The "Not happy with PES 2012" thread

Which PES 2012 version do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you hate all the scripting then why play on the highest difficulty? From what I have read the difference between level 4 & 5/6 is the scripting, is this right?
I did not see much change in the CPU build up with the patch, it was still playing from the back to front very quickly with few passes and loved the lofted through ball.
The midfield did not drop as deep but it did little to prevent me advancing because the organisation was terrible.
All the points you make about what makes superstar soo bad I wouldnt know about because I play on professional where, in just over half a ML season I am yet to encounter any and the CPU scores with more variey than what you describe.
Also I never said the game was easy just easier. This was due to the poor organisation, my keeper being amazing and the shooting being easier. I will try the patch with higher difficulties and see if its any better.

Edit: I have tried Superstar with the patch. The only things I can see that are different are that the CPU is much more lethal infront of goal and I seen one of those scripted moments you describe from 1.03. My CB ran away from its marker leaving it with a free header.
I can see that the build up is better with the patch, its not miles better but I would like it to be this way in 1.03.
The reason why, despite the the midfield not playing as deep and it still being easy to progress up the pitch, seems to be because there is less pressure on the ball. Its strange though because once they do start to pressure it pulls the shape completely apart. At one point the 2 CFs were stood on the halfway line and the remaining 8 outfield players were in an area about the size of the halfway circle.
The passing seemed better this time round but the switching was still not as good as 1.03.

I will stick to 1.03 and 4 star difficulty. The only thing I would take from the patch is the build up.

Edit 2: I just went back to 1.03 and found that the CPUs shape broke down the same as with the patch. The difference was that instead of being out of shape and infront of the box, they were out of shape and in it.

I see people say that without the patches the game is total crap and with it its the best football game ever. I dont think the changes are that big or effective. Having the midfield stay a bit higher up the pitch and pressure less does little(or nothing) to change the way its plays. The build up is better but its not such a huge improvement over 1.03 that I will miss it. I like the ball in 1.03 better. The keepers are fine in 1.03, I found my ML keeper to be too good for his level with the patch.
If the patch disables the scripts then I can see why people who play on higher difficulties would use it. But even without the scripts I would find 6 stars to be unrealistic due to the passing and finishing I seen at this level(from Leeds).

Last edited:
Like I say, if you can master that, then good luck to you!

I think this, for me, is the fundamental problem with PES 2012 this year. Of course, I have a long list of relatively minor issues (why is cursor-switching still buggy this year, no mid-field play, etc etc...) but the most essential issue is touched on by ccshopland. There is never going to be a sense at which I feel that I have "mastered" Superstar level. Of course, you might ask "why play Superstar"? Well, I want to play Superstar because there is a Superstar level. If they put it in the game, then I want to play it. But also, Professional is just too easy. And more importantly, the CPU plays reasonable football on Superstar instead of that same bloody counter-attack/long ball to the Target Man. So I play Superstar, but of course, it is unmasterable. Not because I will never get good enough, or my team won't ever get good enough on Master League, but because of what everyone calls scripting or cheating.

Personally, I don't think there is cheating or scripting per se. What I see is that the human-controlled team does not play defense in quite the same way as the CPU controlled team. There is a decent (long, tedious, but good) video on this forum or somewhere on youtube that shows quite clearly the difference in defence between the two sides. It's easy to see also if you edit the tactics and formation of one team and play that team against itself in Exhibition. Set your cursor switch to unassisted and just control your CF and watch your team play defense. It's just not the same. Our defenders don't take inside positions regularly, SBs drift down to kill the offside trap, and no matter what level you put Pressure your team won't hunt with the same ferocity as the CPU.

Superstar cannot be mastered. You can win it all, but you will never have that glowing feeling after 10 years of 2011 ML when you have finally won the treble. If you do win the treble on 2012, it will be after years of teeth-gnashing and hair-pulling.

