iOS Gaming

Re: iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad Gaming

Hard to tell as there is so much out there, but defo pick up;

Words with Friends (free version available)
Depict
Tilt To Live
iFooty (good for live football results + text commentary)
Sky News / BBC News
Air Video
Sky+

Hopefully some of these will be new to you.

Just looked at AirVideo on the App store. All my vids are mp4. Tell me more about how this works please PB.

I take it I have to install something on my PC? Is the streaming actually any good?

It converts any videos on the fly from your PC so you have to install a server on the PC

I didn't even know this existed tbh, im gonna give it a go now

It does sound very good if it runs smooth, it means you can save loads of space on your phone if you do watch videos or films on it but i guess you need a unlimited data plan to stream 700megs worth a time

It converts any videos on the fly from your PC so you have to install a server on the PC

I didn't even know this existed tbh, im gonna give it a go now

It does sound very good if it runs smooth, its means you can save loads of space on your phone if you do watch videos or films on it but i guess you need a unlimited data plan to stream 700megs worth a time

I just worked it all out. Thanks so much PB for mentioning this one!

I downloaded the trial, checked 2 films and downloaded full version within minutes. Streams brilliantly. Checked against films I have on the iPod already. Looks exactly the same. Lip syncing was spot on too.

Was worried for a sec as the full version had an error but I added the Pin code and voila!

Will try streaming from work tomorrow but for viewing around the house, well impressed!!

But if you're in the house, wouldn't you be better watching on a laptop rather than a 3" screen?

OK that didn't take long to sort out

This app is brilliant, it will play anything and it is as smooth as it would be on a PC

I just tried a 720p MKV and even that worked flawlessly as well :)

Oh all i need now is a way to hook the iPhone to a TV for when im at peoples house and we want to watch a film :)

Watching MMA whenever you want, awesome

Just added servers for all 5 user logins. So if I'm at lunch and in work and somebody else is logged in, I just try each one until it works.

Oh all i need now is a way to hook the iPhone to a TV for when im at peoples house and we want to watch a film :)
There's an HD or non HD cable available for apple that is perfect.

Just catching up with this. Yea, air video is amazing, vie not tried it over 3G yet, but its supposed to be very good.

I've got the HD version for the iPad. Not really HD, but better quality than scaling up the iPhone app.

Gladd y'all like it :)

It's not working from my works. Server unavailable. I turned my PC before I left work too and made sure the server thingy was running :(

EDIT:- Could be works security or port forwarding?

It's not working from my works. Server unavailable. I turned my PC before I left work too and made sure the server thingy was running :(

EDIT:- Could be works security or port forwarding?

Could be that (have you tried over 3G rather than the works WiFi?)

Also, could the PC at home gone into sleep mode?

Could be that (have you tried over 3G rather than the works WiFi?)

Also, could the PC at home gone into sleep mode?

I'm ipod touch only atm. IP4 very soon though.

I doubt it's in sleep mode tbh. It must be a works wifi thing. I'll dive in my old dears on the way home and see if it works from her wifi.

On my iPad, the quality of the picture in air video is fairly bad over wi-fi.

when I'm out of the house, say at the airport or something, and I want to watch a movie on my media center via 3G and I have perfect signal strength, the picture quality s even worse and borders on the unwatchable...

Most movies are divx rips, with the odd blu-Ray rip. All settings in air video are maxed out, but still it's unwatchable.

Can any iPad user compare their picture quality over wi-fi and 3G, to, say that of VHS? Mine is worse than a dodgy copy of a copy of a copy of Rambo 2 on VHS!

Btw, Do-Don Pachi is COMING, but sadly for iPhone only...

I had to mess about with my router to get Air Video working through 3G because of the errors i was getting when trying to connect

The stuff suggested on the site didn't work so i tried turning off "Use Router as DHCP Server" in the LAN options and it works fine now

Its a bit of a pain having to use logmein to change this when i do want to watch a video but i don't think it will be used often enough to worry about

I can't get this working from work or from my old dears.
In my house, it's fine and the picture is brilliant.

I've set enable internet use, got the key and added server on iPod. Not sure what else to do. I can't mess about with any routers as mine is a works one (but as mentioned works from home) and obviously the other places I've tried connect from, the routers aren't mine.

Any thoughts? Would like to be able to use elsewhere at times and when I get my iPhone, I want it to work for that too. I wouldn't do it too often due to the data usage though.

There are loads of things on there forums about it and most can't sort it out

I was lucky because i just tried one random thing and it worked

You will NEED to get access to those routers... You need to forward a port to air video so it can listen out for your Internet connection back into it...

Edit to add: if your router supports Upnp, just enable that and it will forward the ports automatically...

Mine is working now strangely

When it wasn't working i enabled upnp and it still didn't work and i got a double NAT error

But like i say for some reason its working fine now

Anyone used redsnow and know if it's okay to use? I'm reading it works on 4.0 / 4.0.1 so tempted to try.

[Update]
Tried, done, works.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom