Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (360/PS3/PC)

Re: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Thread (360/PS3/PC)

Jb's gonna get banned again
At least this time it's for a day, and it's for something I've actually done. :D

Saying that though, as Flawless has just said, I've not been banned yet. Frightened to touch CoD4 now just in-case, which is a bastard because the game is so good!!

i have just thought of something and if it happens it will be the funniest thing ever

what if.......they ban you the day the Fifa demo is released?

now that would be priceless

I don't know what would happen, in-fact I don't want to think about it. It would probably involve publicly humiliating myself in some way.

dont worry you can come on here and listen to our storys of how it plays :)

Why you LITTLE!!

sin_wrath.png

Got my token and name in the pot. Like Coopz, I just need to sort out a Gold account now.

I don't know what would happen, in-fact I don't want to think about it. It would probably involve publicly humiliating myself in some way.

If that happens you should come here to Singapore with your hard drive and I'll download the demo for you onto your hardrive, how's that? ;)

Apart from the travel costs that would be superb. ;) Still, the FIFA 08 demo release date has been announced as 13th September, so any ban should have happened and expired by then, hopefully.

Well if you're ever in Singapore you have a guide waiting for you, I can show you the horrible red light district of Geylang (sadly the first hotel we stayed at for 10 days was located there, I believe my wife quickly learned the Chinese words for "are you a prostitute" as she walked back from work every day!)

On a better note I can show you all the best places to buy cheap electronics and such, today I bought 100 Imation DVDs for $48, which is about £16, the other week I bought 3 cordless optical mice for £4 each :)

In CoD4 you rank up, when you get e.g. "Sergeant" it doesn't just say Sergeant, it says the rank number in brackets (e.g. Sergeant [11] or whatever). In the beta, you could only rank up to 11 - after that, you just stopped collecting points. Now you can rank up to 16, which means it lasts a bit longer.

Are you coming to bed or what?

It would have been far easier to ask me then.

Haha, this is lookign great, as good as Battlefield 2 etc?

Is there offline multiplayer, co-op and are guests allowed online?

Also whats so good about 60fps, whats the difference between 30fps, I should really know this seeing as I play games and I see it so often, I just never took it in, ive probably seen it alot and complained aswell haha :D Thought I would imrpove me knowledge.

To answer your CoD4 question from another thread:

You missus plays Battlefield 2?

I loved that game was truly amazing! Online was like a dream, nothing better than being behind in pts, scavenging up a last minute tactic, you decide to take the role of an attacking leader, and decide you want a small group of men to aid your attack, you send the rest to flank to one command flag, and your team of 3 go to one far away, the defence is weak as they are aiding the one beeing attacked by the flank, so you kill the rest take over the command flag and on your way back to victory! Was amazing... dunno why i got rid of it, thats what we need on the XBOX360 and PS3, is CoD4 gonna be similar then?
Well I couldn't get into BF2 like her, she is mental on it. Practically the only game she plays, and she plays it like I play Football Manager (i.e. every night, until either she falls asleep or she's thrown off the computer). But when I was playing the CoD4 beta, once she saw it, that was it, she took over and I couldn't play it until she'd buggered off out. She's not a big console fan either, so it shows how good it is.

Like I say, I couldn't get into BF2, but I instantly fell in love with CoD4. It's frantic, it's exciting, the effects (ground rumbling every time a fighter jet goes over) are brilliant, and it seems a lot fairer (in BF2 I could shoot someone ten times and then I die in one shot, and trying to shoot someone in the relative-distance was a nightmare for me, so much so that I gave up with the game in a matter of months ... but in this it seems fairer and, in a realistic way, easier - one or two shots in the right place and you're down).

The perks make me laugh my head off as well, in a good way - the wall-piercing bullets and the "last stand" (where you can sit up and shoot for a while while you're lying on the floor dying) are great, just to name a few.

Some things you may not like (and I certainly didn't like the sound of), such as, when you get three kills in a row you're granted a UAV scan for you and your team, when you get seven kills in a row you can call in an air-strike, etc... But honestly, it's so much fun, you wouldn't believe. I thought I'd be sitting there like, "oh God, that's so stupid and unrealistic", but if anything it heightens the drama because you've done something, you've got an achievement for your team, MWAHAHA, you've got an edge on the opponent now. It's really great, IMHO.

Is there offline multiplayer, co-op and are guests allowed online?
I can't answer those because you're severely restricted in the beta - you can only level-up so far, and you can't use vehicles etc... So you can't play offline or play with guests online either. Previous CoD games on 360 haven't had offline multiplayer as far as I know (at least, not co-op, I know that for sure), don't know about guests online either but I'm sure that will be in the retail version. The other stuff, I wouldn't imagine so unfortunately (and I love completing games in co-op as well).

Also whats so good about 60fps, whats the difference between 30fps, I should really know this seeing as I play games and I see it so often, I just never took it in, ive probably seen it alot and complained aswell haha :D Thought I would imrpove me knowledge.
Well, it's a long-running debate. The eye can only see upto 24fps, which is the speed that movies run at, but the more frames per second there are, the "smoother" it looks (and "feels", to the brain, apparently). Basically, 60fps is pretty great (even if it isn't strictly neccessary), and the more games that have similar frame rates, the better.

