The PC Building Thread

Bitter, I'd perhaps try removing the second GPU just to see if that is causing poor airflow and hence the high temps. Even at idle they seem really high, poor airflow or not. I didn't realise it was an m-ATX board.

How many fans have you got in the case?

well currently I am quite happy running with my fan profile

currently the fan is running at 64%, isn't to noisey and my idle temps are 56 flat (on the hot one) and 39 on the cooler one.

when on load the fans will spin up more and keep the temps around 70 ish on the higher one, I won't notice the fan noise either.

I might give that a go at some point just to see, maybe even swap them over to prolong the life of the other.

I am quite confident it is the design due to the matx board as the top cards fan sits above the 2nd gpus heatsink.

my fan config is 120mm fan at the front in taking the air, but behind that I have 4 hdd's which could be warm air pushed towards the gpu's from that point.

I then have a 120mm fan on the top of the case which I presume is forcing the air out.

I do have a fan space spare on the back of the unit however because of the formation of the matx board and the aftermarket cpu cooler putting a fan directly on that might cause more harm than good but that is something I could test.

just changed the sli settings to force my gpu 2 to handle PhysX which before was set to auto and must of been using gpu1.

now the heat of the gpu 2 is going up while it is being worked and gpu 1 remains at a reasonable temp and there is not much between them now.

I am quite happy with the results

just tested BF3 for about an hour with 2048x1152 @60hz on full ultra settings except MSSA which was set to 2 instead of 4

gameplay was nice and smooth and visually looked good.

temps while maxing the card out
gpu 1 = 73
gpu 2 = 65

fan speed for gpu 1 was 78%
fan speed for gpu 1 was 71%

one thing I am not happy about is how fifa 13 plays now.

not sure what it is but I get a tiny bit of micro stutter at times but then I will get this motion blur, only way I can describe it

say for example a defender boots the ball forward and then an attacker and defender challenge, they kind of go blurred, as if your eyes when they lose focus a bit.

my gpu is hardly breaking a sweat and my cpu is chilling while all this is going on.

only think I can put it down to is my monitor but it is a 2ms monitor (apparently).

one thing I am not happy about is how fifa 13 plays now.

not sure what it is but I get a tiny bit of micro stutter at times but then I will get this motion blur, only way I can describe it

say for example a defender boots the ball forward and then an attacker and defender challenge, they kind of go blurred, as if your eyes when they lose focus a bit.

my gpu is hardly breaking a sweat and my cpu is chilling while all this is going on.

only think I can put it down to is my monitor but it is a 2ms monitor (apparently).

I had micro stutter but using these settings and is fine now:

1920x1080
High rendering
4x MSAA
Locked to 60fps (I think this is what actually fixed it)
Wait for Vsync ticked

i will try those settings, think i have already but i usually go ultra or is that high on this game..

the micro stutter is not really noticeable when i have it on windowed mode however this motion blur thing is ruining it for me.

not sure what is it

anyone know of any apps to test motion blur

BF3 seems fine however that is not as fast as fifa 13 i suppose

If you've got any spare fan slots on your case than I'd definitely add more fans. I've got two intakes on the front and two exhaust fans (one on top and one behind the CPU). I can add another two to my case if I want but this seems to keep my system nice and cool.

Fans are dirt cheap so worth trying.

yea I have a spare fan knocking about.

currently the intake and top exhaust are not running very fast they must be on a control in the bios. I could increase them as a start but then noise.

currently more concerned how crap fifa is looking on this setup

fifa 13.. I don't seem to get any micro stutter now.

I do however get a blur around players when they receive the ball.

it is as if your eyes go out of focus.

anyone know of this? and no I don't need glasses

going to install
Nvidia GeForce 310.64 Beta and give that a go.

I have read about this drive sweeper to remove old drivers.

but is it ok to use with windows 8?

I sorted fifa..
think I might be able to finally move on and stop moaning and try and enjoy the PC now.

just got to get used to windows 8 now

Bought a 7950 GPU earlier ... Then realised I won't be able to use my Nvidia 3D Vision kit. Didn't use it too much anyway so listed it for sale.

Now listed on eBay if anyone is interested in Nvidia 3D.

Also just ordered some new kit and my mate has bought my PC off me.

