FIFA 13

why would u want a full 90min football sim..how much % of a real football game is borign as hell.

a 6min half footy game should moreso replaicte the highlghts show on MOTD with mostly end to end action, shots and excitment.

I don't think many would want a 90 minute football sim, though, there is a fair market for full length simulations of races, like with the F1 games. In any case, I don't think anyone was actually asking for a 90 minute sim.

This is where the design philosophy comes in really, and yes, the sort of long highlights is probably a fairly good point to aim for. The key is to decant all of a football match as well as you can, without having too much repetition of the dull stuff.

I'm a bit confused with this L2 and R2 new free dribbling. I hold both, move directions and it doesn't really seem to do much.

How do you do the cocky passing of the ball from right foot to left foot, and the sort of free movement that fifa street had?

Much help would be appreciated

I use L1 but it seems a bit more subdued than FIFA Street, which makes sense I suppose.

I'm a bit confused with this L2 and R2 new free dribbling. I hold both, move directions and it doesn't really seem to do much.

How do you do the cocky passing of the ball from right foot to left foot, and the sort of free movement that fifa street had?

Much help would be appreciated

personally for me holding l2+r2 is amazing...its like ball sticks to your feet..I especially love just dragging the ball bakc whislt facing oppponents goal..u can do this to hold up play and wait for run then knock forward.

TBTH holding L2+R2 for the super tight control is something im usign a lot and makes the game much easier.

Well, LB/L1 triggers the part of it which is FIFA Street inspired. LT+RT is the complete dribbling trigger which fully frees up your facing angle from your movement angle.

Isn't L2 for tight control? Not L2+R2? Or am I missing something.

I use L2 with great effect that all the time especially around tight corners or to control a receiving pass (1st touch) now that first touch error has been introduced.

R2 you mean the trigger button which in default is sprint button?
What does holding that and L2 do?

Isn't L2 for tight control? Not L2+R2? Or am I missing something.

I use L2 with great effect that all the time especially around tight corners or to control a receiving pass (1st touch) now that first touch error has been introduced.

R2 you mean the trigger button which in default is sprint button?
What does holding that and L2 do?

L2+r2 is something completely new and different..try it.

Its like you stay facing goal and roll the ball over your foot...sideways walking or backwards walking etc...rolling the ball over yor foot.

I see. Cool. Will definitely try it later tonight.

Thanks for the suggestion.

So I take it this is a new feature of FIFA13?

L2/LT: Pace Control - primarily just a tighter, slower dribble than normal

LB/L1: Precision Dribbling - extremely tight dribbling, near enough on the spot. Two different functions, one added in 12, the other in 13. The first allows you to make tight turns while barely moving the ball. The second allows you to face up and make quick sidesteps and dragbacks.

LT + RT/L2 + R2: Complete Dribbling

This is one of FIFA 13's major new features. Complete Dribbling allows the facing angle and movement angle to be separated. This will happen contextually to a degree, but, to get the full effect you can use the triggers. This allows you to, for example, run down the wing while facing a defender who is alongside you.

There was actually a dribbling function on L2+R2 since FIFA 10, called Skilled Dribbling, which allowed you to move at a right angle to your facing angle, but that's been replaced by this more general feature.

Last edited:
I never use precision dribbling, it just feels weird, almost too slow.

Didn't know about complete dribbling though, I'll give that a go later. The only problem for me is that I switch sprint to RT (from my PES days I think) so it'll be LT & RB, a little less straightforward.

This would be a great time for one of those "thanks" buttons that this forum could do with :)

It's very nice to use quickly for sidestepping an incoming opponent. Kind of like a quick movement of the ball from one foot to the other but still facing the player.

Didn't know about complete dribbling though, I'll give that a go later. The only problem for me is that I switch sprint to RT (from my PES days I think) so it'll be LT & RB, a little less straightforward.

This would be a great time for one of those "thanks" buttons that this forum could do with :)

Same here I use alternative and swap RB and RT. But I am getting used to swapping my fingers quickly :))

Also I must say I really appreciate how the "Super Cancel" is contextual so you can use it to prevent the opponent to get to it much more realistic. That said, you are hardly every on annoying rails locked to the ball, but I use it a lot when I'm in a chase for the ball to cut in easier to the opponents path.

Also I must say I really appreciate how the "Super Cancel" is contextual so you can use it to prevent the opponent to get to it much more realistic. That said, you are hardly every on annoying rails locked to the ball, but I use it a lot when I'm in a chase for the ball to cut in easier to the opponents path.

fifa fanboy! :RANT:

I don't think it is meant to be used to travel. I think it is used to face a different direction very quickly (i.e. swivel without travelling), or drag the ball away from a possible tackle.

Sprint is RT by default.

I don't think it is meant to be used to travel. I think it is used to face a different direction very quickly (i.e. swivel without travelling), or drag the ball away from a possible tackle.

Sprint is RT by default.

He meant RB since it says that a couple of words later.

Great reviews from both ign and eurogamer. Both are saying that fifa13 is the best football game ever!!!!

I also have season ticket! Cant wait for Saturday!!!!!

The same mag gave PES 2013 8.5/10. Which means we have 2 great games at hand.

But dunno which one I will play as both are lacking :/.

Trying to go to FUT online (PC) and it is asking me to go to my console to set up a security question, where do I do this? (I have been into the app on the xbox and can't see anything about a security question?)

