EA Sports UFC (PS4)

Really? I find the punch and kick animations to be superb. Hopefully they adjust the stamina system so you get penalized for trying to throw a ton of punches and kicks in a short amount of time. The sound effects are really good. I've never done MMA but I have sparred with some guys and the sound effects are almost dead on.

I'm not talking about the animations while striking.I'm talking about defensive or reactive side for being hit.That's what puts me off.

The guy who's Pettis looks OK at it and is mixing in some nice combos that look great so if he had a like minded opponent it would have been a lot better.

But just watching Pettis makes me think i'm going to love this game, can't wait.

I'm not talking about the animations while striking.I'm talking about defensive or reactive side for being hit.That's what puts me off.

I can see what you're saying. When Pettis nails Aldo with a left hook the reaction from it might seem a bit over the top to people. I've seen fighters react like that after getting hit as I've seen tons of MMA fights. I'm fine with the way his head turns as that is realistic. I just don't like the crumbling animation since the shot didn't lead to a KO and it is very, very rare in real MMA fights. Usually when a fighter crumbles like that the ref stops the fight.

MMA-Punching-techniques.jpg

jardinevchuck.jpg

Wow... this was not on my radar, but got talking to my boss about UFC and said a game was due out and went onto YT to take a look at some of the latest vids and it looks just amazing!

Its gonna look good in trailers etc, so as good as they were, kinda discounted them, but watching one of the fight gameplays and it plays out superbly.

Maybe the fighters move a little quickly, but its hard to get that speed right I guess and it is something that needs improving in sports games (i.e. in real life football, the ball, players and reactions etc are much faster than FIFA - yet we moan when FIFA is 'fast' as its 'arcadey')

But anyways, this has just gone to Day 1 purchase status!

Demo out now apparently. Not sure if it's on USA and eu tomorrow or it's out everywhere now though

Yeah I've gone over the tutorial twice and still don't quite understand how submissions work.

Also how do you defend a take down? I keep pressing the right buttons but it just isn't working.

Other than that it's good. Only negatives are it still has that fight night thing where you're hitting away and the opponent doesn't react. Also there's some very glitchy animations if you go for a certain move and get caught... I've jumped up for a kick, been jabbed and ended up flipping backwards onto my head and kicking him in the arm which then went loopy and he jabbed up into the air and somehow still hit me as I got knocked loopy for a second.

the commentary on the post match replays are lifeless and generic. They'll go from screaming about a ko finish to saying in a low voice 'and here is the replay of that punch'. 'And another angle'
Just so lifeless and shit.

A'oh and fuck EA for blocking commentary on saves videos

Last edited:
Meh might give this a miss now. Initial excitement has died more I see/hear. Give the demo a go tonight...

Definitely give it a go. It's a grower.

I just uppercutted gustafsson which sent him staggering almost the full length of the cage, he hit the wall came back out and I smashed his face off his head with a right hook. It looked fantastic (and typically the ps4 didn't record it).

Still not fully clicking on the submissions. If seems you press the right stick to escape and they try to stop you. So rather than concentrate on the hold and pressure it's just purely a cat and mouse escape mini game.
Not sure how that works when it comes to high or low submission skills though

The only thing I don't like is the submissions. I was confused in the tutorials how to do them.

Everything else I really really like. Sure, theres some small animation problems, but most sports/fighting games are like that.

Those that have it seem to like the submissions alot more than previous versions, but you need to know what you are doing.

Had a go at lunch. Not for me I dont think... too much button mashing and the controls are quite complex really, including some moves needing LT/LB or RT/RB holding down simultaneously with a face button which is really uncomfortable.

Playing it felt (though obviously didnt look) just like the UFC game on Dreamcast.

Glad there was a demo!

I'm hoping we can configure the controls so they're more like the thq games were. Using the sticks is stupid as it's hit and miss what animation actually plays out.

Yea I was just waggling round and nothing much was happening. Suffers the same as the Dreamcast games (and maybe UFC translating as a video game in general), in that during the grapples, its basically a tug-of-war... so whatever you input can feel like its not doing anything as the opponent is either to strong or also countering.

Just feel totally disconnected with it in those moments.

And as others have said, the striking feels a bit crap at times as you just whacking a wet fish with little reaction.

I must admit, UFC Undisputed 3, for me, is the greatest game ever made. I absolutely love everything about that game in Simulation Mode. It's a perfect 10 for me.

I've yet to play the Demo, although my son has downloaded it and had about 10 fights so far. He told me that its better than he expected, but not great. He also loves UFC 3, and is a huge fan of the sport and THQ games. He is also very, very good at UFC 3, it's a game that is pretty much never out of my PS3.

I'm gutted they ditched THQ, I think they nailed the mechanics like nothing I've ever seen before. The game is so deep, and I'd be happy to play it forever. I've made about 10-15 CAFS, so my game is very much up to date.

My son has just text me as I'm writing this, and said 'I'm starting to enjoy this game'. So that has given me a little hope...........

I'm gutted they ditched THQ, I think they nailed the mechanics like nothing I've ever seen before. The game is so deep, and I'd be happy to play it forever. I've made about 10-15 CAFS, so my game is very much up to date.

Well, it's not like they "ditched" them. THQ just went bankrupt and transfered the license over to EA.

Anyway, I enjoy the game a lot. Love the animations, love the counters, love the striking. Can't go around spamming strikes like in Undisputed, where people just kept elbowing you with a powerful opponent and won. Ground and pound could be a bit better, striking doesn't have enough power and I wish the refs would actually intervene more, seems to be only for cutscenes.

Pretty great overall for their first attempt. Can't wait to see what they do with DLC. Would pay good money for a PRIDE GP Mode.

Looking forward to the 20th. My PS4 will get some serious use out of this game.

Well, it's not like they "ditched" them. THQ just went bankrupt and transfered the license over to EA.

It's not the same dev that made the THQ games though it's the dev that made the Fight Night games and the previous EA MMA game (whatever that was called)

It's not the same dev that made the THQ games though it's the dev that made the Fight Night games and the previous EA MMA game (whatever that was called)

No, EA Canada never touched EA Sports MMA. This studio made the Fight Night games. EA Sports MMA was made by EA Tiburon.

I'm not a big fan of Yuke's. The Undisputed games were OK for what they were, but you can see the low budget rear its ugly head when it came to presentation, online and so forth. Their yearly wrestling output is also beyond terrible. They haven't made a good WWE games since Here Comes the Pain, 10 years ago.

gustafsson-2nkrdh.gif

Just tried the demo and I'm not going to get this until it's bargain-bin price. Just doesn't feel like it has the right feel to it from what I'd expect from MMA.

Hits feel like they lack anything behind them, the animations are pretty jarring and the CPU, as usual in these type of games, just spams attacks so you spent a ridiculous amount of time blocking or moving and MMA just isn't like that a lot of the time.

I thought it'd turn out like this when EA got their hands on it. Shame.

I must admit, UFC Undisputed 3, for me, is the greatest game ever made. I absolutely love everything about that game in Simulation Mode. It's a perfect 10 for me.

I've yet to play the Demo, although my son has downloaded it and had about 10 fights so far. He told me that its better than he expected, but not great. He also loves UFC 3, and is a huge fan of the sport and THQ games. He is also very, very good at UFC 3, it's a game that is pretty much never out of my PS3.

My son has just text me as I'm writing this, and said 'I'm starting to enjoy this game'. So that has given me a little hope...........

Same, so it was going to a purchase for me regardless as I used to fight (box), but not professional.:P Fighting games (boxing or mma) are always number 1 on my list followed closely by basketball and European football. Are there a few things I don't like in the demo? Most defn. Their not game killers though so I can live with them.

My biggest concern is a well paced, defensive, counter-striking strategy won't be possible as you will constantly be engaged in a a slug-fest.

I feel the computer AI is far too aggressive too. I also hope we can turn off the stamina bar, and visual damage indicator

Imagine trying to be Lyoto Machida or Dominic Cruz and you just get embroiled in wars, when you just want to hit once and move away. That said it is the demo, and trust the full game will be better paced, AI toned down, and once we master the controls it will shine.

I do not understand the criticism of the AI, do people not realise its locked to easy difficulty? Thats like getting a PES demo and complaining about the AI when its locked to 1 star, of course its going to be bad.

As for the rest of the game I fear it may be a bit limited, on its surface its seems pretty good but it does not appear to have much depth. As a foundation though, I think they got something good to move forward with.

I do not understand the criticism of the AI, do people not realise its locked to easy difficulty? Thats like getting a PES demo and complaining about the AI when its locked to 1 star, of course its going to be bad.

As for the rest of the game I fear it may be a bit limited, on its surface its seems pretty good but it does not appear to have much depth. As a foundation though, I think they got something good to move forward with.

I must not have been clear.

Gustaffson uses footwork mainly, Jones fights at range, is strong in the clinch and uses takedowns. I see none of this fighting IQ in the fighters. It is always pressing forward. I dont even find it that easy so god knows what medium is like.

It's not to do with difficulty its fighting IQ the AI has, and constantly pressing forward is crap. Sure certain fighters do, but if they all play like this I will be very pissed off.

I like facets of the demo, parts I love, but it hasnt the "one more game" buzz of other titles. As I say the main game may be different, hopefully anyway.

Yeah the ai is poor. I'm constantly having to back away from their never ending spamming attacks. Plus they spam takedowns that I just can't ever seem to block. There's just no 'intelligence' there at all apart from the odd occasion where you rock them with a kick or punch and they'll grapple you to rest up. But even that is rare, mostly they just keep hammering punch and kick.

I must not have been clear.

Gustaffson uses footwork mainly, Jones fights at range, is strong in the clinch and uses takedowns. I see none of this fighting IQ in the fighters. It is always pressing forward. I dont even find it that easy so god knows what medium is like.

It's not to do with difficulty its fighting IQ the AI has, and constantly pressing forward is crap. Sure certain fighters do, but if they all play like this I will be very pissed off.

I like facets of the demo, parts I love, but it hasnt the "one more game" buzz of other titles. As I say the main game may be different, hopefully anyway.

I was not responding solely to you, its an often repeated criticism I have seen on many forums.

I do agree with what you are saying about fighting styles and unfortunately I doubt each fighter will represent its real life counterpart, maybe next year(assuming this is a annual release).
With the higher difficulty's I do expect the constant pressing and attacking to stop and there to be a more measured game plan and pace.

Also you forgot to mention eye pokes when describing Jones' fighting style :).

Back
Top Bottom