Reinventing Shooting Technique ability?

Do you want Shooting Technique to return?

• Yes, it would help player individuality and would add more satisfaction to scoring.

Votes: 39 95.1%
  • No, the skills are enough for that and i like high scoring games where easy to create chances.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I dont care about shooting.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

gabe.paul.logan

Retired Footballer
7 January 2007
Budapest
Hungary
Shooting technique is absent since PES 2013. Do you think special traits like Acrobatic Finish isnt enough and reinventing the ability would improve the variety in shooting?

To the best of our knowledge, isn't explosive power some kind of cross-bastard between old agility and acceleration, that were both taken out of the game? And not really acceleration per se.

Explosive power is what agility was, that's what the PSD guys determined from in-game tests. Acceleration doesn't exist anymore, neither does dribbling speed or the long pass and short pass speeds. I don't know why they removed stats that were a key to making players feel so much more unique, that used to be PES' major selling point but it's almost non-existent at this point.

Last edited:
Acceleration doesn't exist anymore, neither does dribbling speed or the long pass and short pass speeds. I don't know why they removed stats that were a key to making players feel so much more unique, that used to be PES' major selling point but it's almost non-existent at this point.

So, basically everything that, if simulated in a proper way, directly or indirectly modifies players' running speed.

Could it be that the latest iterations of the game simply do not have enough animation variations to visually support all the in-between running tempos? Leaving us only with jerky jog-run-sprint transitions?

btw

Thomas Broad ‏@_thomasbroad 41m41 minutes ago Brent, London
@thethund3r There is both Top Speed and Acceleration - and these definitely do make a difference. This year it is very noticeable.

The Shot Technique rating was removed after 2011 (I think was the year). It is that rating that made the most difference to shooting. It's why shooting is now so generic and easy, players no longer need to be positioned properly to get good shots off. Unfortunately this is all part of the trend Konami started years ago: "fixing" the many legacy game issues by choosing to remove player ratings (and team tactic and player individuality features), instead of actually spending time fixing them. I doubt we'll ever see shooting revert back to what it was. The trend in all sports games today is to simplify and keep things as basic as possible for today's gamers who are generally much more interested in things like graphics and player faces than they are in advanced game play features.

Last edited:
BTW, I use manual shooting/passing and IMO the game plays better overall in those two areas than years ago. It's true that I can't miss-hit shots like in the past, which is bad, but I still can miss the net if I am not aimed properly. And my misses look like professional footballer misses, good strong kicks that go wide or high. This overall is probably more realistic anyway given the Shot Technique rating caused many shots to balloon WAY over the goal like they were kicked by amateurs, it was very unrealistic and very comical. Same thing with passing... players now don't have any variety in their ability to pass, they're all perfect passers which is bad. BUT because I can now play with manual passing - which wasn't possible years ago - the passing in the game requires more User skill, which is actually more fun for me and IMO is an overall improvement.

Last edited:
BTW, I use manual shooting/passing and IMO the game plays better overall in those two areas than years ago. It's true that I can't miss-hit shots like in the past, which is bad, but I still can miss the net if I am not aimed properly. And my misses look like professional footballer misses, good strong kicks that go wide or high. This overall is probably more realistic anyway given the Shot Technique rating caused many shots to balloon WAY over the goal like they were kicked by amateurs, it was very unrealistic and very comical. Same thing with passing... players now don't have any variety in their ability to pass, they're all perfect passers which is bad. BUT because I can now play with manual passing - which wasn't possible years ago - the passing in the game requires more User skill, which is actually more fun for me and IMO is an overall improvement.
I tried the game vs a friend offline with assists pass at off, and man what a difference it makes in the flow of the game in the way u need to think on the pitch before u start spamming the r1 button, u need to think before and where to pass i find it a joy to play vs a friend.especially yair s gameplay patch

I tried the game vs a friend offline with assists pass at off, and man what a difference it makes in the flow of the game in the way u need to think on the pitch before u start spamming the r1 button, u need to think before and where to pass i find it a joy to play vs a friend.especially yair s gameplay patch
It would have been great if Konami had kept all the ratings and features that made the game a true sports sim back in the day. But they opted instead for a simpler game that plays a somewhat realistic game of football, plus is fun. No doubt their best choice from a business perspective, most gamers today aren't looking for more than that.