(Prices are exc VAT)

£134.99 x 1 - Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - OEM

£74.99 x 1 - Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard

£41.66 x 1 - Corsair Carbide 200R Compact ATX Case - Black - with FREE Corsair Dual Pack AF120 Performance Fans

£24.99 x 1 - Alpenföhn Matterhorn Pure Edition CPU Cooler (Socket LGA2011/1366/1155/1156/775/ AMD AM3/AM3+/AM2/AM2+/FM1)

£24.99 x 1 - Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (CML8GX3M2A1600C9)

£0.00 x 1 - Corsair CO-9050004-WW / 120mm Dual Pack Fans - PROMO FOR CASES!

£79.16 x 1 - XFX 850W XXX Edition Modular '80 Plus Silver' Power Supply

Already had my HIS IceQ Boost 7950 delivered but that kinda prompted the whole PC sale as the card is massive at 29.5cm long and wouldn't fit into my Fractal Design R3 case.

Now listed on eBay if anyone is interested in Nvidia 3D.

Also just ordered some new kit and my mate has bought my PC off me.

Already had my HIS IceQ Boost 7950 delivered but that kinda prompted the whole PC sale as the card is massive at 29.5cm long and wouldn't fit into my Fractal Design R3 case.

Have you listed your Nvidia 3D stuff on ebay then Dags?

Really tempted to buy this off you, as am still very torn over the 3D thing.

And if it is shite could just resell myself then I will have a really good monitor.

Buy it!

;)

I'm still keeping my BenQ XL2420T as I like it as a monitor, 120hz framerate etc. But if I wanted AMD's HD3D then I'd have to sell that as well. Bit of a pain really, a 120hz monitor should just do 3D and that be that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy it!

;)

I'm still keeping my BenQ XL2420T as I like it as a monitor, 120hz framerate etc. But if I wanted AMD's HD3D then I'd have to sell that as well. Bit of a pain really, a 120hz monitor should just do 3D and that be that.

That is the monitor I would be getting the XL2420T can get it for about £245 through work.

Then need £90 for the 3D glasses so that's why I was abit indecisive about the whole thing.

That is the monitor I would be getting the XL2420T can get it for about £245 through work.

Then need £90 for the 3D glasses so that's why I was abit indecisive about the whole thing.

You could have it for £80 delivered if you wanted it and could do bank transfer instead of through eBay. Saves fees etc then.

Paul

my code came today if you still need it?

On a different note so I'll start a separate reply, Windows 8 users can get Windows Media Centre for free currently, you go here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs it's supposed to take about 72 hours to receive the key but I requested 3 on Sunday and five days later no key :(

Edit: Spoke to MS support via chat:

Orders are being processed and you should get your free product key very soon. We appreciate your patience and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Orders are being processed and you should get your product key in the next 24-48 hours. Please provide me with your phone number for following up with the issue.

Since still never really got a reply, hopefully posting here may get a solution, basically my hard drive doesn't appear when on the computer screen so i read up and seen you have to try change drive letter and paths, all i get is this:-

issue.png

i also get an unexpected error if i try to delete it,

hopefully someone can help me with this as been dealing with this for months and want to get it sorted asap

I know this is the "PC" Building thread but was wondering if I could get some advice on a laptop? and if anyone knows any good deals? Got like £400 to spend and this is what I'm looking at...

http://www.ebuyer.com/411061-zoostorm-laptop-7873-9042?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products

Is this a good deal? Not really wanting it for gaming, more college etc but want a powerfulish one so gaming (even on low/medium haha as I realise the Intel HD 4000 isn't a monster)

Just never bought a laptop before, just wanting the best I could get for £400. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Haha I know, but you get what I mean? The majority of posts I've seen in here have been about DESKTOP PCs, so was just making sure :)

Haha I know, but you get what I mean? The majority of posts I've seen in here have been about DESKTOP PCs, so was just making sure :)

That laptop is good for the money.
You won't get anything that can play games for £400, but for £400 you should get an i5 with about 6GB of ram and a 500GB+ HD.

So that laptop is really good, but doesn't contain an OS so you would need to get yourself Windows 8 for £25 by using any Windows 7 machine and using the upgrade program, get the key then use that key to install it on that laptop.

That laptop is good for the money.
You won't get anything that can play games for £400, but for £400 you should get an i5 with about 6GB of ram and a 500GB+ HD.

So that laptop is really good, but doesn't contain an OS so you would need to get yourself Windows 8 for £25 by using any Windows 7 machine and using the upgrade program, get the key then use that key to install it on that laptop.

Cheers for the info mate.

I get Windows 8 for free via DreamSpark, through my college course so I'm sorted for an OS.

Will try get the money together now.

Back
Top Bottom