"The Good Ol' Days" thread.

OMFG! Danger UXB - now there was a game and a half, I totally forgot about it - that was until I saw the pic - bleary eyed morning and a slight twang of I recognise that picture.

The guy kinda looked more like a teddy bear than anything else.

*warm memories*
:)
Actually no, I'm feeling very old, I've just pissed myself...
:roll:

If I get a moment, which int likely for the next few days, I'll dig up some other classics like some Tynesoft Rig Attack or Goal! I've seen there's a Soccer Superemo emulator out there - Trevor Francis was very expensive back in them days. 8)

Yes the pipes game was crap but it was the first Mario game before the SMB1 on the NES came out.

DJ

Are you guys talking about the battle mode from Mario 3?

Yes I am mate BUT it was a game in itself and was the first Mario game. In fact I had it on C64 back in the day mate.

Edit: and all you had to do was avoid/kill the enemies.

DJ

That game wasnt too bad for its time. But playing that today would almost hurt your eyes. lol

I like the improvements that game got in the Gameboy Advance version though.

The pipes game is on mame isn't it?Seem to remember playing that one...(innocent look)

Original Spikester - I know! Danger UXB had such addictive music that it made it great to play. I only ever finished about 3 or 4 screens though before it got too fast!:lmao:

Yep APX thats the Mario game I was referring to!

Hands up who had one of these?

megadrive.jpg

:) Megadrive to us Europeans and Genesis to Americans and Japanese.

Favourite Game?

sonic_2.jpg

Well that would be Sonic The Hedgehog 2 in my case :)

DJ

It became one of the best Consoles ive ever had :) along with the PS ONE!

DJ

Megadrive in Japan too actually ;)

I had a Japanese one with Phelios, Hellfie and Thunderforce 3. The console had pink plastic on the top and the '16 bit' was HUGE.

Cool I assumed us europeans were the only ones who called it Megadrive. Ill update my internal records :)

DJ

Is anyone else here an old fashioned gamer?
I think I'm a really old fashioned gamer. I seem to only be playing classic genres like beat 'em ups (Street Fighter, Tekken), the shoot 'em ups (R-Type, Ikaruga), RPGs, Footy games, etc.
But I've noticed that I always avoided the more complex games like MGS or the many FPS games (if I do play a FPS, its only Quake or Unreal Tournament which is purely deathmatch based) and even most of the 3D versions of classic games I used to love like Zelda and Metroid. I kinda feel I'm the sort of person who just wants to pick up the pad and be able to play.
This doesnt mean I play less or enjoy games less than others do. Its just that if someone spends 6-7 hours trying to complete a MGS game, I might spend the same amount of hours in one day playing multiplayer on Tekken 5 or PES5 and trying to master the game.

Anyone else the same here?

i remember a 22 hour session on soulblazer on the snes. a couple of breaks for food and a piss and that was it. I can still complete mario world aswell. loved my snes.
had a BBC B. I remember spending 2-3 hours typing a game from a magazine and it never worked. the next month the magazine had the mistakes that you needed to remedy.

like you rune, i still play but only in short bursts now. even pes5, i only play 1 or 2 games at a time.

I play in short bursts too (oo-er):D. I tend to play short sharp games like you too. However, I made an exception for MGS - was hooked on the Japanese PS1 and with MGS2:Substance I remember it took me three days (including my weekend off work and one loooooooooooong evening) to finish. My girlfriend left at 8 in the morning, came back at 6.30/7pm and couldn't believe that I was still playing in a darkened room, hadn't had any lunch (wasted gaming time!) and was still in the clothes that I slept in.:lmao: - the first game that I was totally addicted to and the closest I've been to drugs!

Mario Kart on Snes, Super Mario World on Snes, Super Mario Allstars on Snes = amazing. People who only started gaming during the PS, and N64 era missed out big time.

Ikaruga and R-type Final are top class Rune. I also recommend you take Gradius V for a spin, the Gradius series is a classic and this particular iteration was done by the same people who made Ikaruga (Treasure).

Marukumo, I also had myself a bit of a Soul Blazer marathon back in the day, not as bad as yours though (I need my sleep :lol:).

Have you played R-Type Leo? Its the only 2 player R-Type game ever.
It was out only in the arcades but you can download it for MAME and play it on the PC. Really fun.

What about this for a classic game :)

Radiant%20Sword%2002.jpg

Radiant Silver Gun

also what about

foto_f101033.jpg

Ghost n ghouls

Most of my time was spent playing Sonic 2, Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Sensible Soccer and the original FIFA International soccer. Before that I spent time going through programming books typing in Games and Programs for the C64!!! when they worked it was great, when you got heaps of errors it was a nightmare! trying to pick through the lines to find out which ones were wrong and then finding out you type "PINT" instead of "PRINT" arrggghhhhhh :)

DJ

Typing in games was great - my parents way of keeping me quiet for ages and then messing around with the 10 colour palete to change sheep to yellow rather than white :D

Sega Mega Drive - Ayton Senna's Grand Prix.

Great student days, I remember we all wore a black arm band on the day of his death and then did reinactments at Spa. We was the evilist stoner students in them days 8)

anyone remember the goal you could score from the half way line in sensible soccer. You'd go diagnally towards the half way line then cut in and shoot and it would fly in.

yep I can remember that goal :) did that many a time :)

I also remember my cousin whos a few years older than me having a ZX Spectrum

48kspec.jpg

And a VIC 20 :)

DJ

Cloud1863 said:
What about this for a classic game :)

Radiant%20Sword%2002.jpg

Radiant Silver Gun

also what about

foto_f101033.jpg

Ghost n ghouls

Two stone cold classics. I've never played RSG though :( It's hailed by some as the greatest 2D shooter ever. I really hope they emulate it some day.

Ghouls and Ghosts was rock solid! You had to go back to the start once you got the magic armour if I remember correctly. Games were so harsh in those days! You would never get that in a modern release.

I know what you mean Joystick, I wasn't able to get my hands on RSG either. At least Ikaruga had much more exposure.
That pic is from the new Ghost n Ghouls PSP game. It's looking good.

RSG isn't as hard to get hold of as people make out, and while it is brilliant, it's not really the best shooter either.

Back
Top Bottom