I think they just need to remove OVERALL ratings altogether. Funny how they weren't there for a while, and then when they showed up, everything went to crap.

However, yes, shot technique needs a return.

I think they just need to remove OVERALL ratings altogether. Funny how they weren't there for a while, and then when they showed up, everything went to crap.

However, yes, shot technique needs a return.

I still don't get the point of it. Never once in any PES pre-ovr did I ever feel it was needed. The only stats I ever needed were the ones we already had that related to player positions and I what type of player I wanted there.

Again blind-copying another Fifa element that adds nothing but instead further alienates us from a more sim approach. How many more useless things are Konami planning to add from Fifa? Do they somehow think that is one of the elements why Fifa is successful? The irony is they copy the bad and leave the good.

I sincerely hope they don't lose the foundations of PES at some point in the future.

Well back in the days you picked players based on their individuality and on their abilities not by a rating. And i clearly remember that there were some players even with full yellow attributes who played like shit because...they just did :D
Overall rating is not a bad thing just a warning sign where are they heading with PES.

I sincerely hope they don't lose the foundations of PES at some point in the future.

I feel like they already lost those. Let's see it Pes 20176 confirms my feeling.

Foundations of Pes were tactical, player individuality, great variety in gameplay situations.

2 out of 3 lost in Pes 2016, only the tactical side is still good and clearly better than in Fifa.

I still don't get the point of it. Never once in any PES pre-ovr did I ever feel it was needed. The only stats I ever needed were the ones we already had that related to player positions and I what type of player I wanted there.

Again blind-copying another Fifa element that adds nothing but instead further alienates us from a more sim approach. How many more useless things are Konami planning to add from Fifa? Do they somehow think that is one of the elements why Fifa is successful? The irony is they copy the bad and leave the good.

Yes, well said, they really left a lot of the good in the old code - I'm not sure why, it's like the change to the fox engine brought in all the bad decisions. Maybe it's easier to code when using overall, but I can see how that OVR reading can take priority over anything else. This is why they included the player cards in 2013, which is really sad as even they weren't as effective.

Can you imagine a WE9LE upgrade in graphics (significantly) and add in less rigid dribbling, a little bit more intensity...that would be the perfect game for me on the pitch.

Well back in the days you picked players based on their individuality and on their abilities not by a rating. And i clearly remember that there were some players even with full yellow attributes who played like shit because...they just did :D
Overall rating is not a bad thing just a warning sign where are they heading with PES.

Agree, I think/hope they are learning this engine - and take into account on what simple tweaks are needed. The shooting technique has been badly ignored, it doesn't even feel rewarding to score a goal in PES anymore.

I feel like they already lost those. Let's see it Pes 20176 confirms my feeling.

Foundations of Pes were tactical, player individuality, great variety in gameplay situations.

2 out of 3 lost in Pes 2016, only the tactical side is still good and clearly better than in Fifa.

Yes, the tactical is better because it actually works - sometimes too good. I have given my take on the tactical side of things where I do not want it as the #1 priority. There are some small, but big, tweaks they can make to build off of PES 2016, but I've been so sick of the ways it's been going, I would welcome a brand new approach.

Yes, Shooting Technique should def come back, as well as shot accuracy. I remember vividly how Del Piero shoots, there wasn't someone like him in the game, not every player shoots the same.

i think Kicking Power is Shooting Power and Short Pass Speed and Long Pass Speed altogether, Finishing is shooting accuracy

I remember players like Totti Del Piero and Mostovoi... all shot differently.

I wish shot technique was in the game, maybe body control and or balance is the new shot/pass technique?

Back
Top Bottom