FIFA 13

OPM

2 June 2003
No thread yet? :CONFUSE:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/346332/fifa-13-players-to-look-more-realistic/

FIFA 13 players 'to look more realistic'

While previously it was only possible to offer highly accurate 3D facial likenesses for the most recognisable players, a press release from Glasgow-based Dimensional Imaging claims the firm's new tech will allow EA to give more players than ever the "DI3D star treatment".
Mike Harrison, director of EA Capture at Electronic Arts, said: "We recognised a few years ago that raising the quality of facial appearance was an increasing priority for our game teams. Working closely with Dimensional Imaging has allowed us to develop a highly accurate 3D facial capture pipeline that is now so efficient that we can apply it to more characters than we ever thought possible."

Dimensional Imaging CEO Colin Urquhart added: "The relentless increase in the quality of computer graphics makes it ever more necessary to capture real life human likenesses in order to create believable virtual characters, but this process has traditionally been very time consuming for video game development.

"EA was one of the first developers to recognize the need for improved capture workflows, and working with them since EA Sports FIFA 10 has been instrumental in helping Dimensional Imaging to develop a product suite that is now suitable for even the most demanding development pipelines in the business."

Fifa 13 is the most realistic yet, downing misses a 1 on 1!
Fifa 13 gameplay looks good, lots of improvements and added realism
Unfortunately they wouldnt go into detail about the different game modes but never the less got some good info on fifa 13
Barcelona should have their own acting school
If you thought contain defending would be taken out you are naive
http://fifagamersblog.com/2012/04/20/fifa-13-presentation-de-la-premiere-version-a-la-presse/

Too early for me to start reading about FIFA 13! :P

Makes the wait much harder and let's face it we have a LONG way to go till the game is released and the enjoyment of FIFA12 which I'm still very much doing less so I think I'll stay away but thanks for the thread and info. :)

I think we should be waiting for more changes in FIFA 2014 because 2012 was started before 2011 and the result was way better :) so they will do 2013 just for ca$h, likely to have little changes from 2012 which is a great result of 2 year work (details on NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC documentary)
of course I hope I will be wrong and we will have another step forward in football virtuality

Dedicated 2v2 online mode please EA! Also make it ranked that would be nice eh?

Fed up with sitting in lobbies trying to arrange games when you get Nobbers who dont know what 2v2 means and RUIN it for people who want to play legit.

FIFA 12 is OK with edited sliders, so this may be worth a purchase if they make some substantial gameplay/AI improvements.

yeah, having a good time. hope they improve upon this.

Yeah I think the same, I'll probably still end up getting it at some point, though I'll be thinking twice after constantly buying the game each year then getting bored of it.

This year's version is so odd, I don't have a bad word to say about it and enjoyed it immensely for a while, but like previous versions of the game, there's something not quite right, something missing, that doesn't make me want to come back and play it. So that's odd, I don't have a bad word to say about the game but at the same time I haven't touched it for a couple of months now.

Totally agree. I just can't put my finger on why the magic isn't really there, but it isn't. Loved it when it came out though.

Fifa 12 have horrible and unrealistic AI in my opinion and every match looks the same. EA have implemented some technical elements very good, like shots, impact engine, passes, but have failed to give us a game with passion and real football feeling.

I don't care about graphics, new dribbling, or more licenses. I want passion and clever AI. Hope Fifa 13 give us these elements

more licenses? you can't hold that against ea anymore, they even decreased the number of teams in 12.

oh wait, that's not good either. :D

i've settled with the fact that i enjoy it more, however flawed it might be. just can't go back to konami at this point.

The main problem with FIFA 12 imo is the AI - both your teammates and opponents are too rigid and predictable. The same scenarios play out far too frequently, no matter how much you fiddle with the tactics or sliders.

The opponent AI seems to be programmed in a reactive nature rather than trying to predict and anticipate - this is blatantly obvious when you use the right stick knock on, the AI simply doesn't expect it and by the time they react they're left with a clean set of heels, especially against the more agile dribblers, it almost feels like cheating.