Do I have to load up Fifa 12 to do this?

Dags and Bobby, I'm the same. I always switch sprint from RT to RB since that's what I'm used to since PES days.

There are a couple other changes I make to default controls as well.

L2/LT: Pace Control - primarily just a tighter, slower dribble than normal

LB/L1: Precision Dribbling - extremely tight dribbling, near enough on the spot. Two different functions, one added in 12, the other in 13. The first allows you to make tight turns while barely moving the ball. The second allows you to face up and make quick sidesteps and dragbacks.

LT + RT/L2 + R2: Complete Dribbling

This is one of FIFA 13's major new features. Complete Dribbling allows the facing angle and movement angle to be separated. This will happen contextually to a degree, but, to get the full effect you can use the triggers. This allows you to, for example, run down the wing while facing a defender who is alongside you.

There was actually a dribbling function on L2+R2 since FIFA 10, called Skilled Dribbling, which allowed you to move at a right angle to your facing angle, but that's been replaced by this more general feature.

Thanks for the explanation. Trying to understand all this since I actually change some of the buttons around from default.

Just confused about L1 and L2. I know what LT and LB are but what's L1 and L2? Left-stick?

I see. Cool. Will definitely try it later tonight.

Thanks for the suggestion.

So I take it this is a new feature of FIFA13?

As Rodelero's pointed out, it's not exactly new. LT+RT can also be used as another variant of the quick-stop and turn, effective when you're running down the wing and want to quickly wrongfoot an opponent that's running in parallel with you. Stop and sidestep with LT+RT followed immediately with a knock-on using the right-stick; a neat way to evade clumsy defender

Awesome. Thank you both.

So just to be clear when you guys say LT + RT, you mean the combination of holding BOTH the Pace Control button AND The Sprint button at the same time. Correct?

The little things in this are just so good.

Wilshere went up for the ball he came back down the ball was free, he was falling backwards with an off balance motion and managed to flick the ball towards him with an outstretched leg and went past two players.

It really looked like the two players were not expecting him to get a foot onto the ball and caught them off guard, it looked really good....but I forgot to save it :((

Awesome. Thank you both.

So just to be clear when you guys say LT + RT, you mean the combination of holding BOTH the Pace Control button AND The Sprint button at the same time. Correct?

Yeah that's right.

Another use for LT+RT modifier is when you're trapping the ball. Some of the new animations added for Complete Dribbling allows for quick, fluid turns... better ball control is always useful given the random, almost unpredictable nature of the First Touch feature included this year.

Trying to go to FUT online (PC) and it is asking me to go to my console to set up a security question, where do I do this? (I have been into the app on the xbox and can't see anything about a security question?)

Do I have to load up Fifa 12 to do this?

Anybody know?

There are some games which could be accurately defined as simulations, like the top end racing sims and flight sims. FIFA can never reach that level of simulation because, while flying a plane or racing a car is a realistic concept, having a vague control over the minds of a football team is not.

Where you could fairly accurately define and judge two racing simulators against eachother, you can't with football games because certain questions aren't really answerable. You can't, for instance, give an objective answer to how much control we should have over events and how much control play stats should. Nor can you give a good answer to how FIFA should scale itself down to 6 minute halves.

With some areas though, I think you can be completely objective in judgement. FIFA's motion physics simply aren't realistic, or even close. For me, a simulation would have a reasonable simulation of each area of the sport, and a consistent philosophy on how the subjective design questions are answered.

In my mind, that is a definition with some level of objectivity, and that's what I hold any sports game to. In the case of these reviewers stating that FIFA is a simulation, we have no idea what they mean, and I sincerely doubt they do either. For that reason, while yes, perhaps I can't say he's wrong because our definitions differ, he shouldn't actually write in the first place.

I know that both of us agree that FIFA is still a long ways away from being the quality of simulation that we'd like - especially in the areas of movement physics and tactical depth - but I think you might want to broaden your idea of what "simulation" means, which simply means to imitate, and does not necessarily imply a perfect imitation.

So the reviewer is perfectly within his rights to argue that FIFA is "a brilliant simulation," because even though FIFA is by no means a perfect representation of the sport, it is pretty darn good overall when placed within the context of what's come before it, and what else is available, and it's likely the best we've ever had.

I think in this case you might be applying your own personal definition of what a simulation should be to what the actual definition is.

I do agree that it was interesting how the reviewer mentioned FIFA's superficiality, considering that never gets mentioned in the general media, and I hope the guys at EA read and take that part to heart.

Last edited:
Has taken my a while to get to grips with the demo, though I did go in head first playing on manual and World Class or Legendary, but I think I've finally managed it. God knows how people can judge either game so quickly, too many little things to learn in both PES and FIFA.

Found it frustrating at first and was conceding a lot of silly goals (The CPU is deadly accurate), but once I'd learned how to defend I was able to build upon that and play some nice football. Can't think of a better way of describing it, but it still feels a little bit loose to me, I find the movements are overly sharp, but I guess that goes back to the inertia argument.

My favourite parts of the game are the various random moments that appear in the game, I haven't really been reading this thread so I don't know if people have had other experiences, but I've found the impact engine to be fantastic this time around and haven't noticed a single glitch yet. It provides chaotic situations that I don't experience so much in PES so much these days, very enjoyable.

Overall, I'll be happy to play either game this year.

Back
Top Bottom