Fifa 11 Xbox 360/PS3

Re: Fifa 11

He is a really, really nice man, is Aaron. I doubt you could possibly piss him off.

:droooooooool

That's going to make manager mode sick.

4 of the main problems with Manager Mode in Fifa 10 is the repetitive/generic AI, flat atmosphere, bugs and lack of depth/authenticity i.e. no FA Cup Replays, constant rainy matches, unrealistic transfer system, etc..

With Player Personality+ and custom chants/club songs hopefully this will go a long way to solving the first two. As adaptive AI hasn't been implemented yet afaik, my concern is that scoring the same goals over again against the CPU is going to still happen ala Fifa 10 especially if they haven't removed scoring sweet spots.

Has anything about the soundtrack been announced? I thought it was entry and exit music for matches.

Nothing regarding EA trax has been announced yet. Ive just read on sweetpatch that we can add menu music which is great. I presume it's an internal solution so we won't have to play it via the XMB and stop the music ourselves before each match.

Maybe as a community we could come up with an excellent selection of songs (around 30) which get you pumped up for a match as the EA trax in Fifa in recent years have really lacked such songs but now we aren't restricted. Then come October, all those who like the playlist can purchase the songs/download them to their console and put them in Fifa 11 and enjoy.

Customising Audio
This year the first (of hopefully many) capabilities to customise the game using your own preferences have been implemented. This year they have introduced audio customisation where you can create and manage your own music playlists for menus and matches, adding your own custom chants for different teams and making each team have its own customised lists. Specifically:

My FIFA
Edit menu and favourite team music
Virtual Pro
Edit VP and Online Pro Club Music
Leagues and Teams
Edit team specific audio

http://www.sweetpatch.tv/index.cfm?articleid=6155

Last edited:

Is there any chance FIFA for PC to be next gen? Does information sheet about it?

Last edited:

romagnoli: If/when you get to play it the next time, it would be nice if you could look if the CPU team is using its players different according to their personality. Or if you won't play that much against the CPU, at least ask EA if they have been looking in to it. This could potentially make every game seem much more different than it currently does. So if the CPU have a good playmaker he will try to go through him, or a good crosser on one side he will use that one more often and so on. At the moment I don't think the CPU is aware of its own players strengths.

@ romagnoli: What is the difference between "personality" and "trait" ?
Traits are those special abilities like "Long Throw", or "Bullet Headers", or "Flair Player", or "Fan Favourite" etc.
Personality is the combination of all the attributes and traits to create the feel of an individual player.

romagnoli: If/when you get to play it the next time, it would be nice if you could look if the CPU team is using its players different according to their personality. Or if you won't play that much against the CPU, at least ask EA if they have been looking in to it. This could potentially make every game seem much more different than it currently does. So if the CPU have a good playmaker he will try to go through him, or a good crosser on one side he will use that one more often and so on. At the moment I don't think the CPU is aware of its own players strengths.

Gab, I'll try and have a look at this but it's hard to get an extended 1 v CPU at these things. People gravitated towards playing 1v1 so if you were spotted on your own then you'd be asked if you were up for a game, and I was too polite to say no!

I think the CPU was more or less the same in the one or two games I played. Whether that's because it's placeholder or not I don't know. I'd probably expect any changes to the CPU AI to be fairly subtle compared to what you and I really want to see. I think the exact way it will play will probably change as they have to tweak it for each game engine, but it won't be an overhaul.

I did see a snippet of information about FIFA 12 in one of these interviews but Google isn't coughing up the goods - I think that had some interesting clues about what EA had in mind there?

Gab, I'll try and have a look at this but it's hard to get an extended 1 v CPU at these things. People gravitated towards playing 1v1 so if you were spotted on your own then you'd be asked if you were up for a game, and I was too polite to say no!

I think the CPU was more or less the same in the one or two games I played. Whether that's because it's placeholder or not I don't know. I'd probably expect any changes to the CPU AI to be fairly subtle compared to what you and I really want to see. I think the exact way it will play will probably change as they have to tweak it for each game engine, but it won't be an overhaul.

I did see a snippet of information about FIFA 12 in one of these interviews but Google isn't coughing up the goods - I think that had some interesting clues about what EA had in mind there?

