FIFA 16 News & Discussion Thread

have they fucked up this game with a patch or what?

another game. against low league Leeds Utd with City

lost 3-1 xD

im all over them again, they score 2 magic goals like Barca yet do nothing during the whole game. Aguero hits the bar one-on-one the ball bounces back to him, i trap the ball just to be sure, its an open net and he sends it well over...AGUERO. there was the clear message that "you can not win this". even manage to get 1 goal somehow with all out attack, but ofcourse i cant equalize because Sterling cant score one on one with controlled shot from the penalty spot...and ofcourse they score another wonder goal. im not against hard games but why the fuck the cpu makes it so easy for itself? im basicly humiliated in every game by it since i started to play again after 1-2 months

only my game is fucked up?

Last edited:
No, I've always found that the AI shots are slightly strange.

I've found - over the last few years - that World Class means the AI creates less chances but scores most of them, whereas Legendary means the AI creates more chances but misses the target by a silly amount (last time I played FIFA, the AI fed a perfect through-ball to Rooney, on his own, about 20 yards out, and he hit it so far over the bar that it nearly left the stadium).

I change the CPU shot error dependent on which difficulty I'm using (55-60 for World Class, 40-45 for Legendary).

But admittedly, I'm not enjoying the game anyway since the last patch. The difference between each team you play is minimal now, for me. If I'm using a full-strength Premier League team, against a League Two side, and I'm struggling to break through their defence (but they're happily exploiting mine), then fuck it, what's the point.

Last edited:
agree the whole game feels like where the cpu cheats on penalties in any football game. altough i play on legendary and they dont create much chance only if its a strong team but still less then me

No, I've always found that the AI shots are slightly strange.

I've found - over the last few years - that World Class means the AI creates less chances but scores most of them, whereas Legendary means the AI creates more chances but misses the target by a silly amount (last time I played FIFA, the AI fed a perfect through-ball to Rooney, on his own, about 20 yards out, and he hit it so far over the bar that it nearly left the stadium).

I change the CPU shot error dependent on which difficulty I'm using (55-60 for World Class, 40-45 for Legendary).

But admittedly, I'm not enjoying the game anyway since the last patch. The difference between each team you play is minimal now, for me. If I'm using a full-strength Premier League team, against a League Two side, and I'm struggling to break through their defence (but they're happily exploiting mine), then fuck it, what's the point.

Try different sliders, the ones i use there is big difference between city and a lower team prem club

Try different sliders, the ones i use there is big difference between city and a lower team prem club
Believe me, I have done - I've been through all of Matt10's slider sets on Operation Sports, and tried some from here too (including yours), and it's still my favourite FIFA (I downloaded the demos of the last few FIFAs, including 14 - my old favourite - and they don't compare IMO).

But for me, the AI progression up the field is far too samey, as is their defending, and it's only got worse with patches.

I played PES 2016 last night for comparison purposes, and IMO FIFA is by far the better game when it comes to the control of your own players (better response times, better dribbling, better collisions, better everything), but there's something very satisfying about thrashing a terrible team with your top-flight team 5-0 on the hardest difficulty level (even though all those goals are the same) - because it says that the difficulty level is applied "to scale" (that terrible team will play the best that they can) as opposed to "overruling" (that terrible team will play like Brazil).

I've yet to thrash a team in FIFA, as far as I can remember. Not every game in real life is a close, scrappy affair.

(For balance, PES has a similar problem, where - I posted up my results screen in a PES thread somewhere - I find every game has 3-4 goals minimum.)

EDIT: Playing PES 2013 and the older games is like reading an obituary, almost - yeah, they're not perfect, and the modern games do a lot of things better, but you remember (and it's very real, it's not an "I love retro" thing) all the things we've lost. AI that's got enough flex in it to give you a tight 2-1 game one week, and a 5-0 battering the next. Shot physics that are a lot more "wild" than what we have now (which is a good thing when you see the spin and the swerve you get on some hits, along with many more daisy-cutters and the rest of it).

Last edited:
Believe me, I have done - I've been through all of Matt10's slider sets on Operation Sports, and tried some from here too (including yours), and it's still my favourite FIFA (I downloaded the demos of the last few FIFAs, including 14 - my old favourite - and they don't compare IMO).

But for me, the AI progression up the field is far too samey, as is their defending, and it's only got worse with patches.

I played PES 2016 last night for comparison purposes, and IMO FIFA is by far the better game when it comes to the control of your own players (better response times, better dribbling, better collisions, better everything), but there's something very satisfying about thrashing a terrible team with your top-flight team 5-0 on the hardest difficulty level (even though all those goals are the same) - because it says that the difficulty level is applied "to scale" (that terrible team will play the best that they can) as opposed to "overruling" (that terrible team will play like Brazil).

I've yet to thrash a team in FIFA, as far as I can remember. Not every game in real life is a close, scrappy affair.

(For balance, PES has a similar problem, where - I posted up my results screen in a PES thread somewhere - I find every game has 3-4 goals minimum.)

EDIT: Playing PES 2013 and the older games is like reading an obituary, almost - yeah, they're not perfect, and the modern games do a lot of things better, but you remember (and it's very real, it's not an "I love retro" thing) all the things we've lost. AI that's got enough flex in it to give you a tight 2-1 game one week, and a 5-0 battering the next. Shot physics that are a lot more "wild" than what we have now (which is a good thing when you see the spin and the swerve you get on some hits, along with many more daisy-cutters and the rest of it).

This is spot on, Chris. Always enjoy your posts, and this is why. You and I have the same thoughts. It's been a frustrating 1.05 update. Somehow, I'm still working on it every night - but had to give myself to be "done" by February 1st. It's been exhausting being a beta tester for this game.

Have you also noticed the player models seem to be slightly off compared to how they were before 1.05 (or even before 1.03)? Something about them feels less "solid". Cannot quite put my finger on it.

I agree with you 100%. It's something they really need to work on in FIFA 17. Without team/player individuality, the game get's really repetitive. I will stick with PES 2013/14 because I enjoy teams playing with different tactics and skill level and the difference between average players and top players are top notch.

I spent last night with this and had some of the worst games I've had.

As Liverpool, I played Rubin Kazan at home in the Europa League, and on World Class or Legendary (particularly WC), their tiki-taka was ridiculous. Instant first-time passes all around, and I tried (over the course of three hours) fiddling with pass error, first touch error and pass speed, but they couldn't be stopped.

(It's almost as if the game goes "these guys are terrible, so they'll only hit short passes because they won't be able to accurately hit any long passes" - and then all their short passes are perfect because of how the higher difficulty levels work. So you end up with a situation where the worst teams play the most difficult-to-defend football...)

All those sliders did was mean that, occasionally, there would be a pass so ridiculously bad that would take out a member of the crowd - then, on regaining possession, the next ten passes were pixel-perfect.

I replayed the match all night to experiment with sliders and settings, and nearly every game was 0-0. So, in an effort to create a goalfest, I even set shot error to 10, for me, and reduced the CPU goalkeeper ability to 10, and all that did was send every shot straight at the keeper. I tried fully manual shooting, and had the same issue. 12 shots, 12 on target, no goals for me - to 4 shots, 1 on target, one goal for them (this was on Legendary, and they put together a first-time-passing move around my players that I could literally do nothing about because it was so fast and so perfect).

Sliders are all well and good but they don't add to the AI, or fix it, or make teams play differently. I'd go as far as saying they're pretty useless in their current implementation, without more details to adjust (cross accuracy, positional accuracy, attribute implementation severity)...

The bigger issue for me is, every game, the "possession" and the "passes complete" stats are almost exactly the same, for me and for the opposition. Altering the sliders might change those stats, but whatever they change to, they'll be the same no matter which team you play.

The quality of the chances I can create is always nullified by how perfect the AI decision-making is, and I find every time I get the ball to a striker, he's got two defenders within close proximity and the ball is just constantly knocked away. And when I get half a chance, I shoot, and because I'm not facing the goal, the resulting shot is a pea-roller.

I'm going to try reinstalling the game and installing no patches tonight, just in-case some (or all) of the above is the fault of the patches, but... If not, I'm done with playing the CPU this year.

Last edited:
Sliders dont work?

I reduced FT error and shot error to 0 and the CPU hit everything on target - even bent a ridiculous shot from out side of the area with the out side of the foot into the top corner..so id argue they do work.

Passing i have at 88% for top teams on legendary with the 12% error not being stupid passes which you see with high FT and high pass error. Try having the first touch low at around 18 and the pass error around 70..this makes a more balanced error to passing.

