Fight Night Round 4 (PS3/360)

yeah i have lost touch will all things funny lately, well going by your reaction anyway ;))

I dont see anything wrong with it.

Its got to be better than Round 3 which felt like it was on slow motion

Some new screenies looking really nice:

946195_20090312_screen001.jpg

946195_20090312_screen003.jpg

946195_20090312_screen002.jpg

946195_20090312_screen004.jpg

946195_20090312_screen005.jpg

First Look: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/fightnightround4/news.html?sid=6206056&mode=previews

Agree with you Placebo - when I saw the footage, was not impressed.

No fluidity in the punches, they just kind of 'flick' out there from the elbow and no lower body movement.

I actually thought '3' was ok, but I'm not sure on this one at all from the vids...

I really hope this is good, Fight Night 3 is ok but it's just so limited and repetitive I think I'll reserve judgement til it's out and make my own mind up.

Wouldn't mind seeing some of the other boxers though, 'classics' don't really do it for me.

On the listen up (formerly known as 1up yours) podcast they talk about FNR4. One of the guys got to see the game this past week and said that he was impressed that the game ran at 60FPS (they demoed the PS3 version) and was told that the game engine was brand new and everything had been reworked. He confirmed that there was a HUD this time, although this can be turned off. The biggest thing that concerned me was that the blocking mechanism has been changed, whereas in FNR3 you could block 4 ways through using the analouge which was good because you could parry shots and launch your own attacks. However in FNR4 there are only 2 blocks that you can do (high and low) and this done by pressing 2 buttons on the controller, the more you block the less effective it becomes as you begin to lose stamina. To me this seems to be a bit "dumbed down" and I hope that the rest of the game isn't.

They also talked a little bit about the career mode, in FNR4 if you have an attacking style your crowd favourite stats will increase, if however you are a more technical/defensive boxer then you will get higher technical stats but will not be a crowd favourite.

However in FNR4 there are only 2 blocks that you can do (high and low) and this done by pressing 2 buttons on the controller, the more you block the less effective it becomes as you begin to lose stamina. To me this seems to be a bit "dumbed down" and I hope that the rest of the game isn't.

So you can only block high or low and not a specific side of your head/body? That sounds pretty shite.

Hmmm, next week we'll hear about the super special instant KO punch you can get after hitting 20 consecutive punches. Then the interactive pre match entrances where you can pose and taunt your opponent. The winner of the pre match taunt off will have increased adrenaline and mean you start the match invincible for 30 seconds.

Just read the gamespy preview and they said that there's no face button punching now, analogue stick only, which I really like :)

Not convinced about the whole blocking meter thing, yes it's good that the removed the overly done parry system but a blocking meter could be just as lame IMO.

i think that blocking meter might work quite well if implemented properly. it will stop people constantly blocking, because you do tire when consistantly taking punches whether blocking or not and i'm glad that parry system is gone, that 2 second gap where you can't do anything was gash.

i think the 4 point blocking system was good, but i rarely used it, i used the 2 points (head and body) most of the time as it didn't leave you open.

I think it looks great. I loved FNR3 so will be getting this on day 1. I hope they have managed to implement all the changes they have planned. Here's to hoping the career mode has been improved.

Last edited:
New Hatton v Pacquiao video :)

YouTube - Hatton v Pacquiao FNR4 hd

Hatton/Pacquiao's facial likenesses are pretty decent. Their bodies are way off and obviously generic, tattoos are well done though. No Freddie Roach in Pacquiao's corner :( Teddy Atlas now co-commentator which is cool.

Graphically it looks very nice, however punch speed is well off for Pacquiao especially, perhaps a little limited by the flaws of the person controlling him?

Oh and the music blows chunks :(

Back
Top Bottom