Burnout Paradise - PS3, 360 and PC

Re: Burnout Paradise - PS3, 360

I'm downloading it now!

\\:o/

EDIT: I love it!

Last edited:

I've not managed to get it yet, shall get it tomorrow.

Impressions?

And crucially, how does it stack up against B3? or at least the B3 demo.

played online with Tobi and i loved it! Well currently im still omline in the game - we're finding billboards and im on 8 and tobi's been stuck on 5 for a few hours now.

Managed to find some really really nice spots as well

the multi story car park - the ramp for barrel rolls near the train yard = awesome for jumping off or barrel rolling as well

Really really nice game - i didnt think a NFS style free roam would work - but ill give it to them - its worked brilliantly and breathed a load of new life into the game.

Now if only tobi could find a billboard lol

And as i typed that the cheeky bugger smashed into my rear end as i was parked by the railyard lol

Last edited:

:lol:

:lol:

It is a very good demo, certainly making me look forward to the full game, which is a definate purchase :)

For anyone who hasn't tried it, after a while, put your pad down for 30 seconds or so and enjoy the presentation :)

Little touches like that make a game, IMO.

Heads back to Pradise...

The screen goes black and white then classical music kicks in.

Last edited:

So what can you do in the online part of the demo and how many people can do it?

And are we going to give it a go tonight?

The online-side is completely free-roaming. I joined a few online games on the demo - every time a few guys were sitting there chatting about something (motherboards the first time, then the weather, then TVs). Only two people were actually driving around and before I could go and hit any of them the guy hosting the match buggered off. I'm thinking the modem killed itself out of boredom.

Yeah we could give this a shot tonight

I'm driving around and went on some train tracks and my controller vibrates perfectly like I'm going over the tracks :)

Little things like this I love :)

I am gonna be so shit online though, as I won't be able to meet anyone because I am shit at directions!

I am gonna be so shit online though, as I won't be able to meet anyone because I am shit at directions!
HAHA, brilliant! That's the thing with me and these free-roaming racing games - even with games like Oblivion I'm absolutely delighted when they include a map you can fold out and stare at for half an hour. :lol:

I like the turn-signals coming on when a turn is recommended, but you go that fast you don't really have enough time to turn... They should warn you much earlier.

HAHA, brilliant! That's the thing with me and these free-roaming racing games - even with games like Oblivion I'm absolutely delighted when they include a map you can fold out and stare at for half an hour. :lol:

I like the turn-signals coming on when a turn is recommended, but you go that fast you don't really have enough time to turn... They should warn you much earlier.

Yeah I definately need a paper map to get me places - its gonna take me years to keep pressing start and looking around the map!

I've got 68 takedowns so far, how many do you lot have?

Press right on the d pad > options > show players.

I cant get online with it because it never moves from connecting to servers or something similar

Did you get an error message about your firewall?

Gonna be controversial and say I dont like it!

Was really looking forward to it as I loved Revenge on 360 - but the open ended nature of this (like TDU), I just dont like.

I prefer the structured Events on Revenge and the online. I played online in Paradise this morning and it was just 4 cars driving round smashing into each other - like HD Bumper Cars - boring.

I know its only a demo etc, but give me the hi-octane takedown races in Revenge any day...

Hoping for a +ve full game review, cos as it stands, I'm not going to get this now :(

Gonna be controversial and say I dont like it!

Was really looking forward to it as I loved Revenge on 360 - but the open ended nature of this (like TDU), I just dont like.

I prefer the structured Events on Revenge and the online. I played online in Paradise this morning and it was just 4 cars driving round smashing into each other - like HD Bumper Cars - boring.

I know its only a demo etc, but give me the hi-octane takedown races in Revenge any day...

Hoping for a +ve full game review, cos as it stands, I'm not going to get this now :(

There has gotta be more options in the full game? you must be able to just race in just races etc online. I think it will be great.

Well, I've just played online with a mate. Brilliant stuff.

To tell you all the truth, I hate the single player though, because it makes me thinks of all the annoyances I had straight away with it.

I hate using the triggers for acceleration and braking instead of X and Square

I hate the lack of motion blur meaning theres no sense of speed (though I noticed the speed online, so thats now a null point)

I hate the crash cam that kicks in before you actually crash

I hate the fact that unlike PS2 Burnout games (especially B3), the crashes aren't spectacular enough, in B3 you used to fly into space or near enough when you hit something. Not realistic, but damn funny.

and various other little niggles.

Still, I've gotta stop comparing it to B3, and start playing it more anyway. I'm buying it regardless.

Last edited:

I hate using the triggers for acceleration and braking instead of X and Square
It's great like this on the 360, but it would completely wind me up with a DualShock. Triggers on a PS pad have never, ever felt right.

I hate the crash cam that kicks in before you actually crash
If you still have the option to turn the crash cam and takedown cam off, and I hope to Christ you do, I will be switching them off as soon as I get the game. Since one of the Burnouts, don't know which one, they have been utterly crap in my opinion. In Burnout Revenge you would do a takedown, and then crash yourself because the game had auto-piloted you straight into a truck. God that pissed me off.

Another thing noted, and this was one of the worst things about Revenge, you don't have to do a fucking thing to do a Takedown.

In B3, you actually had to plot your course and slam into the car to take it down, in Revenge, it was like the cars were made of helium. Same is true for this, I took down my friend whilst doing a donut/doughnut/whatever and he clipped me going extremely slowly.

Another thing noted, and this was one of the worst things about Revenge, you don't have to do a fucking thing to do a Takedown.

In B3, you actually had to plot your course and slam into the car to take it down, in Revenge, it was like the cars were made of helium. Same is true for this, I took down my friend whilst doing a donut/doughnut/whatever and he clipped me going extremely slowly.

i misunderstood this, so it IS easy to do takedowns in burnout paradise?

i misunderstood this, so it IS easy to do takedowns in burnout paradise?

Yes... sometimes...

Sometimes you can brush against the side of someone and suddenly TAKEDOWN flashes on the screen and you'll see they are still in one piece!

---

Other times you can hit someone at full boost in their rear end or you strike the front or rear bumper as they try to avoid you and nothing happens!

I've not tested it yet but i really do hope they sort out the take downs where you're up the arse of an AI car boosting while they are boosting (another problem) and suddenly they'll be taken out.

It happened all of the time during those takedown races especially on corners where you would end up boosting around the turn while scraping along side the outside edge.

And the other problem - AI that boost when you boost and seemingly have infinite boost. I couldn't give two shits about the reasons for allowing the AI to cheat - which will no doubt be that it makes the offline game fairer as the AI cant think outside the box like you etc...

Infinite boost and telepathic knowledge of when im boosting beats my ability to think 'oh... i could take that corner a bit earlier and save myself 0.6 of a second on my lap time!'

-

If they've sorted these annoyances out then i think the SP and MP (which ive enjoyed so far) will be enough to make me buy this

I don't think those things will be sorted; if they were going to be sorted then they would have been already, I think.

wow. hopefully the game isn't that horrible upon release!?
btw. i am trying to download this game on the psnetwork, but, every time i put my arrow above burnout to download, after pressing x, nothing happens? any ideas?
i am able to browse the internet just fine...
hmm...

Don't worry, for some reason, whilst playing online, I forget all the faults. The online trully is excellent, and with getting more boost I'm appreciating the sense of speed (I think I'm just used to Super class cars in B3). I hope the mountains have long curves though, because there isnt a single decent drifting place in the city.

Back
Top Bottom