Retro Gaming (football and others)

Re: Retro Games (football and others)

Intellivision_-_gi_1326971.jpg

We had this beast.

You flash git's we had bake bean cans and a broken ping pong ball... ;))

Lol. Same here OPM. The Sega Master System II was the first console I personally owned. Alex Kidd, Sonic and PGA Golf! Good times.

Snap, with scramble I think... :applaud:

Yea, me too.

Just looking at the Atari joystick gives me a blisted palm! (no not like that you sick freaks) remember the patented technique for 'Decathalon'? Right hand palm down on the rubber stick and 'waggle' like mad, left thumb to hurdle the stick man...

Who's sick idea was it to end that game with the 1500m 'waggle' eugh...

Going Retro.

Lately i have been buying alot of classic games for the PS1 ans PS2 as i feel they just offer something more with regard to gameplay and depth. My Wii has not had a look in. Maybe it is me but do programmers seem to go on the theory a game will sell well if it looks pretty rather than play pretty?

I am playing the old Formula 1 on PS1 and i must say for £1 it a bargain, "perhaps" a game not matched yet IMO then theres Doom and Final Doom and International Track and Field 1 + 2 all PS1 all completely playable as they were 10 years ago(gulp)

TOCA Race driver on PS2 also has me at the moment. Far superior to 2+3 IMO as it allows you to play other humans(wait for it) in the same room. Seems to me every game out now has online multiplayer but no mano v mano.

Anybody else agree with retro at the mo?

Re: Going Retro.

Lately i have been buying alot of classic games for the PS1 ans PS2 as i feel they just offer something more with regard to gameplay and depth. My Wii has not had a look in. Maybe it is me but do programmers seem to go on the theory a game will sell well if it looks pretty rather than play pretty?

I am playing the old Formula 1 on PS1 and i must say for £1 it a bargain, "perhaps" a game not matched yet IMO then theres Doom and Final Doom and International Track and Field 1 + 2 all PS1 all completely playable as they were 10 years ago(gulp)

TOCA Race driver on PS2 also has me at the moment. Far superior to 2+3 IMO as it allows you to play other humans(wait for it) in the same room. Seems to me every game out now has online multiplayer but no mano v mano.

Anybody else agree with retro at the mo?

Not gone retro unless you count still playing SWOS on my old AMIGA but I never stopped that... I do agree with the split screen mode, most games are now dropping it completely. They assume all game players only have online mates...

Games were a lot harder in years gone by, games like Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee took a month or so to finish, and that's without rescuing all of the mudokons and getting the perfect ending. I've been playing the old Crash Bandicoots as well (on the next-gen version you can finish with 100+ lives or something ridiculous, when it's as easy as that what is the point?), and Crash Team Racing on the PSX (via the PS3) as well which is a brilliant little game.

They're making games easier to appeal to a wider market, but it's a big loss for a "proper" gamer.

Can this be merged with the old retro thread that I started?

I remember when games didn't even have saving options, you had to finish all the levels with 3 lives and 1 "continue". Good times :)

One of the reasons why I find most next-gen games underwhelming is difficulty. Length is another factor that pisses me off. Games like COD4 are advertised as next-gen, amazing AI and all that stuff, but imo it was just a 4 hour hit and run from the AI that automatically aims at your head and just shoots you rather than your team mates..

Everyone is focusing on online, but I really want a good offline game with a good story. I can't even think of that many 'next gen' games that offer length and depth. Only MGS4, GTA IV, Oblivion and Bioshock come to mind....

i have been playing we7 with a masterleague team.. im deportivo la coruna. Its pretty fun, but the game isnt as great as i remember it, LOL. there is no game besides sports games that i really like on next gen. i just cant get into oblivion, grand theft i havent played in months... etc... not sure whats up

One of the reasons why I find most next-gen games underwhelming is difficulty. Length is another factor that pisses me off. Games like COD4 are advertised as next-gen, amazing AI and all that stuff, but imo it was just a 4 hour hit and run from the AI that automatically aims at your head and just shoots you rather than your team mates..

Everyone is focusing on online, but I really want a good offline game with a good story. I can't even think of that many 'next gen' games that offer length and depth. Only MGS4, GTA IV, Oblivion and Bioshock come to mind....

Mass Effect is one of the best games i´ve ever played, enjoyed it alot more than MGS 4 and GTA IV.

I enjoyed Mass Effect too, but again, I thought it was far too short. It promised minimum of 20 hours gameplay, but about 18 of those hours was exploring plain and boring planets. Took me about 1 week to finish the story.

I enjoyed Mass Effect too, but again, I thought it was far too short. It promised minimum of 20 hours gameplay, but about 18 of those hours was exploring plain and boring planets. Took me about 1 week to finish the story.

That´s true , the side missions were total crap.

My Snes collection. Unfortunately my snes broke, I need to buy one, I miss playing these games with a Snes gamepad... :)

snespk4.jpg

There's nothing quite as humiliating as being outed at a weekend dinner party as the sole attendee who hasn't played X-COM UFO Defense. You've been there, stuffing your mouth with canapés while the group swaps X-COM strategies and pleasantries, excluding you from the conversation.

Never again! Thanks to the power of Steam, you can enjoy five X-COM classics — X-COM: UFO Defense, X-COM: Apocalypse, X-COM: Interceptor, X-COM: Enforcer and X-COM: Terror From The Deep — on the cheap. How cheap? How about $13.49 USD for all five? I thought so.

They're $4.99 individusally, making the Complete Package purchase with its introductory discount a no-brainer. Should get your mouse hand nice and limber for the forthcoming sequel.

http://storefront.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=sub&SubId=964

I'm just gonna bump this, cause I need a bit of help, PS1/PSX wise.

Does anyone remember the demo disc that came in the box when you bought yours.

Mine had a red sleeve, and the only games I really remember that were on it, were Porsche Challenge and Lifeforce Tenka. I think Abes Odyssee was on it, and I remember it said on the sleeve that F1 '97 was on it, but it wasn't.

Super bump!

The Good Old Games website is doing a holiday special on nearly 300 of their games and it brought back a ton of memories while looking through their catalogue today.

Bought Cannon Fodder and Duke Nukem for something like £2 each, both working perfectly without any messing around. Also just bought Planescape: Torment which many regard as one of the best (if not the best) RPG's created and one that I never got around to playing, only cost me £4.50 or so as well :D

Fantastic site and well worth checking out. Got quite a few games earmarked for future downloads including Settlers 2, Another World, Second Sight and Freespace 2 :)

Super bump!

The Good Old Games website is doing a holiday special on nearly 300 of their games and it brought back a ton of memories while looking through their catalogue today.

Bought Cannon Fodder and Duke Nukem for something like £2 each, both working perfectly without any messing around. Also just bought Planescape: Torment which many regard as one of the best (if not the best) RPG's created and one that I never got around to playing, only cost me £4.50 or so as well :D

Fantastic site and well worth checking out. Got quite a few games earmarked for future downloads including Settlers 2, Another World, Second Sight and Freespace 2 :)

Will the games work on modern computers without doing all the ms dos crap?

I really want cannon fodder again :DD

Yep, you just click on the program and it loads just like any other game does these days :)

Back
Top Bottom