iOS Gaming

Re: iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming

When is Real Racing due out? And do we know how much it will be yet?

It was released in NZ earlier today (the devs are based in NZ) and its slowly making its way west - has hit Oz and JP stores... be here shortly I reckon!

Response is massively positive and there are loads of YouTube replays up already (early bug means the quality is wrong, but it 'works').

Local Multiplayer and online tournaments (not races yet, but time trials etc).

Looks excellent - be £6.99 I reckon. Real Tennis was up this morning, but I've been out all day and havent grabbed it yet, but will shortly...

Cheers mate. I'll look at Real Tennis in the meantime too.

Real Racing is out Monday (today) for the price of £5.99 I think.

Anyone tried X2 Football? I downloaded the Lite version and the controls and phsyics are excellent. Its got some really great reviews on the App store but I'm gonna wait for some more to see how its average pans out.

Just got Real Racing - fucking superb! Graphics have been downgraded a tad, but it still looks great for an iDevice, its fast, smooth, controls are great and the online side is looking fab.

Easy to join CloudCell (from within the game), then you can have the game link to your YouTube and Twitter accounts to post updates and videos. Once you join CloudCell, you also get entered into tournaments and time trials.

This game sets a new standard in iDevice gaming!!

X2 Football was ok, but its hard to tell how it plays without any AI which is a shame. Not sure I'll bother.

Real Tennis is pretty good, controls are quite sensitive, but once you get used to it, then its a really good tennis game.

Some great games coming out at the moment! Touch Boxing is looking the biz too!

====

EDIT: How cool! Within minutes...

YouTube - Real Racing iPhone Replay By pbb76

Cloudcell name is pbb76.

Last edited:

God, I'm so excited about the new 3.0 update. Multiplayer gaming is gonna kick serious ass haha a load of my mates have got iPhones so I just love the prospect of being able to play against them without needing a stupid WiFi connection.

What does everyone think about In-App purchases? I'm not too keen. We've had quality, free updates from Devs for their apps since 2.0 so it just feels like a kick in the teeth to have them being able to start charging us now.

God, I'm so excited about the new 3.0 update. Multiplayer gaming is gonna kick serious ass haha a load of my mates have got iPhones so I just love the prospect of being able to play against them without needing a stupid WiFi connection.

What does everyone think about In-App purchases? I'm not too keen. We've had quality, free updates from Devs for their apps since 2.0 so it just feels like a kick in the teeth to have them being able to start charging us now.

Some of the features in OS3 are really cool and gaming aside, the TomTom will be very interesting when its pricing is announced as that looks great.

As for DLC, shame as you - the Devs seem happy enough to do it for free! Can see EA having a field day, the only saving grace is the initial purchase price.

I.e. TW10 will probably be £6.99 (maybe £9.99), so perhaps they will release a new course or two for £1.99 - which really isnt bad when you consider 1 play through of the course will take around 30 mins.

Considering going to a League 1 football match costs £22 now, its not all relative!

Played Real Racing quite a bit last night and totally convinced it is awesome!

The gameplay is fast and racing AI is a real challenge. The tracks are interesting with some pretty scary moments on each track (fast chicanes, dips etc).

The career mode whilst not particularly deep in options, does have a lot of racing/divisions etc to work through and various unlocks.

But again, this game comes to life 'online'. Once registered on Cloudcell, you get entered into the lowest division and tournaments are running constantly. Its a 1 flying lap leaderboard for 10 mins of each race in the 'season' with live leaderboards. Points are then awarded after each race to determine the winner - where you can get promoted to the next division.

Throw in the YouTube/Twitter stuff and the fact you can watch replays from within the game, then I dont know where you'll find a better £5.99 app on the store!

Isn't it annoying trying to play the game while twisting it from side to side? so the screen keeps moving?

I imagine it to be like playing the xbox but my tv being rocked from side to side - therefore annoying :))

Sorry for my ignorance I haven't played any games on the Iphone.

Isn't it annoying trying to play the game while twisting it from side to side? so the screen keeps moving?

I imagine it to be like playing the xbox but my tv being rocked from side to side - therefore annoying :))

Sorry for my ignorance I haven't played any games on the Iphone.