Think of all the other PS3 titles, like Uncharted. I always play through at regular, then hard, then crushing, and it gets better and better. I keep feeling like I'm mastering the game. And then, next year, there will be a new Uncharted. But not with PES 2012.

The other day when I went up 3-0 at home against Utrecht and it was half-time, I said out loud: "hey, I might actually get a draw out of this." Sad to say, so true...

Last edited:
Our defenders don't take inside positions regularly, SBs drift down to kill the offside trap, and no matter what level you put Pressure your team won't hunt with the same ferocity as the CPU.

Out of curiosity, do you or anyone here set the Offside option to on?

Also, has anyone tried marking a player? I found it to work well to my surprise.

Out of curiosity, do you or anyone here set the Offside option to on?

Also, has anyone tried marking a player? I found it to work well to my surprise.

On all teams except those that play with high player distance (sort of long ball) I do play with the offside trap. I do mark one or two players, although there is so much overlapping and, at times, ridiculous running around, marking seems largely ineffective. I mean I've got my SB marking a WF, but my SB has decided to overlap until he is almost crossing the other team's offside trap. I look over to that wing and I wonder what in the name of the sweet lord he's doing!

Last edited:
I like to use man marking, especially if I have a defensive minded midfielder who can drop back and mark their play maker. I often mark CF's but it can be dangerous against CF's with good movement and teams who use position switch, your team can get dragged about all over the place.

I think this, for me, is the fundamental problem with PES 2012 this year. Of course, I have a long list of relatively minor issues (why is cursor-switching still buggy this year, no mid-field play, etc etc...) but the most essential issue is touched on by ccshopland. There is never going to be a sense at which I feel that I have "mastered" Superstar level. Of course, you might ask "why play Superstar"? Well, I want to play Superstar because there is a Superstar level. If they put it in the game, then I want to play it. But also, Professional is just too easy. And more importantly, the CPU plays reasonable football on Superstar instead of that same bloody counter-attack/long ball to the Target Man. So I play Superstar, but of course, it is unmasterable. Not because I will never get good enough, or my team won't ever get good enough on Master League, but because of what everyone calls scripting or cheating.

Personally, I don't think there is cheating or scripting per se. What I see is that the human-controlled team does not play defense in quite the same way as the CPU controlled team. There is a decent (long, tedious, but good) video on this forum or somewhere on youtube that shows quite clearly the difference in defence between the two sides. It's easy to see also if you edit the tactics and formation of one team and play that team against itself in Exhibition. Set your cursor switch to unassisted and just control your CF and watch your team play defense. It's just not the same. Our defenders don't take inside positions regularly, SBs drift down to kill the offside trap, and no matter what level you put Pressure your team won't hunt with the same ferocity as the CPU.

Superstar cannot be mastered. You can win it all, but you will never have that glowing feeling after 10 years of 2011 ML when you have finally won the treble. If you do win the treble on 2012, it will be after years of teeth-gnashing and hair-pulling.

Think of all the other PS3 titles, like Uncharted. I always play through at regular, then hard, then crushing, and it gets better and better. I keep feeling like I'm mastering the game. And then, next year, there will be a new Uncharted. But not with PES 2012.

The other day when I went up 3-0 at home against Utrecht and it was half-time, I said out loud: "hey, I might actually get a draw out of this." Sad to say, so true...

Absolutely superb post. Totally nailed the completely unfair nature of playing against the AI in PES 2012.

Sure we can win it all, but at what cost to our sanity?

There is simply no fun in playing against a "cheating" AI. No game should ever bend the fundamental rules in it's own favour to increase the level of difficulty. It's ridiculous.

Since taking on radha's defensive advice and improving other areas of my game superstar has become the most rewarding and challenging ML experience since pes5 the games can feel so organic, some immense battles against the AI both tactically and gameplay wise. I do agree that some of the scripting can cause unhealthy levels of pes rage, refs love to fuck you over on SS and deflections can sometimes act like incisive passes for the AI on an alarming ratio.

