PES 2011 Demo impressions

Scored a great goal with Bayern as Klose back heeled it from about five yards out, the keeper was running to his right and Klose calmly placed it to the left of the rushing Valdes. Looked simple, yet so awesome. I've since then deleted the demo and am now waiting for the full game to arrive at my doorstep tomorrow. :)

I just had the AI score a brilliant goal against me. I'm used to scoring the odd cracker against the AI on both FIFA and PES but I usually don't concede them. Brilliant Barcelona passing move ended with a cracking Ibrahimovic volley, I probably should have recorded it. Playing the demo for nearly a month now and still see new things every game, long it may continue when I finally get my hands on the full game:WORSHIP:

Classic teams are in the game mate. You can buy them in shop :BOP:

That's good that you can buy them again. Means we don't have to play some game modes that we've had to play over and over after many years.

Of course if those modes are used in a PSN Trophy then it kills two birds with one stone, and it can be good for variety to play all the Cups and Leagues for Variety before diving into Master League.

It's doubtful the WENB Option File will fix the Classic Player Names in the first release - like last year it took a few from memory.

I used to post a lot on here back in those glory, glory days (WE7 to WE10); I was a stadium editor and patchmaker. Never got on with the newer games, so I never bothered to buy a PS3 - the fact that I've been skint for the last few years didn't help - and I've been hammering PES 2010 on PS2 for the last year or so (it's surprisingly good, by the way... better than PES6 if not as good as PES5).

Anyway, encouraged by all you lot saying that those glory, glory days are back again, I just splashed out on a PS3. Got it in a bundle with Fifa 11 (you've got to try, haven't you?) and downloaded the PES 2011 demo immediately.

I'll tell you what though, I can really see why so many people rate Fifa over PES this year - even though I now think they're wrong. First game on Fifa (semi-assisted everything) I was shaking my head, muttering "this is... really... GOOD". Fluid passing, freedom of movement, astonishing animations, all that stuff. First game on the PES demo and I was shaking my head in a different way: lousy lack of animations, gamespeed that switched between too slow and too fast in a millisecond, no advantage rule, dumb goalies, occasionally stupid ball physics, "green zone" bug, ridiculous-looking collisions... all of this stuff was very, very obvious to me in my very first game. Just for a moment, I was wondering if this was the Emperor's New Clothes, and I'd end up a Fifa fan like all the kiddies - which would be a bit undignified at my advanced age.

Funny thing is, after three or four games of Fifa, I could see through it like a wet T-shirt (except that what was underneath was less pleasing to the eye). Seriously, it only took that long to spot the flaws: awful team AI, crazy cartoon graphics, ridiculous lack of inertia, no real midfield play, total lack of individuality, pitch too small and players too big, etc etc. Sure, I'd read this stuff on Evo-Web but I wasn't projecting it onto the game - that really is what the game is like. Superficially amazing, but a load of crap once you scratch the surface. Took me less than one evening to get bored of it.

Still haven't quite clicked with the PES demo, and I can definitely see why people who've just played it a few times think it's "clunky" and "robotic" and all that jazz. You can tell, though, that this is a game with real depth. All the flaws are still very obvious, but it's satisfyingly difficult. I still can't do the things I want to do, but now I can tell that's because I haven't mastered it, rather than because the game won't let me. Those little flashes of brilliance that happen when I start to feel comfortable with the game - they're keeping me going.

Still a few things I could pop Seabass on the lip for. What's with the insane somersaults when you get tackled? Not only are they silly in themselves, but they seem to happen on fast-forward, while all around the game goes on at normal speed. And what's the point of the new defensive system, when you can still just charge into people with X and usually come away with the ball? Not keen on the way the ball sometimes spoons up in the air like it's suddenly been filled with helium. Are any of those things fixed in the final version?

I'm really looking forward to the Copa Libertadores, but I think it might drive me mad that every time there's a break in play you get the "South America" logo zooming towards you like the Bat Signal from the old Batman series. When you're playing in a darkened room, it feels like someone punching you in the eyes.

Still, I reckon I'll be trading in that copy of Fifa on Friday morning (should still get enough cash from it to make PES very cheap indeed). The PES demo didn't do what demos are supposed to do - make me think "wow" immediately - but I don't think that's the fault of the game.

Last edited:
I used to post a lot on here back in those glory, glory days (WE7 to WE10); I was a stadium editor and patchmaker. Never got on with the newer games, so I never bothered to buy a PS3 - the fact that I've been skint for the last few years didn't help - and I've been hammering PES 2010 on PS2 for the last year or so (it's surprisingly good, by the way... better than PES6 if not as good as PES5).