Many games come with the option for the screen to tilt too, which is really cool - i.e. Real Racing... when you tilt the screen to steer, the horizon moves too to keep you 'level', although the 'world' tilts in game :)

Just bought Real Racing :TU:. My CloudCell name is Tim7. Had a little go on Real Football 2009 just now and it's awesome :)). I beat Portugal 3-2 with a Rooney hat trick for England after being 2-1 down and 1-0 up! Ronaldo scored a belter of a free kick for them too. The graphics are just superb.

I bought TouchCricket last night, which is like stick cricket! Awesome app for 59p and they give you different scenarios to achieve, like limited overs game, get the runs to win, or, 2nd innings of a test match, bat out for a draw. It's pretty cool. They have also submitted version 1.1 to apple which will have a 50 over mode and a Twenty20 mode.

Bought Real Tennis now too! The App store is dangerously addictive!

Last edited:

That does look good actually - been reading a bit about it, but never seen it in action before. I do know that it is set to 'autofire' in that the left side of the screen moves you, the right side aims and when your cross hairs are over someone, the game shoots at them.

Apparantly works better than it sounds...

You are right about the App Store though, its incredibly simple, (mostly) cheap which means its so easy to rack up purchases. I hate to think how much I've spent in there in the first 2 weeks of owning one of these things!

This is why I'm reluctant to Jailbreak it and get free stuff. If the devs are putting out great games from 59p - 4.99, thats more than reasonable and I'm happy to pay it to ensure it continues!

Yeah I had mine jailbroken and using cracked apps in the last couple of weeks cause I was flat broke and wanted to play Real Racing haha

Luckily, I knew it would only be the case till 3.0 so to make up for it, I've spent like £15 on the Appstore today :D

Lets Golf for 59p people, go go go!

Yeah I had mine jailbroken and using cracked apps in the last couple of weeks cause I was flat broke and wanted to play Real Racing haha

Luckily, I knew it would only be the case till 3.0 so to make up for it, I've spent like £15 on the Appstore today :D

Lets Golf for 59p people, go go go!

Lets Golf runs like a bit of a dog on my iPhone - is it smooth on yours?

Asphault4 is £.59p too - got that yesterday and its pretty good.

Finally caved in and got Zenonia too as I wanted an RPG-App and that is very good so far too.

Oh - non game related, but one of the best Apps I've got is called "Tap and Track". If anyone is thinking of losing weight, then use this - its superb. Tracks your weight, excercise and calorie intake every day. You enter in your food and its calorie value and it tracks everything.

Lost 1kg (2.2lbs) in 7 days sticking to this as a guide and using EA Fit. Who said computer games are unhealthy!

Yeah Lets Golf runs quite pants, its fun though and I can't complain for 59p!

If anyone is remotely interested in mixing music or any of the old school eJay games, I fully recommend Sonifi. Downloaded it earlier and its brilliant! I'll just let its blurb do the talking..

Sonifi is the world’s first true audio and visual remix application and protocol.

Created by BT, this application showcases futuristic new music and remixes of The Rose of Jericho from his forthcoming 2009 artist album. Sonifi is a powerful, portable, real-time remix engine.

For iPhone and iPod touch 3.0 users, a revolutionary new multi-player feature has been added.

Jam Link gives 3.0 users the ability to link with a friend (via Bluetooth) and remix live….TOGETHER. The mixmaster selects control over “Beats and Bass” or “Melody and Harmony”. Once JamLinked you and your buddy can remix, select tracks and Stutter Edit live. This is a first for any application, on any device.

In Sonifi, four channels of four unique tracks allow extreme flexibility and remix possibilities. The (4×4 matrix of) tracks can be mixed, muted or soloed and contain four completely unique elements and arrangements per-channel. There are four tracks of ripping beats to choose from, four tracks of fat bass lines, four tracks of glitchy synths and FX, and four tracks of cutting edge melodies. Everything in Sonifi happens in-time and on-beat; so making a mix is both fun and effortless.

Currently, three discrete real time effects are controllable using the X/Y axis of the iPhone or iPod touch screen: Lo-Fi, resonant high pass filter, and resonant low pass filter.

There are mesmerizing visual elements that respond elegantly to user touch as well as the frequency and amplitude information of your remix. You are not just remixing, you’re visualizing what you are creating. Finally, Sonifi contains BT’s patented Stutter Edit technology and is the first application to showcase to its abilities.

