ArmA 2: for PC and Xbox 360.

Placebo

Ԁlɐɔǝqo
3 May 2003
Orrefors, Sweden.
Sheffield Wednesday
Ok so I figured I really shouldn't spam the Frontlines thread as that's a fine game in its own right :)

Just found this one, new to me, my colleague Ivan demonstrating to Tiscali (Czech mag), looks nice on the big screen ;)

arma2tezz2.jpg

boga.jpg

bogb.jpg

bogd.jpg

boge.jpg

bogf.jpg

img1.jpg

I have all these in hires on my PC but unfortunately they're exclusive to certain mags so I can only show what they have released so far.

BTW pay no attention to the particle effects, they're place holders from ArmA1, explosions especially will look much, much better, I can't wait to play it on the 360 :)

It's the next iteration of the Operation Flashpoint - Operation Flashpoint: Elite - Armed Assault (or ArmA) "legacy" ;)

http://arma2.com/

For those who know the previous games they're "combat simulations" rather than the usual "shooter", large maps, as in 50 square kilometres and more, numerous weapons and vehicles that can all be used/driven/flown etc. etc. It's for the more serious gamer, those who don't mind being killed in one shot ;)

Go ANYWHERE, drive ANYTHING, shoot ANYONE!!!

Bohemia Interactive take a new step into the heart of military realism and settle another mark for true combat experience which has already earned them worldwide awards in the past.

ARMA 2 is set in a near future, year 2009, in a fictional state of Chernarus, a post-Soviet country where civil war raged for over 2 painful years. As a leader of USMC Force Recon team, you are sent with your squad to prevent further civilian casualties and ensure ongoing stability in Chernarus.

ARMA 2 is based on the latest generation technology, offering a large-scale game world, authentic and extremely detailed modern units, weapons, vehicles and environments, challenging single player and a vast array of multiplayer options.

Main Features

* Lifelike combat simulation (bullet ballistic & deflection, material penetration, etc.)
* Story driven single player full of twists and surprises
* Resource management, RPG elements
* Advanced dynamic conversation system
* Unique AI combat system
* Over 50 weapons and drivable vehicles
* Multiplayer with large scale maps for 50+ live players
* Built in mission editor

Last edited:
It's the next iteration of the Operation Flashpoint - Operation Flashpoint: Elite - Armed Assault (or ArmA) "legacy" ;)

http://arma2.com/

For those who know the previous games they're "combat simulations" rather than the usual "shooter", large maps, as in 50 square kilometres and more, numerous weapons and vehicles that can all be used/driven/flown etc. etc. It's for the more serious gamer, those who don't mind being killed in one shot ;)

It sounds awesome

ill put my name down for a Beta as well ;))

LOL well I'm afraid we'll probably be sticking with the same beta group we had for ArmA who did a really great job, but if I can sneak any info to you guys I will do ;)

To be honest I wouldn't consider it much like COD4 at all, COD4 is designed to feel like you're playing a war movie, ArmA2 is designed to feel like you're really at war ;)

COD/GRAW and the like are very much corridor shooters with scripted AI which force the player along a linear path of both story telling and experiences, ArmA2 is very open, you can achieve your objectives any way you want, attack the enemy from any distance you like, find a helicopter and attack from the air, steal an enemy tank and attack with their own vehicles, things like that, it's like a sandbox war simulator more than anything else. ArmA2 will also have RPG elements I believe, for example enter a village and you can go up to a villager and ask them questions such as have they seen any enemy forces, when, where did they go, how many, things like that :)

i think ill grab the PC ArmA demo as well and give it a go

Unfortunately it's a really old build that doesn't show it as well as it is now (currently beta 1.09 with final patch 1.11 or 1.12 imminent). But I guess it's better than nothing, the concept is the same, large open maps, numerous weapons and vehicles and such :)

The resource management side of things is pretty interesting, basically you start the next mission with the weapons/vehicles you ended the previous one with, so it's really in your best interest to stock up on weapons and vehicles if you can, one of the greatest experiences is hiding away a couple of trucks filled with machine guns and RPGs and such (of course having the enemy blow them up in front of you is not so nice!)

ArmA:Gold is about to go on sale, that's ArmA 1 plus the official expansion Queen's Gambit, no idea if there's a plan to release an updated demo, I'll find out :)

It's VERY different to CoD4, MUCH slower and realistic pace, Looking great Placebo!

The graphics look amazing - Thats real next gen to me - It looks real :shock:

If you've visited the Czech Republic it'll look even more real because it's so close to the vista you see all around you, I lived in the town where BIS are located for 3 years so when I see ArmA2 pics it makes me feel kinda homesick for the place as it looks so much like the game, I'll try to see if I've got any real pics on my HD to compare :)

There was something about the controls in ArmA I really didn't like, I was looking at the demo and thinking "wow" but as soon as I was in the game it felt really awkward. I'm hoping I don't feel the same about ArmA 2 but I'm sure I won't.

There was something about the controls in ArmA I really didn't like, I was looking at the demo and thinking "wow" but as soon as I was in the game it felt really awkward. I'm hoping I don't feel the same about ArmA 2 but I'm sure I won't.

Well part of the problem for a start is that there were so many things you can control, that put a lot of people off, personally I like the fact that you're not stuck with simple basic movement, you can lean, you can roll, you can do a diving run into prone, things like that, but it's a bit daunting for many people. Obviously for the console version we have to find a way to fit as much of the simulation into the controller as possible, was interesting doing it for Elite :)

its looks awesome, when is this out for the 360?

So far it's just dated "2008". Certainly I think it'll be the latter of 2008.

Well part of the problem for a start is that there were so many things you can control, that put a lot of people off, personally I like the fact that you're not stuck with simple basic movement, you can lean, you can roll, you can do a diving run into prone, things like that, but it's a bit daunting for many people. Obviously for the console version we have to find a way to fit as much of the simulation into the controller as possible, was interesting doing it for Elite :)

So far it's just dated "2008". Certainly I think it'll be the latter of 2008.
oh darn, thats too far away.. but it looks great

Love the grass, and the snow image looks photorealistic!

Was a bit confused with the first pics, thought it said:

Gamestar.de
One Dick Ahead

Those crazy germans and their wacky sense of humour!

I must admit I was shocked when I saw these pics, had no idea how much progress the game had made since I last saw anything of it :) Now we just need to get a really good trailer out there so people can see it in action.

Back
Top Bottom