The Last Of Us

Funny how much time they spend saying these things aren't zombies, given that they seem to act, think and move much like them. They might not be zombies, zombies would be well within their rights to sue.

Reminds me of this:

YouTube - mcdowellderrek

Still, I'm interested. A post-apocalyptic zombie (or jombie or whatever they're gonna call it) game with a sense of maturity and a proper, grown up narrative is better than a game with an original premise but not the subtlety or writing talent to make the most of it. I thought Dishonored was a huge letdown, I've not even finished it because I simply didn't care anymore. That kind of had zombies in too, of course...!

It's annoying because so few games are actually well written, (genuinely) grown-up and well acted. There ends up being so much scrutiny of the one or two possible contenders that emerge every couple of years. It's so rare for any title to get everything right - as long as the tone and the script is right I can handle some fungbies clicking around the place. Far better than putting up with Mass Effect, Metal Gear and Halo going around thinking they're well written.

Awesome. Looks like its more walking dead than resi evil. More about human interaction and them being a threat than just the 'zombie' like mutants.

That would be fine for me, I like linear. I've never been the exploring type. Just let me follow the story and I'm good.

open worlds have linear stories anyways. most of them at least. and those who don't just have multiple linear stories with the same crappy ending....

Openworld games tend to have far more things to do than simply follow the story, I like games with side missions, collectibles etc. etc. The last two games I've played are a perfect example of what I want and don't want from a game:

On the one hand you have Bioshock Infinite which is a linear, arcade shooter, great setting, interesting style/visuals but for me completely wasted because there's nothing to do besides follow from A-B-C doing one boss battle, one scripted shootout after another, got bored after 7 or 8 hours or so and probably won't ever go back to it.

Then I started the new TombRaider, superb visuals, well balanced shooting mechanics with a mixture of stealth/arcade gameplay, mostly linear story but there's a decent amount of things to explore/collect etc so the game doesn't feel stale even after 15+ hours of play, I can proceed through the story if I feel like it or I can go back and explore/collect as I wish.

Every other mutant they show my interest in the game keeps going lower. Funny how they need a creative director to end up putting bloody mutant zombies in the game. How creative...

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...eview-hails-contender-for-best-game-this-gen/

This certainly seems promising

Edit: found the full review in the comments.
First Last of Us review. It's from a film site via another site and seems to be gone now, but i copied it before it went.

A fungal plague has devastated humanity, reducing the infected to brutal, mis-shapen wrecks. Two decades on from the outbreak, you play Joel, an emotionally haunted survivor as he guides the young Ellie to a safehouse on the other side of wasteland America. On the surface, the set-up could be pitched as Ico meets The Walking Dead but the execution makes it so much more than that.

The world you'll be travelling is fraught with danger, more often from other humans than from the Infected, but is unerringly beautiful. Nature has reclaimed urban spaces, and the results are stunning. Colour and lighting change with the seasons as the story progresses, and characters' appearances become worn and tired with time. This is easily the best-looking game on PS3.

The gameplay could easily have been a disappointment - broadly a mix of stealth and action, with innumerable sections of waist-high cover shooting, it doesn't immediately offer anything new. Played with a shooter mindset, it doesn't. However, it's in avoiding combat when possible, incapacitating foes and only killing when absolutely, unavoidably necessary that the game stands apart. You'll pause, consider options, listen, always aware that a mis-timed charge into action will prove fatal. You're not playing a superhero, or even anyone as tough as Nathan Drake from Naughty Dog's earlier Uncharted games. You're playing a human, as fragile and vulnerable as any of us. When you are forced to fight, it's short, sharp, shocking, and the game treats violence with almost disgust.

At the heart of the game is the almost parental relationship between Joel and his charge, one brought to life through the best vocal performances yet heard in a video game. The production quality of the game is spectacular but the actors are working at another level. The score, the first Brokeback Mountain's Gustavo Santolalla has composed for games, is also superb, ratcheting up the tension and underscoring the solitude of the world through use of silence as much as bold orchestral moments. There are many cinematic influences at work throughout the game, but it avoids feeling like an interactive movie.

The Last of Us is not just the finest game that Naughty Dog has yet crafted and an easy contender for the best game of this console generation, it may also prove to be gaming's Citizen Kane moment, a masterpiece that will be looked back upon favourably for decades.

5/5

Last edited:
Review reads promising.... I'd just like some assurance that the zombie like things arent littered throughout the game and the final chapter isn't just a typical naughty dog game where everything goes crazy and you start fighting giant dogs or evil clones or some other stupid thing.

Back
Top Bottom