Sony PSP/Vita

Re: PSP - What do you think?

US PSP: 24 March for £130!

[03/02/05 14:54]
Plus Spider-Man 2 the movie to be included in a million Value Packs

The American arm of Sony have just confirmed that the PSP will arrive in the US on 24 March for $249.99 (about £133).

For that price, US gamers will receive a 32MB Memory Stick Duo, headphones with remote control, battery pack, AC adaptor, soft case and cleaning cloth, and demo UMD disc. The first million people to buy one will also get a copy of the Spider-Man 2 movie on UMD.

"PSP will evolve and elevate portable entertainment, giving users the freedom to play full 3D games, watch movies, listen to music and connect wirelessly on their terms, their time and their place", said Kaz Hirai, president of Sony's US computer division.

"More than ever, today's consumer demands access to entertainment outside the home without compromising quality.

"With more than 100 PSP game titles currently in development worldwide and the ability to download and listen to digital music and view feature films with breathtaking screen quality, PSP lets users control their entertainment options, all in one package." He added, before going off for a lie down in a darkened room.

The US launch line up
# Ape Escape: On the Loose (Ape Escape PSP)
# ATV Offroad Fury: Blazin' Trails
# Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower
# Dynasty Warriors
# FIFA 2005
# Gretzky NHL
# Lumines
# Metal Gear Acid
# MLB
# MVP Baseball
# NBA
# NBA Street Showdown
# Need for Speed Rivals
# NFL Street 2 Unleashed
# Rengoku: Tower of Purgatory
# Ridge Racer
# Smartbomb
# Spider-Man 2
# Tiger Woods PGA Tour
# Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix
# Twisted Metal: Head On
# Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade
# Wipeout Pure

Will it be as cheap here or will we once again get robbed blind?

Re: PSP - What do you think?

CWright said:
Will it be as cheap here or will we once again get robbed blind?

No chance of getting a fair deal I'm afraid. The retail price will roughly mirror the $ price, so expect it to be about £200 in high street stores. Amazon Pre-order is £179 at the moment.

Last edited:
Re: PSP - The Official Thread

I think I will have to pre-order one from the states then, it's a given we'd get shafted in the UK, it would be really nice if they did launch here at 130, considering Ninty have gone with a 100 for the DS here.

Europe Late For PSP Launch
SCE will slip its Q4 release plans overseas due to shortages.
By Nix

February 4, 2005 - Riding the backside of the rollercoaster that was yesterday morning's announcement of the PSP's release and price for North America, news source Bloomberg is reporting that Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has delayed the European release of the PlayStation Portable from the originally planned Q4 2004 release (which would have had the system release this March with the North American system.) Europe will now see the PSP release sometime this Spring.

Sony Computer Entertainment spokesman Kenichi Fukunaga attributes the delay to shortages of the hardware -- the system was notoriously difficult to produce in the quantities SCE originally had hopes for, and its hoped-for PSP launch of three million global units will now officially fall one million short. North America will see one million at launch, Japan has received approximately 800,000 systems since its December 12, 2004 release date.

The European launch has been said to be expected later in 2005 (dating back to a mention in October from SCE at the time of the Japanese launch announcement, but it hasn't confirmed how far back the release before now. There is still no indication how deep into Spring this release will be -- at the very least, however, Europeans will not see the system this March unless they import or travel abroad.

When is PSP coming out and how much will it be.

I'd do what Crayon is thinking of doing, just keep it and use it, then a few days before the warranty is up take it back and get a new one! Brilliant plan. The dead pixel thing seems to be a real blight on it from reports I have read, we shall just have to wait and see I suppose

Reading a few of the techy mags over here it seems the square button is close to the screen and therefore is "bad". They actually took the thing apart and analysed it. Very bright screen though and despite minor gripes I'm very happy with it.

My local import store just got 3 of these in stock. He's Selling it plus Ridge Racer for £260. I'm dieing to get hold of one. is it a good deal or should i hold out for the european release? I also heard something about region restrictions being implemented for the umd movie discs. there was something written in the psp manual if im not mistaken. any idea if its true?

Baggs said:
My local import store just got 3 of these in stock. He's Selling it plus Ridge Racer for £260. I'm dieing to get hold of one. is it a good deal or should i hold out for the european release? I also heard something about region restrictions being implemented for the umd movie discs. there was something written in the psp manual if im not mistaken. any idea if its true?