Anyway, encouraged by all you lot saying that those glory, glory days are back again, I just splashed out on a PS3. Got it in a bundle with Fifa 11 (you've got to try, haven't you?) and downloaded the PES 2011 demo immediately.

I'll tell you what though, I can really see why so many people rate Fifa over PES this year - even though I now think they're wrong. First game on Fifa (semi-assisted everything) I was shaking my head, muttering "this is... really... GOOD". Fluid passing, freedom of movement, astonishing animations, all that stuff. First game on the PES demo and I was shaking my head in a different way: lousy lack of animations, gamespeed that switched between too slow and too fast in a millisecond, no advantage rule, dumb goalies, occasionally stupid ball physics, "green zone" bug, ridiculous-looking collisions... all of this stuff was very, very obvious to me in my very first game. Just for a moment, I was wondering if this was the Emperor's New Clothes, and I'd end up a Fifa fan like all the kiddies - which would be a bit undignified at my advanced age.

Funny thing is, after three or four games of Fifa, I could see through it like a wet T-shirt (except that what was underneath was less pleasing to the eye). Seriously, it only took that long to spot the flaws: awful team AI, crazy cartoon graphics, ridiculous lack of inertia, no real midfield play, total lack of individuality, pitch too small and players too big, etc etc. Sure, I'd read this stuff on Evo-Web but I wasn't projecting it onto the game - that really is what the game is like. Superficially amazing, but a load of crap once you scratch the surface. Took me less than one evening to get bored of it.

Still haven't quite clicked with the PES demo, and I can definitely see why people who've just played it a few times think it's "clunky" and "robotic" and all that jazz. You can tell, though, that this is a game with real depth. All the flaws are still very obvious, but it's satisfyingly difficult. I still can't do the things I want to do, but now I can tell that's because I haven't mastered it, rather than because the game won't let me. Those little flashes of brilliance that happen when I start to feel comfortable with the game - they're keeping me going.

Still a few things I could pop Seabass on the lip for. What's with the insane somersaults when you get tackled? Not only are they silly in themselves, but they seem to happen on fast-forward, while all around the game goes on at normal speed. And what's the point of the new defensive system, when you can still just charge into people with X and usually come away with the ball? Not keen on the way the ball sometimes spoons up in the air like it's suddenly been filled with helium. Are any of those things fixed in the final version?

I'm really looking forward to the Copa Libertadores, but I think it might drive me mad that every time there's a break in play you get the "South America" logo zooming towards you like the Bat Signal from the old Batman series. When you're playing in a darkened room, it feels like someone flashing a searchlight in your eyes.

Still, I reckon I'll be trading in that copy of Fifa on Friday morning (should still get enough cash from it to make PES very cheap indeed). The PES demo didn't do what demos are supposed to do - make me think "wow" immediately - but I don't think that's the fault of the game.

Welcome back :)

I also found PES 2010 to be the best to date, once you get beneath the surface you find the backbone to PES 2011. I'm suprised that PES 2011 hasnt given you the WOW factor though from the get-go. It certainly did me, although I felt the same way about PES 2010 as you did PES 2011, early impression wise that is.

Know what you mean, I made the mistake of buying FIFA 10 and I got bored of it so quickly, I just do not pick it up and play it like I did with PES 2010, even though PES 2010 was pretty mediocre.

I won't be spending my money on FIFA 11, that's for sure.

Anyway, encouraged by all you lot saying that those glory, glory days are back again

]

I find somthing very pleasing in reading Evo Web veterans' posts:)
Although I used to only lurk (not post ) here a lot during the glory, glory days of PES1 (on PS2 - I still think it was the hardest and most cheapness-free rewarding old-gen PES) to PES10...

And I agree with every one of your paragraphs. Also was instantly impressed with FIFA's anoimations, only to start appreciating PES2011 after a week or so.
I'm also not absolutely euphorious about PES just yet - unlike PES1 (and to SLIGHTLY less extent WE7I and PES5) it does have some cheap stuff- mega agility at full speed, instant stops with full control, "great dribblers" going THROUGH defensive challenges, the soft (L1), medium (R2) and hard (R1) touches replaced with hard (R1) and soft (R2)...

But, yet, I also feel a "true return of the king" - the passing, the ball physics, the very well executed system with combined semi-auto and FANTASTIC manual passing that can be utilized together properly... Its a great feeling, to have the old friend back!:WORSHIP:

I'm suprised that PES 2011 hasnt given you the WOW factor though from the get-go. It certainly did me, although I felt the same way about PES 2010 as you did PES 2011, early impression wise that is.

