UFC 3

How do you do submission reversals?

I'm loving the stand up. On the previous games i didn't use the jab at all (dunno why) but now its my most used weapon and i rarely use power punches/kicks. Fights look so much more realistic and the combos I'm throwing look amazing. Even just a simple left jab, left jab, right jab, and left hook/low kick/body shot to finish look great and the good thing is you can always mix it up and jabs don't use up no way near as much stamina as power shots do.

edit: Ive just watched the SIlva vs Rampage and Sapp vs Severn video and that pretty much sums up how i used to play regarding stand up and how you see most people play. Constant power punches/kicks, if you don't use jabs try them and see how much better fights become and how much more realistic it looks.

One thing i don't do much and i need to work on is ground and pound from the guard, i just seem to want to posture up and use power shots or transition to a better position rather than pepper them a little.

Once a certain thing clicks in this you really do appreciate how good it is. If you cant get used to it just stick with because when you do you will love it. Start with the stand up and go from there and it will all eventually fall into place and you will be having some fantastic fights :)

The fighter needs to have the move, but you simply press R3 when your opponent looks to transition. I learnt the Armbar from Mount Sub Reversal with Pettis yesterday. I haven't used it on an opponent yet, and I only have it at Level 1, but I'm guessing it's a very tight Sub even for Level 1, as it's very hard to do timing wise.

There are loads available though, check the move lists of each camp.

The jab is brilliant for setting up everything else, so much quicker and effective, especially if you keep your hand off guard when out of range. Your fighters movement is so much more free. I think people get into the habit of having their guard held up at all times, you lose so much mobility doing that.

Jeez, anybody looked into the Highlight Reel Editor ? The game records every round you fight, watched some amazing matches last night from my Career. What a truly brilliant feature, watching yourself back is incredible :WOOT:

I didn't fight in the UFC until I'd had over 20 fights in the WFA. I then won my debut against a no-namer, then fought Joe Stevenson who beat me in the 3rd round of a great fight. He had much higher stats, but I gave him a great fight. I then won a few more UFC fights and fought him in the rematch, expecting to get beaten again. That fight was special. I then fought him again in a Rubber Match and subbed him in a round.

The battle I had with Jim Miller (Contender) was one of the purest Ground Battles I have ever seen in my life. Reversals, Sweeps, everything. Unbelievable. What an astonishing game this truly is.

Last edited:
It released on the 17th, and I got it a day early from Play.com, I receieved it on Thursday. It's on PS3, so it's anything but fake. ;)

oh lol im thinking SSX release date. I think thats next week or something?

So yeh ill prob wait a month or so for price drop...If I buy used will it work online or do u need online pass code?

Is this better than fight night?

You will need a Pass Code to get Online, and it blows Fight Night out of the water for me, light years ahead. Again, it's appreciated ten-fold if you have a decent understanding of MMA.

I think the limit on fights you have in career should be removed only 40 fights i want to fight until im late 40's like AI, I am bored of career already its not engaging enough for me.

I think the limit on fights you have in career should be removed only 40 fights i want to fight until im late 40's like AI, I am bored of career already its not engaging enough for me.

Really ? What Difficulty Level are you playing on ?

I feel like I've just had a real fight after mine are over. I'm having some ridiculous battles. I fought Pickett in Pride in my Career, got rocked 3-times in the first round before finally pulling guard and baiting him into a Triangle submission. A real come from behind finish, it truly captured what the UFC can be all about. :WOOT:

I didn't realise there was a limit to be honest, I haven't got long left with my fighter then. :CONFUSE:

I'm looking forward to starting a new one though, as I screwed up with regards which Camp I chose to stick with. I went for Jacksons before realising all the moves I still wanted were at Black House. Gutted was an understatement. :(

Last edited:
Really ? What Difficulty Level are you playing on ?

I feel like I've just had a real fight after mine are over. I'm having some ridiculous battles. I fought Pickett in Pride in my Career, got rocked 3-times in the first round before finally pulling guard and baiting him into a Triangle submission. A real come from behind finish, it truly captured what the UFC can be all about. :WOOT:

I didn't realise there was a limit to be honest, I haven't got long left with my fighter then. :CONFUSE:

I'm looking forward to starting a new one though, as I screwed up with regards which Camp I chose to stick with. I went for Jacksons before realising all the moves I still wanted were at Black House. Gutted was an understatement. :(

Advanced dont get me wrong its challenging in fact it still to hard for me when it comes to submissions i always lose out my problem is when say Nog keeps spamming submission after submission i cant deal with it.

There is a limit to fights which is annoying started roster career with JDS started at 20 finished at 31 thats in peak of my career for god sake.

Think im going to stay in WFA for longer if i do another as i left after 15 fights stats were not good enough. I had some epic fights but its all over to soon im fighting No 1 contender Big Nog at 46 years old i want to do that i dont see point of cap its annoying.

Looks good Jimmy. Tell us more about CM.

It's a great mode this year, a lot less faffing around than previous years, and all the monotony of ranking up your stats from previous years has gone. This system is so much better, even down to the Training Partners, and what is required skill-wise to Level Up each move. It can get very hard, but you earn the right to achieve.

I'm in my second career now, having learnt from my mistakes first time around, and enjoying this even more. The option to fight in Pride is a superb addition and really adds to the whole experience. The game is a solid 9/10 all day long, possibly 9.5 if you appreciate all the facets of MMA. It really is that good.

I play two games and two games only. PES and UFC. That's all I need. I bought UC3 and got to the 2nd level and never bothered again.

Last edited:
Watching UFC 144 last night then playing the game straight afterwards the game feels so sterile, lack of speed and lack of natural motion are the main culprits....while the game is good it really needs an overhaul to mimic the real thing.

Watching UFC 144 last night then playing the game straight afterwards the game feels so sterile, lack of speed and lack of natural motion are the main culprits....while the game is good it really needs an overhaul to mimic the real thing.

I felt the same way....every fighter has that "generic" feel, I mean when Im using the top guys like aldo/silva/gsp...there's no unique feel to them. It's a bit hard to explain it in detail but every fighter feels the same to me.

THQ need to address that for their next game. I love the game but it needs a revamp in the way fighters move (seems like it will turn into a gameplay vs animations/fluidity thing *cough PES vs Fifa cough*) although there aint another game to compete with I'm hoping they fix things like:

- Fighter movement i.e watching Cruz or Guida bounce around during a fight and pushing the pace.
- Less stiffness when striking
- Explosive strikes/combinations i.e Aldo's Leg kicks don't seem to be as effective in game as they are in real life and that left body hook to right leg kick (landed repeatedly against Hominick)
- add different ducking/weaving animations i.e. Fight Night Champion.

I like the grappling, takedown & ground side of the game but striking as well as fighter movement feels still feels outdated.

There is still a long list of improvements that i'd like to see but thats for another time.

Somebody mentioned about Career mode being capped. I can vouch for that and it was dissapointing that it forced my fighter to retire at the ripe age of 29 with a record of 48-0. There should not be any limits as to how many fights you can have but I would be fine if you were forced to retire once your fighter hit 50 years old.

I felt the same way....every fighter has that "generic" feel, I mean when Im using the top guys like aldo/silva/gsp...there's no unique feel to them. It's a bit hard to explain it in detail but every fighter feels the same to me.

:CONFUSE:

I 100% disagree with that statement. In fact, I wouldn't even know where to begin, so I'll just say, for me, it's the exact opposite. Even the likes of Nate Diaz, Donald Cerrone, Rory MacDonald, Diego Nunes, Leonard Garcia, all look/feel exactly like they should, and that's without going into the top guys and their move-sets and signature strikes, subs, etc etc. They even have Ryo Chonan with the flying scissor sub that he caught Anderson with.

Loving this game, spent 3 hours solid online last night and only lost 3. The game gives me that feeling that PES used to give when scoring. :)

I love the game but it needs a revamp in the way fighters move (seems like it will turn into a gameplay vs animations/fluidity thing *cough PES vs Fifa cough*) although there aint another game to compete with I'm hoping they fix things like:

Yeah the animations are a bit old school, if THQ manage to hold onto the license i would love to see them step up the animations big time as it would make such a difference to the game.

Do you guys think elbows, punches & knees in Side Control are way to over powered?

Last edited:
Loving this game, spent 3 hours solid online last night and only lost 3. The game gives me that feeling that PES used to give when scoring. :)

Yeah the animations are a bit old school, if THQ manage to hold onto the license i would love to see them step up the animations big time as it would make such a difference to the game.

Do you guys think elbows, punches & knees in Side Control are way to over powered?

Yes they are, most definitely. In saying that, it is easy to block them, so I guess a good defence is everything.

I bought the Season Pass which gave me Overeem as well as the Fight of the Night Pack. Rory Mcdonald, Sam Stout, Rumble Johnson, Charles Oliveria and Joe Lauzon. I've got to say, they have absolutely nailed Rory, Johnson, Charles and Joe. Sam and Alistair are pretty good too. The differing skill-sets and moves for each player is superb, and really well researched.

I'm loving the sweeps the Jits guys have, and the Wrestlers have their own set also, then you got the top-of-the-food-chain fighters who have a mixture of them all. An incredible game this.

I ventured Online the other night for only the first time, in Player Match with Simulation Energy settings, and went 14-0. :WOOT:

Do you have this on PS3 Flawed ? Do you fancy hooking up for some sparring ?

Yes they are, most definitely. In saying that, it is easy to block them, so I guess a good defence is everything.

I bought the Season Pass which gave me Overeem as well as the Fight of the Night Pack. Rory Mcdonald, Sam Stout, Rumble Johnson, Charles Oliveria and Joe Lauzon. I've got to say, they have absolutely nailed Rory, Johnson, Charles and Joe. Sam and Alistair are pretty good too. The differing skill-sets and moves for each player is superb, and really well researched.

I'm loving the sweeps the Jits guys have, and the Wrestlers have their own set also, then you got the top-of-the-food-chain fighters who have a mixture of them all. An incredible game this.

