Alien: Isolation - PS4,XBO,PC,PS3,XB360

Re: Alien: Isolation - October 7 - PS4,XBO,PC,PS3,XB360

IGN just gave the game a 5.9..

Alien: Isolation seemed like the perfect Alien game on paper, and for the first handful of hours it even seems to deliver on its promise on the strength of its outstanding art and sound that faithfully recreates the ambiance of the classic horror film. Instead, what was the Great Xenomorphic Hope ends in another disappointment for a license loaded with interactive-entertainment potential. It’s a shame that Isolation doesn’t track stats, because I’d be curious to know how many of its roughly 15-20 hours I spent hiding in lockers, staring at the motion tracker, and, most of all, how many hundreds (yes, hundreds) of times I died without a chance to save myself.

It may seem strange to complain that a game’s too long, but when the genuine scares of being hunted by an unstoppable predator are so diluted by repetition and padding, Isolation’s epic length really does work against it. Someday, someone is going to make an incredible Alien video game that checks every box. But, sadly, Isolation is not it.

It´s getting very good reviews from other places apart from IGN (that´s probably a good sign since IGN is one of the least reliable source for reviews, only better than polygon)

The Guardian – 5/5
Total Xbox – 9
Xbox Achievements – 9
PCGamer – 9.3
Eurogamer – 8
Metro – 7
Gamespot – 6
GamesTM – 9
CVG – 8
Videogamer – 9
Games Radar – 4.5/5
IGN – 5.9
PlayUK – 9
The Escapist – 4.5/5
GameFront – 9.2
GodIsAGeek – 9
Polygon – 6.5
Digital Spy – 4.5/5
Game Informer – 7.75
Destructoid – 8.5
ShopTo – No score
Shack News – 8
GamerZone – 7
Joystiq – 4 / 5
GameTrailers – 7.4 / 10
Kotaku – “Yes”
GamesBeat – 83 / 100

IGN just gave the game a 5.9..

Alien: Isolation seemed like the perfect Alien game on paper, and for the first handful of hours it even seems to deliver on its promise on the strength of its outstanding art and sound that faithfully recreates the ambiance of the classic horror film. Instead, what was the Great Xenomorphic Hope ends in another disappointment for a license loaded with interactive-entertainment potential. It’s a shame that Isolation doesn’t track stats, because I’d be curious to know how many of its roughly 15-20 hours I spent hiding in lockers, staring at the motion tracker, and, most of all, how many hundreds (yes, hundreds) of times I died without a chance to save myself.

It may seem strange to complain that a game’s too long, but when the genuine scares of being hunted by an unstoppable predator are so diluted by repetition and padding, Isolation’s epic length really does work against it. Someday, someone is going to make an incredible Alien video game that checks every box. But, sadly, Isolation is not it.

IGN complaining abouth stealth in a stealth game? umm. i really dont like Shadow of Mordor because is a "dumb hack and slash" in my opinion but i wont write an impression about this and especially not doing it for living.

okay. this is the perfect Alien experience. no doubt. so much details, so creepy, so competitive, so well designed in every aspect, so many cool easter eggs for the fans.

im on PS3 lipsinc is not the best in cuscenes, there is some heavy frame rate drops but they are rare at least. no emotional investment, you will not worry about other characters imo(this is the bigest lackluster), story os not much, nothing extra imo but well done, no bullshit and the game fills a plothole well between Alien and Aliens already. if you love Alien or /and horror games get it now!

im almost at the end. only touched really the story mode but survivor and the dlcs seems much harder

It's definitely a very good game for Alien fans. I've played around 30% of it, and I must say it's hard and even though it can be fustrating at times, it's a rush of fresh air and offers a different experience. I love the way that the Alien is really scary and smart and you have to really think and measure your actions. Just not the cup of tea for a lot of people out there. I get why some will hate the game but for the same reasons I like it.

On the con side, some of the things you can read in the reviews: a bit repetitive, a bit fustrating, a bit lacking in certain aspects.

But, that said, ambientation and sound design are around the best I've experienced in PS4.

This game is clearly underrated. I'm about 60% of the main story and it's a very good game. Pure stealth mechanics. When you're about to finish a Mission you have inverted 30 minutes and the Alien is around, and you risk losing all the progress, you really get scary. It may be repetitive, but it's a great gameplay.

