FIFA 13

I'm still of the opinion the game plays how you want it too. I could slow the game down and make it feel more realistic when i played it. However in clubs and head to head if they wanna ping pong etc... Its all still there by the looks of it....

The big worry for me is this footage isnt from the demo, it's later code. Its close to the full game... If not actual final code.

I remember last year playing and early version that was better than the game they released.

Sliders are just not a good enough excuse anymore because they are not there online.

To be honest I didnt expect anything else. Fifa will always have this out of the box arcady feel to appeal to the pick-up-and-play crowd, and we all know that this crowd is vastly larger than the hardcore football gamers that want a simulator. The best we can hope for is good filtering options to play like minded online

God bless you aitk3n! Now we gotta flood this guy with requests to show more CM mode stuff.

I hope there are some changes and improvements to scouting/youth players and stuff and not just transfers.

It was a bit alarming how he managed to get City to sell him Joe Hart tho! That wouldn't happen in real life!

WOW, FIFA looks quite terrible in those clips, seems the game hasn't changed much at all and if anything regressed.

I'll see what the Demo serves up but not encouraging.

To be honest I didnt expect anything else. Fifa will always have this out of the box arcady feel to appeal to the pick-up-and-play crowd, and we all know that this crowd is vastly larger than the hardcore football gamers that want a simulator. The best we can hope for is good filtering options to play like minded online

yep which is why it sells so well. I actually dont mind you can play it as an arcade football game if you want to as again it will generate more sales which leads to investment in the franchise. Providing they keep manual and sliders I am more than happy as I know I can cater it to what I enjoy. I'm not sure what all the negativity is about every year the videos are the same.

Also I don't get this its not a sim attitude, there are no football games out there that accurately simulate football if indeed at all it is possible at all. If it was possible and a complete sim was made Id expect the sales to be shocking. What I want is a good representation of football that grabs you in and has all the atmosphere of a football match with some realism. I have that with FIFA and it also looks the part

yep which is why it sells so well. I actually dont mind you can play it as an arcade football game if you want to as again it will generate more sales which leads to investment in the franchise. Providing they keep manual and sliders I am more than happy as I know I can cater it to what I enjoy. I'm not sure what all the negativity is about every year the videos are the same.

Also I don't get this its not a sim attitude, there are no football games out there that accurately simulate football if indeed at all it is possible at all. If it was possible and a complete sim was made Id expect the sales to be shocking. What I want is a good representation of football that grabs you in and has all the atmosphere of a football match with some realism. I have that with FIFA and it also looks the part

I think i agree with most of what you say, the bit that gets me is that EA have the physics model there to make it so at lets you feel you are controlling a human, but choose not to. Some of the stuff they do to make things easier (like defending) defy the laws of physics

As an example Placebo's recently posted video of him beating a player without skill moves has the defender beaten, on the floor and up again right next to the forward in super human time.

No need to put these in. Don't dumb the game down for the sake of unrealistic actions. The guy dived in.... Tough... learn to defend properly.

They are still making large parts of the game for the lowest common denominator. I just think that assisted passing and shooting is enough, without laser guided tackles, forced pressure super human recovery on bad timing etc.

I remember when fifa 12 first came out people were selecting the GK so they could let the CPU defend for them. Anyone ever play against someone doing that? Its really hard to score. The defensive AI does Waayyy too much....

Play a human Vs human game, and put the second pad down. Now try score.. Not easy...Not as much as it should be considering no one it actually playing :-)

It has caused my new pet hate of head to head, the person with the most defenders wins... NOT the person who's best at defending.

Last edited:
You cant judge a game from videos, every year its the same people getting annoyed.

Wait till demo friends then we know...

I think saying "the defensive AI does way too much" would be a dangerous piece of feedback.

One of the things I like least about the game is how AI defenders who are not nearest to the ball do not sufficiently anticipate or respond with urgency to danger that is about to develop. This goes for covering as well as pressing. In that sense the defensive AI does way too little, is way too passive.

Perhaps that is why the person with the most defenders wins... because they compensate by simply clogging it up with extra bodies. Whereas the person who does his best to defend normally is let down by the passive nature of the defenders not under his direct control.

Regarding selecting the GK... I guess that just means that the CPU defender nearest the ball has CPU-speed reactions, rather than human reactions, and is therefore less easy to escape?

