Dragon Age: Origins (360/PS3/PC)

D

DagsJT

Is it an Action RPG? I'm interested in any RPG where I get to do the fighting myself, can't stand those fight by numbers shite :)

I imagine so, the last video seems to indicate you do the fighting yourself.

Nah Placebo, this is a D&D style game, from the makers of Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights, only this time they've created their own world and rules.

But it looks awesome. Neverwinter Nights is one of my favourite games EVER, and I'm so excited for Dragon Age. I'll be getting it on release date. :)

I can dig that (is Risen any good, btw?). You should try the demo, though (if they release one), or at least read a review or two. These games have epic, incredible storyline. It's made by the same guys who made Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect, if that means anything to you.

Their pedigree means I'll definitely be getting this one. KofTR2 and Mass Effect are two of the most immersve game experiences ever!

I'm trying to work out how my PC is going to handle it, I can run Oblivion on full settings smoothly, hoping that's good enough!

I can dig that (is Risen any good, btw?). You should try the demo, though (if they release one), or at least read a review or two. These games have epic, incredible storyline. It's made by the same guys who made Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect, if that means anything to you.

Risen's excellent on PC, soso on 360, my wife's playing it on that and enjoying it though. Mass Effect 1 was good and I'm looking forward to Mass Effect 2 :)

Tried the PC version, visually it's excellent, gameplay wise it's shite, can't stand those point and click excel number fighting games, I want to swing the weapons myself, aim and fire the arrows myself etc. etc. not click on some enemy and have a number float up into the air.

Fair enough. Personally, I love it. I'm 8 hours in and have barely made a dent in the main quest, it's massive. I can see why you wouldn't like it but for me it's the best game I've played all year.

Tried the game today, about an hour or so in, it's shite :(

Not even a patch on Mass Effect, it's just a screen full of numbers with no real tutorial on how things are working, and the battles are a joke.

I admit it's not very approachable, but the game is simply superb. Stick with it Dags. And set the difficulty to easy, I have no idea who the people are that can beat this on hard are. It's all about pausing all the time, which I admit wasn't a big part of mass effect. It's old skool in a new skool shirt.

Really really like it. Incredibly deep and doesn't treat you like a kid. Worry that it might prove to hard if you don't create the perfect party, but guess time will tell.

What draws me back is to visit AGAIN one of those planar fantasy worlds where a man aske me to look for her lost daughter in the next cave that it's infested with goblins. Been there and done that a lot of time ago.

The "choices" in the reviews seem to be quite obvious and shallow (you help them or loot them type...).

So, what's really really great and new in this game if you're already looted all around both Baldur's Gates and survived nights at Neverwinter?

What draws me back is to visit AGAIN one of those planar fantasy worlds where a man aske me to look for her lost daughter in the next cave that it's infested with goblins. Been there and done that a lot of time ago.

The "choices" in the reviews seem to be quite obvious and shallow (you help them or loot them type...).

So, what's really really great and new in this game if you're already looted all around both Baldur's Gates and survived nights at Neverwinter?

Choices aren't really that simple. (SPOILER, but an early one) I'm at a bit where I have to choose to kill a mother so we can use her blood to stop her possessed child, or kill the child. That's somewhat more complex...

There's also party dynamics - I have some big fella who is clearly morally, erm, jaded, so everytime I do something nice, two of my party like me more, and he likes me less!

However, all that said, I'm not very good at understanding a lot of the 'save rolls' and things in this game, so am struggling to create a balanced, effective party. Also can't find any FAQs yet to help...oh well!

As for what's new, I don't think much tbh. It's well crafted, prettier with better voice acting but really more of the same. Which is fine for me :)

Thanks for the answer! I think I'll pass this one. It may be well done, but I've got the feeling I've played it already many many times.

When will someone make a RPG game NOT based on caves, dragons, hordes from evil and this fantasy themes? Why not a Blade Runner-esque RPG, for instance? Or set in ancient Egipt with historical bits now and there...

Thanks for the answer! I think I'll pass this one. It may be well done, but I've got the feeling I've played it already many many times.

When will someone make a RPG game NOT based on caves, dragons, hordes from evil and this fantasy themes? Why not a Blade Runner-esque RPG, for instance? Or set in ancient Egipt with historical bits now and there...

Mass Effect was an interesting take but generally I agree. I suppose you could argue that the FF series is also a bit different.

I'd imagine it's due to so many people being fans of D&D esque worlds, and also being the big RPG fans.

Still, if you have some days of free time to spare, I recommend it. Only like £26 on Steam I think.

I just thought the fighting was shit to be honest. The rest of the game seemed ... meh. It was okay but it felt all a bit ... lifeless really. The fighting consisted of skating around, telling your man to shoot the arrow/hack the sword while he skates around some more continuing the same animation.