I had to stop reading the impressions people were posting in the thread over on eurogamer just to save me some money. It sounds fantastic though the only thing holding me back was I watched the gamespot video review and then alien seems a bit odd in its movement and they'd walk past it in plain sight and it was just stood away with the fairies.

Yeah, I'm a bit mixed on this one myself. Looks really good and pretty boring at the same time.

let me put this way this game is for you if

A. you in love with the frenchise
B. you love stealth games
C. A+B

I like both but in the videos I watched the alien just seems to move round like a headless chicken.

Whats the story like?

I like both but in the videos I watched the alien just seems to move round like a headless chicken.

Whats the story like?

You can´t play that kind of games, jay... You´re scared like a little girl. :SMUG:

Whats the story like?

well the randomness what also makes the game cool. the alien is not patrolling every area, except a few where its just there because of the story but i had moments where i was just walking around for one mission while others suffered since the alien showed up all the time. and its the better part when u see it, the worst when its in the vents...or far worse when the tracker doesnt even show it because its standing or hanging somewhere. and YET there are some parts where the tracker will be completely useless eventough its working ;)

if you dont want to spend big money on this, wait for some price drop. but as u said you like both genre, u must try.

...but if im right there is a demo out there too

The lights and volumetric effects are great in the game. It's not a AAA game, and you can feel it in little details here and there, but it's a very good game, and one of the best I've played this year. I'm towards the end and love the way you have to learn how to play and the subtelties of the gameplay.

I discovered last night that even if you can't craft an item, if you put crafting elements occupying the slots you can take more items into your inventory.

And I discovered I could replace the flashlight battery by holding triangle longer. In my oppinion the way the game lets you discover everything by yourself is brilliant and once you get past the initial 30%, it's much easier. But that initial 30% of the game can be brutal at times.

okay all the negativities(im a fanboy):

- story is not much
- no real character development(maybe it was intentional to feel more like you are Amanda) and there are no one alse to care for(maybe also intentional to be about just you and the alien, to relive the feeling the movie caused to come over you own demons)
- the "intro",
wich means without the alien
is too long
- the alien besides at some parts, just randomly going around the station. sometimes you feel the cat and mouse effect is just nowhere...ofcourse if it sense you then its a different case...
- the game gets a bit repetative: its all about going from A to B, push buttons then go back to A or C destination
- for evading danger there isnt much choice too. hide A, in a locker B, in a box-like locker C, hide in the vent D,under a desk/bed.
- crafting menu is horrible, just to hold down 3 buttons to make something
- crafting? why to craft afterall? why to confront afterall? droids are hard to kill and the alien is immortaly so why draw attention. and lets admit its very rare when you get saved by a molotov in the last minute
- weapons. ofcourse flamethrower comes very handy! but as for the other weapons(besides one part of the game) not needed at all

ofcourse crafting and weapons give more diversity to the gameplay but meh they go straight against the games phylosophy, never crafted anything but medkits

as for the positives everything they say on the web is true, everything you imagine, everything you could wish for from an Alien game its just there

Last edited:

Really enjoying this one,like a haunted house in space..definetly a great alternative to what's generally around at the moment without being to lettfield.

Plays on the phsycology of are most primal fears and harks back to a time when games were brutal and throwed up a genuine challenge.

Completely rips up the videogame manual,your weak,vulnerable,the hunted not the hunter.

Certainly dripping with atmosphere and the real fear comes from making it to the next savepont and your limited sense of sight.The ai of the alien is standout,it adapts,it learns and no where is safe.

I'm no alien fan although i did like the films but for me games like this should be applauded for genuinely being different and dishing something more oldschool up.

Not for everyone,but if you want something celebral where the real challenge is survival this is for you.

My only critique would be the cutscenes and lip synching takes away form the less is more approach of the game.

Finished it this weekend. One of the best games I've played this year. Features the best audio engineering I've ever experienced in a game and the artistic design is truly a homage to the original film.

Most of the reviews out there don't do justice to this game. Now, I'll try the DLCs.

I'm about half-way through it and so far I think that reviewers have been a bit too lenient. Don't get me wrong, it's eminently playable, an absolute joy at times, and if you like Alien then I can imagine it's the ultimate geek-out but for me it constantly moves between great, mystifying, and unbelievably frustrating.

Many of the reviewers claimed it was over-long but what I think they really meant was that it lacks any genuine attempt at pacing or an identifiable plot that truly allows it sustain its 15+ duration. After a space-walk goes horribly wrong in the first 10 minutes of the game you get stuck on a space-station with no means of contacting your ship and for the next 10 hours (or as far as I am) your time is spent walking back and forth through a space-station doing random tasks, fetch-quests, and odd-jobs so that you may well do something like escape? contact home? find your mother? Not since the first section has anything really been explained or elaborated and I get the feeling that the developers have taken it for granted that video-game players are too willing to do random assorted tasks when it's asked of them because that's what they usually do when they play games.

The other main parts of the gameplay consist of either fighting or sneaking past an array of enemies including humans (who shoot you because that's what humans in video-games do), ruthless androids who stop at nothing to make ruin your day, and, of course, the Alien creature itself who, as far as I can tell, has a personal vendetta against me and just me because wherever I go throughout the massive fucking space-station it will inevitable go too.

Obviously the surviving aspect is a big part of the game, but whether there's any rhyme or reason is still beyond me. I've adopted a trial and error approach so far, choosing to die about 30 times each mission just so that I might best figure out how to go about turning on or off the power/going down the next elevator/pulling down the lever/opening up the right door (cross out as appropriate) before the Alien shatters my colon, small intestine, spleen, lung, and gall bladder simultaneously. Necessarily this means tension and fear is a mixed bag as the game can be as strategic as it is random and half the time I have no idea why I'm supposed to be following the blip that says where to go in the first place.

As I'm only 10 hours in, I will finish it but it's hard to say that the experience has been anywhere near a flawless one. I can't shake the feeling that it seems to be a foundation for a much better game and that the game could really have done with some editing down to make it better paced. As far as I can tell it's one of the more interesting newer releases so I can see why it's receiving buzz and I'd still heartily recommend you try it, but my problems with it might well be that the highs of the game (graphics, sound-design, set-design, atmosphere) are so high that the lows of the game (story, and the gameplay elements that I mentioned) can't help but feel jarring in comparison.

Last edited:

I started playing this the other night, I got as far as meeting the alien for the first time and a trophy popped up 'the hunt begins'.
I had to turn it off after that as it was midnight and I don't think I could handle the alien just yet. I'm playing on hard so the random humans who are out there can take me out with 2 shots. It really forces me into thinking and playing it as a true survival game.

I have not meet the Alien yet - turned it off after 40 minutes after meeting some guy.

Don't think I will pick it up again as no game should be that fecking boring...

Maybe trade it while it's still worth something?

I'm enjoying it. Though I tend to only play for an hour or two at the most at a time. Or if I die, I might end I there.
I like the difficulty, but hate having to replay long sections. But that's not a knock on this game, it's just my own preference. I equally dislike demon souls for the same reason. That feeling of losing 30 minutes play, gone.... In a flash. :(

But then there are times where I die and I loved it. Like this earlier today.
YouTube - Alien: Isolationâ„¢ - Didn't see that coming

Watching the video back now I feel stupid for not seeing the legs. Lol

Down to £25 at the moment, think I'll try it out.

I actually enjoyed Colonial Marines, so I'm thinking I won't be disappointed. Loved the Films mind you.

FD

Picked this up cheap over the holidays. Best £22 I've spent in ages. A must for fans of the franchise

Picked this up cheap over the holidays. Best £22 I've spent in ages. A must for fans of the franchise

do you need a lot of patience.

I got to the area with the first bad guys when u open that door to the big room, ull know what im on about, 1st real main encounter with enemies.

I walk about the room and upstairs etc not sure where to go and keep dieing..i just gave up...seems so much stress i can put on bf or pes etc and have instant fun...this game needs persevernce and hard work

not at all after a while. we just got lazy fat checkpoint bastards during the last decade :)

btw after we completed the game on our own i spoke to my mates and we laughed at eachother at wich part of the game who struggled. someone completed a mission with ease at first try where i was stucked for an hour, other parts it was like a walk in a park for me, yet my friends were annoyed like hell with the game

it depends on so many things, also the randomness of the Xeno makes it more different, intresting :) if you give up, you give up one of the game of the year

Back
Top Bottom