Divinity Original Sin

ZeroTheHero

Banned
20 September 2013
Sweden
Borussia Dortmund
So, the latest game in the Divinity franchise by Larian.

http://www.larian.com/

It's a RPG with a lot of freedom in terms of character creation and also in the adventure. Most of your choices have consequences one way or another, some dire and some not. It's basically a RPG sandbox and I urge you to play the game "blind". Don't watch guides, let's play's or walkthroughs -it will make the game pointless. More so than "regular" games.

I'll make a short "new player guide" here to help you out without having to trial and error yourself through the first half of the game.

Character creation:
There are several classes to choose from but the class is actually only suggested skills and abilities. The class choice affects starting equipment but that's also replacable quite early so in reality class choice doesn't matter at all and the class suggested point distribution is generally very, very bad.

The system gives the illusion that you're entirely free when making a character and it's tempting to make a hybrid class, a melee mage or even to build further on the Cleric or Shadowblade class. Well, I can assure you it's not a good idea. The equipment in this game makes sure that hybrids will be terrible. Cloth armor requires intelligence while leather requires dexterity. Mail and plate armors requires strength, naturally. The difference in power between an armor that requires 7 ability and 10 is HUGE, so it basically force you to put 13-15 points in either Strength, Intelligence or Dexterity and ruling out any combination of the two since you need to focus the other half of the points in two of the three remaining statistics; Constitution, Speed and Perception.

Everyone needs Speed, a melee character wants Constitution and an archer wants Perception. So, there you have it... you don't have any freedom at all unless you want to severly hamper the effectiveness of your character.

Having low intelligence rules out the effectiveness of magic, the exception is regarding pure buff spells so you could sprinkle a tank or melee damage dealer with Witchcraft for the buffs, for example.

Base stats all start at 5 and the cap is 15. You get 1 point to but in these every other level. 3-5-7-9 and so on. Your characters will eventually reach level ~20.

Optimized starting points by archetype:
@lvl1 - @lvl9

Heavy Armor type (Weapon & Shield or Twohanded)
Str 8 - 10
Con 6 - 7 *I'd stop this at 8
Spd 6 - 7 (Amount of action points)

Cloth type (Spells & staff)
Int 8 - 10
Spd 7 - 9

Leather type (Ranged or dagger)
Dex 8 - 10
Spd 6 - 7
Per 6 - 7 (Long range hit bonus and critical chance)

You can hire two henchmen to strengthen the group or you can choose the "Lone Wolf" trait that boosts your characters considerably but force you to play with two characters throughout. I've done the latter with success as defensive warrior and archer and gotten +int gear to get it decent enough to make healing spells OK.

Following this guide you'll be able to wear and use the best possible gear you'll find at all times. Gear is very significant in this game, which is a bad thing really but it is what it is. Hybrid classes works great at the beginning of the game but it becomes apparent that you've fucked up once you reach around level 5. Since Wizards basically only need two statistics they are easily extremely powerful but many spells also cost a lot of action points compared to a melee attack so it's quite balanced in that regard. An archer get arrows that imitate most spells, so one archer is a Wizard-lite and honestly an invaluable asset to the group.

If you're making a group without "lone wolf" trait, I'd suggest Wizard and Archer types since you'll find another wizard and a warrior in the first town that you can hire. Two wizards can complement each other (oil+fire spells or water+ice etc.) Alternatively you can create a proper shield warrior since the one you'll find is a twohanded damage dealer. Shield tanks are great if you invest points in shield skill. I never need to heal mine much. Always nuke enemy mages first with your archers.

Last edited:
I like the fact that there is no handholding going on in this game. You get told that you have to go to a Church which is located North West and the only other pointers you get is for example following a road and read signs along the road. Also, when you find evidence or clues related to quests the quest-log doesn't give you the answer, you still have to piece together a logical explanation and act accordingly, you might be wrong though but you're not really told that in the game. So you could keep wondering or forget all about it and accept that you might have condemned an innocent or similar.

