FIFA 12 Discussion Thread

so what is the effect of pushing up or pushing down on the left stick?

Basically think of the left stick as where your foot is going to connect with the ball, relative to the centre. But half-pressing the stick in a direction doesn't work - so it's not quite as precise as the old FIFA free kick system.

What I don't like about it is that if you do press any direction below 3 or 9 o'clock, the ball balloons away. FIFA doesn't really 'get' backspin, whether for free kicks or for lobs.

I think FIFA's free kicks don't have enough variety. On PES you can hit them hard, normal pace, slow pace etc etc. FIFA's normal free kicks (without trying to hit a driven shot I mean) all go like rockets lol

what about swerve, especially on crosses its been reduced in fifa12?

I don't see that, I scored a goal last night where the shot swerved one way then back the other before going in. Shame it was a consolation goal while I was already 4-0 down :((

Currently World Class but I know Placebo created the sliders using Legendaray, so maybe they're even better on that. It's way too difficult for me though.

Well it was more like I was playing on Pro without sliders using manual/semi controls, I created the sliders, suddenly I could play on World Class with all manual, bit more tweaking and suddenly I can play on Legendary with all manual and the AI plays a really great game where they actually seem human :)

I don't see that, I scored a goal last night where the shot swerved one way then back the other before going in. Shame it was a consolation goal while I was already 4-0 down :((

I mean crosses. I was playing fifa 11 last night and my crosses were swerving all over the place actually unrelaisticaly it was so OTT. But I managed to sweever a cross round like 3 defenders and drop it into my attacker.

On fifa 12 u cant swerve that much or at all on crosses. This was wild.

Would you guys say fifa 12 is now better than the PES games of the PS2 era?

Is it more fun? MOre enjoyable? A better game?

Or is it just the best game atm but not as good as PES was for its time?

Fifa12 pisses on peak PES from a great height for me. Easily the best football game in the 27 years I've been playing football games on console/computer.

FIFA is very shit.

Even with tweaked sliders, the game is just a bit stupid. It's all very stagnant, and I've worked out, even on Legendary, just how to get in positions to give myself the highest percentage chance of scoring/creating. In that respect, it's quite samey. And don't even get me started on the CPU boosts from nowhere, and the collision detection system works when it feel like leaving Jermaine Defoe or Frodo off Lord of the Rings knocking your muscular defender on his arse.

Animations, physics, superb. Gameplay and cheatability - shit!

No not for me PES on PS2/Xbox is still king, But i'l tell you what...Fifa since 09 feels like the true successor of PES while PES feel's like a shit football game from Codemasters.

Fifa12 with sliders and manual is the best game ever (atm)
PES PS2 was arcade , pickup and play just like fifa now (so no one can argue that it was simulation)

PES was good at its time but now fifa12 is good atm till we see another step up

I can call that fifa on PS3 is the successor of PES series on ps2

People have different opinion. For me FIFA gameplay is shit. Simple. Tech what they use is superb but pure gameplay is rubbish and borring. This game don't have soul in opinion. One again technollogy is great and innovated but only this, nothing more is special in this game. If Pes will have the same level of technollogy like in FIFA they will smash them in one second with deep pure gameplay. I have no doubt.

Last edited:
and anti-pes post ps2?

I wouldn't say anti, rather, disinterested.

People have different opinion. For me FIFA gameplay is shit. Simple. Tech what they use is superb but pure gameplay is rubbish and borring. This game don't have soul in opinion. One again technollogy is great and innovated but only this, nothing more is special in this game. If Pes will have the same level of technollogy like in FIFA they will smash them in one second with deep pure gameplay. I have no doubt.

Sweet, naive, innocent, staggeringly wrong in every point you tried to make, but bless...

You gotta love the loyalty to a dying game series. FIFA rules. Pro Evo just sucks. Is EA's game perfect? Hell no but 12 tweaked is the best offering on any system to date. Offline. Have no opinions on online lag or any of that kind of thing. Every time I think of PES I get the pic of seabass demonstrating playing defense. OMFG.:P

If anyone on Evo Web is involved with the EA game changers thingy then they should seriously look at Placebo's sliders and tell them to continue going in that direction. With those slider settings there is, IMO, more player individuality than in PES this year by far, in terms of player positioning, ball control and passing. I'm very excited already fro next gen FIFA to see how the new tech will allow EA to continue down this road. FIFA12 has made giant strides over the previous game.

Admittedly you have to alter the game sliders to show this, but that's why EA really need notifying that there is a more sim experience here with the right sliders and control set up. If this was more integrated into the game out of the box then maybe people wouldn't feel the need to endlessly bash the game as a shallow arcade experience. For example I fail to see the difference in how PES can be 'sim' like because of the R2 modifier button using a player's tecnique, or how body position is vital, when in FIFA12 body position plays a much more important aspect, and also uses the L1 & L2 modifiers to an equal degree as R2 does in PES. I just don't get it.

This is particularly noticeable in shooting. In PES2012 I scored some goals that were really odd, when running away from goal I could shoot at an angle impossible to wrap your foot around and it would fly into the net. In FIFA12, that can't happen. Body positioning and your stance relating to the ball is paramount to the strength and direction of the shot. Yet PES gets lauded as the more realistic. In PES, there are many occasions where body position is vital to the type of shot you hit, but on others, you can score by shooting almost behind you with the ball flying off the heel of your striker and with virtually no movement of the leg.

Last edited:

It's a big if as Konami dont seem to be putting any money back into the series...they are what EA used to be and that is very little effort = large profits.

Konami are putting very little effort in and those profits are dwindling rapidly. EA actually deserve their sales this year, they clearly worked hard on improving FIFA12 in almost every area and it shows.

Placebo sliders are brilliant, maybe the ball pings around a bit too quickly but great to see players miscontrol the ball so much :D

Yeah once or twice a match you see something a bit silly like a forward hammering it 80 yards backwards for a throw in, but the rest of the good stuff more than makes up for that IMO :)

Yeah once or twice a match you see something a bit silly like a forward hammering it 80 yards backwards for a throw in, but the rest of the good stuff more than makes up for that IMO :)

If I play normal speed would I set the pass speed lower or does game speed only take into account running speed not actual passing/ball speed?

You can't fall asleep using your sliders. That's a good thing. I hope EA just leave the game alone and add a few sliders next year maybe one for CPU fouling or something. I don't want them trying to do something and fouling the whole thing up.

people im really having trouble in making headers in crosses and execute ground crosses...
im playing on PC and using xbox controller...
i always press 3 times the cross but it seems that it´s impossible to make ground crosses...
CPU do this all the time...
it´s a bug, or everyone is making good crosses, headers and specially ground crosses in the game (especially PC version)...

but apart of that, what a great game...

people im really having trouble in making headers in crosses and execute ground crosses...
im playing on PC and using xbox controller...
i always press 3 times the cross but it seems that it´s impossible to make ground crosses...
CPU do this all the time...
it´s a bug, or everyone is making good crosses, headers and specially ground crosses in the game (especially PC version)...

but apart of that, what a great game...

hello mate, headers you need to use the jostle button to fight the defending player for the ball and/or move into space.

Ground crosses are a bit harder, but you have to just press it 3 times really fast and it works

Back
Top Bottom