Last edited:
Agree with Benni allthough those videos do kinda take my excitement levels for them games down a couple of notches. It would be nice to see a couple of players playing this on a video who ACTUALLY know how to play something called FOOTBALL!

I think saying "the defensive AI does way too much" would be a dangerous piece of feedback.

One of the things I like least about the game is how AI defenders who are not nearest to the ball do not sufficiently anticipate or respond with urgency to danger that is about to develop. This goes for covering as well as pressing. In that sense the defensive AI does way too little, is way too passive.

Perhaps that is why the person with the most defenders wins... because they compensate by simply clogging it up with extra bodies. Whereas the person who does his best to defend normally is let down by the passive nature of the defenders not under his direct control.

Regarding selecting the GK... I guess that just means that the CPU defender nearest the ball has CPU-speed reactions, rather than human reactions, and is therefore less easy to escape?

Yeah that side needs improving if anything, thats not the parts of defending i meant.

I think because EA have issues with player changing obviously the AI have to track runs and respond etc thats just as bad when it doesn't happen.

the problem is currently they pressure, protect, track and tackle for you.

Whats left for the player to do? Other than add bad timing...

I don't think I've ever had 5 uninterrupted seconds on the ball in FIFA. I'd love to be able to stand on the ball, square a defender up & wait for him to react before walking into space he leaves. :(

the problem is currently they pressure, protect, track and tackle for you.

Whats left for the player to do? Other than add bad timing...
How do you think they should solve that, though?

I think you would want the AI player nearest the ball to behave accordingly, if you had selected someone else. You wouldn't want them to stand by as the dribbler walks through them, and you wouldn't want them to not stick a foot out if the ball was next to them.

It's not like the CPU presses very aggressively anyway, from my experience. They used to in FIFA 11 but they dialled it too far back in 12, imo.

I guess it becomes more difficult to score because the human player would normally gamble and make mistakes that let you in, whereas the CPU tends not to. Rather than the CPU being too active as such?

So I'm not sure how you'd fix that, off the top of my head.

How do you think they should solve that, though?

I think you would want the AI player nearest the ball to behave accordingly, if you had selected someone else. You wouldn't want them to stand by as the dribbler walks through them, and you wouldn't want them to not stick a foot out if the ball was next to them.

It's not like the CPU presses very aggressively anyway, from my experience. They used to in FIFA 11 but they dialled it too far back in 12, imo.

I guess it becomes more difficult to score because the human player would normally gamble and make mistakes that let you in, whereas the CPU tends not to. Rather than the CPU being too active as such?

So I'm not sure how you'd fix that, off the top of my head.

Personally I don't want any player to make a tackle without me pressing something... If they run into him fine, but that's rarely the case.

If the striker is a danger I should be controlling the nearest player not the CPU. Which gets us back to the player switching problem.

Its amazing that i have had alot of penalties given against me in games without anything happening from my controller. By the time i'd changed the guy had auto-tackled for a penalty.

There has to be skill involved in defending.

For these same reasons I don't want my strikers to shoot without me doing something either...

Surely that would be flagged up as ridiculous, well to me defending is just as much a skill. Auto mimic/contain is not the answer either.

I can go play football manager or watch a game if that's the case. because we'd be heading towards a game that plays itself.

People can defend the game but the reality is if you play this game competitively. I mean 1v1 Head to head or Pro Clubs then the videos released by these youtube guys are a sign of things to come. Lofted through balls are very easy, especially the short one's around the edge of the box not only that they've finally made volleys work quite well something that I've been wanting for 5 years now. The problem with that is the build they played is almost complete I hope they tone down that side of the game a little as it looks too easy.

It was the airjapes vs Ksiolajidebt video where Balotelli scores a 1st time volley outside the box after a 40 yard lofted through ball it all just looked too easy and if that's what I can expect online... the game will be tedious within days. The thing is I play to win so will inevitably end up using whatever methods get me goals the most regularly. I wish I could just pick Barca and tear teams apart with possession (you can already do this) but you're fighting against the natural design of the game to win this way.

I know people will disagree with me and that's fine I just hope possession football also has a say in who wins a match this time without being pressed all game/my opponent just overpowering me with speed and power over using their brain and creating space + time.

Of course the way I play is very different to these players but to think 90% of those we'll come across online won't be playing this way would be naive... and this is normal single player 1v1 imagine how exaggerated ultimate team is going to be ( a mode I play casually)

There has to be skill involved in defending.
I agree with you in principle, of course. I just don't know if it's simple.

