Microsoft Windows 10

bsmaff

International
11 August 2003
Hertfordshire
Exeter City
Windows 10 is now with us so I have now updated this front page to help people upgrade to the latest OS.

The best way to update to the new Windows OS is to either wait your turn and for Microsoft to tell you your update is ready or personally I recommend to update by using a USB.

To update via Windows Update you just have to wait your turn - this update method could take hours, days or you may even have to wait a week or two.

To update using USB download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Just run the application and select USB and the correct Language settings for your system from the various drop boxes.. This will be an automated process and will probably take around 30 minutes.

Guide to disable Privacy Concerns:
http://www.techrepublic.com/article...y-default-heres-how-you-can-protect-yourself/

WARNING:
Do not update using the so called guides telling you to delete files in the download folder and forcing the update this has caused several issues including on my own machine where it just fails.

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone has given the latest Insider preview a go but obviously Windows 10 is coming a few improvements to the OS..

But after testing on my laptop the past week and very recently my desktop, the FPS increase in games is a massive boost, I have not done any FPS comparisons as such.. But all games run significantly smoother on my laptop, I can't really notice that much on my desktop, but the laptop runs games at higher settings and much smoother.

If anyone else is trying Windows 10 are you noticing any improvements in performance? I am using Build 10074..

I've been running the Windows 10 preview for a couple of weeks now and I'm very happy with it. It's basically Windows 8 without the garbage home screen. Seems stable with no issues to report.

Is there a performance boost when gaming? I can't say I have noticed but that's not to say there isn't an improvement.

I don't know if anyone has given the latest Insider preview a go but obviously Windows 10 is coming a few improvements to the OS..

But after testing on my laptop the past week and very recently my desktop, the FPS increase in games is a massive boost, I have not done any FPS comparisons as such.. But all games run significantly smoother on my laptop, I can't really notice that much on my desktop, but the laptop runs games at higher settings and much smoother.

If anyone else is trying Windows 10 are you noticing any improvements in performance? I am using Build 10074..

Have you changed settings? All I know is W10 is supposed to use both cpu and gpu in conjunction somehow. Will I have to change any settings for that to work? I just usually go into nvidia CP and choose my gfx card.

Never changed any settings.. Just installed Windows 8 drivers as only ones available and installed a few games and on my laptop the difference in performance is incredible.

On my desktop with the 970 I don't really notice hardly anything.

I haven't tried Win10 as I don't really have a thing for development OS versions, but I plan to upgrade at least one of my licenses from Win8 to Win10 as it will reportedly be free for genuine users.

As for your performance boost on laptop, is it maybe a bit older/weaker spec? I have 6 years old HP laptop and when I switched from WinXP to Win7 I had massive performance boost both in games and everyday work. When I switched to Win8 performance seemed to stay about same.
On my desktop PC, which is a bit older than my laptop (I have only changed graphics card twice because previous cards stopped working) I have also made same switches with OS like on laptop, but I haven't really noticed huge performance gains, though Win8 seems to boot up a bit faster than Win7 or XP.

I read they are stopping at 10 and just making incremental updated for the future without any more numbered releases (kind of like adobe), anyone concerned that any updates you then get that cause problems means you cant escape it? Who will be dual booting with older O/S?

I think I will always keep a copy of windows 7/8 as a dual boot when I eventually get 10.

In fact i will getting a terra drive and will be installing 7/8/10 on it.

I read they are stopping at 10 and just making incremental updated for the future without any more numbered releases (kind of like adobe), anyone concerned that any updates you then get that cause problems means you cant escape it? Who will be dual booting with older O/S?

I think I will always keep a copy of windows 7/8 as a dual boot when I eventually get 10.

In fact i will getting a terra drive and will be installing 7/8/10 on it.

Microsoft are stopping at Windows 10..

The OS will receive yearly incremental updates like MAC OS.. So Windows will be become PC OS 10.1/10.2/10.3 and so on and so on.
Maybe they will also start naming their OS after dogs instead of cats.

OSX 10.1 - Pug
OSX 10.2 - Corgi
OSX 10.3 - Bulldog
OSX 10.4 - Nintendogs

perfect I change my PC in september :)

Might not want to do it then... Skylake is due in October/November..
Had ASRock in on a supplier visit last week and saw their prototype for first commercial board and saw a Intel Skylake chip for the first time.

In their initial benchmarking they said Skylake was around 15-30% performance increase over Haswell processors.

Didn't read the confirmation but it was rumoured to be coming out in July.. Which means I should be able to get the RTM in the next couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Might not want to do it then... Skylake is due in October/November..
Had ASRock in on a supplier visit last week and saw their prototype for first commercial board and saw a Intel Skylake chip for the first time.

In their initial benchmarking they said Skylake was around 15-30% performance increase over Haswell processors.
Thanks for the news, I see in september if I need to wait for that.

I've noticed a new icon near the notification area who gives the chance to "pre-order" the upgrade today.
I'm not planning to pre-order the upgrade (I will easily get a new license from DreamSpark once it's released and do a clean install) but it looks like everything is kinda ready.

I've noticed a new icon near the notification area who gives the chance to "pre-order" the upgrade today.

Yes, I got same on windows 7. Worryingly it makes me think how much support they will retain later on after 10 is fully out. I wont upgrade, I prefer to install a fresh install on fresh drive once a service pack comes out, shame it wont reserve for full copy distributable.

Last thing I need is to proceed and it fails in some way and cant revert back, or I find its not too great with some of my older rig ... too much of a potential nightmare to bother.

As I mentioned I also like to dual boot for safety and older programs & games etc.

Last edited:
So is this a free upgrade for everyone?

I wouldn't mind updating but when i went from 8 to 8.1 I lost loads of stuff so am a bit wary of upgrading.

What do you lot think of paragon backup and recovery for cloning the whole pc including partitions?

So is this a free upgrade for everyone?
Yes, any Win7 or Win8/8.1 users are able to upgrade for free within one year.

Want to create a new beast PC anyway later this year or next year, so I think that I will stick with Win7 till that.

Just need to wait until the Titan X gets cheaper :D

I know but so tempted to buy a beast of a machine with Titan X, overclocked CPU, watercooled, decent SSD and so on :BORED:

Well lucky for you the GTX 980ti was announced today and gives pretty much Titan performance for only $650 so nearly half the price of the Titan.

But I think a lot of people will be upgrading at some point this year, with a new OS, Skylake, DDR4 becoming the norm..
Just a massive shame PC's just aren't being tested these days due to extremely shit consoles. 4K is definitely the way forward but it will be at least 2-3 years before 4K is achievable from a £300 graphics card.

Good to see its free.

Should i hold off for a bit after release or are these updates fully compatible with older stuff already?

I am confused by one thing.

Just few minutes ago that "reserve free upgrade" icon has appeared on my PC, but I still can't find how that upgrade will be handled. Will it be downloaded through Windows Update like every other update including from Win8 to Win8.1 or will I get download link for .iso file which I then can burn on a disc and use my Win8 key to install and activate it. Because, I plan to buy new PC (everything except periphery and case) and I still can't find if I will be able to instal Win10 directly or will I need to install my Win8 and then upgrade it to Win10

Good to see its free.

Should i hold off for a bit after release or are these updates fully compatible with older stuff already?

Only issue will be drivers.. Software will not be an issue everything will be compatible.

So far on my machines I installed Windows 8 drivers and they all seem to be fine.
Software wise:
Adobe - Works
Microsoft Office - Works
DOSBox - Works
Steam - Works
Origin - Works
Uplay - Works
Plex - Works
PowerDVD - The agent keeps crashing but otherwise works fine.
These are pretty much the only software I install on Windows.
So far all games I have tested have worked perfectly, and have had an increase in FPS.

I am confused by one thing.

Just few minutes ago that "reserve free upgrade" icon has appeared on my PC, but I still can't find how that upgrade will be handled. Will it be downloaded through Windows Update like every other update including from Win8 to Win8.1 or will I get download link for .iso file which I then can burn on a disc and use my Win8 key to install and activate it. Because, I plan to buy new PC (everything except periphery and case) and I still can't find if I will be able to instal Win10 directly or will I need to install my Win8 and then upgrade it to Win10
Windows 10 will be delivered via Windows Update, no iso. That "reserve free upgrade" is just that Win Update will do it automatically right when it's out. Otherwise you have to manually start the Update to Windows 10.

I've been running Windows 10 for a couple of months now and not come across any compatibility issues. Very fast OS and no complaints from me running as my main OS right now.

You will be able to do a fresh install..
When you have a license key, just download an un-altered .iso file and burn that way, or hopefully Microsoft will allow you to download it to a bootable USB.

Windows 10 will be delivered via Windows Update, no iso. That "reserve free upgrade" is just that Win Update will do it automatically right when it's out. Otherwise you have to manually start the Update to Windows 10.

Thanks. So basically, if I want to install it on my new PC when I buy it and I don't have Windows 10 disc I can install Windows 8.1 and run windows update to upgrade it to Win10?

Thanks. So basically, if I want to install it on my new PC when I buy it and I don't have Windows 10 disc I can install Windows 8.1 and run windows update to upgrade it to Win10?
Yeah, should do the business.

I still wonder why anyone should buy Win10 within the first year. Just buy Win7 as it will be cheaper as Win8/10 for obvious reason and update it to Win10 :D

Any info on whether you can stream anything from the Xbox One to a computer? i.e. Is it just games or can you also throw in a blu ray or movie on USB stick and stream it to a computer?

Any info on whether you can stream anything from the Xbox One to a computer? i.e. Is it just games or can you also throw in a blu ray or movie on USB stick and stream it to a computer?

You can only stream Xbox One games to a PC.. So Desktop, Laptop, any tablet running Windows 10.
But unfortunetely you can't stream the other way.

You can test it now as the last few Windows 10 builds have had this facilty.

Back
Top Bottom