FIFA 13

Goddamn, still no console patch!!

F'n EA really dropped the ball this year. Giving us a broken f'n game on release date and not fixing it till a month later if then! Can't play CM or online! All kinds of bugs/problems everywhere!

Well they're only fixing two specific CM related freezes, there's a good five or six more, the transfer deadline day freeze, loan to buy decision freeze, just before halftime team management freeze, I can't believe any of those are due to free transfers or gameface so even if they release that update today it solves nothing.

After the update on PC, 3/4 of my save files are corrupt, just CTD's when I try to start a match. Only had one freeze in 20 hours pre patch, had two in 20 minutes with the new one.

Well they're only fixing two specific CM related freezes, there's a good five or six more, the transfer deadline day freeze, loan to buy decision freeze, just before halftime team management freeze, I can't believe any of those are due to free transfers or gameface so even if they release that update today it solves nothing.

Yeah that's what makes things even sadder!

We've basically been playing a BETA version and they're using their end consumers to Beta-Test for them and report bugs!

Shameful!

Football Manager gamers know that you won't have a bug-free game for 3 months or so after game's release date as there are usually several patches released given the complexity of the game and the extensive database, etc.

But Fifa? Looks like we have to wait just as long to play a Bug-Free FIFA this year and that's a first! It's also completely unacceptable.

I made the post yesterday as I was about to go out so I'm not sure if i managed to get through everything that I meant to.

Basically I found using players whose skills were that low made them need to actually put some effort into controlling the ball and whilst it's a bit over-exaggerated it actually feels quite realistic that they need to do that rather than it sticking to their feet most of the time. My players can't get the ball down very quickly, they struggle to get the ball away from their feet or turn instantly with it. It's what I expect and it looks realistic, after all players in real life don't always have the perfect level of ball control that they do in Fifa.

On the flip-side I feel it shows how defending has been made to tailor the general quickness of attack rather than being its own system based on stats and what not. Playing with these players isn't made difficult because of their own lack of skill, it's made harder because the computer has the unerring ability to track you down and instantly tackle you when you're close to them (say 5 yards in any direction). They don't stand off you ever it seems but instead go in for a tackle and will almost always win it regardless of which direction you or they are facing.

I really like playing with my custom made team, or any low team really. I have to play a methodical, passing game because I know I can't take advantage of speed or strength but playing against the computer is more of a chore even when matched against equally bad teams because the defensive capability of players doesn't seem to differ enough. Playing against real players is better because they will naturally stand off you more, and you can try to second guess them when they move to defend.

The defensive system feels like it's made to play against the top players in the game rather than standing on its own as a realistic defensive system. I accept that as a video game its a kind of balancing act and I'm only bothered by it because i realised it quite soon after using this team and it kind of got under my skin. I've no problems losing. If anything I feel I should concede more goals.

Last edited:
Basically I found using players whose skills were that low made them need to actually put some effort into controlling the ball and whilst it's a bit over-exaggerated it actually feels quite realistic that they need to do that rather than it sticking to their feet most of the time. My players can't get the ball down very quickly, they struggle to get the ball away from their feet or turn instantly with it. It's what I expect and it looks realistic, after all players in real life don't always have the perfect level of ball control that they do in Fifa.
I definitely agree that higher First Touch Error is more fun and more realistic. It's a shame they toned it down from the demo, but at least I can whack the slider up to compensate.

the computer has the unerring ability to track you down and instantly tackle you when you're close to them (say 5 yards in any direction). They don't stand off you ever it seems but instead go in for a tackle and will almost always win it regardless of which direction you or they are facing.
And this is still the same part I refute. Direction makes a huge difference in terms of whether they stand off or not.

The CPU defender will probably choose to close in and attempt a tackle if you allow him line of sight on the ball. If they haven't got line of sight, they don't.

It's a bit like the forward passing. If the clear forward pass is available, they will take it. If you stand there with the ball in front of them, they'll probably try and take that too. In both cases, put a body in the way and it alters their decision.

The directional trap with LT, the full shield with RT, and also LT dribbling with the ball safely on your 'outer' foot, are all good tools to deny the defender line of sight on the ball and avoid drawing that tackle.

Get decent formation and tactic... And you can outplay any AI opponent :P.

41212 (wide) works quite well, 433 works wonders too ;).

But probably my fav to put AI to shreds is using 532 and 352 <lol>.

I definitely agree that higher First Touch Error is more fun and more realistic. It's a shame they toned it down from the demo, but at least I can whack the slider up to compensate.
A really important point, I have found. Bumping the first touch error not only makes the AI ball control more realistic, it slows their attack down significantly. I can't be sure but I suspect it makes them assess their options differently too, although that also could be influenced by a higher passing error slider.

Great post nerf, even all the bits I didn't quote.

last nite i put in fifa 2010 world cup. what a fun game that was. And the ironic part is that it had no "monkey skating feeling". And presentation wise is was the best fifa ever.

I don't know what happened, but player models and the skating seem really bad in fifa13 final release. Anyway despite all the sliders i can't change the "every AI player playing like iniesta". I guess the game will soon follow pes 2013 on ebay, unless a patch magically change radically the way the game plays.

which is unfortunate because i really love CM this year. it is a very immersive game mode, simple but deep.

Another things about Fifa 13 needs to be improved like it is in PES:

1- If you have a goal kick or a foul you can not choose the player you want to pass the ball to accurately and that will cost you coinciding cheap goals. In PES you can use R3 to change the camera and choose the receiver and move him freely.

2- Editing in Fifa has some annoying problems, some times the stats of the player you edit are randomize like crazy and you can't make it default again unless you make all the changes to other players and squad to default!

3- You can't edit some simple things in game like: player positions, jersey squad numbers, player attributes, player's rate of work. You have to wait for CM which is coming late in December!! what a joy killer is that?

4- Fifa editing community is not like PES community. Not 10% of it. you can't find faces, kits, mods, tools, patches or tutorials like you can find it easily for PES. I think Fifa 13 is the best football game to date, the question is: when this will be reflected on the editing community?

I don't know what happened, but player models and the skating seem really bad in fifa13 final release. Anyway despite all the sliders i can't change the "every AI player playing like iniesta". I guess the game will soon follow pes 2013 on ebay, unless a patch magically change radically the way the game plays.

I don't find the skating too bad if the sliders are adjusted appropriately for AI and you, as a player, use the LT trigger (or LB) constantly, using RT sparingly for bursts of pace. I use the left stick by itself almost never, because without it I can better control the space and pace of the match and with it the skating feeling is the worst.

I finding it very difficult to get into Player mode. In FIFA 12 I spent almost all the game time offline, in Player/Manager mode, which allowed me to have my Virtual Pro in the team, and me to make the managerial decisions around it. I like the control the entire team rather than just the Pro; with the removal of Player/Manager mode though, I'm stuck with the idiotic CPU manager, which is currently making a complete hash of everything off the field.

Line ups are inconsistent, players played out of position, players signed and then never put into the starting line up, formations not changed depending on game situation, substitutions always like for like. It's infuriating to play, as I have no control over any of these aspects.

I'm currently on loan at Yeovil from Huddersfield, and the CPU manager splashed out £200k on Neil Harris from Southend. Not something I would've done, but still, a good signing. But now into February, after Harris signed in the first transfer window, he's never played! He just sits at the bottom of the squad list, seemingly forgotten.

I still don't quite understand the removal of the player/manager mode. If it was a 'realism' decision, it' certainly backfired from where I'm sitting.

I finding it very difficult to get into Player mode. In FIFA 12 I spent almost all the game time offline, in Player/Manager mode, which allowed me to have my Virtual Pro in the team, and me to make the managerial decisions around it. I like the control the entire team rather than just the Pro; with the removal of Player/Manager mode though, I'm stuck with the idiotic CPU manager, which is currently making a complete hash of everything off the field.

Line ups are inconsistent, players played out of position, players signed and then never put into the starting line up, formations not changed depending on game situation, substitutions always like for like. It's infuriating to play, as I have no control over any of these aspects.

I'm currently on loan at Yeovil from Huddersfield, and the CPU manager splashed out £200k on Neil Harris from Southend. Not something I would've done, but still, a good signing. But now into February, after Harris signed in the first transfer window, he's never played! He just sits at the bottom of the squad list, seemingly forgotten.

I still don't quite understand the removal of the player/manager mode. If it was a 'realism' decision, it' certainly backfired from where I'm sitting.

Yep it was a silly decision, they have already seperated the online and offline VP, (Which I think is a good idea, to stop the online players beefing up their VP's).

So why not just let you play your offline VP in Manager Mode?! seeing as it was there before it can't be that hard to do.

It was a bad decision and lots of people miss it.

Almost 3 weeks in and I'm bored shitless.

Career mode is awesome in theory. In reality, every team plays pretty much the same. The AI is counter attack happy. AI clearances nearly always land at the feet of their attackers. Other than finishing ability and pace, there is little difference between mediocre strikers and world class strikers. There's just no variation to any of the games. The goals I concede are very similar. One on ones or rebounds from a save.

Manual is pretty much gone. It's much more assisted than in the past. Especially online. The game's just stale. On the surface it's brilliant. Awesome presentation and animations. After a week or so, once you take the lid off, there's just not a great deal of depth to the gameplay. No variation.

I'm just struggling badly to enjoy it after initially being blown away by it.

I'm just struggling badly to enjoy it after initially being blown away by it.

Same here. I loved it at first. I play FIFA 08-12 many times and lived on them practically as PES was so bad for so long..

But FIFA is souless now. It plays waaaay too fast, and even with camera zoomed fully out now the pitch is still too close and games feel 100 mph.

its just not organic. I play against some kid in HMV on Friday and he was just abusing the trick stick. Puyol doing Zidane roulettes. So unreleastic.

EA will never cater for the true football lover or make the thinking man's football game because the kids wearing the diamond studded earings and Dr Dre headphones will dominate their thinking.

Every team we face play exactly the same. Career Mode is same old crap every year. Player models are still big (Michael Carrick still look too fat). Ball doesn't flow properly, it doesnt look realistic.

Kit colours are all wrong. Too bright and contrast is all over the place.

too many bad first touch from great players. I play 2v2 few weeks ago with a friend and Iniesta took 4 bad touches in the same match. Again, unlrealistic.

EA take out the trick stick, you have a FIFA Street series for that arcade crap. Make the CPU AI fun to play, its been crap in single player since time began.

Cant believe I wasted good money on this.

Is it possible to play with a friend over xbox live 2 player doing tournaments/career against the computer?

Cheers

I'm not talking about error. I'm talking about taking a measured first-touch. It's a sense of necessary control that's missing still in Fifa. These players need to do that because they don't have a great first touch but it's quite realistic that they don't take the ball in their path every time and I do like it.

'The directional trap with LT, the full shield with RT, and also LT dribbling with the ball safely on your 'outer' foot, are all good tools to deny the defender line of sight on the ball and avoid drawing that tackle.

This could absolutely solve my problems with defence but I can't seem to do it. What settings do you play on? I trap all the time but I cannot work out what shield is supposed to be. I play on default controls so RT is sprint for me.

Another things about Fifa 13 needs to be improved like it is in PES:

4- Fifa editing community is not like PES community. Not 10% of it. you can't find faces, kits, mods, tools, patches or tutorials like you can find it easily for PES. I think Fifa 13 is the best football game to date, the question is: when this will be reflected on the editing community?

Its not 10% of it (although that figure is probably wrong as when you break it down the things that are edited are basically the same there are just more people doing it for PES) because it doesnt need to be...there are tonnes of modes in fifa that destroy PES. Cameras are good out of the box as are balls, kits, stadiums etc...there is no real need to edit the only thing is the pitch which i have changed.

Its hard to describe PES its certainly not a football sim..i think it might be trying to be..ultimately i just find it boring

Almost 3 weeks in and I'm bored shitless.

Career mode is awesome in theory. In reality, every team plays pretty much the same. The AI is counter attack happy...

This might help - from the OS forum: http://www.operationsports.com/forums/ea-sports-fifa-discussion/583112-official-fifa-13-custom-team-tactics-ai-thread.html

Their spreadsheet is not completely filled out yet but you can finish most of it with the additional info found in the thread. It does take a bit of work - sacrificed a day off to enter all the tactics and assign them to every single team in the game - but it's worth it IMHO as it makes a world of difference in CPU play.

Last edited:
Same :) Starting my 4th season now (3rd with Wednesday, 1 with Newcastle when it first came out). Finished 8th last season in the EPL which surprisingly got me into the Europa league (well first qualifying round) so all being well gonna have a busy season, currently Uruguay manager as well, had a pretty decent worldcup losing in the semi final to Portugal 4-3, considering I managed to claw it back from 3-0 down to 3-3 before the late sucker punch I thought I did pretty well, hoping to get an offer from a European team or either USA/Argentina/Brazil but I guess I have to resign before I'll get any other national job offers?

This might help - from the OS forum: http://www.operationsports.com/foru...al-fifa-13-custom-team-tactics-ai-thread.html

Their spreadsheet is not completely filled out yet but you can finish most of it with the additional info found in the thread. It does take a bit of work - sacrificed a day off to enter all the tactics and assign them to every single team in the game - but it's worth it IMHO as it makes a world of difference in CPU play.

Interesting.
Would take ages to do though wouldn't it?

I'm not talking about error. I'm talking about taking a measured first-touch. It's a sense of necessary control that's missing still in Fifa. These players need to do that because they don't have a great first touch but it's quite realistic that they don't take the ball in their path every time and I do like it.

This could absolutely solve my problems with defence but I can't seem to do it. What settings do you play on? I trap all the time but I cannot work out what shield is supposed to be. I play on default controls so RT is sprint for me.

Trap is the sprint button (so RT for you) - but you have to let go of the left stick and just hold RT down. Player should then turn his back and hold ball away from defender. Pretty effective, especially whilst waiting for support down in one of the corners.

Back
Top Bottom