In single player I mostly find myself trying to play nice creative/realistic football, until I get bored of that and then just do "what works" against the CPU and then just completely boss the match, even on Legendary.

In multiplayer it's still very much a casual game, no realistic tactics pay off - a full throttle gung-ho high-tempo attacking short-passing game is the way to go regardless of team rating.

Without trying to sound like I'm boasting, when I play my mates at pool or snooker, I comfortably win 90%+ of the time because I used to play/watch snooker regularly and I know the tactical side fairly well.
With racing games, once I get used to the handling I'll usually start lapping my friends due to watching a lot of motorsports and knowing the racing lines/braking points.

Yet whenever I play FIFA (default settings) against my mates, some of which take almost no interest in football, it's pretty much 50/50. As I said before, I'm not trying to boast, but I have been very interested in football for years, I can play it fairly well and I like to think I have a decent tactical understanding of the game and I think this should count for something in FIFA, but it seemingly doesn't.

I don't see the point in playing a football game that doesn't replicate football in any substantial way but visuals.

The main problem of Fifa at this point is that thinking in footballing terms is usually the worse option for you as a player and the AI is excruciatingly bad, amongst the worse AI designs I have suffered. it doesnt pay off to be creative and it ends up being all too mechanical.

Some of the situations in finishing may feel exciting for some seconds but the whole midfield game is gone and terribly prone to counterattacks and exploitable to death, as tactics and stats doesnt make a real impact other than speed and strength, so it ends up being as shallow as last generation games.

So, if they dont realyy put some solid work in this and forget th aesthetics for a year I might gain interest again, but we know this wont happen. They will dedicate 99% of the time to faces, stupid tricks and marketing stuff and a tweak to the AI and thats all.

I still remeber that video about Vvision stat and how passing would change in Fifa12 and at the end all cpu players can do the same pixel perfect passes no matter their stats. First thing I did was a 180 - turn and pass with a shitty player and it deliver a perfect pass. Not to mention the all new tactical deffense that was a complete waste good for nothing and the collision impact rugby body engone. Come on, it is just ridiculous.

Last edited:
The main problem of Fifa at this point is that thinking in footballing terms is usually the worse option for you as a player and the AI is excruciatingly bad, amongst the worse AI designs I have suffered. it doesnt pay off to be creative and it ends up being all too mechanical.

This is the problem for me. FIFA can't elevate itself above a simple football game rather than a game of football, if that makes sense. It's an experience that can be very repetitive and formulaic.

PES, for all its faults, still requires the player to think football. The gameplay can be quite varied and unpredictable - unfair at times - but challenging. To beat the game you have to think carefully about tactics and team selection, and play the game as you see it in real life.

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here.gif
Well aren't you the clever one using a hilarious meme...
As I said I used to practice often and play snooker for clubs, obviously I am going to beat people who only play pool when they go to the pub for a drink.

As I said I'm not boasting, it's just a fact that people who have more practice of a game and know the tactical side will have a clear advantage when it comes to most games/sports.

FIFA doesn't play up to this though - the way the gameplay works almost makes it an entirely different game in itself rather than a replication of football.

When I play PES against these same people I have no trouble whatsoever in bossing the entire match with a realistic tactical approach - I can get the ball under control, dictate the pace of the game with my passing, nip their attacks in the bud etc.
This isn't saying PES is a better game technically, it obviously isn't, but it definitely relies more upon a more thoughtful and methodical way of playing.

I always give FIFA a chance each year and try the demo, I won't dismiss FIFA 13 yet but EA do seem oblivious to the tactical side of football up until now - to them an "improvement" is just adding more faces, mo-cap or collision systems. For me that just won't cut it, and the only real news we have so far is that the player faces will be improved.

I agree that you have to think more football in PES, but 12 is so broken that most of the time you can't execute what you want to do and most frstrating: the shooting is random...

FIFA12 is not perfect, but it is good enough for me...

Back
Top Bottom