Microsoft Xbox 360

Re: XBOX 360 - Official Pictures

ReActor said:
I actually like the current Controller S for the XBox so if the 360 version is identical then I will be happy. I don't give a flying feck about beatem-up's so it's no loss to me. The analog triggers on the xbox controller are perfect for driving games and shooters (imo) so I'm happy.

I'm more excited about the 360 than the PS3 at the moment.

Thats becuse you have not seen or heard anything about the PS3!

D-Pad is CRAP!

I hope they don't use the same style of pad cos it is absolute bollocks for playing pro evo. And your right dead man the d-pad is wank.

It sucks!
And the pad is ridicolous...is the S pad in white colour LOL

I hate most pads except the SNES pad and the Playstation pad.
Its cuz that all the others favour a certain type of game. The N64 and XBox pads favour FPS games which you can easily tell by the triggers.
The Gamecube pad is only good for platform and RPGs cuz it has this BIG button thats used for selecting menus or jumping in a platformer.
The Megadrive pad was for beat em ups cuz it had 6 face buttons and made it hard to press several buttons at the same time (which you usually dont have to in a beat em up).
The SNES and Playstation pads had a lot of buttons which were evenly spread out and easy to reach which means that EVERY game feels right with the pad. Has anyone EVER whilst playing on a PS2 thought "I wish I was able to use a <insert console> pad for this game"? The answer is no.

XBox was made for games like Halo so I expected the pad to look the way it does.

RuneEdge said:
Has anyone EVER whilst playing on a PS2 thought "I wish I was able to use a <insert console> pad for this game"? The answer is no.

I have, when playing racing games like Colin McRae Rally it feels much better using trigger buttons for braking and accelerating than the face buttons on the PS2 pad.

I wouldnt worry about the pad that much, you get used to playing PES with the XB pad.

I wouldnt worry about the pad that much, you get used to playing PES with the XB pad.[/QUOTE]

You will now as the black n white buttons are on top of the pad!

Holio said:
I have, when playing racing games like Colin McRae Rally it feels much better using trigger buttons for braking and accelerating than the face buttons on the PS2 pad.

I wouldnt worry about the pad that much, you get used to playing PES with the XB pad.
Then why dont you try L2 and R2 instead of triggers? They work as normal shoulder buttons AND triggers. Which is why those buttons are bigger than L1 and R1.

Anyway, I dont really get excited about a console until I know there are some good games coming out on it. Are there any good games planned for this?

L2 and R2 are not analog triggers like on the xbox controller. There is no where near the same level of control.

PGR3 WILL be a launch title and it will rock, I have no doubt whatsoever where that is concerned, there is talk of HALO 2.5, improved visuals etc but it will be conpatibile with Halo2 players on Live with the old XB. After that expect the usual EA Sports offering. Watch the MTV programme this Friday at 8pm GMT about the XB360 unveiling party. No doubt there should be a few titles on show then, otherwise just log on the web for E3 stuff.

ReActor said:
L2 and R2 are not analog triggers like on the xbox controller. There is no where near the same level of control.
Thats true but its a close alternative. Games always use L2 and R2 as the shoot buttons in FPSs on PS2.
My point is that the PS2 pad is good for all games where as the XBox pads are only good for certain games.

RuneEdge said:
Thats true but its a close alternative. Games always use L2 and R2 as the shoot buttons in FPSs on PS2.
My point is that the PS2 pad is good for all games where as the XBox pads are only good for certain games.

Disagree with you there pal. The analogue sticks on the PS2 pad are awful, too big, flat and clumsy. You can never get a proper grip having to re-set your thumbs every 30 seconds. The Xbox sticks have much nicer feedback and the fact they are more elevated and have a proper indent/groove in them means your thumb rarely becomes unstuck.

The build quality of Xbox pads is vastly superior to the PS2. ALL of mine have broken L1/L2/R1/R2 buttons. By contrast I still have the old skool, massive Xbox original pads, which are hideous but designed very well for playing.

You have a fair point. I have something rattling in mines cuz something broke inside.
But I'd still prefer a PS2 pad over anything when I play games like PES, Tekken, MGS, THUG2, etc.
I cant imagine having to use another pad for those games.

2 types of Xbox Live:
Xbox Live Silver (no subscription required)
Xbox Live Gold (subscription benefits)

Features for Gold service
* Also for Silver
# Also for Offline

- Seamless transition to Xbox Live account from Xbox to Xbox 360
- Access to MMOs (additional fees may apply) *
- Free Xbox Live weekends *
- Multiplayer online gameplay
- Motto for gamer profile * #
- Personalized look for Xbox System Guide * #
- Offline achievments * #
- Online achievements *
- Access to other players’ Gamer cards via Live *
- Cumulative gamer score * #
- Location/language profile * #
- Reputation *
- Enahnced matchmaking using above
- Skill level matchmaking
- Gameplay style profile (casual, competitive, etc.)
- Recent players list *
- Free and premium download game content *
- Free and premium downloadable movies, music, tv *
- Downloadable demos/trailers *
- Microtransactions *
- Custom playlist in every game * #
- Play music from portable devices * #
- View images from digital camera * #
- Strem media from Windows XP * #
- Interactive screen savers * #
- Track info for CDs * #
- Communication with voice, video or text *

360 HW:
1. Support for DVD-video, DVD-Rom, DVD-R/RW, CD-DA, CD-Rom, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 cd, JPEG photo CD
2. All games supported at 16:9, 720p and 1080i, anti-aliasing
3. Customizable face plates to change appearance
4. 3 USB 2.0 ports
5. Support for 4 wireless controllers
6. Detachable 20GB drive
7. Wi-Fi ready

