A golden time for games - its right now!

pboreham

Kick. Snare. Hat. Ride.
5 August 2002
C*lchester
Southend Utd
Unbelievable time to be a video game fan.

With PES2009, FIFA09, Fallout 3, Dead Space out recently, LBP out last week and Rock Band 2 on import - look what we've got this week (like I need to tell you!)

Guitar Hero World Tour
Call of Duty 5
Mirrors Edge
Football Manager 2009

(best single week of releases ever?)

To be fair, the only other game on the horizon (that I know of!) is Animal Crossing at the start of December.

But wow... loving it!

Last edited:
I'm asking for everything in my sig as Christmas presents, not going well so far. Although I've been told I can get LittleBigPlanet later on today and the family will pay for it, which is better than nothing!

I was really looking forward to Guitar Hero but I just can't afford it, I would always make an excuse before but now there is no excuse. I'm having more fun with the £40 games anyway, the variety (Fallout 3), the little details (guns jamming in Far Cry 2), the evolving characters (Fable II), the user-created content (I say that in advance of getting LittleBigPlanet)... And the classic blood guts and fun (Gears of War 2). And I still haven't got Crash Bandicoot for the co-op play in that, and I'm STILL on the Football Manager 2009 demo every night.

It's definitely one of the best times to be a gamer that I remember. For so many games to be released within a few weeks and each have a shout for "Game of the Year", that's just amazing.

I'm rushing like a maniac through Far Cry 2 to try and finish it for Friday, to get Mirror's Edge. I've never rushed a game so much in my life, it's sad because I love the game but if I don't finish it sharpish it'll only be worth half the price, and I won't have time to play anything else!

Last edited:
Money is definitely an issue and trade ins are the way to go - BUT, as I sit here and look at GTA4, GRID, MGS4, Burnout etc - all great games that I barely play (at the moment), but I cannot bring myself to trade those.

I traded Resi4 on the Wii yesterday for £18 at Blockbuster which was cool as I never really got into it.

Trades are the way to go!

blockbuster

but i got £30 for midnight club, well trade that get something for £10 offer so its the same thing

I've bought like 4 new games in the last few weeks, and i want to buy many more!

I've bought

- FIFA09
- Saints Row 2
- Far Cry 2
- NBA 2k9

Then next week i want to buy

- COD5
- Football Manager 2009

End of the month I want

- Guitar Hero: World Tour

The annoying thing is, I'm losing interest in gaming tbh, dunno what it is, but I can't just sit there for hours anymore and play games.

I might need some new ones I suppose but that means dipping into the overdraft, and if I'm not gonna play them, then why bother?

Guess Im stuck between Matherto's postion and wanting the games. I still enjoy them but I hardly have the time these days to play, especially during the week. Ive also noticed I just don't have the patience for a lot of games these days. Was playing Uncharted as I wanted to finish it, bought it awhile ago as a classic but got bored when the you-know-what got introduced to the game (chapter17). So anyway, thought I would push through this weekend as its near the end anyway so got somewhat stuck on level 18, it wasnt that I didnt know what to do but they kept killing me. So I persisted and started saving the game after every minisection after killing the b@stards. So Im at the final section and die so I go to load the last save but thanks to the brainless saving system of Uncharted they autosaved me back to the beginning of the last checkpoint. Meaning I had to redo all those annoying minisections killing the annoying b@stards (that shouldnt be part of the game, its not bloody Resi!) again. And I just couldnt be bothered.....

Same for GoW aswell, thought I'd get further on that but even just redoing a simple section frustrated me as I couldnt be bothered and thought it was a waste of my time. Admittedly the story doesnt interest me, but even so the quality of the game, action, graphics, etc would have had me hooked a few years ago. These days I just think; "Meh".

There's been so few games that have made me finish it right to the end the past couple of years. Mass Effect as I was hoping the story would pick up but before I knew it it was finished, HL2 & Bioshock were great, although Bioshock did have a somewhat anticlimax. You can see in my list those that havent lasted, havent played GTA for ages and really feel no need to either.

But then I look at the games and I want to get MGS4 as its cheap now, Fallout3 has me more and more intrigued (especially as it's probably my favorite setting for a game/movie/story) Im still enjoying FIFA, even more now as Ive bumped it up to WC and am having some cracking games vs the AI. Can't wait for CoD5 just so CoD4 goes cheap and I can get that as I mostly play singleplayer. So Ive got quite a few games Im looking forward to, including Alan Wake for what will probably be out in 20-bloody-12! Fable has me interested aswell. Guess I just need to be more focused these days with what games I get.

Last edited:
How the hell can you be playing the FM Demo? The injuries are ridiculous.

im surviving here! lol
at the end of my demo half season i had yobo, yakubu, arteta, cahill, baines and offcourse mr.van der meyde(REALISTICLY) injuried!!(most of them 2 or 3 month injuries)
still, cause of the improved macth engine, no cheats so far, i standed at 6th place, playing a lot like real everton! im in love with the game, just addicted...im sure the release day pacth will fix the injury problem and a lot more little bugs.

I toned training down a bit and I've only had three injuries in nearly half a season, I genuinely don't think it's a problem. Fix your training, fix your injuries. And I'm seeing my strikers develop an amazing partnership, it's so good to see it in 3D. They're constantly trying to set eachother up and they've scored some belters. Eat your heart out Shearer and Sheringham.

Just found this, thought of this thread straight away:

20081031.jpg

The thing is with these new games, they have a few things that make you go "wow" and then once you've seen all of those, you have a basic, short and shallow game underneath and the online modes are ridden with dickheads.
£40 for good first impressions then disappointment is not a good deal.

One of the biggest (if not the biggest) game of the year in COD 5 seems shit, even from first impressions. The beta was just a chaotic arcadey mess and I don't see the full version being much better.
Most of these new games are just shooters, no game developers seem to have any imagination any more. You just walk/run around and shoot people, just with different themes and locations.

LittleBigPlanet is the only one which looks like the developers have been imaginitive and creative, but the concept of just building/downloading levels and then just running from start to finish (with a few jumps/actions in between) doesn't interest me, plus I don't have a PS3.

Sonic has had it's time (in the 90's), and they should stop releasing shitty games which people will buy because of the memories they had with the first versions. The same goes for Tomb Raider and maybe Crash Bandicoot too.

Football Manager 09 is bugged up and may be alright once the 9.0.2 patch is released, until then it's a mess.

Oh well, a good football game is the game which will stay in the console the most for me, and thankfully we have one good football game in FIFA 09.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your not on your own there Nick that's why LBP never appealed to me. As much as I appreciate it's innovation it's just not my thing. Haven't been a beat em' up fan since the days of Street Fighter II at the arcade.

I'm picking up COD5 tomorrow, and I'm begging my family to get me Guitar Hero: World Tour this weekend. It's terrible timing as well, stupid exams.

Unbelievable time to be a video game fan.

With PES2009, FIFA09, Fallout 3, Dead Space out recently, LBP out last week and Rock Band 2 on import - look what we've got this week (like I need to tell you!)

Guitar Hero World Tour
Call of Duty 5
Mirrors Edge
Football Manager 2009

(best single week of releases ever?)

To be fair, the only other game on the horizon (that I know of!) is Animal Crossing at the start of December.

But wow... loving it!
out of that list im only interested in Football Manager 2009 so nope that is not the best single week of releases ever imo;)

Back
Top Bottom