I really wanted to enjoy it, KOTOR ranks up there as one of my all-time favourite games, I enjoyed Baldurs Gate and Mass Effect, Jade Empire was quality too.

But DA:O just feels a bit lame compared to those titles.

I just thought the fighting was shit to be honest. The rest of the game seemed ... meh. It was okay but it felt all a bit ... lifeless really. The fighting consisted of skating around, telling your man to shoot the arrow/hack the sword while he skates around some more continuing the same animation.

I really wanted to enjoy it, KOTOR ranks up there as one of my all-time favourite games, I enjoyed Baldurs Gate and Mass Effect, Jade Empire was quality too.

But DA:O just feels a bit lame compared to those titles.

actually , i dont understand you at all. i completly disagree.

fighting is really really good. as a mage , i really feel tactical.

storyline is great. i am loving the game alot. finally , i think baldurs gate series has a challenge :)

by the way , i played baldurs gate ( 2 and expansion ) , never winter nights , star wars kotor ( loved it also ) and mass effect ( really loved it also , waiting for mass effect 2 ).

but of all those , i my fav was baldurs gate 2. this one is what i feel its closest to it, and my be as good as it ( its impossible to be better than baldurs gate :) )

but as you see , i am a hardcore rpg player. i really love rpgs :) ( also played arx falalis , morrowing and oblivion , final fantasy's and the excelente chrono trigger and chrono cross )

to sum it up ... dont understand how you dont like dragons age... i am loving it. bioware rulez :)

but of all those , i my fav was baldurs gate 2. this one is what i feel its closest to it, and my be as good as it ( its impossible to be better than baldurs gate :) )

A little off-topic, but...

Ultima VII and Ultima VII Serpent Isle were the pinnacle of RPGs, in my oppinion they were better than Baldur's Gate because you weren't restricted to fight and loot all the time, there was a ridiculous list of items and things to do and the secondary characters were just great and storyline deep and long. I remember having to do many many different type of things to complete a single quest.

Maybe the proble is I'm old and I've played them all and not being a fanatic of "fantasy" worlds I can't endure starting a new one...

A little off-topic, but...

Ultima VII and Ultima VII Serpent Isle were the pinnacle of RPGs, in my oppinion they were better than Baldur's Gate because you weren't restricted to fight and loot all the time, there was a ridiculous list of items and things to do and the secondary characters were just great and storyline deep and long. I remember having to do many many different type of things to complete a single quest.

Maybe the proble is I'm old and I've played them all and not being a fanatic of "fantasy" worlds I can't endure starting a new one...

damn dude a shout out to ultima!!! i remeber playing II and three on the apple II c, you had a cloth map that game with the game and that WAS your map. The game was cool but really fucking hard..

Yes I had it too!! Ultima always had things like that. I remember in Ultima VII you had a real world map so big you could have dinner with your girlfriend on it. And you had to really explore.

One of the main drawbacks I have with rpg game nowadays is that all the locations seem to be 4 or 5 houses with 10 npcs and all the quests are solved between those npcs. In iltima games you could arrive to a city with more than 100 npcs. Most of them wouldn't even talk to you, but you had not the feeling of "smallnes" I have. In Fallout 3, for example, I felt totally disappointed by this. All the "Locations" were just about 10 houses put together with 10 npcs and that was all. There was no real exploration, no feeling of grandiosity at all as I had with the Ultima series years ago.

Call me a romantic but I wish Richard Garriott would come back to shape...

Yes I had it too!! Ultima always had things like that. I remember in Ultima VII you had a real world map so big you could have dinner with your girlfriend on it. And you had to really explore.

One of the main drawbacks I have with rpg game nowadays is that all the locations seem to be 4 or 5 houses with 10 npcs and all the quests are solved between those npcs. In iltima games you could arrive to a city with more than 100 npcs. Most of them wouldn't even talk to you, but you had not the feeling of "smallnes" I have. In Fallout 3, for example, I felt totally disappointed by this. All the "Locations" were just about 10 houses put together with 10 npcs and that was all. There was no real exploration, no feeling of grandiosity at all as I had with the Ultima series years ago.

Call me a romantic but I wish Richard Garriott would come back to shape...

yeah you would always find some randomn npc in a isolated part of the town and castle and you would remember them..

I'm seeing loads of people say this is their GOTY, maybe I was too quick to dismiss it. Going to give this another go.

Yeah, spent a lot more time with it over the last week - really is superb.

My only complaint is that some of the dungeon slogging feels tacked on to increase the hours played for no really good reason. But the story is pretty solid (if a bit LotR knock off) so can't complain too much.

Also LOVE that your non-used characters level up with you. I hated games that didn't do that (anyone remember in FF3 when in the last part of the game you had to use your whole party, the majority of whom you hadn't touched since you got them?)

Back
Top Bottom