogue stick as FNR4 has removed button punching.

That looks fucking terrific, sure it's a bit exaggerated but still.

Imagine if the real fight is that good ;)

Hope I can find it in a better quality.

Maybe technically, but that's arguable considering none of us have been able to try FNR4 yet, damage system seems faaaaaaaaaaaar better in FNR4.

As a sport there's no contest for me as I don't like UFC :)

In terms of gameplay definitely, but now they cut out the cheesy haymaker and parry system there is some real promise this time (especially since they also dumped the cunt Kudo Tsunoda)

Some of the interviews seem to show the people working on the game now really understand what the sport is about, and what we boxing fans want the game to be.

The new career mode (legacy mode as it's called) should be promising as well, old preview but might have been missed:

http://www.oxmonline.com/article/previews/a-f/fight-night-round-4?page=0,0

Specifically for you online whores:

On Xbox Live, World Championship mode lets you fight for belts at the regional, national, and international levels. You’ll create your own boxer, but they’ll all be leveled as far as skill ratings go, “so you’ll fight based on skill,” as Hayes puts it. We got pretty decent at Round 3, but we have a feeling that Round 4 is going to send us back to school before we can claim to have skill again… and that’s the best news we’ve had in a while.

Of course the only problem is you'll fight online against created speedy 7ft boxers, but hopefully FNR4 will have ways to balance that out, unlike the dirge Prizefighter.

Heard the US should get demo tomorrow, well at least people who have pre-ordered. Anyway us europeans can get it? Placebo?

If thats true it will be like UFC someone will probably rip it onto Usenet.

Yeah if it does come out on demo it will be available to download and burn ala the UFC demo

Back
Top Bottom