Max Payne 3

aitken

International
29 July 2007
Glasgow
Manchester United/Knicks
Rockstar's Vancouver studio takes over from Remedy for third outing of ex-NYPD vigilante.

For fans of Max Payne, it has been a long wait since 2003 when the last game in the franchise was released to critical acclaim. Talk of a sequel came in 2004, when Take-Two hinted that a follow-up would eventually arrive. Fast-forward to 2008, and Take-Two chairman Strauss Zelnick once again mentioned the franchise, teasing that another installment may be in the works but again providing no firm details.

Today, Take-Two and its Rockstar Games subsidiary have announced that Max Payne 3 is indeed in development and is penned for a winter 2009 release on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC. The game is being developed by Rockstar Vancouver, the same outfit behind the controversial sandbox action adventure Bully. Finnish outfit Remedy, which developed the first two Max Payne titles, is currently developing Alan Wake, which will be published by Microsoft.

Rockstar Vancouver will apparently not be straying far from Remedy's original formula, however, as Max Payne 3 again sees the titular retired NYPD veteran battling internal demons as well as those that plague the city's streets.

"We're starting a new chapter of Max's life with this game," commented Rockstar cofounder Sam Houser in a statement. "This is Max as we've never seen him before, a few years older, more world-weary and cynical than ever. We experience the downward spiral of his life after the events of Max Payne 2 and witness his last chance for salvation."

Rockstar did not delve into specific gameplay details, and did not mention the series' genre-defining "bullet time" slow-motion technique. The publisher merely noted that "the latest installment delivers more of the classic elements and hyperintense action that fans have come to love."

When Max Payne 3 rolls around this winter, it may find itself on shakier legs than when it left off six years ago. In October, the franchise saw its first transition to the silver screen. And while the Mark Wahlberg-led action flick pulled in healthy opening-week revenues, critics were all too eager to redub the film "Maximum Payneful" (an actual quote).

I guess Take2 owned the IP and took it off Remedy permanently? Shame, the first two on PC were ground breaking games, as good as PC TPS have ever been.

At least Remedy are still working on Alan Wake :)

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/rockstar-fires-off-barrage-of-new-max-payne-3-screenshots/
ROCKSTAR FIRES OFF BARRAGE OF NEW MAX PAYNE 3 SCREENSHOTS:
Max-Payne-3-002.jpg

Max-Payne-3-003.jpg

Max-Payne-3-004.jpg

Max-Payne-3-005.jpg

Max-Payne-3-006.jpg

Max-Payne-3-007.jpg

Max-Payne-3-009.jpg

Max-Payne-3-008.jpg

Yeah, at first sight it looks marvelous, but as Placebo mentioned, a 6-7 hour campaign could be a potential deal-breaker. The other problem that might occur is the possible repetitiveness of the gameplay - kill-the-bad-guys-esque. Hopefully all the animations, locations, AI, etc. will make up for a worthy and long-lasting experience.

Don't get how people can complain about a 6-7 hour campaign either

You pay £35-40 for a game and get 6-7 hours when a Bluray film costs £10-15 and you get 1 1/2-2 hours with no interaction in it

It gets even harder to believe that they're gonna make a longer lasting game when you look at the past 2 titles of the Max Payne series,
which both seemed to be between about 7-10 hours each, depending on how you play.

Oh I miss the times when games used to be 20-30 hours long...

Over the space of 6 hours, evening would turn into night :P

But if you guys are finishing a game in one night, can't you go back and trade it in the next day. In theory, you're not paying full price, but maybe half price, given the trade in value.

Personally, outside of a football game, I can't play other games for more than a couple of hours at a time. A 6 hour single player campaign would take me longer and then there's the fact that I won't pass every mission first go.

Having said that, I do like games that have more depth and can go a fair few hours in single player. Even if there's a story mode of 6-7 hours but then more side missions to last a few more hours/achievements.

I have a few games to finish first but this one sounds like it's worth playing at some point.

It took me approximately 5 hours to reached the half of the game on hard.
Most of the time is me dying and trying to survive longer the next time but it's part of the game.
A great game so far, the story is captivating.

Back
Top Bottom