Gran Turismo 5

Re: Gran Turismo 5 (PS3)

Nice images again, but are they really gonna have so many cars in a race? I thought 8 car races were confirmed? They have a 15 car race in one image.

new pict

3198.jpg

Offline too :roll:

Are you sure? The AI overhead will be considerably more for 20 AI cars than 20 on-line.

I've just watched the latest videos. It undoutedly looks sensational.

There's even a couple of shot from the cockpit view so it's starting to look promising that that's made it to the game.

There appear to be quite a lot of cars on track, presumably all AI controlled, so perhaps big fields off-line are to be a reality.

Can't tell too much about the AI behaviour or physics, so time will tell.

Starting to get a little bit excited about this one. It could be a defining game for the PS3.

Last edited:

Are you sure? The AI overhead will be considerably more for 20 AI cars than 20 on-line.

I've just watched the latest videos. It undoutedly looks sensational.

There's even a couple of shot from the cockpit view so it's starting to look promising that that's made it to the game.

There appear to be quite a lot of cars on track, presumably all AI controlled, so perhaps big fields off-line are to be a reality.

Can't tell too much about the AI behaviour or physics, so time will tell.

Starting to get a little bit excited about this one. It could be a defining game for the PS3.
Actually i can't confirm, but from the moment it's just prologue

Well to be fair they will all be on rails anyway so it shouldnt be too hard to do ;)

Video's look great though, shows up forza's graphics.

Now doesn't that look splendid? How can anyone prefer any view other than the cockpit view?

I like how they've included some of the side window - helps created the effect that you have more lateral vision.

I wonder if they'll go the whole hog and include adjustable cockpit views where you can modify the angles of vision, ala the better PC sims. OK, I'm asking too much now :).

Last edited:

Once again great eye candy from Polyphony Dig, I still think they could be leaving out the most important thing though... gameplay

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Online Details

Producer Kazunori Yamauchi talks about online features for the upcoming racer.
By Yoshi Sato, 07/25/2007

The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu magazine features an interview with Gran Turismo series producer Kazunori Yamauchi. Here he talks about some of the new features for the upcoming Gran Turismo 5 Prologue.

- PlayStation Home icon on the top menu screen: within the Home universe, there will be something like a "Gran Turismo World" galaxy. You can then enter the top menu of the game from Home, or vice-versa by selecting the respective icons.

- My Page: When the game starts, a My Page screen will also appear. In the final version, Yamauchi hopes to include a friends list as well. There will be several background images for the My Page screen such as Tokyo and other cities, but will also include sceneries of both outdoors and indoors. There is also a weather forecast displayed so that other players will know which geographic location you are in and how the weather is there.

- Chat features: Prologue will include 2 online modes, one which includes the chat features and the other which excludes this feature.

- Number of cars and course selection: about 40 cars and 4 courses with 8 different layouts. There will also be new courses which was briefly shown in the E3 trailer.

- Prologue will not have cars and course downloadables.

- Prologue falls somewhere in between the GT and Arcade mode. Players can earn reward money from each race and purchase new cars. There will be normal cars and tuned cars, but players cannot tune their own cars in this version. The save data from Prologue (such as money earned and cars purchased) can be carried over to Gran Turismo 5.

- 16 cars during races for offline mode. This may drop to 12 cars in online mode.

- Game control features "Normal Mode" based on simulation engine and "Professional Mode" based on actual car behavior and physics.

- Yamauchi hopes to include B-spec mode but it is still not decided at this point.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is scheduled for an October release in Japan.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161484

The good news continues to come :).

Confirmed 16 cars off-line is a major plus for the series, something that has previously been a serious flaw. That, along with the inclusion of cockpit view, and my wish list is starting to fill up. I can even live without car damage, if it's not in the game.

Provided the physics and AI aren't a disaster, I can't see me not buying this now. I'm hopeful for the physics. It's a long time since I played a GT game so don't know how it compares to some of the recent, superb PC sims, but I have a feeling it will turn out to have one the best physics models seen in a console game.

The car models are second to none, truly awesome. They seem to have a real depth to them which makes them look incredibly real. Shame about the jaggies in the car viewing/showroom screens. The internal view is on par with PGR3 as far as I can see.

The problem with such amazing car models is that it shows how dated the environments look, they are just not organic enough and stand out like a sore thumb.

Incredible, simply amazing. Especially the moving grass.

But if it really does take them six months to model one car (which they said in that interview the other month), then honestly, I'd rather have less-detailed models and more cars/tracks.

Will next-gen and next-next-gen keep going until it takes so long to make one car that each game will only ship with two or three to choose from? There has to be a limit.

Last edited:

I wonder what the Forza n PGR devs are thinking when they see these shots.

I dunno, but the rain on PGR is pretty impressive. I doubt Gran Turismo will have that.

The Forza Dev's are probably thinking "Lets set a couple of years aside and focus on presentation this time around" As they have got the physics and damage to a tee. If this game continues to show promise, has decent driving model and physics then I may well be tempted seeing as I am a bit of a graphics whore :)

This place is just too irresistable and I miss you guys :)plus im a changed man, no more Anti PS3 posts and ill try not to post the same stuff time and time again.

I dunno, but the rain on PGR is pretty impressive. I doubt Gran Turismo will have that.

I like the sound of car versus motorbike in the new PGR, it has to be balanced though.

tobi, thats my biggest fear of the car vs bike feature. Power to weight ratio is a big thing. But myself and LemonJelly had this discussion before and im sure they will find a suitable way of balancing this out.

It will be balanced, no doubt. Forza are the only people that are in direct competition with GT, PGR is a totally different beast and apart from having cars, it caters for a different audience (gameplay wise).

Do you think its more accesible and more of an arcade and Kudos Style game LJ? I think it is.

PGR is arcade game without a doubt and for that reason I would say it was more accessible and appealing to the masses.

I have to say I love PGR and have done since PGR2. Anyway back on GT's topic It would be nice to have more car customisation options similar to Forza.

Back
Top Bottom