I ventured Online the other night for only the first time, in Player Match with Simulation Energy settings, and went 14-0. :WOOT:

Do you have this on PS3 Flawed ? Do you fancy hooking up for some sparring ?

360 mate, would of loved to got a game with you as well as the few mates that had the game traded it so just fighting against randoms now. Also i reckon im still only playing the game maybe half right and struggling to understand grappling (when to transition and when not to, how to block transitions and reverse them etc)

Saying that my record online is currently 19-8 so must be doing something right :)) Munoz is a monster!!

360 mate, would of loved to got a game with you as well as the few mates that had the game traded it so just fighting against randoms now. Also i reckon im still only playing the game maybe half right and struggling to understand grappling (when to transition and when not to, how to block transitions and reverse them etc)

Saying that my record online is currently 19-8 so must be doing something right :)) Munoz is a monster!!

Bummer !! That's a nightmare, I really thought you may have had it on PS3 bud. :(

It's a huge shame, as you can learn so much on this game with some good sparring and tips.

Munoz is a beast, his takedowns and 'Ground and Pound' is off the scale. Very dangerous if the fight hits the deck.

Bummer !! That's a nightmare, I really thought you may have had it on PS3 bud. :(

It's a huge shame, as you can learn so much on this game with some good sparring and tips.

Munoz is a beast, his takedowns and 'Ground and Pound' is off the scale. Very dangerous if the fight hits the deck.

I would of got it for the PS3 but i cannot stand the pad...it drives me mental :(

Yeah he's the only guy that i have no problem beating Silva and St-Pierre with :BOP:

Last edited:
I would of got it for the PS3 but i cannot stand the pad...it drives me mental :(

Tell me about it bud, I couldn't use a PS3 pad either with this game, so I use a Xbox-style PS3 pad and it's brilliant.

617sK4RebEL._AA1320_.jpg

I played some Player Matches last night with Simulation settings against a guy from Holland and had an absolute blast. He won the first fight by UD after 5 rounds, 49-46, 49-46, 48-47. He was Pettis and I was Cerrone. This kid knew his way around the game, and his striking and combinations were brilliant.

The next fight I was Guida and he was Sherk, and I dominated him on the ground with reversals and brutal ground 'n' pound and stopped him in the 3rd round.

We then had a Rubber-Match with Guida and Pettis and I stopped him in the 4th after more wrestling and ground 'n' pound.

I love how this game lets you utilise the fighters strengths exactly as they would in real-life. I always try and mimic the exact styles of the fighters, and the results work perfectly. Amazing game this.

Last edited:
Tell me about it bud, I couldn't use a PS3 pad either with this game, so I use a Xbox-style PS3 pad and it's brilliant.

617sK4RebEL._AA1320_.jpg

I played some Player Matches last night with Simulation settings against a guy from Holland and had an absolute blast. He won the first fight by UD after 5 rounds, 49-46, 49-46, 48-47. He was Pettis and I was Cerrone. This kid knew his way around the game, and his striking and combinations were brilliant.

The next fight I was Guida and he was Sherk, and I dominated him on the ground with reversals and brutal ground 'n' pound and stopped him in the 3rd round.

We then had a Rubber-Match with Guida and Pettis and I stopped him in the 4th after more wrestling and ground 'n' pound.

I love how this game lets you utilise the fighters strengths exactly as they would in real-life. I always try and mimic the exact styles of the fighters, and the results work perfectly. Amazing game this.

Yeah my problem is i dont know how each fighter is in real life :CONF: Ordered a few blu-rays to get me started :BOP:

After moving up to Division E1 i took a bit of a hammering last night, only won 5 to losing 7 :R1

Yeah my problem is i dont know how each fighter is in real life :CONF: Ordered a few blu-rays to get me started :BOP:

After moving up to Division E1 i took a bit of a hammering last night, only won 5 to losing 7 :R1

Yeah you need to get the ground game sorted unless you will struggle against the better players. The ground game is my strongest aspect of my own game, I learnt this inside out, way back when (UFC 2009).

I'll have a look to see if I have any invites left for the MMA torrent site I have a private membership to. If I do, I'll PM you it over, and you can get anything you like.

Knowing the fighters and what they are good as in real-life will stand you in great stead going forward. This dutch kid was pretty much owning me on my feet last night in a striker v striker match (Cerrone v Pettis). As soon as I took a wrestler like Guida and fought the way Guida does, he couldnt cope with me.

When going to ground Jimmy alot of people have no problem standing right up instantly...any tips?

Yeah, as soon as you hit the deck, if your on top or on your back you need to hold 'Block'. The first thing most people do is try to transistion immediately, If you block their attempt, that gives you the window to transition yourself to a more dominant position. You can also try going to Tutorials and nailing the Reversal side of the game, that's the area the will give you a huge advantage on the floor once learnt.

I got owned by this kid last night on my feet, finished me 4-times in a row with strikes, but more so, strikes to the liver. I learnt a harsh lesson in that regard last night. :(

Back
Top Bottom