Forza Motorsport 4

the csr is by far the most amazing piece of hardware i ever owned. wow. so much fun, the build quality, the looks...:D

Guy's, sorry to kind of hijack the Forza thread with more wheel talk, but I'll be getting Forza 4 soon and having tried a cheap wheel I kind of want to get something better.

Ideally I'd like a wheel that can be used on both xbox and PS3, though I doubt I'll be able to get that. Can anyone recommend a wheel to play Forza 4 and other racing games that has force feedback? The official xbox wheel isn't being made anymore and can't really push it beyond £100 or so.

Are there any options out there?

Guy's, sorry to kind of hijack the Forza thread with more wheel talk, but I'll be getting Forza 4 soon and having tried a cheap wheel I kind of want to get something better.

Ideally I'd like a wheel that can be used on both xbox and PS3, though I doubt I'll be able to get that. Can anyone recommend a wheel to play Forza 4 and other racing games that has force feedback? The official xbox wheel isn't being made anymore and can't really push it beyond £100 or so.

Are there any options out there?

Your only option is a wheel from German company Fanatec. They have a couple of wheels in their range that are 360, PS3 and PC compatible. However they are high-end wheels and cost about £250, so probably no good for your budget. I'm looking to get one as they are top quality and I'm serious about my racing sims, but it's a lot to spend if you are more casual.

Try tracking down a used (and discontinued) MS Wireless force feedback wheel. Mind you they are still quite pricey on eBay.

The problem is the PS3 and 360 handle force feedback differently. 360 compatible wheels need to have an MS built chip on board whereas as the PS3 is software based.

Last edited:
Damnit, I thought you'd say that! :(

Yeah I had a look at the MS official wheel but people are capitalising on the rarity of it and bumping up the price to nearly £200 now. Really don't wanna spend that much on a wheel though, but similarly I don't really wanna use the cheap £30 I have right now!

Forza 4 looks stunning btw!

Damnit, I thought you'd say that! :(

Yeah I had a look at the MS official wheel but people are capitalising on the rarity of it and bumping up the price to nearly £200 now. Really don't wanna spend that much on a wheel though, but similarly I don't really wanna use the cheap £30 I have right now!

Forza 4 looks stunning btw!

I can't believe anyone would pay £200 for a MS wheel. You may as well stick in the extra and buy a Fanatec which is a high-end product. The average Joe has probably never heard of Fanatec and sellers on ebay take advantage.

It was only about £80 new.

so i am more of a hotlapper, if you want to "compare" times in rivals mode etc. add me :)

fcOPM :BRMM::BRMM:

I can't believe anyone would pay £200 for a MS wheel.

Really?! I've got one and it's hardly been used. I don't really bother with driving games tbh and it's just in the way. I don't think I have the box anymore but the kit is in perfect condition. Might look at flogging it.

Kids might like it at some point though and if I sort my attic out into a proper gaming/cinema room, it might be a decent place to set it up.

Not sure what to do. It's tempting though. Might keep an eye on the free listing offers that pop up now and then.

the csr is by far the most amazing piece of hardware i ever owned. wow. so much fun, the build quality, the looks...:D

I took the plunge and ordered the CSR wheel and CSR pedal set from Fanatec. They now do a value pack where you get both for €299, which worked out at £280 delivered. Yes it's a lot of money for a wheel but as OPM said it's a fantastic piece of kit and well worth it if you play racing games as much as I do.

Everything but the Simulation part. :P

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving Forza so far and it's actually more fun than GT5 as a result, but it isn't on the same level of car physics as GT5.Far too easy to slide a car around and recover it in Forza and strangely I'm finding drifting a FF car seems to be a bit of a feature as well, without even really initiating it (not that this is even easy in reality anyway).

:BRMM:

Not quite true. After turning on simulation steering, trying to catch a slide can be very difficult. It's quite easy to get a tank-slapper going if you fail. Also, the most recent patch has made steering with a wheel much more difficult, particularly if you increase the steering lock from the default 270 which can be done with the 900 degree Fanatec wheels. Doing so makes the game absolutely brutal.

I don't think the argument that GT5's physics are so much better really holds water. Another thing Forza excels over GT5 is the force feedback. It's much more communicative and I can feel the exact point at which the grip limit has been reached.

Really?! I've got one and it's hardly been used. I don't really bother with driving games tbh and it's just in the way. I don't think I have the box anymore but the kit is in perfect condition. Might look at flogging it.

Kids might like it at some point though and if I sort my attic out into a proper gaming/cinema room, it might be a decent place to set it up.

Not sure what to do. It's tempting though. Might keep an eye on the free listing offers that pop up now and then.

I sold my MS Wheel for £60 delivered in the classifieds on AVF. You'd have no problem shifting it there.

Are you selling your wheel?

Ill buy it if you are

That's the thing with ISR they give racing games proper thorough reviews instead of playing it for 3 days before release and giving it a score they regret a couple of months down the line.

Yeah, but anyone who's into racing games will have picked up Forza on day one or soon after. Let's face it, only the hardcore race sim nuts will even visit a site like ISR, so who are they reviewing for? Or is it more of an editorial piece looking back at Forza 4, three months on?

Also, the likes of ISR will have had preview copies of Forza 4 on their desks long before the game hit the shelves, so they would have had time to comprehensively play the game and write a review before release.

Yeah, but anyone who's into racing games will have picked up Forza on day one or soon after. Let's face it, only the hardcore race sim nuts will even visit a site like ISR, so who are they reviewing for? Or is it more of an editorial piece looking back at Forza 4, three months on?

Also, the likes of ISR will have had preview copies of Forza 4 on their desks long before the game hit the shelves, so they would have had time to comprehensively play the game and write a review before release.

Personally i want to see how Forza 4 stacks up against other sims that i have not played.

Preview copies are just that preview, The Review copies drop around 1 week before release and tend to have things missing.

Only got this just before xmas (don't know how I managed to wait so long as i'm a forza 3 veteran) and this is so much better than forza 3. The career mode is far superior due to the grid being more equal.

The 100% discount on upgrades when you reach level 4 for affinity means that customizing cars doesn't drain your money, which is great for people like me who spend quite a bit of time in that side of the game.

If anybody is up for a few online races (class, cycled production or drifting) add me: - andythom77

Get this wheel :P

http://www.fanatec.com/pwgt2

csre-top.jpg

You tried RF2 yet? you will love that mate

You tried RF2 yet? you will love that mate

rFactor 2?

No, not got a good enough PC for that, although I think I'm going to have to invest in a modest gaming set up. There are just not enough racing sims on the consoles for me. GTR3 looks like another very promising sim, and there was talk of a console version, but following the poor sales of Race Pro I doubt that will happen.

By the way, I can vouch for the Fanatec CSR. I've had it a month now and it's excellent.

Back
Top Bottom