Demo 2 is such a great football game. Been exclusevly playing it vs human and cpu. Can´t play retail version unassisted (demo 2 is unassisted heaven), and CAN´T STAND THE HANDICAP NO MORE,in any competition mode. It is too much,and to beat it one has to stop playing football and play the game. That kills the fun and immersion.It kills PES magic. Demo 2 is, funnily enough, my choice these days.

Demo 2 is such a great football game. Been exclusevly playing it vs human and cpu. Can´t play retail version unassisted (demo 2 is unassisted heaven), and CAN´T STAND THE HANDICAP NO MORE,in any competition mode. It is too much,and to beat it one has to stop playing football and play the game. That kills the fun and immersion.It kills PES magic. Demo 2 is, funnily enough, my choice these days.

Defo the best version by far.

Yep, Flaw3d, of course it is, but why is that so obvious to Us, and not to Seabass, Konami or even the Murphy guy?!! Where did it went wrong? Who knows the truth? Can anyone say? Is there a conspiracy?(;))Is a EA guy messing with the retail code at some point?!!! It is ludicrous that the past two games had very good demos and borked retail versions. I speak of fluidity, reaction times, input lag, general AI, tactical control, animations, gamespeed, general team movement, and so on and so forth. Everything, but i mean EVERYTHING is better in the demos. WHY IS THAT? Me and my mate, been playing custom cups and leagues since 96 on PES, and we joke about all this "cunundrum".It has to be a conspiracy, for it is stupid and nonsensical...

Just had a quick recap of demo 2 to remind myself how good it was. The answer...very good. The ball actually feels like a ball and dribbling looks realistic and feels like dribbling should.

I might uninstall everything again and start from 1.00 on the PS3 and see which is the best version or at least more satisfying version that I can play for any sustained period of time.

Yep, Flaw3d, of course it is, but why is that so obvious to Us, and not to Seabass, Konami or even the Murphy guy?!! Where did it went wrong? Who knows the truth? Can anyone say? Is there a conspiracy?(;))Is a EA guy messing with the retail code at some point?!!! It is ludicrous that the past two games had very good demos and borked retail versions. I speak of fluidity, reaction times, input lag, general AI, tactical control, animations, gamespeed, general team movement, and so on and so forth. Everything, but i mean EVERYTHING is better in the demos. WHY IS THAT? Me and my mate, been playing custom cups and leagues since 96 on PES, and we joke about all this "cunundrum".It has to be a conspiracy, for it is stupid and nonsensical...

Yep everything is better especially shooting and AI, I really dont think there is anything in the final game that is a step up from the demo which is really odd however it has been said the development stages of how the Japanese work and how Western devs work is completely different which i guess explains to some extent why the demo's of PES are ALWAYS better than the full game as if you look at Fifa 12 for example the full game is far superior to the demo.

Have you noticed in the final game the ball ALWAYS goes through the players foot when dribbling? This very rarely happens in Demo 2. So annoying.

Yes Demo 2 does have the overall pace better even on -2. But tbh, it still lacks 2 things I had experienced when played the preview code:

1- Clearing the ball anywhere I want it to go. In retail, this doesn't happen. I cannot clear a cross for example anywhere I want it to go. It always goes to the centre.

2- Shooting had more variations too. I remember hitting many shots that bounced right before the keeper, of course depending on composure, preferred foot, ball position etc. It does happen in retail but not as often. Also top spin shots were in, which I've never seen happen in retail yet.

Tried retail again, and what puts me off is the effort the cpu makes to stop you from having fun. I just stands there ,soaks pressure and pumps balls through the middle for the lone messi clone upfront, rinse and repeat mode.Truly unenjoyable gameplay. Demo 2 had me foaming with the prospects...Fucking stab in the back, Nokami fellows...

Also top spin shots were in, which I've never seen happen in retail yet.

Same with the MLO beta of PES2011. I scored a stunning topspin volley the likes of which I'd never seen before in PES, and not seen again since.

I wish they'd stop messing about with the game. There is a cracking football game in there somewhere, if only Konami would listen to us and stop tinkering.