Instead of using a mouse, USB device, or other input peripheral (like you would with a computer), your phone becomes an instrument!! Simply shake the phone in one of six vectorial directions (left, right, forward, backward, up, or down) and at the next 1/8th note the Stutter Edit plugin will perform a micro-note or fill pattern repeat, some with release crashes and hits.

Basically, you shake your phone and sound like a genius. (Sorry - this is straight from the press release guys!)

Endless fun ensues!

Planned upgrades will include downloadable Sonifi media packs containing other artists songs and remixes, new visualizer elements and band & artist links.

Video:

YouTube - Sonifi for iPhone demonstration

Its very simple and easy to use once you get past the interface which I find looks confusing, but actually isn't.

I think its on the App store for £2.99!

Apps I'm most buying/playing at the mo;

Touch Grind: Finally caved in and paid £2.99 for this as I was intrigued. So far I really like it - its certainly different to anything else around and I like the high-scores and customised boards - plus doing the tricks is hard enough to be interesting.

YouTube - Iphone/touch Skate Game - Touch Grind

Arcade Pool Online: Been looking for exactly this game. A top down, arcadey style pool game (think yahoo pool) that you can play online. Has chat and rankings and plays really well.

YouTube - Arcade Pool Online iPhone Game

Gutted that in the US, they can hook their Scrabble up to YouTube and play against people online. I've got friends and family that play that all the time and it'd be cool to play against them from the iPhone :(

That looks like the Team 17 Arcade Pool game from the Amiga days, which means it's awesome. :)

That looks like the Team 17 Arcade Pool game from the Amiga days, which means it's awesome. :)

Yup, its full of awesome and VERY much like Arcade Pool. That was a great game - in them weird little flat cardboard boxes Team17 used to release games in (or 1 dodgy 3.5" floppy with "Arcade pool" in biro scribbled on a ripped label - as was the way back in the Amiga days!)

Hero of Sparta is now 59p!

However it is currently showing up as £3.49 (when you search for it, it shows as 59p), so hopefully this will be sorted soon.

EDIT: Its sorted now! :)

Last edited:

haha!

those two words 'team 17' went through my head exactly as i looked at that game...

wasted days on that game with my room-mate when i was in germany around 1994-5.

i can't quite remember now, but i think our record for getting a complete set of balls down was about 9 or 10 seconds by the end of it... brilliant game!

already mentioned it in iphone thread, but 'zen bound' is also worth checking out...

Anyone seen Firemints 'Tech Demo' of Real Racing running on iPhone 3Gs?

40 (!!!) cars on track at the same time - all running as smooth as 6 on the normal 3G.

Could this be the start of dedicated 3Gs games? iPhone certainly becoming a platform Sony and Nintendo shouldnt ignore.

My fave game at the moment is "Baseball Sluggers 3D". Really fun arcade game, nice use of the accelerometer controls and online play with leaderboards and tonnes of unlocks - well worth it.

I think I'll get Doom later. On rails shooter, but you use the accelerometer to aim at the creatures and tap to shoot. Meant to be very good - if a little short.

But I feel like 'id' should be supported over this as they plan to release a few more Doom's (RPG, Classic with wi-fi etc), Quake and others. We need people like this making games for the iDevices.

do you reckon a game like forza/GT can be played on a iphone? if it can do so then your maybe onto something. what about the ps2 version of PES/Fifa? now that will be something.

do you reckon a game like forza/GT can be played on a iphone? if it can do so then your maybe onto something. what about the ps2 version of PES/Fifa? now that will be something.

Perhaps with not as much grunt as those titles, but Real Racing on the 3GS shows that a fast 3D racing game, with 40 cars on track is possible - with a cockpit view too and online features.

PES/FIFA probably not for now due to the lack of inputs (though FIFA10 is due out). But now the iPhone can (theoretically) have joypad peripherals added, then who knows!

Finally the wait is over and Rolando 2, the iPhones first big franchise, is out.

You can grab it here for a nice price of £5.99.

IGN gave it 9 out of 10 :)

Last edited:

Technically, Rolando is superb - its just not for me gameplay wise. Can see it getting very frustrating later.

Shame as I want to like it as its a great flagship for iPhone and I guess everyone should at least try the lite version.

Back
Top Bottom