360 or PS3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapnKill

Conference
10 July 2007
Has anyone played both? I'm not sure which version to buy. I like the PS3 controller, but on-line lag or lack there of is more important to me. I would assume XBLive would be better, but maybe not?

More people have 360's yet i have a PS3 and get no lag at all, it depends on your connections but between the games theres no difference at all.

I think the main thing to look at is the exclusives and what you're really interested in. Most games are multi platform and are almost identical on both consoles. But I'm sure either console is a good investment. I myself have a 360.

I can see this turning into fanboy fight bullshit, it usually happens on any forum when there is a 360 v PS3 discussion...
I got a 360 because that's what my mates play on online, because of Xbox Live as well as the current and upcoming PS3 exclusives not interesting me much, but I see why some would like the PS3 better and blu-ray's capacity may lead to better games in the future, and if that becomes the case I would probably buy one.

Please, no fanboy crap, it's not worth it.

Start by looking at what your mates own and what exclusives you're more interested in.

Online lag - there are people who have had trouble with one console and not with the other. I'd assume the majority would agree the 360 has a more stable online gaming wise, though i had nothing but trouble online with the 360 and near to no problems or lag on the PS3.

The PS3 does have the odd game with online problems at launch but they're usually sorted out within the first week. I can't say I've ever heard of a 360 game other than 'Saints Row' that had the same kind of trouble online for everybody.

XBL offers a few more features currently like achievements, in game chat and in game access to messages but they are coming for the PS3 as well so they'll be more or less on equal levels by the end of this year.

PS3 has 'HOME' but no one has any idea really if that will be amazing or just a bit of a gimmick that gets boring. You'd be best off having a read up on what it offers and seeing if it excites you.

PS3 has blue ray which like said above might offer bigger better games. Though I can't see many game devs taking advantage of the bigger capacity discs as its much easier and cheaper to get it working on the 360 and port it over. You also have blue ray movies if that floats your boat.

One thing i noticed when i got my PS3 was that they charge fair prices for their store content (DLC)

The 360 tends to go with the rule of if it costs $4.99 in the USA then it will cost £4.99 in the UK whereas the PS3 goes with a more or less accurate currency conversion

The PS3 also offers region free gaming so you can import games from the USA or Japan or anywhere and play them without chipping or modding your PS3. See Rockband!

I can't really think of anything else worth thinking about.

Last edited:
Got both and would say PS3 (shock!)

Unless you are really anal about slight differences in graphics, then the games are pretty much identical now. PS3 offers lots more in way of multimedia and a web browser.

You can upgrade the harddrive in the PS3 easily and without invalidating any warranty and also use a mouse/keyboard (including in Unreal 3). Also, if it floats your boat, you can install Linux legitimately on the PS3 and run things like Open Office, Firefox, Thunderbird and emulators like MAME.

Personally I also prefer the Sixaxis (or like most of us, import the DS3 for around £30) to the 360 pad, but again, just my pref - the 360 pad is also good.

Had no real online probs - GTA was/is a bit buggy online, but I think its settled down now - plus online is FREE so thats cool.

Other than that, echo all the other PS3 comments above. I did enjoy the 360 too, but in the end, I've preferred to stick with the PS3 - sure you wont go wrong whatever you choose!!!

For me it came down to the controller, and I was so used to the PS2/PS3 style that I stuck with that and got a PS3.

If were honest there is not a huge amount of difference between them in terms of graphics / visual ability. Maybe in the future this will change, but if you look at most recent games (GTA, COD4, Burnout, NBA2k8, FIFA08) then there is not that much difference.

The xbox has had problems with system failure, but if you buy a new one that shouldn't be problem (only be careful with 2nd hand systems).

In terms of exclusives there is not that much to pick between the two. e.g. On the one hand you have Halo 3 on the other MGS4, yeah there are a couple of niche games that will only be on one system, but most of the main games, CoD, Fifa, PES, GTA, etc will make it onto both system.