Thanks. Yeah you're probably right, it's too much to ask for already. At the moment I would even accept something simple as "if best passing central midfielder is open - pass him" and "if suck at crossing - turn inside more than cross" and so on. Those kind of things I think they should be able to do "fairly easy", but in the long run it's probably better for them to implement something more advanced that actually scanned the starting eleven and came up with different strategies to use during the game.

I'm also starting to think that the 1 vs 1 lock limit is still there but only sort of removed on corners (for corner headers only). I've sent an PM to Gary about it, hopefully he have time to answer it, or even see it for that matter. But if you have better access to him, I wouldn't mind if you asked him about it too ;)

To make assisted v manual matches more competitive, they should just do something like apply some small global stat change to all the players on the assisted team (eg. take 10% of all their players' acceleration/reaction/passing speed/accuracy stats - something that gives them a slight but noticeable hinderance and gives a fairer contest).

They should do things that make people want to try manual.

But leave assisted v assisted as is, as I guess the masses still want it.

The reason Assisted is better than Manual are only a couple of things.

100% accuracy = Should be fixed with Pro Passing

Tapping X = should be fixed with the Pro Passing power bar know as both use it to power a pass while the only difference is on Manual your directing it also.

If Pro Passing makes it more difficult to get accurate passing with assisted it could enable Manual the added advantage of having more control of where you want the ball to end up.

Hopefully true, in practise, I wonder...

Slow gamespeed setting should be slower.

Also, minor cosmetic things - kissing the badge celebration, is it already in? I've never seen it. And pulling shirt over head celebration. You could design in edit mode custom messages to be revealed on your underlying t-shirt. You would get booked if you did that one, though.

I'm not in the mood for thinking about deeper gameplay issues today.

^ yeah it would make clubs more fun.

on another note, has there been any news on the clubs front? like stopping the assisted dickheads being stupidly quick and 7ft tall?

Hopefully true, in practise, I wonder...

Slow gamespeed setting should be slower.

Also, minor cosmetic things - kissing the badge celebration, is it already in? I've never seen it. And pulling shirt over head celebration. You could design in edit mode custom messages to be revealed on your underlying t-shirt. You would get booked if you did that one, though.

I'm not in the mood for thinking about deeper gameplay issues today.

You'll have a long wait for the shirt stuff! They would also all need to be canned and then edited to match players. Very complicated when you see how poor the canned stuff is atm.

@ Roma,

Have they said anything regarding the crappy camera angles during replays? Surely they can just bin the up-the-arse freekick nonsense! Or the up-the-arse celebation stuff. All replayes should only be from off-the-pitch camera angles! It's such a simple element and really frustrating when you see how often they use these "dramatic" ones when they actually make the atmosphere worse! They don't even need to replace them, just have normal angles and it would be a huge improvement imo.

^ yeah it would make clubs more fun.

on another note, has there been any news on the clubs front? like stopping the assisted dickheads being stupidly quick and 7ft tall?

Don't think they have any info on that yet. Gary said you won't get midget goalkeepers and those bad CBs now though.

I'm also starting to think that the 1 vs 1 lock limit is still there but only sort of removed on corners (for corner headers only). I've sent an PM to Gary about it, hopefully he have time to answer it, or even see it for that matter. But if you have better access to him, I wouldn't mind if you asked him about it too ;)

This is a big thing if it's true, you get to see it more on 2vAI so we need to know if it's "fixed" or just looks "fixed"...:P

Also I doubt anyone will do 2vAI but have they looked at the player switching as player 1 I keep losing my player or having it swapped to player 2 and in a lot of cases I'm not allowed to get a player until after player 2 has passed or kicked the ball when they are on it... :RANT:

Last edited:

There's been scant news on the Clubs front other than that they will make sure random CPU plyers will be the right build for their position.

Re: passing inaccuracy, as you may have gathered from the FSB impressions and what Gary said for the Eurogamer one, it's not going to be a PES style 30 degree misdirection. There will be misdirection (I asked for more than was in the old build, and EA duly obliged by taking it up a notch in the newer code) but compared to PES a lot of the error itself comes in the form of significantly reduced pass speed and a lot of bobble.

Note that I didn't get to play with a team of less than 4 stars in the latter code so I will do so next time to see what it's like at the lowest level.

Is passing misdirection going to mean more balls not going directly to anyone, particularly on assisted? At the moment, on assisted, a pass generally either goes straight to your man, or a misdirected pass goes staight to a cpu player. There's very little in the way of passes just going into a bit of space and a race to the loose ball ensuing.

And will the cpu players be prone to as many misdirected passes, too?

Is passing misdirection going to mean more balls not going directly to anyone, particularly on assisted? At the moment, on assisted, a pass generally either goes straight to your man, or a misdirected pass goes staight to a cpu player. There's very little in the way of passes just going into a bit of space and a race to the loose ball ensuing.

And will the cpu players be prone to as many misdirected passes, too?

Good question!

Re: ball lock - the demo vid we saw was from a cross, so it isn't just corners. Whether it will just be aerial challenges I can't say but I don't see why since you could cross along the floor, and you'd expect both to be treated relatively similarly as opposed to having two completely different systems.

Winston, when the time comes you will see some cosmetic changes that you will like. Not shirts though! There weren't any camera changes yet and nothing was mentioned but I did say that I wanted EA to try and replicate TV cameras for replays. I would suspect that Konami's recent camera showings might result in EA looking to put in a few minor improvements, but there's only so much they can do in one year so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Bear in mind there is only so much we can talk about, and a fair bit of the stuff EG etc announced was news even to us, but there are some pretty sizeable cosmetic improvements coming.

Re: ball lock - the demo vid we saw was from a cross, so it isn't just corners. Whether it will just be aerial challenges I can't say but I don't see why since you could cross along the floor, and you'd expect both to be treated relatively similarly as opposed to having two completely different systems.

:WORSHIP:

Reason I got scared was because EA_PWride said that only corners where showed and that he believed it was also for freekicks. That made it sound like it was for dead ball situations only.

Winston, the passing inaccuracy in FIFA10/ WC assisted was, for the most part, due to a problem with the logic that makes the pass lead the recipient. The passer would pass in front of the recipient, but a defender would be standing right there and would intercept the ball. It's not a representation of a player misdirecting the pass, but the game not appreciating that passing to the marker is a bit silly!

The logic should be improved as part of the incremental changes EA are making, and the pro passing does include swerving the ball to avoid interception so it sounds like the logic is in there now. It isn't the sort of thing you can appreciate as fixed or broken at this stage though, not with our limited plays.

As for how passing inaccuracy manifests itself - as I said the above isn't coded inaccuracy but an AI logic flaw so it isn't scripted to go to a defender. The inaccuracy covers misdirection (like a semi pass that is wayward but can often be retrieved if in space), passing speed (like an underhit manual pass) and bobble (which makes a subsequent first time pass more likely to be even worse).

:WORSHIP:

Reason I got scared was because EA_PWride said that only corners where showed and that he believed it was also for freekicks. That made it sound like it was for dead ball situations only.

Odd. I'm sure the video was a cross - there were only three people in the box!

I'll mail the others who went to see what people remember.

A random piece of info - Gary was on the same plane as us flying over to Canada! He got stranded in Scotland by the volcanic ash. Speaking of which, needless to say I was pretty pissed off when that popped up in the news, and damn near shat myself when we hit some pretty grim turbulence over Greenland. For a couple of seconds the plane definitely stopped flying and started falling...

So would that mean that under the improved system, a misdirected pass on assisted could conceivably go just into space, much like a manual pass currently can?

And if that were the case, then we should also be seeing cpu players making misdirected passes?

I know you probably got very little game time but how did the free ball seem, I find a good 95+ percentage of the time the ball never runs free, it mostly falls to the AI, this goes with tackles missed passes and clearances..

There is always a player there, not to mention your players inability to clear a ball more than 20 yards..

This for me adds to the "whole things on rails" feeling and there are times when every single loose ball goes to the AI...

How are highlights and replays?

Did they mention that they will be making them better?

How are highlights and replays?

Did they mention that they will be making them better?

Gary said in one interview that they are working on the highlights algorithm and that they are trying to figure out how to free more memory for more (maybe longer?) highlights. I found the last part strange and made me wonder what makes FIFA so different from every other sport games that don't seem to have any limits on number of highlights.

Gab,

just had some responses. We're pretty sure it's for all aerial challenges, not just set pieces. I don't see how EA would code the game to differentiate between one and another from the perspective of the players in the middle..

How did the crossing feel Roma? I found fifa10 to have far too much scripting in the curve making some crosses look ridiculous. Had it been fixed for the WC game?

* Annoying that I haven't got the WC game yet as you could hardly tell what had been fixed in the demo. Should start to go cheap soon though *

Back
Top Bottom