FIFA 12 Discussion Thread

Also in Fifa management mode the tranfers of other teams are totally unrealistic.

Man City sold Silva to Arsenal and Arsenal then sold nearly all their first team. Utd sold Nani and Vidic.

Just wouldnt happen

The transfers are silly but other than that it's brilliant, pisses on ML from a great height, to call it "absolutely rubbish" is ludicrous. It doesn't lack the champions league, it lacks the license, can't say I miss it, it's just a logo.

I also got bored of Fifa for weeks ago as i expected. I miss the unpredictability and variety of football on it. There are people out there who say that Fifa has no soul,and you know what, i think they are right. I don't want to sound like a troll, but that's my feeling with the game.

Its better against humans, more variabilty somewhat.

I had a dream last night I was playing pes3 with loadsa mates. Was a cool dream but weird, really vivid.

Fake leagues and names can be fixed. Ridiculous transfers can't. It's a shame such a well lauded improvement to career mode still has this problem. No point having authentic this and that in FIFA if you lose all sense of immersion because the very first game you play is against a team with half of the real players missing (I mean current starting 11 players).

Fake leagues and names can be fixed.

But they can't though can they, in PES you cannot create a 4 tier English league with promotion, relegation, playoffs, multiple cups etc etc etc, sure that stuff isn't of much interest to "international" football fans but the grass roots UK football fans (ie supporters of shit teams like me) want that stuff.

Ever since the update for the Euro stuff, my FIFA is freezing when I start it up.

It connects me to the EA servers then as Wayne boots the ball away my xbox freezes with the one connection circle left.

My only workaround is to boot up FIFA without signing into xbox live, then having to sign in once I am in the arena.

Very annoying, anyone experienced this and know if I can fix it?

Cheers
Shooto

I had this happen a lot in the past, what I had to do was as soon as you press start after choosing your language, press the Xbox button, go to games/achievements pick a game, pick an achievement and view the achievement, I know that sounds weird but it's the only way I could stop my 360 constant locking up, avoided it every time like that, so basically press start then immediately go view your latest achievement.

Hope that makes sense?

I did the same, worked the first time then went back to locking up. Ironically the last title update (the one that broke the form visual in CM) resolved the lock up problem and I didn't have them anymore.

I just dunno about FIFA12. I enjoy it sometimes but then so often it feels like i am playing the same thing over and over again...Now you could say all video games are like this but when I used to play PES every match and every goal felt unique. I just am not getting that same feeling on fifa.

I know you can and do score various types of goals. But I also know and score similar goals all the time as I know these moves work or just happen often.

As for the overall gameplay its just like trying to break down the defense etc...I dont know how to explain its missing a nice flow to it. Its kinda rigid or something.

You never just get that feel like weird breaks etc..''oh hes away what a chance!!!'' etc...Everything seems constructed thoughtfully.

I dunno? I say that then I play it and love it and think I talk crap but then other times I feel like that again. weird.

But they can't though can they, in PES you cannot create a 4 tier English league with promotion, relegation, playoffs, multiple cups etc etc etc, sure that stuff isn't of much interest to "international" football fans but the grass roots UK football fans (ie supporters of shit teams like me) want that stuff.

Sorry but that's not what I said. I meant fixing the names of leagues and players, not adding to the structure. To be honest, it would be nice to have infite number of grassroot teams but where does it stop. Why is the UK more important than say the Australian league? I'm sure you can say there's a lot more people from the UK who play the game, but outside of the Premiership and possibly Championship, there wouldn't be many people outside of the UK with any affinity or possibly even knowledge of teams in the lower divisions.

I tried starting a CM with a div 4 English team and getting myself promoted to the EPL but after a season I got bored. I think it's easier to do on a Football manager type game. But if I have to play every single game, 120 odd games just to get to some opposition I know isn't going to entice me.

If anything, PES should try and at least get a fake division 2 for each league so that if they can't get licenses, we can create an option file with promotion and relegation for every league.

I tried starting a CM with a div 4 English team and getting myself promoted to the EPL but after a season I got bored. I think it's easier to do on a Football manager type game. But if I have to play every single game, 120 odd games just to get to some opposition I know isn't going to entice me.

If you don't support a lower league English team I can understand why it doesn't interest you, personally I gladly play every single match including friendlies because I'm playing with the team I support, my team, all this talk about Fifa doesn't have soul blah blah, trying to play with any team other than who I support, that to me is soulless, playing as Sheffield Wednesday, with the name of the manager in the CM screens, that's all the soul in the world for me, all the enjoyment in the world and all I need from a football game :)

I understand where you're coming from but let's not forget the creation centre is there and if someone's favourite team/league is not in the game, it could be created and imported.

There's people here in Australia who don't follow any of the A-League clubs and only follow their own grassroots club. They'd have to take the creation centre approach as EA have understandably not created the lower Australian leagues.

