Microsoft Windows 10

If I buy new PC

The interesting question is what constitutes a new PC these days? Obviously if you go and buy a new laptop or a new custom built (or off the shelf) PC then yes it's a "new PC", if I change my motherboard is it a new PC? Is RAM + GPU upgrades a new PC? See my point? ;)
That was 2 years ago ;) Been in Australia for a while now.

Aha, well I get points for my good memory if nothing else ;)

The interesting question is what constitutes a new PC these days? Obviously if you go and buy a new laptop or a new custom built (or off the shelf) PC then yes it's a "new PC", if I change my motherboard is it a new PC? Is RAM + GPU upgrades a new PC? See my point? ;)

I believe new PC these days is mostly equated with new motherboard, as it is at the core of every PC.

I specifically asked for new PC because I plan to buy everything except screen, mouse and keyboard.

I had windows 8.1 and did the upgrade via the creation tool.

Installed everything ok, but on the bottom left it says Activate Windows. When I go to settings to activate it comes up with the following error:
Error code: 0x8007007B
Error description: the filename, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Can't work out what to do next.

Installed everything ok, but on the bottom left it says Activate Windows. When I go to settings to activate it comes up with the following error:
Error description: the filename, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Did you type in a product key during installation?

Did you type in a product key during installation?

Windows 10 is the last OS yes, from now it is going to be released as a yearly increment like OSX.
Windows will now become 10.1, 10.2 and so on.

Yup I used the ones that Bebo posted:

That probably explains it then.. You have used a generic key posted online which Microsoft probably blocked the moment they appeared online for activation.

When upgrading your OS you should not be prompted for a serial key.

Just google the error code, there is a workaround on the Microsoft page.

Im hearing Win 10 is the last one.

Its because 10 will be the only one with just incremental upgrades without any more version numbers any-more. They aren't bothering with the old model of 2 yearly versions and the promotion that goes with it.

Effectively Windows 10 = "Windows" .. forever.

Not sure if im too happy with that if they drop a large update and there's hassle, always nice to revert back IE 8.1 or 7 if 10 was not so good etc.

Im going to keep my old dual boot rig with XP SP3/7 and then just have 10 for a new rig only.

I will wait for 3 months, they still not released the pre-activated version.
Today windows 10 have serious bugs.
Bow Down to the Virtual Box.

I will wait for 3 months, they still not released the pre-activated version.
Today windows 10 have serious bugs.
Bow Down to the Virtual Box.

Nice way to say you support developers and software companies..

"I am waiting for the pre-activated version"

I just got notification that my upgrade is ready. But since I use my PC a lot I will first wait until upgrade (which is now in process) is completed on my laptop so to see a bit how it all works out after upgrade. How my files are kept, how installed apps are working etc.

It has been a pleasant experience for me overall. Games even run better on my laptop, most notably FIFA 15. Everything just seems smoother than Windows 7.

The only problem I'm having is that my USB ports tend to shut down randomly, so my mouse and gamepad stop working... It gets fixed by entering Sleep mode and signing in again...

Does anyone have an idea? It's a bit annoying, especially when playing online - it happened to me during a Pro Clubs game and I had to disconnect.

performance boost should be more pronounced when upgrading from Windows 7 as there was big performance boost for me, both on my

Laptop: HP Compaq 6735s (I just later upgraded from standard 2GB RAM to 4GB RAM)

And PC:
- Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
- AMD Radeon HD5450
- 2GB DDR2 RAM

Because of that I don't expect huge performance improvements for myself compared to what I have on 8.1

No work.

Thanks for trying to help.

I'm honestly done with this.
From what i saw on your screenshots, you are using a Lenovo Notebook.
Seems like you are having the same trouble i got at home with installing Windows 8 at my wife's notebook a year ago :(
In the end one of a driver, update or something else caused the setup to fail.
So she had to stay at Windows 7.
I wonder if the Upgrade to Windows 10 will work on it.

