4K Gaming

bsmaff

International
11 August 2003
Hertfordshire
Exeter City
Well as some are aware 4K gaming monitors have recently got to below the £500 mark. As I mentioned before I was always very tempted when they reached this price so I bought a 4K monitor which arrived today.

After trying a few games out yesterday I thought I would post a quick update:

First I will start with the obvious which is the spec of the machine the 4K is running on:

Intel i7 4770k @4.5GHz Overclocked.
2x Nvidia GTX 680 running in SLI.
16GB of RAM
500GB SSD - All games are running from SSD.

First initial impressions are that obviously even with 2x GTX 680's you can't run games maxxed out in 4K, but that is obvious.
So last night I found myself messing quite a lot with graphics settings to get them to their optimum.

For instance running Tomb Raider benchmark at Ultra Settings in 1080p runs at 96FPS on average, where as the same settings in 4K Tomb Raider only managed a poor 24FPS.

Batman Arkham City and AC3 on the other hand ran very well with the majority of settings switched on at a steady 60FPS without any problems.

At present there certainly is no real advantage of games running at 4K, as you either have the game running at MED/HIGH settings in 4K or have the game maxed out at 1080p.

So far though Arma 2 because that is maxed out looks stunning in 4K and not the dated game it is now.
Other new games also look very impressive BF4 looks incredible in 4K but I believe that is because the textures are available at 4K, Titan Fall keeps crashing for some reason and won't launch in 4K so have not tested that yet.

I will take some ingame screens later of some games.

If anyone is interested in how certain games perform at 4K let me know and I will test them tonight.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom