PC Gaming

Thanks for the advice! :)

The question is do you have 6 RAM slots in your PC? Most only have 4.
Yeah, it has 6 slots as it's one of those X58 boards which were able to handle triple-channel RAM. I believe triple channel only got used with the first generation of Core processors (like mine, an i7 920) then got ditched.
I already have a set like this installed so I thought I would expand it and see how it goes.

I hardly play any game other than FIFA and, at times, some driving games like rFactor 2 or Grid Autosport (which, anyway, already run fine).

Yeah, the machine itself is pretty old (I started picking the parts at Christmas 2009 and finally built it at the beginning of 2010) but I swapped some parts during the years. I bought a new graphics card two years ago (the R9 270X I'm currently using) and then bought off Amazon a 500 GB SSD which I already installed Windows 10 to (not using it, yet. I'm planning to do the switch soon).

I hope to make it last at least another couple of years, then I'll buy a new one altogether.

With your current set up I would just upgrade the RAM, as TBH the frostbite engine seems very well optimised.

All games on my PC run incredibly well using Frostbite.

Then in a couple of years time you should be able to get a new i5 and graphics cards should be able to game at 4k.

With your current set up I would just upgrade the RAM
Yeah, I decided to do so.
They will come in handy also for the little photo/video editing I do with this machine after all (no need to buy a new machine just for that of course as the main duty of this PC is still gaming :P).

Thanks again for the advice! :)

Afternoon!

I'm considering to replace my current graphic card (Radeon HD 7950 3GB) and get something fresher. The number of possibilities makes me headache, so I would like to get someone's opinion and help in that topic.

Let's say I would like to spend up to £400 on that PC component. What video card is highly recommeneded now? GTX 980/TI, or is it better to be more focused on 10xx? Or is there anything completely different that I should be aware of?

Thanks! :- )

Afternoon!

I'm considering to replace my current graphic card (Radeon HD 7950 3GB) and get something fresher. The number of possibilities makes me headache, so I would like to get someone's opinion and help in that topic.

Let's say I would like to spend up to £400 on that PC component. What video card is highly recommeneded now? GTX 980/TI, or is it better to be more focused on 10xx? Or is there anything completely different that I should be aware of?

Thanks! :- )

Don't go for 900 series since they are fuked at Dx12. Either get GTx1070 or Rx480.

The GTX 980 Ti is an amazing card, don't know why you describe it as "fucked".

IT is amazing at Dx11. Right now, no point in buying 980Ti since 1070 is cheaper and performs better in Dx12. Seeing how Xbone is Dx12, newer games will be Dx12 and 980Ti will be having a hard time.

What graphics card you buy at the moment depends I would say on the resolution of games you plan to play.

1080p I would get the 1060 or 480 or possibly look at a 970 2nd hand as they sell for around £130 to £150.

The 1060 performs better in benchmarks but is also around £20 more expensive than the 480.

Also though if your looking at the 980 range, these have become pretty much the worse buy now are they are still too high and you can get the better performing 1070 for roughly the same price.

1440p or even 4k I'm interested in. Yes, I'm having a 4k monitor (TV), so it would be te run FIFA 16 for example in that resolution. As I said, I would like to spend up to £400 on a card being sure it's powerful enough to run mostly sports games (Dirt Rally, NBA 2k16, FIFA 16) on 1080p/1440p or 4k in some cases.

IT is amazing at Dx11. Right now, no point in buying 980Ti since 1070 is cheaper and performs better in Dx12. Seeing how Xbone is Dx12, newer games will be Dx12 and 980Ti will be having a hard time.
Well, I'm playing Games at 1440p and DirectX12 on my GTX 980 Ti and get amazing performances.

Well, I'm playing Games at 1440p and DirectX12 on my GTX 980 Ti and get amazing performances.

I'm playing games at 2880x1800p with my 980Ti :P

But to me, I want to stay at 60fps as much as possible since my refresh rate is 60hz and I hate screen tearing. And with Vsync the game stutters if Fps drops below 60. So I play at settings that makes minimum frame rate to 60 and average frame rate to 60+

My monitor is 900p though. So instead of sacrificing graphics, I just lower my resolution. All games worked fine except Far Cry 4 which is running at constant 75fps with microstutter mess.

I'm playing games at 2880x1800p with my 980Ti :P

But to me, I want to stay at 60fps as much as possible since my refresh rate is 60hz and I hate screen tearing. And with Vsync the game stutters if Fps drops below 60. So I play at settings that makes minimum frame rate to 60 and average frame rate to 60+

My monitor is 900p though. So instead of sacrificing graphics, I just lower my resolution. All games worked fine except Far Cry 4 which is running at constant 75fps with microstutter mess.
Well I have a 144Hz monitor with Gsync, so a much different situation because I can keep Vsync off :) Gsync is doing all the magic.