For more information (and it's a good quick and easy read actually), click HERE. The second page covers computer games, but don't skip to it, read the bit on movies first. ;)

Last edited:

Thats what I was thinking, but didnt know about the eye can only see upto 30fps, though heard something similar.

Why not just make games like 40 or 50, why, and wouldnt it just be worth 30fps cause if thats all the eye can see upto no point going over, or are there frequent drops in the games?

I think there was offline in COD3 and COD2 but only deathmatch and stuff with 4 players, couldnt go online, I hope you can have 4 and go online with your mates and co-op, co-op with four players that would be amazing, or maybe have bots in multiplayer like GRAW does.

Ill be getting that :D Again question between PS3 and 360 :(

Regarding the FPS again, I've just done a swift edit and included a link that might explain things a bit better. Do read the movie bit first though without skipping to the games page! Enhance your knowledge. :p

Last edited:

So 60fps is better as its smoother than 30fps but 72fps is perfect and what we should be aiming for so its more like reality :D

But all in all I guess it doesnt matter, how come they dont make any games at 72fps is it because they cant keep it constant or not the technology to do so?

Last edited:

I think there are some unaccuracies in this article, specially when talking about motion blur. Motion blur is not a filter added by our brain. At all. It's simply the phenomenon of the retina explained at the beggining of the article (that doctor light example). The fact that the eye is not able to perceive reality frame by frame but in a sort of frame blending solution.

The part about motion blur programming is not quite right. You can have motion blur simply as a post-processing effect, so the computer renders one frame and adds motion blur into the rendering process, so the objects in the 3d space are exactly at a point. It's quite easy to do, Colin McRase Dirt is doing it, for example, or Crysis, and looks great.

Finally, when it talks about video signal and talks about 30 fps, it's unaccurate. First, only NTSC system works ABOUT 30 fps (29'97 fps exactly, and to explain why would take a little time), PAL system works at 25 fps. And why do they tell NTSC is 60hz and PAL 50 Hz (and that's why PES has a 60 Hz option at the beggining). Mainly because video signal works with 2 fields, A and B. Divide a full frame image in even and uneven horizontal lines. Field A is even lines and field B is uneven lines. Well, in a second, 50 hz refresh rate means 25 pairs of fields. In video signal, the fields are interleaved, so you see "Frame 1" Field 1 mixed with Frame 1 Field 2, but then the Frame 1 Field 2 will interlace with Frame 2 Field 1. That's why if you freeze a video signal recorded in analog device, a frame is the mix of 2 different images (2 fields that represent different moments of reality) with lines interleaved. That's the typical "interlaced" effect.

Now, you could say NTSC is better because there are more frames per second. But that was at a cost, definition. NTSC has less vertical lines of definition, that's why it achieved more FPS than PAL. Whic is the best approach? I myself prefer PAL 25 fps at 50 HZ (so 50 interleaved fields per second).

Plus, another effect not covered by the article is the bluring effect done by old monitors. As the old CRT televisions had no pixels, but groups of color-points (the famous RGB dots) you always saw the image a bit blurry. That's why playing a console game in an old CRT made the game have "native antialiasing" and the same game ported to PC looked shitty because the lack of that anitaliasing (old PC CRT monitors used a quite different technology than TV CRTs).

Well, I don't know if I explained it too quickly, but my english is really really limited in this areas. Video quality, and means of recording reality and retransmitting it are really a complex world.

For games, the best would be playing more than 30 fps at more than 72 hz with realtime post-processing motion blur applied to every frame. Why don't they do it? They can. You make a game consisting of a white cube in a black room and you could easily achieve this. Put 1 million polygons dancing in a lake with reflections and refractions, sunlight and realtime shadows, particle effects and you won't do it. So, at the end, going for a smooth game is a really difficult high walk on a rope balancing quantity of elements and quality of them. And even if you programmed it really well, performance would still depend on a million things that are client based, that means, your computer (hardware plus software), so, in conclusion:

It's a so freaking difficult world and people working in great engines would be curing cancer if they had put all they efforts to the good cause.

Cheers.

You've played the beta already Jack?

Yeah, the US version has been available to people who use a workaround for a while now (although it's now been stopped by MS).

So this should be generally really realistic two good body shots your down and any type of headshot your dead?

If that happens you should come here to Singapore with your hard drive and I'll download the demo for you onto your hardrive, how's that? ;)

not sure if that works you know. I was looking after my friends house and while there I took my HD. Downloaded stranglehold and some other demo's. once i got back to my house and tried to play them they would not work on my 360.

So this should be generally really realistic two good body shots your down and any type of headshot your dead?
Basically. ;) I've seen people die with two good body shots, and some take (at a maximum) five or six because they weren't hitting vital parts. Certainly less shots than in BF2, anyway. As for headshots, yeah, one headshot and you're dead. Kapow, I've got to play it again now when I'm supposed to be working, thanks :mryellow:

I was looking after my friends house and while there I took my HD. Downloaded stranglehold and some other demo's. once i got back to my house and tried to play them they would not work on my 360.
A list of content is console-locked, I believe demos are one of them...? This is why I worry about the people waiting to get an option file for PES2008. If the developer chooses to lock it then there's nothing you can do (and we all know what Konami are like).

Last edited:

In Call of Duty 3 you could have 4 players online from 1 live account

Back
Top Bottom