Basically, as people have already mentioned the main differences are:-

Online - Xbox better service but costs money, PS3 average service but free
BluRay - PS3 can play them Xbox can't (only a factor if you're a big fan of movies
Controller - For me the biggest factor, you need to try both and see which you prefer
Region free - PS3 can play games region free (useful if you do a lot of travelling to USA / Asia and want to pick up games earlier or cheaper)

Those are the main factors, to be honest if I were you I'd rent the Xbox and see how you find the controller, as that will be the key and that is a matter of personal taste, so no one can really say "this is better than that etc". I rented the Xbox and didn't like the controller at all so went for the PS3. If you find the Xbox's controller ok and are happy for pay for the online subscription (which does give you a better service) then go for the Xbox.

Having recently had some good experiences online with the PSN and the fact the Dual Shock 3 controller IMO is excellent I am no longer going to write off the PS3. If they can sort out the online messaging In-Game and perhaps also our own soundtracks in game then for me there would be almost no reason to own both a 360 and a PS3.

Having recently had some good experiences online with the PSN and the fact the Dual Shock 3 controller IMO is excellent I am no longer going to write off the PS3. If they can sort out the online messaging In-Game and perhaps also our own soundtracks in game then for me there would be almost no reason to own both a 360 and a PS3.

I'm welling up!

You sold your 360 then Paul. Im looking at doing the same.

Yea, sold it last night - we are moving and I couldnt justify keeping two consoles, so it was a no brainer.

Got £140 for it with 4 old(er) games, so pleased with that!

You gonna stick yours on AVF?

Though of something else positive for the PS3

The web browser!

Sure you can do more stuff on your pc's browser but if i want to check this site and 2 others during the day its far quicker to boot the PS3 up and open my bookmarks than turn the pc on and wait for that to boot up

lol, I was really just asking if I should by Euro 2008 for the PS3 or the 360... I posted this in the other soccer game discussion but then it got moved here. I should've specified in the title. Sorry guys.

The one your friends have it on - after that ive no idea if the gameplay on them both is the same or slightly different as Fifa 08 was.

One thing i have noticed you don't see puddles of water on the pitch on the PS3 version - yet you do on the 360. In my eyes i prefer it without as it looks more like puddles of mercury on the pitch than water... and i cant think of many top class footie games where you actually see puddles on the pitch.

You guys are very mature because most forums that this question is asked always desend in to 'the 360/PS3 is sheet, the 360/PS3 iz wel betta l0l011111'

Last edited:
I had a NES, SNES, Master System and Megadrive emu on the PS2

was great rolling back the years playing on Streets of Rage

lol, I was really just asking if I should by Euro 2008 for the PS3 or the 360... I posted this in the other soccer game discussion but then it got moved here. I should've specified in the title. Sorry guys.

Maybe I'm the only one that can help! I've had it on both consoles.

As much as I get accused of being a P$3 fanboy, I'll give it to you straight.

1) Get it on the console your friends have it first and foremost

2) 360 version is more stable online (I've had lots of discons on PS3
already)

3) 360 version for some reason is prone to disk read errors. I had it myself and I've read of a few other people had the same.

3) PS3 suffers from bad framerate on replays. Not a massive prob as I normally skip replays, but if its important to you, get it on 360.

4) I prefer the 'feel' of it on PS3 - as I do with FIFA which I also had on both consoles. Thats a personal pref though, prob due to the pad and the *marginally' faster response times on PS3 - but again, I cannot back that up with anything other than personal pref!

If you have both consoles and the free choice (and are a gold Live member), get it on 360.

i say get both liek what i did. but i admit i would not of gotten a ps3 if it wasnt for the rrod though. but looking at the lineup of the ps3, they have lost fo exclusive games im realy looking forward to more then the 360.

If you are a rich chick (or your just plain stupid with your money like me) then buy both. Blu Ray movies are well worth it as is Free Online play on the PS3... Decent Online Play and decent content is where the 360 is..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom