The PC Building Thread

midrange cards wont drop much if not all. they will just become obsolete. Even for high end cards. i have a 480gtx and it never went below £300 brand new

well i don't feel like waiting long while there are good games to be played on the PC.

i have £150 to spend now and as long as they don't come down by stupid money i wont be to fussed. what i don't want to do is buy something that wont be able to play games in 12 months time. not sure if that is possible.

i also have a 580w hiper psu and i7 920 cpu, hopefully they won't cause an issue for this PSU

i use a crucial M4 for booting windows etc so will just stick to a single drive 7200 rpm drive to install and run games off

so for £150 i should be looking at either then nvidia 560 or ati 5870?

oh and while on this subject, this is the monitor i have http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_V2..._HD_1080_LCD_Display_ET.FV3HE.003/version.asp

likey to cause me a problem with lag on games?

Last edited:
my monitor seems to have the following

2ms response

Scan Frequency - 30 to 80KHz (Horizontal) x 55 to 75Hz - no idea what that means, is that my refresh rate?

i usally game on the xbox 360, what fps does that do?

Last edited:
60fps is ideal, consoles generally play at 30fps.

If you get more than 60fps, you'll start to notice tearing on your images so you'll probably turn vsync on and cap it to 60fps anyway.

sorry dags i edited my post before your reply, in case people don't understand your reply

not sure what fps my monitor is actually but i suppose i wont see any problems with this monitor?

for a controller i am used to the xbox 360 pad, i would be using the adaptor from microsoft to play the games on the pc with this pad.

any of you guys do this or are you traditional kayboard and mouse?

not sure i can use keyboard and mouse , to used to xbox 360 pad, that would be ok for most games?

Last edited:
Your monitor should be fine, I wouldn't worry about that.

Controllers are fine for most games but some stuff you have to use KB&M, there's no way around it.

Saints Row 3 uses a controller, Skyrim plays better with a controller, BF3 is really better with KB&M though.

I bought a 5670 as my power supply was only rated at 350W - not only does it work, but it works just fine for Skyrim with decent settings.

Not mind blowing, but picked it up for under $100, so can't complain.

well i don't feel like waiting long while there are good games to be played on the PC.

i have £150 to spend now and as long as they don't come down by stupid money i wont be to fussed. what i don't want to do is buy something that wont be able to play games in 12 months time. not sure if that is possible.

i also have a 580w hiper psu and i7 920 cpu, hopefully they won't cause an issue for this PSU

i use a crucial M4 for booting windows etc so will just stick to a single drive 7200 rpm drive to install and run games off

so for £150 i should be looking at either then nvidia 560 or ati 5870?

oh and while on this subject, this is the monitor i have http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_V2..._HD_1080_LCD_Display_ET.FV3HE.003/version.asp

O and just notice your monitor has 1080p res. You dont wanna skimp on a GPU mate at that res. The higher the res, the more strain on the GPU. Get the 6870. it will do fine at that res

likey to cause me a problem with lag on games?

Why 5870? Get the 6870 as i linked to you before. its better, more greener, more powerful, newer And withing your budget

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-...am-processors-hdmi-2x-mini-displayport-2x-dvi

60fps is ideal, consoles generally play at 30fps.

If you get more than 60fps, you'll start to notice tearing on your images so you'll probably turn vsync on and cap it to 60fps anyway.

disagree. not all games have tearing. i play fifa 12 at something like 200fps and no tearing whatsoever. Just shows the fifa engine is not all that demanding.

Last edited:
What's the point in 200fps? You can't really see above 60fps and anything over that is just making your card work harder to display more frames than necessary. Seems like a waste to me?

Ah bugger, just thought of something else. Jonney will know more but I think certain cards need your PSU to have specific power connectors. Something to do with rails, volts and 6 or 8 pin connectors. I'd PM Jonney, Bitter.

Most Gpu's come with power adapter connectors like molex to pci e 6 pin adapters. if the card doesnt come with one you can easily get one for a few quid in maplin or something but 9/10 a brand new card comes with one.

What PSU does bitter have? most known branded psu's such as seasonic, corsair, enermax, silvestone, ocz will be fine . think bitter said he has a 600w psu? thats fine. i ran a i7 920 with a 260gt card and like 6 hdd's installed on a 600w seasonic psu

don't worry i looked in to this before clicking buy now

my psu is Hiper 580w and comes with 1 6 pin modular (gpu needs 2x6 pin) however it also comes with an 8 pin to 6 pin adaptor so could use this

Also as Jonney said the gpu comes with the molex to 6 pin adaptor which i could hook up if needs be as the spare 6 pin

good shout though dags, hopefully it will be ok

hehe yea. Your console will be collecting dust now lol. Now u know why i am a massive pc gamer fanboy lol.

Bitter. get fifa 12 on pc as well. if u do. i will ask the club im in if u can join us.

my xbox mates will kill me if i fully move over to the PC (my ps3 is collecting dust already only played heavy rain on it)

is 24" going to be big enough considering i play the console on a 42" top notch plasma?

Depends how close you sit. I dropped from a 32" to a 24" but sit a little closer and it's actually better for me.

Last edited:
If you read the benchmark scores you would see that the 5870 is about 10% faster than the 6870.
But not important now as he has already bought the 6870.

Which is the reason why I never upgraded my 5870 to a 6870.
http://www.overclock.net/t/864213/w-test-results-6870-vs-5870

"The 6870 was clocked lower, of course its going to have lower benchmark scores? Anyways nice little comparison."

benchmark scores does no equal to real life gaming.

And as it mentioned, it was clocked lower then the 5870.

Go here for some real world performance figures of the 6870 http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/10/21/amd_radeon_hd_6870_6850_video_card_review/7

no one cares about 3dmark canned benchmark scores anymore. its all about actually launching a game and see what framerates you get and at insane res higher then 1080p on a very demanding game(from the link i provided) you get an average of 30fps on high details

I just posted that website for now but every single benchmark I have seen the 5870 is on average 10% faster than the 6870.
If you can show anything that differs from what I have seen then.

But either way I think ATI is not the way to go and for £150 I would have gone for the 560TI.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-...hz-shader-1644mhz-384-cores-dvi-mhdmi-plusfre more then £150 and there is nothing wrong with ATI cards. and thats coming from an NVidia user who has only ever had one ATI card

The 560TI are easily found for £150-£155 mark.
But I envy you having never had an ATI card.
My last 2 have been ATI mainly due to budget and nothing wrong with the cards but the Nvidia drivers are alot nicer and easier to use.

Especially when your like me and still play older games like GP4 when you have to turn force AA in the driver menu's + I find when doing this the Nvidia cards do have better image quality.

ahh i see. the 560 Ti just came out innit? i had One ATI card, the legendary 9800 pro card. ATI cards are fine,. drivers are fine. not much issues with it mate. my mate is the complete opposit of me, gets ATI cards and he plays games without a fuss.

i get the best fastest card whether its nividia or Ati. when i got my 480gtx, it was arguably the fastest card out.

dont worry bitter, u have ordered a cracking card.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/11/21/elder_scrolls_v_skyrim_performance_iq_review/5 runs skryim ultra settings at 1080p res fine

Last edited:
There's not really a big difference between ATI and Nvidia really but I'm going with Nvidia for my next card.

Your card will be fine though, especially for casual gaming.

Back
Top Bottom