Well I have a 144Hz monitor with Gsync, so a much different situation because I can keep Vsync off :) Gsync is doing all the magic.

No Gsync monitors available in my country. Even if it was available, no way I would have paid more than 200$ for a monitor. I thought after FreeSync release Nvidia would drop their prices on Gsync. But they didn't..

So my motherboard died (MSI 970A Krait) after only 11 months no idea how long it'll take to get repaired/replaced so I'll take the opportunity to look into upgrading the CPU/motherboard, so interested in some suggestions, I'm not going to spend crazy money (probably max £200 or so), so what would be an upgrade on an AMD FX 8350 @ 4.7ghz please? :)

Edit: Ignore all that! I did some reading and seems there's no point buying the 9xxx AMD FX's as they're just overclocked 8350s so decided to order another 8350 and a better mobo than the MSI (Asus 970 Pro Gaming), also grabbed two crucial 275gb SSDs and a case for Nataska :)

Last edited:
i7's are expensive, but although I have an i7 myself they are not worth the extra money over the i5.

I don't know the price at present on i5's but I do know that Intel motherboards are also priced quite abit higher than AMD.

Looking at benchmarks the AMD 8350 is very similar to the 2500K which is the old Sandybridge, but is clearly out performed by the 3470K which is the 3rd generation i5.

We are now on the 6th Generation of iCore processors, although I suspect Haswell and Skylake i5's are still probably very pricey 2nd hand as they give relatively the same performance.

PSNow is available on PC:

So you can now stream PS3 games from the internet to your PC.
https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/explore/playstation-now/ps-now-on-pc/

Available as a 1 week trial to start with, then a staggering £12.99 a month afterwards. Yes you did read that right £12.99 a month..
Makes the Nvidia stream service at £6.49 feel like a bargain.

Anyway if you own a PC and have not yet played The Last of Us, do the 1 week trial now and play it.

Available as a 1 week trial to start with, then a staggering £12.99 a month afterwards. Yes you did read that right £12.99 a month..

Anyway if you own a PC and have not yet played The Last of Us, do the 1 week trial now and play it.
I am on laptop and I wonder are those system requirements right, because they are lower then for PS2 emulators...!?!

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to get yourself a secondhand ps3?

£12.99 a month, over a year is rather steep.

I am on laptop and I wonder are those system requirements right, because they are lower then for PS2 emulators...!?!

It is because it is not emulating the game - It is streaming from the internet.

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to get yourself a secondhand ps3?

£12.99 a month, over a year is rather steep.

I did mention in my post I think it is a rip off and very expensive. You could get a cheap 2nd hand PS3 but the problem is you then have an unnecessary paperweight.

Last edited:
Hi guys . . .I need help and wondering can anybody here help me . .. .using a Sony Vaio laptop and upgraded from 3gb ram to the max 8gb ram . . . .ran fine for 6 months but now is cutting out with a crash dump files message and is overheating very quickly. . . . resorted back to the original 3gb will that sort it out?

Hi guys . . .I need help and wondering can anybody here help me . .. .using a Sony Vaio laptop and upgraded from 3gb ram to the max 8gb ram . . . .ran fine for 6 months but now is cutting out with a crash dump files message and is overheating very quickly. . . . resorted back to the original 3gb will that sort it out?
You'd imagine so - best way is just to test it out for a while.

If it was me, dependent on how many sticks you've got, even though it's a ballache, I'd run it for a couple of days with each stick in isolation and see if you get the errors just in-case it's an issue with a specific stick.

Or, if that's too much of a pain, you could try downloading the free version of MemTest and letting it run for a good long while. That's probably the sensible option, actually... Usually works for me!

Without seeing the problem with the laptop it is hard to diagnose what the issue could be.

But if the machine keeps blue screening the issue is more than likely RAM.. But when does the machine overheat? Do the fans just go to 100% when it blue screens?

The best way to check for RAM errors is download Hirons Boot CD and run the MemTest x86 off the CD and allow it complete all the passes. If you get any RED then your RAM could be corrupt.

You'd imagine so - best way is just to test it out for a while.

If it was me, dependent on how many sticks you've got, even though it's a ballache, I'd run it for a couple of days with each stick in isolation and see if you get the errors just in-case it's an issue with a specific stick.

Or, if that's too much of a pain, you could try downloading the free version of MemTest and letting it run for a good long while. That's probably the sensible option, actually... Usually works for me!

Thanks Chris I ran the memtest and it was fine.

In that case if it is an overheating issue.

Then remove the back cover and spray with Air Duster - if you still have issues then I would recommend to change the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU and clean the fans properly.

Back
Top Bottom