If you don't support a lower league English team I can understand why it doesn't interest you, personally I gladly play every single match including friendlies because I'm playing with the team I support, my team, all this talk about Fifa doesn't have soul blah blah, trying to play with any team other than who I support, that to me is soulless, playing as Sheffield Wednesday, with the name of the manager in the CM screens, that's all the soul in the world for me, all the enjoyment in the world and all I need from a football game :)

Perhaps that's why you're not qualified to talk about soul in a football game :)

J/k. But seriously, all it'd take is for PES to introduce a four tier league system and that 'soul' (which isn't soul) is equalled.

Football is about emotions, fight and randomness as well as tactics, technique and thinking. For a football-game to capture the essence of football all these things need to be represented in the game.

Touché ;)

But in all seriousness, until you or anyone else can specify what "soul" is in a football game I stand by my statement, for me soul is a nonsensical and rediculous comment to use for or against any football game. Playing as my team in career mode in Fifa engages me as a football fan and as a gamer far more than PES ever has on any system, that's what matters.

To me "soul" is unpredictability. The "scripted" feeling is the opposite and to me personally that is what I feel way too much of in FIFA. Keepers in FIFA feels really scripted because "anything" can't happen. PES horrible keepers actually adds to the "soul" in a way because you have no idea where the ball will end up.

PES imho is better in this regard, but far from perfect.

Touché ;)

But in all seriousness, until you or anyone else can specify what "soul" is in a football game I stand by my statement, for me soul is a nonsensical and rediculous comment to use for or against any football game. Playing as my team in career mode in Fifa engages me as a football fan and as a gamer far more than PES ever has on any system, that's what matters.

Well to me it's a mix of the following:

- Unpredictability
- Stat based gameplay
- Inertia, momentum, first touch

All of these create an immersive experience for me.

To me "soul" is unpredictability. The "scripted" feeling is the opposite and to me personally that is what I feel way too much of in FIFA. Keepers in FIFA feels really scripted because "anything" can't happen. PES horrible keepers actually adds to the "soul" in a way because you have no idea where the ball will end up.

Increased shot power slider and adjusted keeper slider makes goalkeepers very unpredictable in Fifa.

So immersion = soul for you? See Fifa completely immerses me in CM with Wednesday as I said above, but apparently that's not soul...

Well to me it's a mix of the following:

- Unpredictability
- Stat based gameplay
- Inertia, momentum, first touch

This, in a nutshell. It's increasingly more difficult to quantify why I don't like FIFA, as technically I have to concede it's a really good game. But it's the lacking in these aspects that just kill it for me.

I enjoyed FIFA for a short stint but it never really captured the nuance of football. After a couple of months of playing, the inputs required become mechanical. You know when which player will win a header before its happened, you recognise patterns of play and automatically register how to react. The whole game feels like a series of individual procedures, and just lacks that organic uncertainty that puts you on the edge of your seat.

It's like when you drive the same route to work everyday. After a number of years you realise you do certain journeys on auto-pilot, unconsciously performing every turn and maneuver on instinct (quite scary when you think. :CONFUSE:). This is how I feel once I become accustomed to FIFA.

This idea that a football game has "soul" is nothing short of laughable.

It's a lazy way of saying you like or prefer one game without intelligent analysis.

One person could say unpredictability is soul, another could say realistic league structures. One could say stat based gameplay is soul, another could say realistic ball physics. One could say it's inertia, another could say it's animations. One could say it's the game that better captures nuance, another could say it's the game that doesn't feel outdated and broken. Blah blah blah.

Haha is he the guy who made the funny Heskey video's? That was comic genius lol.

There's a lot to like about the way FIFA looks and sometimes the way it plays. I think the soul comments with PES come down to (in my opinion and some friend's opinions anyway) the things you see happening require you to think like a footballer who's "playing" the game rather than just watching a game. It might sound like hogwash but when I play PES I need to be tuned in as if I had the boots on and was out there. It's the subtle things. If PES looked as good as FIFA animations and graphics wise, and shooting mechanics wise, you could see straight away which game represented playing football better.

This idea that a football game has "soul" is nothing short of laughable.

It's a lazy way of saying you like or prefer one game without intelligent analysis.

One person could say unpredictability is soul, another could say realistic league structures. One could say stat based gameplay is soul, another could say realistic ball physics. One could say it's inertia, another could say it's animations. One could say it's the game that better captures nuance, another could say it's the game that doesn't feel outdated and broken. Blah blah blah.

The idea that a football game does or doesn't have soul is by absolutely no means bullshit. Just because people don't know exactly how to articulate its presence doesn't mean it isn't there for these people.

Quantifying what 'soul' is does require a hell of a lot more than just listing a few bullet points. It's facile to just say soul = momentum or aesthetics or whatever. It'd take several pages to fully list what gives a football game soul, and tying it to specifics would only be one page - the rest would have to explain the knock-on effects of these specifics to gameplay and player mentality etc.

I can appreciate people using the term as a crutch simply because it's one word compared to thousands.

Back
Top Bottom