I've gone back to 1.00 on the PS3, and just had a few games with it to get me back in the mood so to speak. I'm going right back to basics and going to play the game like I did, like I played the demos. Don't know why but with gamespeed -1 on 10 mins, it seems like a longer game than what I have been playing recently on 15 minutes, strange. I'm also using pitchside cam too. Zero assists, Top Player, until I uncover the Superstar option.

Warts an' all (especially keepers) this is the game that I am going to play until it kills me, this is what was shipped out of the box, no more fannying about with this and that, I'm persevering with this if it kills me. The keepers may be 'fixed' in the later versions but there is just s much cheating and scripting there, so it hardly makes a difference, I may as well as have the passing and shooting near enough perfect and put up with the dodgy keepers.

One thing that strikes me about this version going back to it, is that the teams I have played in exhibition are all playing some football. Just played Atletico and it was a good game one all. There also seemed to be more physical aerial battles with the ball bouncing here and there in midfield. I am bound to be let down by a glaring keeper fk up soon rather than later, but I am going to stand by it lol.

EDIT ; Also is it me or is the much more intelligent AI from your own team on version 1.00?

Last edited:
I've gone back to 1.00 on the PS3, and just had a few games with it to get me back in the mood so to speak. EDIT ; Also is it me or is the much more intelligent AI from your own team on version 1.00?

Good Luck, keepers were so abysmal on 1.00 that even backpasses went in reguarly.

Yep, active Ai is completely dumbed down with each release, demos were superb, arced runs, checked runs, lots of options.
v1.03 - clumsy, with players running into eachother.

Much better teamate ai, for sure. Like i said, the cpu is like killjoy the further you move through retail versions and updates. It is too obviously messed up...

The default game is terrible. Get it on pc and get yairs latest 2.8 patch and the game is tons better. Fixed shooting bug and defending much better.

The default game is terrible. Get it on pc and get yairs latest 2.8 patch and the game is tons better. Fixed shooting bug and defending much better.

Couldn't disagree more. 1.03 is a great game. I mod my game for graphics mods etc but gameplay i find default to be the outright winner.

Amazing posts lads, i just came in to read about things that happen that piss me off a lot, and most of them are covered here.

I only play against human vs human, but its gotten to the point of ridiculous now as he gets almost 3 goals every match with the scripted header when the defender leaves the CF alone just for the right second. Its unplayable really. I even tried playing 4 CBs or marking the CF but it looks like its made to create the chance to score. Very poor thing.

Also, the R2 thing its just annoying. The stepover reall screws the dribbling use, and using it also for passing seems crazy complicated as to which the button is located... I dont know, not happy at all with this edition of the game. The errors make it really hard to have fun with.

the new PES2013 logo leaked!

2013.jpg

Whoa there, hang on – by 'fixed shooting bug' are you saying that the latest yairs patch corrects the central/wrong-side shooting?

Could you (or anyone please!) confirm this, before I start getting elbow-deep in my gaming laptop, updates, patches, tweaks, etc.?

PES2012 without the 'shooting bug' would be a whole different prospect for me. I've got the PC version but not bothered with it, no matter how good the patches, on account of the shooting. If yairs latest patch fixes THAT... well, let's just say I might not come up for air until October.

Whoa there, hang on – by 'fixed shooting bug' are you saying that the latest yairs patch corrects the central/wrong-side shooting?

Could you (or anyone please!) confirm this, before I start getting elbow-deep in my gaming laptop, updates, patches, tweaks, etc.?

PES2012 without the 'shooting bug' would be a whole different prospect for me. I've got the PC version but not bothered with it, no matter how good the patches, on account of the shooting. If yairs latest patch fixes THAT... well, let's just say I might not come up for air until October.

Yes mate, most of the newer patches have the shooting down now.

The only thing that seems unconquerable is the CPU scripting in Master League and trying to get the CPU to play like a human being instead of having 10 Maradona's on crack.

Back
Top Bottom