PES 2011 Demo impressions

So, being in the U.S., I haven't played the demo yet, but I've seen a few people say that it's hard to beat a man with speed. That is, once you get past them it's hard to stay ahead even with the likes of Messi. Is this true?

I f.uckig hope so mate, because it forces sprint w.hores to play some football and think for a change, instead of hogging it with superman and sprinting all day. Lack of skills, no football knowledge.

I hope you can injure Messi online too.

If they are clean through on goal you're not catching them but if you are well positioned, applying pressure or if they're just plain running straight towards you they wont get past you. Skilled dribbling and passing work, flat out sprinting doesn't. At least not in my experience.

Konami is taking the right direction. I don't think this game is still as good as pes 5 gameplaywise, but it is probably the second best pes i have played in 13 years!

Sprint only in bursts to get your momentum, then subtle touches of R1 or R2 whilst in motion produces lovely deft body swerves.

Yep even Badstuber can some speed if you've got your timing right. The simple R2 stop and R1 for a burst of speed is still a classic.

Konami is taking the right direction. I don't think this game is still as good as pes 5 gameplaywise, but it is probably the second best pes i have played in 13 years!

I don't know man, I absolutely loved PES5 more than anything else and I'm having a blast with only 4 teams.

First of all to give some context, I, like many, have been a Fifa fan since 08, but before that Winning Eleven (I always got the Japanese version, with John Kabira... I miss him) was my great love. I had high hopes going into the next gen of how great Pro Evo would be, and sadly with its last two efforts, it clearly never reached those heights, leaving Fifa to win me over, despite its well documented problems. With all the buzz this year surrounding the improvements to Pro Evo, my interest was piqued. Enter the demo...

It the past years this has been oft repeated and only marginally true, but in my opinion, Pro Evo is officially back. Is it perfect? No. Does it play an excellent game of football? Yes. Does it put Pro Evo back on a level playing field with Fifa for us Pro Evo converts? I say definitely yes. Having of course not played Fifa 11, I can still say with relative certainty this will be competing for my football gaming time. A lot of what I write will have Fifa as a basis for comparison, as that is what I've been playing for the past 2 years :)

Big change #1 for me is that the movement has been drastically improved. While not quite matching Fifa's freedom of movement, it's gotten a lot closer. The game feels much more 'organic', much less robotic, like a next gen game (finally). Movement with the ball feels very good, especially when you get the ball to the feet of the right player, which is where individuality shines. Whether it be Iniesta, Messi, D'allesandro etc. you feel you can do much more with them than you can with the likes of Busquets... I learned very quickly not to try to pull off too much with him. The negatives here is that I feel response times with non-elite players are a bit too slow - I found myself running the ball out of bounds when I was trying to change direction on a few occassions. This may be me getting used to the game, but right now I feel a little more can be done here.

Passing feels excellent. The power bar feels great and adds freedom, and the manual pass modifier works great as well. However I did find times where my passes would go to a player I wasn't intending to pass it to, a problem I don't have in Fifa. When it comes to individuality in passing though, again this shines through - you really feel like you can make any pass with Xavi.

Shooting - Long shots feel solid and realistic, some seem to rise too much maybe, but then on others you can really connect. Good variance overall, again very much based on who you're shooting with.

The few right stick dribbling moves I was getting used to, but it is a thousand times better than the confusing system from last year. Fifa fans used to using the right stick for stepovers will feel completely at home as it's the same system. As for all the linking of moves, I need the bloody manual cause this was complicated!

The new jostling system works very well, and makes things look a lot more realistic. I did find that sometimes I wished my player would make more of an effort to get his body between a defender coming diagonally from his backside, a la Tevez to keep the ball.

Defending feels like a skill, and I love it. I still need to improve, and I'm getting used to the new hold X and towards your goal to bide your time, but if you press tackle at the wrong time you will be in trouble! Coming from Fifa this is a big thing for me, as defending required little skill. I also love the fact that if someone tries to press from the back, more times than not they WILL be called for a foul. A problem I saw was sometimes on through balls it took a bit too long to get the defender to react and turn - and player switching is quite erratic. I need to try manual and see if this helps

The goalkeeper problems for me so far have been overstated- I played over 10 games against a friend and no goals were.

First touch, how I missed thee. It's great to again see variance based on the skill in the player of their first touch. Right now I do feel sometimes this is too pronounced, as even skilled players took one too many a bad touch, but again I'm not positive about this yet.

I will miss from FIFA the semi assisted shooting, I wish this was in the game rather than just aim left, center right, to add a bit more user skill.

Ultimately I think, for current Fifa fans who converted from Pro-Evo it will come down to what the player wants more: individuality or a slightly technically superior game. The technical superiority and fluidity of Fifa (along with its online stability) is what kept me with Fifa, but Pro Evo has significantly closed the gap, meaning that for many the technical superiority will no longer be enough to keep them away from the individuality that exists in Pro Evo in all facets of the game. How much a role personality plus plays in the new Fifa will most likely decide which game wins out this year for me.

We dont want pes 5 thats an old game and it people keep going on about it. This is pes 11 i want something different to the past. People need to forget about the past and have more ambition for the series.

No way to skip that 5 minute 42 second(yes I timed it) video I'm afraid, I just quit the PS3 menu and load up the demo again.

Does anyone know if you can change the tactics for individual players like in the old PES games? I am looking for arrows and low, medium & high defense settigns but all I can find is role change, am I missing something?

Also anyone really started to play with the gameplan stuff yet?

Has anyone figured out how to skip or cancel the aggravating video after each game!?!

Quit the demo then restart seems to be the quickest way around it. It's a pain having to reset everything though, I keep forgetting to change my controller settings to semi-assisted :RANT:.

No way to skip that 5 minute 42 second(yes I timed it) video I'm afraid, I just quit the PS3 menu and load up the demo again.

Does anyone know if you can change the tactics for individual players like in the old PES games? I am looking for arrows and low, medium & high defense settigns but all I can find is role change, am I missing something?

Also anyone really started to play with the gameplan stuff yet?

Of course, its the same as PES 10. The Gamplan is where is starts to become very deep. The AI comes into its own in this area. Have a fiddle.

Of course, its the same as PES 10. The Gamplan is where is starts to become very deep. The AI comes into its own in this area. Have a fiddle.

Agree, it's probably what's impressing me most at the moment. You can really control the way your players position and behave themselves. Having my widemen strechting the opponent's defense, then playing a throughball in between the CB and the FB is fantastic.

@stillts
Great writeup mate, I agree with everything, especially the final paragraph. For me the technical difference is now negligible, and whilst I will give the FIFA demo a proper go I know for sure I'll be playing PES for a long, long time.

Jimmy is there a way to change a players defensive mindedness then? Or put attacking arrows on them? All seems a bit limited to me.

Problem with kick off is you can actually see at times when your player receives the ball, at times you press the x button twice, then your player instantly gives the ball away :(

attacking and defensive mindedness arrows, there was also those 3 different length blue ones as well, they seem to have taken them out and replaced them with nothing.

a update in my continuing battle to get my players to make forward runs off the ball, set my SB to WB's which help a little, also upped the player support to 20, but to tell you the truth its still a bit poor all over the pitch.

if i break with my SB my wide players will just stand still or come back towards me, if i have it in CM my SB wont get forward into the space, and when im looking to make the killer final pass, my ST's are faced away from the goal or lightly ambling forward.

i think i still prefer it to fifa 10 though.

I've played a few now on the demo. Really enjoying it until i decided to try what i ALWAYS do since PES2008...try the score direct from a corner bug....guess what happened?

YouTube - PES2011 Demo GK bug

Oh dear.....this was the very first time i tried for the bug. I hope it doesn't happen very often as corners will be almost as good as a penalty online.

I've tried scoring direct from a corner plenty more times and i'm happy to say the keeper saved them all.....thank god.

I've played a few more games today and just did this...

http://www.youtube.com/user/BURNA9?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/LefTSqSFWUU

I've been playing since the ISS days, had the best online gaming of my life on PES5&6 and was part of the patching community on here for PES6.

I think the demo gameplay is great. All i need now is a good online service when the full game is out and i'm back in the game.

attacking and defensive mindedness arrows, there was also those 3 different length blue ones as well, they seem to have taken them out and replaced them with nothing.

a update in my continuing battle to get my players to make forward runs off the ball, set my SB to WB's which help a little, also upped the player support to 20, but to tell you the truth its still a bit poor all over the pitch.

if i break with my SB my wide players will just stand still or come back towards me, if i have it in CM my SB wont get forward into the space, and when im looking to make the killer final pass, my ST's are faced away from the goal or lightly ambling forward.

i think i still prefer it to fifa 10 though.

Sorry but I can't really remember what these arrows are. Can show me a screenshot? Was it in PES 2010?

I've tried scoring direct from a corner plenty more times and i'm happy to say the keeper saved them all.....thank god.

I've played a few more games today and just did this...

http://www.youtube.com/user/BURNA9?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/LefTSqSFWUU

I've been playing since the ISS days, had the best online gaming of my life on PES5&6 and was part of the patching community on here for PES6.

I think the demo gameplay is great. All i need now is a good online service when the full game is out and i'm back in the game.

Amazing goal.

Sorry but I can't really remember what these arrows are. Can show me a screenshot? Was it in PES 2010?

no idea, they were in all the ps2 pro/winning eleven games though. when you were editing a players position, there was another option to add them. in fact they are in fifa now as well.

Dont u think there are to many "amazing" goals? I didnt play demo. Isnt the game to ofensive? Everything looks just so easy :(

Back
Top Bottom