Also to address individuality - I have no issues with this, sure it can be improved but if i play for example lucas as an attacking midfielder then substitute him for cortinho i can certainly feel the difference and effectiveness. Likewise if I start with Sturridge up front and then bring on Benteke i play different as Benteke wins more headers so gives me a different option..playing the ball through to him is useless most of the time as he is slow - so that for me is spot on

Sliders dont work?
They have an effect, but all they do is apply the same things to all teams. For example, I played Rubin Kazan and they had a passing accuracy of 88% minimum on World Class or Legendary. Next game, against Man City, they have the same passing accuracy.

If I alter the sliders, it might drop to 80% - for both - or rise to 90% - for both. What good is that? Yeah, it plays great when I play against Man City, but not when I play against anyone else.

Altering the sliders won't add that missing variation. It'll only make it all one way or another.

I reduced FT error and shot error to 0 and the CPU hit everything on target - even bent a ridiculous shot from out side of the area with the out side of the foot into the top corner..so id argue they do work.
But again - they'll do that whether the CPU player striking the ball is Lionel Messi or Benteke or Heskey or some League Two donkey, so what's the point in the slider? Unless you're going to adjust it for every single game...

Also to address individuality - I have no issues with this, sure it can be improved but if i play for example lucas as an attacking midfielder then substitute him for cortinho i can certainly feel the difference and effectiveness. Likewise if I start with Sturridge up front and then bring on Benteke i play different as Benteke wins more headers so gives me a different option.
My own player control, and individuality, I definitely do feel. I can't argue with you on that. I love playing the game for that feel of having full control of my own players, and knowing which players to dribble with, and which to run away from defenders with.

But the opposition AI is another story.

Their defenders are always perfectly positioned (unless you tweak the sliders so much as to break the defence, and even then it's not AI players making realistic mistakes, it's just AI players deciding to stand far too far apart for no reason).

Their short passes are always quick and perfect (seemingly more so the worse a team's overall ability is - I find long-ball Premier League teams play long balls, but terrible teams realise they don't have the passing accuracy for it, and kick the ball around like Barcelona instead because their short passing ability receives a huge boost due to the difficulty level).

(You can put first touch error down, pass speed down and pass error up, but again, it doesn't stop Premier League teams and League Two teams passing with the same accuracy whether they pass long or short.)

In short... The difficulty level AI is pretty poor, and takes all kinds of shortcuts to make the match difficult for you rather than realistic. Sliders don't amend that.

I feel more dread when I'm against Barnsley than against Barcelona, because (as mfmaxpower has pointed out before now), the defensive side of the game doesn't match up to the attacking side of the game, and you end up with a situation where Barnsley are really difficult to break down, and who can score on the counter thanks to the difficulty level, whereas Barcelona are easier to break down because of their willingness to attack.

i had 3 games online last night with a mate and won 7-0, 1-0 and 1-0.

Good fun when playing a friend.
I really enjoyed playing it online for a while - more than any other football game - but the patches have made it possible to move from one end of the field to the other in a couple of easy passes again.

It's still good, but it's not what it was. Their vision has changed because of the FIFA 15 crowd, and because of the reviews I'd assume, so God knows what FIFA 17 will be like.

EDIT: Rather than make a new post for it (and this is already an essay)...

I tried your sliders and settings again tonight, hitmanuk.

Five games, three 0-0s, CPU possession 88% to 92%, and at one point West Brom put together a 36-pass move (with many of them first-time passes) - only to then randomly turn around and kick the ball out of play, as if for an injury. Garbage.

PES 2016 is not a good game, IMO, but you do find yourself playing possession football against good teams and constantly attacking against poor teams. There's no need to play any other way than "through balls to wingers" in FIFA. Against any team. It's all the same.

Definitely done with it now, player control is great, physics are great, AI is really poor.

Last edited:
I played one of the most exciting games yesterday!

(professional, quite low team at the moment - average strength 68 - 69, vanilla sliders).
I´m in the round of 16 in the german cup DFB Pokal and played against Schalke 04.
I was leading 1:0 with a goal from a corner and a shot I have never seen before in this game.
My striker Rodri stood with the back to the goal and took the cross volley, just like when one is about to perform a bicycle kick.
But he didn´t jump, just stood there with his leg up and head to the back...hard to explain. Unfortunately I missed recording it, but I was like "Whoa! What was that?".
Of course Schalke was equalizing - because of a mistake of me...my defender got the ball in the box and instead of clearing it over the line, I passed it high in the middle of the box and Schalke´s striker took it volley.
The game became more and more tense, but I felt no cheating or something. It was a tight slugfest.
Before the 90th minute I was sure, this is gonna get to overtime.
But then Schalke had an attack and took a shot from outside the box.
My keeper jumped to the right direction with his hands reached out, but the ball got deflected by my defender and flew into the other corner of the net.

Quickly substituted 3 players at once and went all out atack in the 90th minute.
Made it to one attack but my striker missed the goal....damn....out of the tournament.
But the game was so much fun!

Then the next game was a league match. My starter players were too tired because of that cup game that I lost, so I exchanged the whole squad and came up with my B squad with even weaker players.
The attributes were very noticeable, made a high pass from one wing to another and my right winger couldn´t take the ball properly cause of his low stats and it got over the line.

Really enjoying this so far!

We finally finished our sliders earlier this week, and I"m pretty content with it.

I think sliders are important this year than any other. 1.05 update really screwed up a lot of the potential FIFA 16 had.

The final sliders are really just using the rubber-banding AI logic's against themselves, certain values like marking tend to do this as it moves players up the pitch higher (or lower) than they are set as.

The main issue with 16 is that the tactics are just not as effective as they should be. Just imagine this game truly using tactics the way they should, combined with sliders, it would be quite the game to play. Forcing aggressive interceptions (without it being an option to turn on/off) mentality would be ideal as well.

Here are the final sliders, I'll post it in the slider section as well:

LbcdfQ.png

We finally finished our sliders earlier this week, and I"m pretty content with it.

I think sliders are important this year than any other. 1.05 update really screwed up a lot of the potential FIFA 16 had.

The final sliders are really just using the rubber-banding AI logic's against themselves, certain values like marking tend to do this as it moves players up the pitch higher (or lower) than they are set as.

The main issue with 16 is that the tactics are just not as effective as they should be. Just imagine this game truly using tactics the way they should, combined with sliders, it would be quite the game to play. Forcing aggressive interceptions (without it being an option to turn on/off) mentality would be ideal as well.

LbcdfQ.png

Nice one Matt! I just hope FIFA 17 addresses player individuality/team individuality and add more params on the gameplay customization.

LbcdfQ.png
hi matt, i want to try your slider settings, just want to ask what do you mean 1 values (Sandwich)? like set to 1. also what should shot power be

I really hate loan to buy bug in career mode. It is impossible to buy player after loan expires, no matter how much money you offer to the player. Thankfully, I use cheat engine to solve that but PS and XBOX players must be furious.

Last edited:
This game is super fucking bullshit online. There's blatant handicapping online and i don't why it exists, it's not placebo or physiological, it's there clear as day.

You know when it comes on because your overpaid professional players are slower and clumsier than usual, you can't seem to perform more than two consecutive passes before everything gets intercepted and you'll never get out of your half let alone get a shot on goal. Then the game rewards your retarded spamming opponent by allowing him to score or hit the bar from every 35 yarder attempt, have about 15 magic through ball one on ones and at least go up 3-0 by halftime.

I'm not shit at this game, I'm in D4 in online seasons but can't seem to progress further than that because if the asshole ping pongers and long shot jocks aren't bad enough enough, the handicap kicks in and fucks me over.

Oh and don't even get me started on the over saturated unskippable and totally unnecessary cut scenes.

This game is super fucking bullshit online. There's blatant handicapping online and i don't why it exists, it's not placebo or physiological, it's there clear as day.

You know when it comes on because your overpaid professional players are slower and clumsier than usual, you can't seem to perform more than two consecutive passes before everything gets intercepted and you'll never get out of your half let alone get a shot on goal. Then the game rewards your retarded spamming opponent by allowing him to score or hit the bar from every 35 yarder attempt, have about 15 magic through ball one on ones and at least go up 3-0 by halftime.

I'm not shit at this game, I'm in D4 in online seasons but can't seem to progress further than that because if the asshole ping pongers and long shot jocks aren't bad enough enough, the handicap kicks in and fucks me over.

Oh and don't even get me started on the over saturated unskippable and totally unnecessary cut scenes.

bro, I fully understand the bs youre going thru. at one moment i was playing like a mofo up to division one, now i cant win for shit, with shots always hitting the post and getting down to division four. i pretty much give up with this game, shame as it has so much potential

LbcdfQ.png
i played three games on legendary and the physicality is definitely there . The watch out is that in all the games i conceded bang on 45 mins. an old fifa issue that i haven't seen in 16. One of the goals felt just unstoppable.