I think it was partly the fact that I played FIFA first, while the demo was downloading. FIFA's a real pick-up-and-play game, and tends to reveal all of its (limited) charms on your very first go. The new PES is just the opposite, so going from one to the other probably coloured my view. As it probably did for lots of other people who've since gone out and bought FIFA, and will never play PES 2011 again... shame.

I'm an old sim obsessive, though, always have been. Self-imposed rules to avoid exploits, passing it around in midfield on versions where it was perfectly possible to just charge forward and score unrealistically, all that stuff. 30 minute games, played slow and patient. I'm hoping PES 2011 was made for me.

I think it was partly the fact that I played FIFA first, while the demo was downloading. FIFA's a real pick-up-and-play game, and tends to reveal all of its (limited) charms on your very first go. The new PES is just the opposite, so going from one to the other probably coloured my view. As it probably did for lots of other people who've since gone out and bought FIFA, and will never play PES 2011 again... shame.

I'm an old sim obsessive, though, always have been. Self-imposed rules to avoid exploits, passing it around in midfield on versions where it was perfectly possible to just charge forward and score unrealistically, all that stuff. 30 minute games, played slow and patient. I'm hoping PES 2011 was made for me.

We share the very same philosophy. Add me on PSN if you fancy hooking up for some games, you sound like my type of player. :)

We share the very same philosophy. Add me on PSN if you fancy hooking up for some games, you sound like my type of player. :)

Yeah, I will do once I've got the game (and got used to it - I'd get minced right now if I tried to play anyone who knows what they're doing).

Just had my first moment of "stand up and shout" magic with the demo, though. Losing 1-0 as Internacional, got the ball to D'Allesandro who held off the defender with one hand, rolled his studs over the ball, dragged it back and backheeled round the corner to Edu who was running forward - he hit a first-time curler which left the goalie rooted to the spot, but bounced back off the crossbar. Starting to feel very optimistic now.

I know this a bit OT for this thread, but as a next-gen noob (so much of a noob it's still "next gen" to me, rather than "current gen") I need to know about option files and so on. These days, do you just copy the option file to a memory stick, stick it in the PS3, load up the game and import it? Or is there some fancy tinkering I don't know about? And what are the kits like on option files these days - I assumed they'd just be made from the in-game editor like on PS2, but I've seen screenshots where they look like proper old-fashioned patched kits.

hi pere i have still got your we8 patch you did welcome back m8!

Cheers - those were the days. I was going completely nuts at the time, freshly dumped and out of work and stuck in my flat smoking far too much greenery, staying up until 6am listening to crazy German electronic music and tinkering with edited stadia. Haven't seen many of those old timers around here lately - Kel, IceManBergkamp, PLF, reefur, Spark, fernando. I guess they all got a life :D

Last edited:
Yeah, I will do once I've got the game (and got used to it - I'd get minced right now if I tried to play anyone who knows what they're doing).

Just had my first moment of "stand up and shout" magic with the demo, though. Losing 1-0 as Internacional, got the ball to D'Allesandro who held off the defender with one hand, rolled his studs over the ball, dragged it back and backheeled round the corner to Edu who was running forward - he hit a first-time curler which left the goalie rooted to the spot, but bounced back off the crossbar. Starting to feel very optimistic now.

I know this a bit OT for this thread, but as a next-gen noob (so much of a noob it's still "next gen" to me, rather than "current gen") I need to know about option files and so on. These days, do you just copy the option file to a memory stick, stick it in the PS3, load up the game and import it? Or is there some fancy tinkering I don't know about? And what are the kits like on option files these days - I assumed they'd just be made from the in-game editor like on PS2, but I've seen screenshots where they look like proper old-fashioned patched kits.

The kits are as good as you could hope for and are imported in via PNG's. Just download the OF to a memory stick, put it in your PS3 and press a button to copy them over. Much easier than the PS2 patching days. As for getting minced, I play to entertain myself, I dont play to win, I play to have fun, winning is just a bonus but not really important. The ability to express myself is all the matters to me personally when it comes to PES.

I love D'Alessandro, have a look in the spoiler for my own personal tribute to the great little man. :)

Last edited:

Couldn't agree more with your impressions of both games. FIFA 11 is a great game, and a fantastic package with all its bells and whistles, but its beauty is only skin deep.

I wasn't wowed by the PES demo at first either but after about 20 matches it became obvious that this year's game will be solid if not special. FIFA may have beauty but PES has depth and I can't wait for the game's release so I can dive in!

Back
Top Bottom