Maybe, like you say, just never triggering a tackle might be an improvement. I can imagine there would be times when that might annoy though, like if you shepherd a dribbler into traffic but your teammates don't put a foot in. But maybe that's the lesser of two evils.

I agree with you in principle, of course. I just don't know if it's simple.

Maybe, like you say, just never triggering a tackle might be an improvement. I can imagine there would be times when that might annoy though, like if you shepherd a dribbler into traffic but your teammates don't put a foot in. But maybe that's the lesser of two evils.

Yeah probably... Slowing the game down a tad would help, giving time to change to the player... Its balancing it all..

They do an OK job of it overall, but i do wish it rewarded proper defending not homing missile pressure (in groups) which admittedly they tried to get rid of, but is definitely still there online with custom tactics.

We'll know son enough how exploitable it is.

I've played a few games of 13 and it was better than 12 in alot of areas, but as i play online mostly, how much it can be abused is what really matters to me.

I only ever get a month out of offline modes usually.

Fingers crossed

I feel bad since I'm responsible for Northampton's attributes in the database, and I've inadvertently turned Akinfenwa into some sort cult figure for these goonish TEKKERS banter lads.

Every year I get a free copy and every year I sell it on.

Yeah probably... Slowing the game down a tad would help, giving time to change to the player... Its balancing it all..

They do an OK job of it overall, but i do wish it rewarded proper defending not homing missile pressure (in groups) which admittedly they tried to get rid of, but is definitely still there online with custom tactics.

We'll know son enough how exploitable it is.

I've played a few games of 13 and it was better than 12 in alot of areas, but as i play online mostly, how much it can be abused is what really matters to me.

I only ever get a month out of offline modes usually.

Fingers crossed

I think this problem lies with every game that is played online, there are always a huge amount of people who want to win no matter what the cost, i don't play FPS anymore but it used to be people who camped in certain areas to ensure they didn't get hit and picked people off. My point being that football as a video game is not different, some people will always look for exploits rather than playing football to get to the top of the leaderboard no matter how many controls EA put in place

I feel bad since I'm responsible for Northampton's attributes in the database, and I've inadvertently turned Akinfenwa into some sort cult figure for these goonish TEKKERS banter lads.
I fear I did something similar with Emile Heskey, judging by all the Youtube videos.

I fear I did something similar with Emile Heskey, judging by all the Youtube videos.

The guy promoting it, 'HUEHU RAPE! BLACK BEAST!', is an absolute goon. Apparently yelling at the camera, while labouring every gag in an exaggerated commentators voice, is the pinaccle of epic lad bants.

That said, Akinfenwa has made himself a nice side business selling sloganised t-shirts to these twats. Maybe I should be due a cut. :CONFUSE:

I think this problem lies with every game that is played online, there are always a huge amount of people who want to win no matter what the cost, i don't play FPS anymore but it used to be people who camped in certain areas to ensure they didn't get hit and picked people off. My point being that football as a video game is not different, some people will always look for exploits rather than playing football to get to the top of the leaderboard no matter how many controls EA put in place

Exploiters, glitches etc i could deal with normally, you can 'avoid' them on Xbox live, its when it built into the game i have a problem. These things to exploit are readily available in custom tactics. Its sat there every year in the same menu so they can use last years exploits again. It then means everyone does it, just so you can compete. So it becomes part of the game rather than an exploit as such.

As someone pointed out earlier, passing and possession doesn't seem to get rewarded in the same way Launching/Lobbed through balls and high pressure does. So why do passing and possession game? Just to get beat on the counter attack with high-pressure fast players.

This is why i think it needs to be harder to tackle. Possession is passed over far too often in Fifa.

I hoped the new auto-shielding thing would help this but when i played Fifa 13 i never saw it once, i hope its because its changed buttons.

Romily confirmed via twitter Fifa13 season ticket early release is September 22nd-28th! :)

@RomilyBroad Hi Rom, can we get confirmation of season ticket EU early access? Keeps changing from 22nd - 24th and back?
@Placebo_obecalP It's 22nd. Some funniness going on there, but it's deffo the 22nd.
@RomilyBroad Awesome thanks, and how long does it last? On Xbox season ticket it's saying it runs from 22nd-28th which is 7 days?
@Placebo_obecalP 28th being release day, so yeah that'll be about right.

Back
Top Bottom