On my desktop PC the Upgrade worked fine. For me Windows 8 was not good, but 10 is.
Like it so far :)

From what i saw on your screenshots, you are using a Lenovo Notebook.
Seems like you are having the same trouble i got at home with installing Windows 8 at my wife's notebook a year ago :(
In the end one of a driver, update or something else caused the setup to fail.
So she had to stay at Windows 7.
I wonder if the Upgrade to Windows 10 will work on it.

On my desktop PC the Upgrade worked fine. For me Windows 8 was not good, but 10 is.
Like it so far :)

Yep it's a Lenovo Z510 and it's a wonderful laptop, but it just won't update to W10.

I have a Lenovo too. I forced the W10 install last week and shouldn't have. I had all sorts of issues and had to revert back to Windows 8.1. Had to download about 500+ updates to get back to where I was before my hasty decision. Going to wait a couple of months until Microsoft and Lenovo have got their shit together.

I have a Lenovo too. I forced the W10 install last week and shouldn't have. I had all sorts of issues and had to revert back to Windows 8.1. Had to download about 500+ updates to get back to where I was before my hasty decision. Going to wait a couple of months until Microsoft and Lenovo have got their shit together.

What brand of laptop you have shouldn't make any difference unless you are running the really horrible image which comes with the laptop itself.
In that case maybe Lenovo machines do have a problem with Windows 10

just upgraded both my laptop (with media creation tool from Microsoft) and my PC (through Windows Update). Both upgrades wnt smoothly and work as expected

What brand of laptop you have shouldn't make any difference unless you are running the really horrible image which comes with the laptop itself.
In that case maybe Lenovo machines do have a problem with Windows 10

But don't all machines come pre-installed, if that's what you meant?

But don't all machines come pre-installed, if that's what you meant?

Yes all machines do come pre-installed with an image.

But whenever I have bought a new Laptop the first thing I do is format the thing, images provided by software companies are always just full of bloatware.

It has been a pleasant experience for me overall. Games even run better on my laptop, most notably FIFA 15. Everything just seems smoother than Windows 7.

The only problem I'm having is that my USB ports tend to shut down randomly, so my mouse and gamepad stop working... It gets fixed by entering Sleep mode and signing in again...

Does anyone have an idea? It's a bit annoying, especially when playing online - it happened to me during a Pro Clubs game and I had to disconnect.
Anybody? I would appreciate any kind of help and/or explanation! :PRAY:

I have had big issues with Lenovo with our work laptops. Not with windows 10 but as a company and quality of product.

Just my experience, not very helpful to you I know but I steer clear of them now

But whenever I have bought a new Laptop the first thing I do is format the thing, images provided by software companies are always just full of bloatware.
I second that (nevermind which is the manufacturer).

As a bonus (as I said earlier), also I had some trouble with bloatware in the past on Lenovo machines which, apart from the software mess they came preloaded with (Nalperion first, Superfish shortly following), were great.

I second that (nevermind which is the manufacturer).

As a bonus (as I said earlier), also I had some trouble with bloatware in the past on Lenovo machines which, apart from the software mess they came preloaded with (Nalperion first, Superfish shortly following), were great.

I personally have never seen a Lenovo machine so don't know how bad they are.

In my experience Sony Vaio's are by far the worse at installing crap onto a machine, but they are all pretty much as bad as each other, because companies like eBay, Amazon pay them to install shortcuts and mini apps onto the systems.

I have a Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 on Windows 8.1 and its brilliant.

After hearing what you lot have said im gonna wait a while before i upgrade.

I still haven't had a notification of its ready yet on this machine either.

I have a Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 on Windows 8.1 and its brilliant.

After hearing what you lot have said im gonna wait a while before i upgrade.

I still haven't had a notification of its ready yet on this machine either.

Yea I love my as well, but it seem like this bloatware is causing some trouble. I've researched online again and it seems some others do have the same issue I do, but they didn't mention what machine they on.

Back
Top Bottom