The PC Building Thread

Cheers dags, seems a no brainer then to make your own if you can have the same thing for half the price.

But surely Jonney a messed up overclock isnt covered under warranty like?

a messed up over clock will shut down your PC before your gpu explodes. I have messed up my ocerclock and only harm it done was freeze my PC and cause a bsod

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Ern Dod - Have you built your pc yet?
I have a spare 2500k which I have available it is brand new and boxed and still has 1 year RTB warrenty with Novatech with it, as was building one a while ago and didn't need it.
I also have a 100& genuine Windows 7 Home Premium key which I would also be willing to throw in if your interested.

I haven't bought anything yet as I am unsure of my financial situation. Is it the unlocked 3.3ghz one? How would windows work? I guess I would have to obtain :WHISTLE: a copy of Win 7 and the use the key. How much you looking for?

I haven't bought anything yet as I am unsure of my financial situation. Is it the unlocked 3.3ghz one? How would windows work? I guess I would have to obtain :WHISTLE: a copy of Win 7 and the use the key. How much you looking for?

Well I bought the processor last week for £170 it is the unlocked one yes the 2500k.
The Windows would work by me given you a CD and the Windows 7 code, when your asked to input it just type the code in and it will work.

I would ideally want about £160 including shipping, the CPU comes with a full 1 year warrenty and I will give you the invoice from which it was purchased.
It will save you £10 on the processor and another £70 on not having to purchase Windows.

At £150 I would have trouble saying no, the only issue would be trust. How would you want payment?

Only way would be paypal really.
Then send me your address via a pm and I will ship it out to you either special delivery or next day courier.

If you have any problems with trust you could collect the CPU if you live anywhere near Southampton, also speak to Young_gun as I have sent him something in the pass.

I need a better powersupply. Jonney any advice on a good one which aint gonna cost the earth and will be sufficient for SLI GTX580?

If you have any problems with trust you could collect the CPU if you live anywhere near Southampton, also speak to Young_gun as I have sent him something in the pass.

But how do I know that you arent Young_gun? :P OK let me check out my situation and I will let you know a bit later, shouldnt be a problem.

I need a better powersupply. Jonney any advice on a good one which aint gonna cost the earth and will be sufficient for SLI GTX580?

Just get an XFX power supply, there are normally the cheapest of the power supply and 90% of power supplies are all made by the same company and then rebranded.

So an XFX 850W will do the job for my rig right?

Asus P8Z68, Core i7 2600K Overclocked to 4.6GHZ and when I get the 2nd GTX 580 2 GTX 580's?

bsmaff what do you recommend I use? the Powersupply at the moment causes my machine to turn off when things get hectic graphically in a game like?

bsmaff what do you recommend I use? the Powersupply at the moment causes my machine to turn off when things get hectic graphically in a game like?

Well you need a 800 absolute max if you really do plan on getting another 580GTX, why you would need 2 I don't know.

Otherwise a 700 or 750 to be really safe would be best.

There are plenty of power supply calculators online best advice is to use one of them and buy one to suit your needs

Last edited:
bsmaff I am gonna think about it over the weekend.
I realised earlier that I came into this thread with the intention of spending about £150 on a grahpics card for my current pc. A few pages later and I am ready to spend £1050 on a whole new setup. I have got soo carried away with the hardware aspect that I have not thought about the gaming side. I looked at whats coming in 2012 and there was not 1 game that I could see myself buying. Originally I wanted the graphics card to play rfactor 2 and that is still the only game I think I would want to play, but I cant spend a grand to do that.

I realised earlier that I came into this thread with the intention of spending about £150 on a grahpics card for my current pc. A few pages later and I am ready to spend £1050 on a whole new setup. I have got soo carried away with the hardware aspect that I have not thought about the gaming side. I looked at whats coming in 2012 and there was not 1 game that I could see myself buying. Originally I wanted the graphics card to play rfactor 2 and that is still the only game I think I would want to play, but I cant spend a grand to do that.

You're doing the right thing. Take a step back and reassess.

As I said earlier it's easy to get carried away with the costing for any project. My budget is around £700 + OS cost so I'm going to do my best to come in on-budget. I don't think I could justify spending any more after being out of PC gaming for a few years now.

Well you have gone abit over the top it is so easy to save money.

1. Case - £70 for a case you really need a top end one?
2. You could save £20-£25 on a PSU.
3. Do you really need a CPU fan? Do you serious plan to overclock and if so how much?
4. You don't need the 448 core GTX you can just get the standard for £150.
5. Sound card IMO is pretty esseential as onboard is nasty, but is this something you need now or can wait for?
6. Why do you need a SSD? I have one and they are fantastic but your working on a budget so do you really need one? Plus a 120GB HD is going to fit nothing on if this is going to be your only drive.
7. Unfortunetly Windows is an essential.

But these are all things to think about, but the initial cost of a PC is expensive but if your wise and know whats going on the upgrade costs are minimal.
I spend around £100 - £150 a year upgrading my PC and it is always top spec, if you know when to buy and sell components owning a PC isn't really that expensive.

Speaking of cases, I'm looking to spend no more than £50 so what are my options in that price bracket? As long as it's black and fairly low key looking, with decent ventilation then that's all I'm after.

Have you decided what your going to do yet?
Otherwise I will list it on ebay.

Back
Top Bottom