The combat part isn't the funniest part about this game anyway, which is why I choose to ignore the fact that the way gear is "balanced" is fucked up. I've made my characters according to the guide above and it has saved me a lot of head-ache. It does completely remove the freedom of making hybrids though, I mean a spell casting rogue might be fun but he would also be either slow or have very weak magic. You can never take points from Dexterity as it would exclude weapons and armor at higher levels which in turn directly hampers damage and survivability. Both of those aren't overpowered when you're tweaked to the max either, so you simply can't afford it.

Crafting is extremely powerful, yet it's difficult in the sense that you don't get told the recipes the traditional way. To help you along I'll share some of the one's I've found so far;

You can get metal by mining it, finding it or smelt swords, axes and hammers in a furnace.

Here's a decent crafting list:
http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=506737

The way crafting works is that at skill lvl5 you create the best possible weapon for the level of the crafter. If the crafter is lvl5 and has 5 in crafting, he creates a very good level 5 weapon and so on. In addition he can boost existing and crafted stuff, so this skill is pretty much fantastic. Through some conversation and skill investment you can have 5 crafting quite early and it helps a lot (2 from skill points, 2 from traits and 1 from gear that you can switch to when needed). At skill level5 you also create weapons with some small "magical" bonuses that can additionally be enchanted with rubies. I haven't bothered much with the last part as I still outgrow my gear to quickly to invest any more than necessary in them.

Once you gain a level you can head to town, smelt your weapons and re-make and boost them to fit the new level.

Last edited:
Keep seeing good comments about this but I've got Diablo III which I've barely touched...

It's nothing like Diablo. Combat is actually really hard, you have to think several moves ahead to survive the early part of the game.

Plus you can be really successful without having to fight all the time. Stealth, charisma, crafting and so forth is really important.

Personally I enjoy this more than Diablo III, but I think I'm over-diablo'd after I and II.

I love this game. Most fun I've had with a PC game since Skyrim.

Do you agree with my assessment of character building? I've noticed there are cloth armor which doesn't seem to have any Str/dex or Int requirement so that could be used if you "multiclass" but I still haven't found any weapons that doesn't need a fair amount to be wielded and damage is quite important even for support roles imo.

I haven't played for a few days so I'm still lvl11-ish and the game more or less force you to keep damage and armor levels on par. Often simple "un-magical" gear will replace "epic stuff" which is just a level or two lower so I can't possibly see how any class can compete by investing in two of the "main" attribute scores.

Last edited:
Do you agree with my assessment of character building? I've noticed there are cloth armor which doesn't seem to have any Str/dex or Int requirement so that could be used if you "multiclass" but I still haven't found any weapons that doesn't need a fair amount to be wielded and damage is quite important even for support roles imo.

I haven't played for a few days so I'm still lvl11-ish and the game more or less force you to keep damage and armor levels on par. Often simple "un-magical" gear will replace "epic stuff" which is just a level or two lower so I can't possibly see how any class can compete by investing in two of the "main" attribute scores.

Yeah the levelling i a little odd. I think I like it, but I missed a big chunk of the 'story' and did another piece first, which meant battles were nigh on impossible for a while, but when I went back to the bit I missed it was a cakewalk.

Gear is somewhat frustrating - you get so much of it! Hard to invest in blacksmithing stuff up if it's just going to be 'low levelled' a minute later.

My crew is:

1. Witch/Healer/Buffer - Focus on intelligence and speed for AP
2. Wizard - Mainly fire and aeromancer - deals damage and gives shields/weakens enemies
3. Scandal/Marksman - Generally start battles with a bow, use some of the group-impacting arros, then go invisible and backstab :)
4. Tank - All into strength and constitution, go stand in the middle of the fray and deal damage

Working pretty well now. Normally summon a second 'tank' type character to go and take the hits for everyone. Most important thing in the game is definitely the status impacting spells. I can blind 3 different enemies a round, which is ridiculously helpful.

Bought this a few days ago and really enjoying it. Very addictive where you just want to see the next area and what's in that wooden crate :)

Back
Top Bottom