Fifa 11 Xbox 360/PS3

Re: Fifa 11

Tbh, all I care about is MM, and player stats having an effect on players. These are basic for me.

MM is my main concern too :P but I feel the player individuality is another big rewrite and in a way a shift to more AI (stat) control in order to make the player feel and play like his human counterpart...
This is a change of direction for EA and I doubt we'll see that for a while either...

So, Gab, you want the keepers to be more organic so that they don't save the ball the same way every time. Cool, I'll edit the previous list. Any others? Anything people have put in the Suggestions thread that they think will be in FIFA 11?

Defending System needs an overhaul - No more smashing "X" as it will be counter productive and more trying to intercept allowing time on the midfield generals.

Attacking/Defending AI - Needs a big improvement.

Ping Pong Passing - Needs to be redone so I can't smash X and not lose the ball

Stats having making a difference

MM is my main concern too :P but I feel the player individuality is another big rewrite and in a way a shift to more AI (stat) control in order to make the player feel and play like his human counterpart...
This is a change of direction for EA and I doubt we'll see that for a while either...

Well if that doesn't happen then I can't see myself playing Fifa. It should be vital, specially in MM. What's the point in buying people based on their stats then...

Adam from WEB/FSB is saying good things about what we'll hear on Wednesday. He seems to think we'll be happy finally. That must be player indiviuality? Surely???

MM should be playable in be-a-pro mode (ie. you play as one player throughout any match), as should all tournament modes.

Lesser teams need to be more fun to play with. Nearly every League 1 and 2 match in FIFA10 (and 09) was a turgid affair with virtually no goals. The premise that they're lesser players and so won't be very good at shooting seems to have been adopted. In reality, there are just as many goals scored in lower league football, some of very high quality. If you're going to reduce shooting stats (power and accuracy), then make sure goalkeeping and defending stats are reduced also, thus keeping up the ratio of goals.

AI defenders are too perfect - instant reactions, win every standing tackle, win every slide tackle, physics clearly biased in their favour.

CPU goalkeepers are the only ones that ever have wonderful matches with endless amazing saves, whilst the human team's goalkeeper is invariably some butter-fingered, trembling idiot who either lets in the only cpu shot of the game or parries most saves to a cpu player. How about the human team's keeper is sometimes the match winner? Ever thought of that?

How about some matches where the ref is biased in favour of the human team, instead of always the cpu team? Ever thought of that?

How about the cpu team sometimes misplace passes.

How about the cpu team, when they have the ball around their own 18 yard line, don't just punt a 50 yard ball which always goes perfectly straight to a cpu striker just beyond the centre circle every single time, no matter which team, which player...jeez, what a script...

How about sometimes when the cpu cross into the box, it doesn't go straight to the head of a cpu striker, no matter which team or which player? Script, script, script.

Oh, and 2v2, 3v3, etc should be more easily set up in on-line play with randoms, rather than hidden away in some private rooms thing which hardly anyone ever uses.

Lesser teams need to be more fun to play with. Nearly every League 1 and 2 match in FIFA10 (and 09) was a turgid affair with virtually no goals. The premise that they're lesser players and so won't be very good at shooting seems to have been adopted. In reality, there are just as many goals scored in lower league football, some of very high quality. If you're going to reduce shooting stats (power and accuracy), then make sure goalkeeping and defending stats are reduced also, thus keeping up the ratio of goals.
It's an interesting point, and something I'll be looking at making a thread about soon. PES gets away with making Glasgow Rangers play like utter shite because they don't have to go any lower than that. I guarantee that League One or League Two would break PES, which is why they've never gone any lower than the top leagues.

AI defenders are too perfect - instant reactions, win every standing tackle, win every slide tackle, physics clearly biased in their favour.
You need to get WC2010. It is a problem that the AI knows FIFA inside out, whereas we only have a human understanding of these systems, but WC2010 is a lot more even.

CPU goalkeepers are the only ones that ever have wonderful matches with endless amazing saves, whilst the human team's goalkeeper is invariably some butter-fingered, trembling idiot who either lets in the only cpu shot of the game or parries most saves to a cpu player. How about the human team's keeper is sometimes the match winner? Ever thought of that?
Never had this problem. Craig Gordon certainly flattered my qualification run in WC2010, but I don't remember this problem in FIFA 10 either. I'd wager you're remembering the crap moments your keeper has while forgetting the good saves he makes, and vice versa with the CPU keeper. Certainly there's no difference in the AI for each, other than for the person shooting.

How about some matches where the ref is biased in favour of the human team, instead of always the cpu team? Ever thought of that?
Again, I think this is selective memory.

How about the cpu team sometimes misplace passes.
This is what all your interpretations of the game being 'scripted' actually boil down to. Passes are always inch perfect in weight and direction, but also the AI's decision making is too good. The game is unscripted, but the opponent AI is coded in such a way that it makes a lot of perfect decisions and attributes don't affect their passing.

How about the cpu team, when they have the ball around their own 18 yard line, don't just punt a 50 yard ball which always goes perfectly straight to a cpu striker just beyond the centre circle every single time, no matter which team, which player...jeez, what a script...

See above. It's not scripted. The AI's just too inhuman with it's decision making and stats don't give the fuzziness to counter this.

How about sometimes when the cpu cross into the box, it doesn't go straight to the head of a cpu striker, no matter which team or which player? Script, script, script.
Ditto.

You need to get WC2010. It is a problem that the AI knows FIFA inside out, whereas we only have a human understanding of these systems, but WC2010 is a lot more even.

I have WC2010. It's exactly the same, although they thankfully have made the weakest teams less brilliant (compared with Euro2008).

Again, I think this is selective memory.

Try putting the point to them. I'd like to hear what they have to say about it.

This is what all your interpretations of the game being 'scripted' actually boil down to. Passes are always inch perfect in weight and direction, but also the AI's decision making is too good. The game is unscripted, but the opponent AI is coded in such a way that it makes a lot of perfect decisions and attributes don't affect their passing.

See above. It's not scripted. The AI's just too inhuman with it's decision making and stats don't give the fuzziness to counter this.

I use the word scripted deliberately, knowing full well that the game is not entirely scripted. But there are numerous events that unfold that are "scripted". They are entirely predictable because they are essentially guaranteed (scripted) to happen - so I use the word scripted. I hope my use of the word annoys them as much as their scripted events annoy me (and many others).

It's been put to them by all sorts of people, and yes they do find it annoying. They just don't listen to people who say the game is scripted because they know it isn't. Therefore nothing gets done about it. If, however, you tell them what the actual problem is - the unscripted problem that makes aspects of the game feel scripted - then they are more likely to listen and change their game. Thus nobody is annoyed.

Above everything else, I want to hear that they've fixed the defensive AI. I want AI teammates to defend cohesively as a unit, to position and re-position themselves intelligently, to set a realistic defensive line, and to mark properly. That's far and away the priority for me.

After that: player individuality. NOT cosmetic things like special animations, unique faces/accessories... I mean weak foot frequency and making it so that the attributes actually make any tangible difference at all. I want to be able to feel/see when a player has 47 or 85 for Positioning. Not only would this be an on-pitch improvement for any mode, it would naturally have a huge knock-on effect for MM, and the whole experience from top to bottom becomes richer and deeper.

And un-hide Player Traits too, assuming they even do anything.

Last edited:

That's a massive rewrite of the so called core programme I fear and we wont see that for years... :((

I know :(

Adam from WEB/FSB is saying good things about what we'll hear on Wednesday. He seems to think we'll be happy finally. That must be player indiviuality? Surely???

Problem is that it might just be cosmetic. Because Gary Paterson asked what specific animations people wanted to see from top players. That doesn't really make them more individual, they play like clones but some might have another animation set.

If you read the official forum you can see that most people don't seem to want individualism. From what I've seen, most people want it to be completely skill based (all online people). They hate it when the computer get in the way and make them miss the goal (stats).

But who knows... I hope they add stat based manual controls too so I can't be Xavi with crappy players. I want manual aim, but I don't want the ball to go exactly where I aim all the time.

I know :(

Problem is that it might just be cosmetic. Because Gary Paterson asked what specific animations people wanted to see from top players. That doesn't really make them more individual, they play like clones but some might have another animation set.

If you read the official forum you can see that most people don't seem to want individualism. From what I've seen, most people want it to be completely skill based (all online people). They hate it when the computer get in the way and make them miss the goal (stats).

But who knows... I hope they add stat based manual controls too so I can't be Xavi with crappy players. I want manual aim, but I don't want the ball to go exactly where I aim all the time.

I can't help but feel a lot of those people saying they don't want individualism are just arguing against those who are praising PES. A lot of the anti-individuality people are either just arguing against PES 'trolls' or see inaccuracy as random, rather than intelligently calculated. There's also this idea that the problems with the game are the community's fault, not FIFA's. As Xaor/Rod and I said in there though, it isn't the end of a discussion - only the very beginning.

What FIFA needs is a fully fledged equivalent of these forums. The sort of place you find by being a hardcore fan, rather than by reading the back of a manual. PESFan went to shit when it became the official fan site and swelled up with people who type with their sloped foreheads; official game forums are like that by default.

What FIFA needs is a reason for people to get together about stuff like this. For Evo-Web the main thrust (or at least what got me here) was patches, since PESFan wouldn't allow talk about patching with official club emblems etc. Sadly FIFA's had official licensing for ages, and the PC version hasn't really been worth a look until FIFA 11.

Last edited:

What FIFA needs is a fully fledged equivalent of these forums. The sort of place you find by being a hardcore fan, rather than by reading the back of a manual. PESFan went to shit when it became the official fan site and swelled up with people who type with their sloped foreheads; official game forums are like that by default.

What FIFA needs is a reason for people to get together about stuff like this. For Evo-Web the main thrust (or at least what got me here) was patches, since PESFan wouldn't allow talk about patching with official club emblems etc. Sadly FIFA's had official licensing for ages, and the PC version hasn't really been worth a look until FIFA 11.

Amen to that. PESfan is woeful these days.

It's true, Fifa needs a decent independent fansite. Apart from the official EA forums (infested with morons) and FSB (as-good-as official) I don't really see where Fifa fans can gather for decent discussion of ideas. Evo-web is better than any Fifa site I've visited in terms of sensible and mature discussion about the game, and this is technically a PES site.

I'm afraid the "big news" that Adam is hinting at is that they will reveal that the PC version is the same as consoles this year. Makes sense since every other post in the official FIFA PC forum is about how the person hates EA for not having the same version. Also that polish magazine said that would be the case this year.

If that's the big news I will be so disappointed, they better have some impressive changes to the gameplay too.

I'm afraid the "big news" that Adam is hinting at is that they will reveal that the PC version is the same as consoles this year. Makes sense since every other post in the official FIFA PC forum is about how the person hates EA for not having the same version. Also that polish magazine said that would be the case this year.

If that's the big news I will be so disappointed, they better have some impressive changes to the gameplay too.

I somehow doubt it's that. It could happen, but I have serious doubts that those are the news coming Wednesday.

I doubt that'll be the only news! Unless you mean from FSB.

The sort of place you find by being a hardcore fan, rather than by reading the back of a manual. PESFan went to shit when it became the official fan site and swelled up with people who type with their sloped foreheads; official game forums are like that by default.

Hahahaha

In all fairness to those forums the 'suggestions' section is kind of the unofficial yet official section for the more hardcore Fifa fan.

It's been put to them by all sorts of people, and yes they do find it annoying. They just don't listen to people who say the game is scripted because they know it isn't. Therefore nothing gets done about it. If, however, you tell them what the actual problem is - the unscripted problem that makes aspects of the game feel scripted - then they are more likely to listen and change their game. Thus nobody is annoyed.

One of these days, I'll put together some sort of list...again. For years, some of us have been discussing in detail these things (including similar issues with PES) and in the last couple of years, I've got to the point where I can't be bothered going into detail when nobody (certainly not Konami) is listening.

It's too late to fix anything for this year's game. I can't believe anything you put to them now will be acted upon in time for September....other than having the right boots for so and so, or equally trivial details.

I doubt that'll be the only news! Unless you mean from FSB.

I'm not saying it would be the only news, it's just that it would be big news for a lot of PC gamers.

Adam was hinting in a post that FIFA 11 will continue copying PES, does anyone know what he could be talking about? Not sure what there is left to copy from PES now. Would be nice if they copied BAL though.

We need to act quicker on 11's issues of which I'm sure there will be many, if like me you play the thing to death it only takes a few weeks to pick the thing apart...

It seems we're always in this situation every year, a decisive list needs making up and every FIFA player on here needs to sign up and send a copy to anyone who counts at EA...

Last edited:

Absolutely. It is annoying when people say EA don't listen - they've been listening to me (and therefore you) all year now. A lot of the people who say they never listen are people who aren't making themselves heard. There are fucking millions of threads on the official forums full of all types of ideas, comments, abuse, inanity, football talk, fake news etc etc. As Northzzz says, the Feedback Section over there is far more sane because a lot of people don't even know it exists. The more proactive everyone is about making suggestions, saving and explaining replays of game flaws, talking about what needs to be done in certain areas etc, the more likely it is that you will be listened to by the chief devs at EA. The sooner you do it, the sooner EA can factor it in to their year of R&D, and discuss how to fix it.

I've never been there but from what I heard its full of kids suggesting fluff.

Kiev - you can score free kicks with these players as well. It's not just the CPU. In fact I made some vids of Van Der Sar scoring free kicks at leisure and sent them to EA. Apparently my vids are why EA sorted free kicks out in WC2010. Which is why, after a year of sending a lot of good ideas from here onto them, I'm very confident it won't "be the same as 10".

if the game shit this year, I'm on the PC then. Might taken Mr Reloaded version too.

Adam was hinting in a post that FIFA 11 will continue copying PES, does anyone know what he could be talking about? Not sure what there is left to copy from PES now. Would be nice if they copied BAL though.

Of course it stands to reason that EA would try to better attract PES fans (as with me in 08) and vice-versa. Gameplay-wise I imagine this would have to be individuality wouldn't it? Or some form of it; that is, maybe Ronaldo wont feel exactly like Ronaldo but they'll bring back traits which actually work and can make Ronaldo feel appropriate. One would surmise the implication to be stats will matter a great deal more. Other than that, perhaps strikers square up when they shoot/favor their dominant foot more.

I really hope they emulate the PES stat interface, or at least implement what they did with ultimate team and the color coding scheme. This would make life exponentially simpler when comparing stats.

Other than that maybe they finally changed the net physics!!!! Pop the bubbly fan-boys!

Back
Top Bottom