Sliders are all well and good but they don't add to the AI, or fix it, or make teams play differently. I'd go as far as saying they're pretty useless in their current implementation, without more details to adjust (cross accuracy, positional accuracy, attribute implementation severity)...

Totally agree. Sliders are nice for marginal tweaking to one's preferences, control schemes, and ability levels, but they unfortunately don't actually "fix" any of the game's problems, which run deeper than any slider can get to.

Shit, even the damn injury frequency slider doesn't work as well as it should by now.

This is great to play online with a mate.

I play as Shaktar and my mates play as West Ham and Arsenal.

Really close games with some great gameplay.

this game makes me womit even with those sliders, the amount of cheating with the cpu is..

played the Capital One cup Final against Chelsea. I was the better all along, but the cpu only allowed 70 minutes for me to score. after that sudden change and Chelsea took control. still somehow managed to get it till the pens. all my penalties are perfect, strong right in the corner. ofcourse the cpu cheats it with a wonder save to win

nex CL quarter final against PSG at home (away 0-0). never seen such beauty that the cpu scored with Verratti (ofcourse he does it here where it matters and he couldnt score other way). THEN i leveled the game...and in the 80th minute i got a penalty and scored with Aguero....GUESS WHAT NOW! cpu pressess like a fucking idiot 6/10 crosses are off because of the sliders. and who equalizes? ?? ? WHO THE FUCK? MY OWN DEFENDER! and no not with a blooper, he headed straight into the fucking own net Van Persie World Cup style.

well FUCK THIS GAME

pardon me

this game makes me womit even with those sliders, the amount of cheating with the cpu is..

played the Capital One cup Final against Chelsea. I was the better all along, but the cpu only allowed 70 minutes for me to score. after that sudden change and Chelsea took control. still somehow managed to get it till the pens. all my penalties are perfect, strong right in the corner. ofcourse the cpu cheats it with a wonder save to win

nex CL quarter final against PSG at home (away 0-0). never seen such beauty that the cpu scored with Verratti (ofcourse he does it here where it matters and he couldnt score other way). THEN i leveled the game...and in the 80th minute i got a penalty and scored with Aguero....GUESS WHAT NOW! cpu pressess like a fucking idiot 6/10 crosses are off because of the sliders. and who equalizes? ?? ? WHO THE FUCK? MY OWN DEFENDER! and no not with a blooper, he headed straight into the fucking own net Van Persie World Cup style.

well FUCK THIS GAME

pardon me

This "handicap to make the game more difficult" days should be over. There should be enough resources, programmers and tech to make just a overall better A.I with an advanced difficulty settings system and not the lazy way of doing it. It shouldn't be so hard but ofcourse it's probably not their priority.

This "handicap to make the game more difficult" days should be over. There should be enough resources, programmers and tech to make just a overall better A.I with an advanced difficulty settings system and not the lazy way of doing it. It shouldn't be so hard but ofcourse it's probably not their priority.
Agreed, 100%. I always hope PES will step it up in this regard, because I think FIFA will always be too invested in being showy and "for the kids" (Ultimate Team) to actually care about the AI. But, by the looks of it, that'll never happen.

Got to admit though, I'd be quite happy to see a headed own-goal - you do see them in real life.

(Not to say that the silly AI pressure and cheating isn't a problem - it definitely is.)

I've started playing games on the Be A Pro camera, and I don't know if the switch from 60fps (or whatever it is) to sub-30fps affects CPU cycles, or if seeing the game from a different perspective has helped me tactically, but I've had some great games since with the sliders above.

I'm tempted to get Fifa 16 on the PSN store, it's 60% off.

I don't really want to check out reviews for this, but seem to remember it scoring overall lower than Fifa 15. Would you guys say this game is actually worse than Fifa 15? Or just didn't update 15 properly?

For me it's a better game - slower, though, and more of a grind. I can't go back.

As much as there are some pretty cheaty games on occasion (and as much as you need to use sliders if you play the AI)...

I'm tempted to get Fifa 16 on the PSN store, it's 60% off.

I don't really want to check out reviews for this, but seem to remember it scoring overall lower than Fifa 15. Would you guys say this game is actually worse than Fifa 15? Or just didn't update 15 properly?

It scored worse because when it came out it actually required a degree of learning to be good at it, that's why reviewers didn't like it and people like Asim who cant play football games properly didn't like it.

Back
Top Bottom