At the moment it looks like June for us Europeans due to the high demand in the US.

I had heard that UMD movies would not be able to play on any machine other than the region its designed for but everything else is region free

There are so many rumours flying around it gets pretty confusing at times. I have heard the rumours on region restrictions for movies but i've also heard japanese and european psps will have the same region code (2) as opposed to the region 1 US psp.

Also, can anyone that owns one confirm for me if the psp menu is in english? as i've seen some screenshots with japanese text and i haven't really stayed up to date with psp news lately.

Baggs said:
There are so many rumours flying around it gets pretty confusing at times. I have heard the rumours on region restrictions for movies but i've also heard japanese and european psps will have the same region code (2) as opposed to the region 1 US psp.

Also, can anyone that owns one confirm for me if the psp menu is in english? as i've seen some screenshots with japanese text and i haven't really stayed up to date with psp news lately.

When you turn it on for the first time, it asks you English or Japenese. Choose English and all menu's are in English, but this is only for the PSP menu's. All ingame menu's are in whatever language they are written (IE Ridge Racers has mostly Japenese menu's, but English text when driving).

I confirm what sodafountain says. If you're going to choose Japanese games, then choose carefully - driving games, golf games are fairly easy to play but you might have trouble with Metal Gear Acid. Wait for the games when released in the States.

By the way, I heard there is a software program costing around 1500 yen (about 7 or 8 pound) where you can convert your avi files (I think) into files for your PSP. Skimming through the article in a magazine (it was in Japanese, not my first language!) it seemed to take around 30 mins for around 2 hours of programmes on a 512mb card.

crayon said:
I confirm what sodafountain says. If you're going to choose Japanese games, then choose carefully - driving games, golf games are fairly easy to play but you might have trouble with Metal Gear Acid. Wait for the games when released in the States.

By the way, I heard there is a software program costing around 1500 yen (about 7 or 8 pound) where you can convert your avi files (I think) into files for your PSP. Skimming through the article in a magazine (it was in Japanese, not my first language!) it seemed to take around 30 mins for around 2 hours of programmes on a 512mb card.

Or do it for free :D

A simple google search for "convert avi sony psp" will find you many answers, the first one being:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000980024404/

Oops, sometimes the obvious option is easy to forget.... :mrgreen: Will check out your link. Cheers. :applause:

Late April UK launch for Sony PSP?

Sony_psp_1 Amazon has today supplied those sceptics who think that Sony’s PSP will miss its intended UK release slot of late March with some serious ammunition. Click to buy a PSP model through the online retailer and you’ll now be told not to bother the postman until at least the 29th April.

The US launch is pencilled in for a month earlier on March 24th. Still, someone will be happy. Nintendo, which will ship its DS handheld console in the UK on March 11th, now has a clear month ahead of its rival. Games Digest

I am thinking of buying one this week. £220 value pack and ridge racer and the golf game £27 each. Should I wait and buy the US version of the games or buy the Jap games and machine now then buy us games.
I also heard that the European machines will have a samsung screen which is not as good as the jap screen made by philips as the philips one is brighter and better colour.

I am seriously thinking about ordering one this weekend but not sure if I should wait the for US console.
I know it is region free however I have read that the publishers can put a region lock on their games if they wish.
My other issue is I want ridge racers, everybodys golf and ape acadamy but as the txt will be in Jap will it cause any problems witrh me enjoying the game or are they all simple games to play and understand what everything is.

Does anyone know any American websites from where I can order the PSP from. I have tried Amazon.com but they aren't listing it at the moment.

kamy100 said:
Does anyone know any American websites from where I can order the PSP from. I have tried Amazon.com but they aren't listing it at the moment.

DVD Box Office

The price on there seems to be very reasonable

How much will customs charge though?
If you get a lot of dead pixels or soemthing goes wrong with it wont you have hassle sending it back then waiting for it to be fixed or replaced?

I suppose you are right but I am willing to take that risk. A few of my mates have got the PSP from Japan and not really had a problem with it. Only one of them got hit with custom, plus at £140 you can't really go wrong even if you get hit with custom charges.

Back
Top Bottom