iOS Gaming

Re: iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming

The match engine is quite buggy though. I've seen players run to the corner flag for no apparent reason, stay there for about 10 seconds and when screen goes back to the text and it's suddenly 1-0 for some reason!

That's happened a few times now. If they can bring out a patch it would be near perfect.

The iPad is officially awesome! :)

There IS a place for the iPad. Its a high end games machine, with web, email and media capability.

More portable than a netbook, with instant on and longer battery life. Netbooks are superb for what they are, this is something different.

Its like comparing a desktop PC and a PS3. Both great, both do different things better than the other.

Dont be haterz, iPad is going to be massive!

"High end"? :LOL:

It looks interesting, but for £500? Ridiculously overpriced.

It looks interesting, but for £500? Ridiculously overpriced.

£529 actually :)

But yea, guess it is, but then the iPhone is £700+ which is stupid too, but people pay it.

Be hard to price really, as its got that 'Apple Quality' feel to it. If it was £199 say, then it would give the (sub-concious) impression of being shit.

The price will be the only thing holding it back from mass appeal - depends on how the phone stores supplement the 3G version as to how big it gets IMO.

Well, in the portable world! :)

Better than DS and certainly on a par with PSP on some games (NOVA and Real Racing spring to mind)

Obviously its going to be better than the DS and PSP. Their both nearly 6 years old. The new portable systems from Sony and Nintendo such as the 3DS will most likely have Gamecube quality graphics, and supposedly the PSP2 will feature a quad core GPU that could be near the graphic threshold of the Xbox 360!

Obviously its going to be better than the DS and PSP. Their both nearly 6 years old. The new portable systems from Sony and Nintendo such as the 3DS will most likely have Gamecube quality graphics, and supposedly the PSP2 will feature a quad core GPU that could be near the graphic threshold of the Xbox 360!

Fair point, but they arent out yet :LOL: as it stands, the iPad is the best portable device, has a comparable back catalog of games already and at a lower cost than the other hand helds.

PSP2 sounds interesting though! Though you'd probably need to carry around a car battery with you to power that!

The lower cost doesn't really count tho. For £529, you could buy a DS and every decent game on the system, same with PSP as well.

I still don't see the point in iPads and the price makes it even worse

£500 for a giant iPhone, no thanks

Ah well, each to their own!

Pretty sure people said the same thing about iPods one time...

If you're talking about the original iPod's (before the Touch), then they still are shit :LOL: They didn't do anything than a Creative player could do. In fact they had less features. Same with a Mac compared to a PC.

Old tech, big price point making it look like it's cool to have, superb marketing. That's how Apple have got where they are with their products really. But anyway, off-topic :)

Mp3 players were nothing before the ipod came along and showed the world how to mix beautiful hardware and software together.

Id never get a pc again, macs are awesome. You get what you pay for. All the macs I have had have always been reliable,never crashed, never got any virus, never locked up, overheated, needed new hardware etc.

I take it you have never used one? :lol:

Yep, my sister has one and it's overrated in my opinion. Even then, it's the OS that makes it, not the Mac itself. And with Hackintosh mods, you can technically get OSX on a PC anyway :)

I think it's pretty pointless really, and everyone knows I am not an apple hater...

The Ipad is the first apple product that I am not going to buy, like many others I just don't see the point of it and at £500 it is way to expensive. I have a Iphone, Ipod Touch and Macbook Pro and they are all superb but the Ipad is not for me.

I might pick one up in the USA in September when I go. Be cheaper there and then. Prob wouldn't use it much just like the rest of my gadgets as this is just that

I know I'm fighting a losing battle here, but it really is superb.

Yes, its pointless if you have an iPhone/iPod (hence why I got a HTC as my phone now), but its technically a brilliant bit of kit and stunning to look at.

The keyboard is a joy to use, as easy as a normal keyboard and when you do sit back and take a look at the App Store, it really is incredible the amount of quality apps available at decent prices.

As I said yesterday, each to their own - but I think if any of you had a go on one, you might change your minds and I suspect its the high price point turning most people off?

Put it this way, if money was no object and you had your desktop PC all sorted, what would you have as a portable machine?

* Laptop
* Netbook
* iPad

??

There is very little the iPad can do in relation to a netbook/laptop IMO.

Don't get me wrong its a well built piece of kit and it looks very fast and fluent but its just pointless :)

And to answer your question i would get a Touchscreen Laptop ;)

Last edited:

Don't get me wrong its a well built piece of kit and it looks very fast and fluent but its just pointless :)

And to answer your question i would get a Touchscreen Laptop ;)

Surely that is like saying a Laptop is pointless?

Its not pointless, but I'll grant its a luxury item.

If you travel alot (work or personal), then I think the iPad is a better option than taking a laptop or even a note/netbook?

So much more portable and much better battery with (most likely) a better screen.

Fighting a losing battle here eh lads! :LOL:

Netbook for £250 or an iPad for £250, I'd definately go for an iPad.

But TWICE the price? It's not even a consideration.

Netbook for £250 or an iPad for £250, I'd definately go for an iPad.

But TWICE the price? It's not even a consideration.

Yea, spose your right. Is a lot of money when you compare it with a netbook.

Thing is with Apple, they wont budge on price, so you'll never see these below the announced RRP (10th May) - until they go on Ebay when the iPad 'S' is released in 6 months :LOL:

Surely that is like saying a Laptop is pointless?

Its not pointless, but I'll grant its a luxury item.

If you travel alot (work or personal), then I think the iPad is a better option than taking a laptop or even a note/netbook?

So much more portable and much better battery with (most likely) a better screen.

Fighting a losing battle here eh lads! :LOL:

A Laptop can do a million more things than the iPad can and would be alot better for someone who travels alot

i am going to america in septemeber maybe the prices will be good then?

nice gadget to have

found the psp installements horrible to play...never liked a handheld footie game so far

Poker Smash has been released for iPhone! This game was superb on XBLA - very addictive!

PES should be released any day (maybe today).

The dev has been very active keeping people informed on the Touch Arcade boards. Today's post...

Florian said:
What I will say so that we had a core team of more than a dozen people from an award winning cell phone soccer game production tean working on this for more than a year, building on PSP graphic models and animations and the playability and smoothness is going to blow you away (and that is no marketing BS, I feel that by heart). I have seen nothing coming from my division before that has made me half as proud. Check out facebook.com/pes, there is more material than you find in this forum here...

Still: I am sure there will be a million things that one could want to add as "features" , and from a gamer perspective I would probably second almost all of them, but I am forcing me to keep in mind that this product is first of all about giving you the most playable simulation with a "easy access option" to the non core gamers. Just like in real life, everything comes at a cost, and any production decision is subject to a trade off between various options.

Having said that I promise our team here will read every single comment on the game in reviews by consumers or press and take them into account for the iterations to come.

Sounds like he is trying to set expectations low - can see why, people will be moaning like hell if this isnt feature packed etc, probably forgetting how limited the hardware is compared to a full blown console.

Personally, I felt PES on the PSP was genuinely superb, so if this anything like that, it should be great.

The lack of a tactile dpad will harm it, I have no doubts.

As long as there is a few game modes such as UCL, Master League, League/Cup and Online then it will be perfect. Also a small edit mode to change the team names wouldn't hurt either.

I cant wait for the release of Game Centre. Achievements, Friend Lists, Leaderboards and Invites across all future games will make for a far better gaming experience on the iPhone.

Back
Top Bottom