Custom IBM PowerPC-based CPU
- 3 symmetrical cores at 3.2 GHz each
- 2 hardware threads per core
- 1 VMX-128 vector unit per core
- 1 MB L2 cache

CPU Game Math Performance
- 9 billion dots per second

Custom ATI Graphics Processor
- 500 MNz
- 10 MB embedded DRAM
- 48-way parallel floating-point shader pipelines
- unified shader architecture

Memory
-512 MB GDDR3 RAM
- 700 MNz DDR

Memory Bandwidth
- 22.4 GB/s memory interface bus bandwidth
- 256 GB/s memory bandwidth to EDRAM
- 21.6 GB/s frontside bus

Audio
- Mulitchannel surround sond output
- Supports 48khz 16-bit audio
- 320 independent decompression channels
- 32 bit processing
- 256+ audio channels

Got it from endgadget and torrentspy, apparently its been leeked and every game site has that info.

Milanista said:
Got it from endgadget and torrentspy, apparently its been leeked and every game site has that info.

Weird, as I had a look on Engadget.com straight after you posted and didn't see anything there ... anyway no worries Mate ;-)

Thanks Again.

Interesting stuff. I like the sound of Wifi ready. I can remove all me sodding Cat5 then!
Just think the Ps3 is supposedly more powerful than the 360, thats gona be even more interesting!
(I just read the Ps3 is still on for Blu-ray/hd-dvd)

I just watched the next gen mov of that Dark sectors. Looks like their using most of the extra power for special effects like lighting and smoke/steam. The only thing that struck me as kind of cool was when the bloke had his neck broken, his eyes went up into his head.
Just think of PES5... they could animate the dopeyness of Rooney + C Ronaldo, the popping veins in SAFs head, maybe animate Alan Smiths mouth and be able to see him F ing and blinding every 5 seconds! :)

Last edited:

Apparently there was an XBox 360 Ad aired `accidentally` in the States over the weekend revealing that it will be released in November

Milanista said:
2 types of Xbox Live:
Xbox Live Silver (no subscription required)
Xbox Live Gold (subscription benefits)

Features for Gold service
* Also for Silver
# Also for Offline

- Seamless transition to Xbox Live account from Xbox to Xbox 360
- Access to MMOs (additional fees may apply) *
- Free Xbox Live weekends *
- Multiplayer online gameplay
- Motto for gamer profile * #
- Personalized look for Xbox System Guide * #
- Offline achievments * #
- Online achievements *
- Access to other players’ Gamer cards via Live *
- Cumulative gamer score * #
- Location/language profile * #
- Reputation *
- Enahnced matchmaking using above
- Skill level matchmaking
- Gameplay style profile (casual, competitive, etc.)
- Recent players list *
- Free and premium download game content *
- Free and premium downloadable movies, music, tv *
- Downloadable demos/trailers *
- Microtransactions *
- Custom playlist in every game * #
- Play music from portable devices * #
- View images from digital camera * #
- Strem media from Windows XP * #
- Interactive screen savers * #
- Track info for CDs * #
- Communication with voice, video or text *

360 HW:
1. Support for DVD-video, DVD-Rom, DVD-R/RW, CD-DA, CD-Rom, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 cd, JPEG photo CD
2. All games supported at 16:9, 720p and 1080i, anti-aliasing
3. Customizable face plates to change appearance
4. 3 USB 2.0 ports
5. Support for 4 wireless controllers
6. Detachable 20GB drive
7. Wi-Fi ready

Custom IBM PowerPC-based CPU
- 3 symmetrical cores at 3.2 GHz each
- 2 hardware threads per core
- 1 VMX-128 vector unit per core
- 1 MB L2 cache

CPU Game Math Performance
- 9 billion dots per second

Custom ATI Graphics Processor
- 500 MNz
- 10 MB embedded DRAM
- 48-way parallel floating-point shader pipelines
- unified shader architecture

Memory
-512 MB GDDR3 RAM
- 700 MNz DDR

Memory Bandwidth
- 22.4 GB/s memory interface bus bandwidth
- 256 GB/s memory bandwidth to EDRAM
- 21.6 GB/s frontside bus

Audio
- Mulitchannel surround sond output
- Supports 48khz 16-bit audio
- 320 independent decompression channels
- 32 bit processing
- 256+ audio channels

The console specifications above, which were posted to the Internet this week, are largely consistent with previous leaks about the Xbox 360 hardware - but a number of unusual flaws in the document, pointed out by development sources, suggest that this is not an official Microsoft document.

"It's most probably a list made by someone who knows more about the official spec than the average hack, but I doubt it's an official Microsoft spec sheet," we were told by one developer who has experience of the new format.

"It's probably broadly in line with the spec that will be announced, but may be off on some of the finer details," he added.

the pad looks like the dreamcast pad, only with a added analoge stick

Has there been any mention of backwards compatability? I presume as you can play against Xbox Live players as well as 360 players that it must be.

I read that if you get it with the hard drive then its backwards compatible
not sure if thats true or not.
Sounds it could be right though as xbox games at the moment make use of a hard drive.

It hardly looks like a PC. Its only 2 cd drives tall, curves in the middle, and is about half the thickness

Who really cares what it looks like anyway, everyone accepted the Xbox, which didnt look that nice and was too big, as long as it fits under the TV...... ;)

Re: XBox 360 - Official Thread

So did any of our American members watch the xbox 360 launch program on MTV?? Was it any good?

Back
Top Bottom